Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Rules posted:

ROM hacks and fan translations don't really count for the three-month rule. Additionally, you can LP indie games and projects before the three-month rule passes if you ask the game's author/staff and they give you approval.

It's pretty clear about it. For example, I believe there's a Hate Plus LP going on right now with permission from Christine Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

judge reinhold posted:

Is the inference that e-mailing the creator obviates the three month rule? Because it was my understanding the rule is there to avoid a rush of people posting games as soon as they're out. Just curious because I'm waiting on a three month expiry on a game.

I think the general idea is that the 3 month rule avoids a surge of LPs when a new game comes out and also prevents spoilers and poo poo - but in the case if indie games, if you email the creator and ask for permission to make an LP, the mods will be cool with it.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Sundowner posted:

I think the general idea is that the 3 month rule avoids a surge of LPs when a new game comes out and also prevents spoilers and poo poo - but in the case if indie games, if you email the creator and ask for permission to make an LP, the mods will be cool with it.

Didn't know that, thanks.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The relevant section:

slowbeef posted:

3. Don't LP newer games. Six Three months after the game's initial release, it is fine to LP them.

3a. This absolutely counts for independent games as well.

3b. If a game is re-released but not significantly changed, you only have to wait three months since the first release. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition doesn't "reset" Resident Evil 4's release date. REmake, though, I consider a different release than the original Resident Evil if that helps.

3c. Expansion packs that include significantly new content do count. So a mod that adds two new weapons to the game, and is really more like a patch, wouldn't. This is sort of a fringe case which doesn't come up very often, so you can ask me first.

3d. ROM hacks and fan translations don't really count for the three-month rule.

3e. For any other edge-case scenarios, I'll try to clarify them, but I think this rule is serviceable as is for the most part.

3f. Escape clause! - For indie games and projects, you can ask the author/someone on staff about it, and if they approve, you can LP the game whenever.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Thanks everyone for the input on the mic setup. Camtasia was the problem. Recording through Audacity enabled me to test out a lot of stuff, remove some noise and hissing, and let me test out various methods of low pass filtering. There was also some padding going on that I've fixed.

And, the very best part of all...

I can now do LIVE commentary through FRAPS while recording with Audacity. There isn't a slowdown at all and things are working as planned.

There's nothing like live commentary in my opinion. It makes things a lot more enjoyable and fun.

I should be creating a thread for my Symphony of the Night Let's Play within a day or two. I also did some research into the game and I plan on incorporating a few things that as far as I can tell have never been done for a LP of the game. One thing I couldn't get permission for but I'll find an alternative. It's a surprise.

I won't use the Crissaegrim for the entire game, or the Muramasa, but I may show both off - even the Muramasa at max if I can find the time to do it. I also plan on doing a couple of the bosses the 'easy' way and the normal way, and maybe a hard way.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

idonotlikepeas posted:

The relevant section:

Even though the Papers, Please website expresses consent, I'd of rather had official written permission from the developer beforehand. My IP sucks, i'm capped at 10 kb/s upload speeds so uploading the raw file is taking a long time and it's already 0030 here in England with another hour and a half to go before it finishes. I'll repost to the this thread when it's done then head to bed. When I wake up and receive feedback then I'll either re-record or go ahead with a brand new thread. I was hoping to have the video re-uploaded but seriously, my IP sucks with upload speeds and I really should of checked the video before my original post in here. The software I usually use for video conversions is pretty faithful so I was pretty shocked to see such a shoddy job of it even though it looked just fine in VLC. I really want to showcase this game as it's pