Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

If I could drop a V8 into the GTI I would.

*shrugs* I don't get the V8 love. I mean, I get why people like them due to easy access to parts and power, but I'd rather do more with less.

:shrug: I'm weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Amidst and among the earlier nonsense, I mentioned I was looking for a 7 passenger beater vehicle.

What do I need to know about a '98 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 V8?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Maserati BiTurbo showcase on the Price is Right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7yX5qMfVt0

@1:37

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ozmiander posted:

...You do realize that "soccer" is originally an "english" term for the sport, "right"?

I do, but it doesn't mean the word gets used. When someone over here says the word 'soccer' they get the same sort of looks as I imagine someone in the US would if they asked you if you wanted to 'go outside and smoke some fags'

MrChips posted:

Unlike English soccer fans, American football fans don't need to be locked up in cages in the stands like zoo animals.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending football fans, just the English language! ;)

Do you sing obscene songs at American football matches?

I'd love to go to an American football match in the US. I think most people in the UK just don't know any better and go to football because it is so common.

I used to hate watching sports (other than motorsports) until i went to my first football match aged 25 or so. I live in the lovely northern bit of the UK so most of the people at matches here should be caged and view a football match as something to do at the end of a pub crawl. I think it is the crowd that makes it?

Then I discovered Rugby and it instantly ruined football for me since at the Rugby I can get a pint at my seat and it comes with a lid on to keep the rain out. And they have cheerleaders and proper halftime entertainment and play tunes when points are scored.

I suspect that American football does it even better - but I think I would miss the obscene and bizarre songs of the UK football match.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

*shrugs* I don't get the V8 love. I mean, I get why people like them due to easy access to parts and power, but I'd rather do more with less.

Nah, I get it. There's something to be said for wringing every last bit of power out of as little as possible. It's why I got the GTI to begin with. But on the other hand there is something so guttural about a V8 rumbling beneath the hood of a car that has no business messing with such raw force. As if it could kill you at a moments notice without effort, it just chooses not to....right now.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

meatpimp posted:

Amidst and among the earlier nonsense, I mentioned I was looking for a 7 passenger beater vehicle.

What do I need to know about a '98 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 V8?

Make sure the plugs are torqued correctly to try and prevent ejection. If it happens, here's one guy's fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDL3i6mT8V4

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah rear end in a top hat I took a 50% paycut what else would I be bitching about?

If STR can write 9 pages about delivering pizzas everyday and you guys can talk about smoking squirrel poo poo everyday, I can talk about whatever I want too. In this Misc. Chat Thread.

Haha. Sure you can post about whatever you want, but don't expect not to get your balls busted, take it in stride man.

MrChips posted:

There's a difference between having a couple of jail cells in a stadium, and the entire seating area being effectively a giant jail cell. Or in the case of Hillsbourough, a giant barbecue pit.

English football fans are like roving gangs creating carnage wherever they go, traveling to rival cities just to get drunk, gently caress with the locals and get into fights then get beat up by the police. The actual games aren't even the half of it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
there was this film I saw once don't remember what it was called green Street something.. Anyway it was all about the football gangs and now i know everything about it

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

there was this film I saw once don't remember what it was called green Street something.. Anyway it was all about the football gangs and now i know everything about it

Green street hooligans. It was a pretty alright movie if you don't actually give that much of a gently caress about sportball and just want to watch frodo and young ben kenobi get beat up

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cakefool posted:

I stopped on the way home to look at an NB mx5 and it didn't excite me on the slightest. Am I broken? Will I feel different when my garage is useable rather than packed full of poo poo and inaccessible?

I test-drove an Evora today, and didn't find it thrilling at all :(.
The steering was very good; the shifter was marginally better than the Spyder's floppy rubber. The pedals were very well set up for side-to-side heel-toeing, but it was hard for me to adapt because that Camry V6 had abysmal engine sound. I apparently take for granted sufficient engine noise to know where the revs are, because at 2-4k, the motor is so quiet that I didn't know if I was getting enough on the gas to blip it. And that's with the sport exhaust option and sport exhaust mode on.

Saturday is the 818 and then Sunday, the 348. At this rate, the 348 better be a magical experience to talk me out of the Spyder.

CommieGIR posted:

The GM small block is pretty small. An LS7 gets 500hp without overhead cams, without 4 valves a cylinder. It embodies doing more with less. Just less parts, instead of less displacement.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 12, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Don't Argentinian football fans throw stick of dynamite at each other?

[edit]No, they just throw them on the field.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

The GM small block is pretty small. An LS7 gets 500hp without overhead cams, without 4 valves a cylinder. It embodies doing more with less. Just less parts, instead of less displacement.

Its a 7 liter engine. Even if you cut it in half, it would be a 3.5l 4 cylinder. That's not small.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Something about big boofy bellow monsters that tear tarmac with utter ease. Sometimes more is best.

And besides, when you want to get all you can out of it...... magic happens. Plus you know, 300Kw out of 6 litres, piss of piss. 300Kw out of a 2Litre..... kinda starts to become an issue.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That said I'm capacity agnostic. 1 litre Minis are hysterical fun, 7 litre Commodres are scary as gently caress. Both rock

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

Its a 7 liter engine. Even if you cut it in half, it would be a 3.5l 4 cylinder. That's not small.

LS3 on the left, miata engine on the right:

That's pretty loving small.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CommieGIR posted:

Heretic!

HERETIC!

There's a building site near my work, and one of the workers cars, an old R30 Skyline wagon, has number plates on it which reads "I (heart symbol) BJS". I wonder how VicRoads didn't pick that up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

LS3 on the left, miata engine on the right:

That's pretty loving small.

Most of the size of that 4 cylinder is the manifolds and all the accessories...

You Am I posted:

Heretic!

HERETIC!

Yes I am.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Which are still a part of the packaging equation. To get equivalent power, you're gonna have to pack a turbo on there, not to mention the intercooler, etc.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Doing more with more is also an option.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Don't push buttons on the electronic games at resteraunt tables. They charge you for that poo poo. Fuckers. I showed them tho I ripped the entire receipt roll outta that bitch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Which are still a part of the packaging equation. To get equivalent power, you're gonna have to pack a turbo on there, not to mention the intercooler, etc.

Your size comparison was the blocks, but its not a fair comparison because there's no accessories on the V8, all accessories on the 4 cylinder.

Galler posted:

Doing more with more is also an option.

Yes. It is. But its just kinda....old to me. Everyone is doing LS swaps. Everyone has a V8. Everyone talks about their 500 horsepower V8.

Its not really all that impressive to me. Again, personal opinion.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I see both sides. I like a little let's-see-what-we-can-get-out-of-it engine, I like a big throbby engine. Depends whether it suits the vehicle and usage criteria, really.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

Your size comparison was the blocks, but its not a fair comparison because there's no accessories on the V8, all accessories on the 4 cylinder.

Yes. It is. But its just kinda....old to me. Everyone is doing LS swaps. Everyone has a V8. Everyone talks about their 500 horsepower V8.

Its not really all that impressive to me. Again, personal opinion.

I can see how the hundreds of hours of work and custom fabrication to cram a V8 into a small car would not be impressive. Putting a bigger turbo on a 4 cyl, though...hoo now that's impressive.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Don't push buttons on the electronic games at resteraunt tables. They charge you for that poo poo. Fuckers. I showed them tho I ripped the entire receipt roll outta that bitch.
You sure showed them! poo poo! Fuckers won't know what hit em!

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 12, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You truly are a ray of sunshine arent you...

A friend of me asked me over to test a bottle or two of his homebrewed IPA, ha had tapped 28 bottles.

now he has none. i walked home because taxis are for other people. i also peed at a stop sign

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The factory shorty headers on the LS are under the heads. What other accessories are missing, the alternator?

quote:

It never struck me as impressive -- it's just cheap power compared to getting rare parts to build up a poorly-supported motor or swapping in something exotic like a V12.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

It never struck me as impressive -- it's just cheap power compared to getting rare parts to build up a poorly-supported motor or swapping in something exotic like a V12.
There is something to be said for sheer bloodymindedness when people manage to get a load of power out of a rather unsuitable engine. 200bhp from an NA Ford pre-crossflow Kent. Mini A-series with a 16v, 8-port head and forced induction. Even though I don't like diesels a great deal, some of the VAG 1.9 builds are just silly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

InitialDave posted:

There is something to be said for sheer bloodymindedness when people manage to get a load of power out of a rather unsuitable engine. 200bhp from an NA Ford pre-crossflow Kent. Mini A-series with a 16v, 8-port head and forced induction. Even though I don't like diesels a great deal, some of the VAG 1.9 builds are just silly.

Pretty much this. I'm much more impressed by little 4, 5, and 6 cylinders squeezing out performance over power.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

That LS clearly has all 3 manifolds attached and the accessories don't add much at all to the footprint of either engine. There's also this:

The UZ ranges from 4.0 to 4.7 liters, the LS from 4.8 to 7.4. But we can play this game all day and not find a point in it. I own both an LS and a UZ and have had 3 Mazda 4 cylinders and I like all of these engines.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 12, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

That LS clearly has all 3 manifolds attached and the accessories don't add much at all to the footprint of either engine. There's also this:

The UZ ranges from 4.0 to 4.7 liters, the LS from 4.8 to 7.4. But we can play this game all day and not find a point in it. I own both an LS and a UZ and have had 3 Mazda 4 cylinders and I like all of these engines.

I did paraphrase it with: "Just my opinion". And yes, I'm aware its a 'Small Block V8'

Maybe I got sick of it because every damned car meet is "Check out my LS, Here's my LS. Look at my LS".

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
[quote="CommieGIR" post=""450094263"]
Maybe I got sick of it because every damned car meet is "Check out my LS, Here's my LS. Look at my LS".
[/quote]

People who do this don't like cars, they like status symbols. Ignore them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

in a day and age where thousands of american servicemen and hundreds of thousands of iraqis and afghanis have died in unjust wars fought for oil

where the government can listen in on anything and everything you do on the internet and your smartphone with nothing stopping them but their own goodwill (lol)

where governmental coddling of the rich led to the worst financial meltdown since the loving great depression

where people are shot dead in the streets by policemen who get medals and promotions for their deeds without so much as getting charges filed if the person happened to be innocent

why the gently caress do people persist in posting bullshit 9/11 and moon landing conspiracies as THE BIG SECRET THEY'RE HIDING FROM YOU?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elect Trump and it will all stop

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

why the gently caress do people persist in posting bullshit 9/11 and moon landing conspiracies as THE BIG SECRET THEY'RE HIDING FROM YOU?

:bahgawd: :tinfoil: "Jet Fuel can't melt steel beams"

Its as if these loving idiots can't understand why hot steel might be slightly weaker....

But either way, the saddest part of 9/11 for me is how it was used as a launchpad for a baseless war...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

:bahgawd: :tinfoil: "Jet Fuel can't melt steel beams"

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Documentary Now might be the most ridiculous show in a long time.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Enourmo posted:

Government stuff

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3lgI9QIV8

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Same reason people are so concerned about what other people doing with their dongles while hunger and homelessness are a real problem in their first world country. You can certainly be worried about both, but I think one would have a slightly higher priority.

Hate these people! Fear that thing! If you aren't both furious and terrified every waking moment of your life you're not doing it right!

e: This:

leica posted:

Elect Trump and it will all stop

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

I did paraphrase it with: "Just my opinion". And yes, I'm aware its a 'Small Block V8'

That's why I'll be sure to point out that mine's an LQ once I get it in the Nova. After I build it... and buy it...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i can't find it right now but there's a comedian who did a similar bit fairly recently

"There's no way they could have landed on the moon in 1969!"
"Pffft... you believe in the moon?"

nah just the parts i don't like

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Same reason people are so concerned about what other people doing with their dongles while hunger and homelessness are a real problem in their first world country. You can certainly be worried about both, but I think one would have a slightly higher priority.

Hate these people! Fear that thing! If you aren't both furious and terrified every waking moment of your life you're not doing it right!

i know the answer i'm just pissed off about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Enourmo posted:

i know the answer i'm just pissed off about it

You and me both...trolling ultraconservatives and conspiracy theorists helps, though.

• Locked thread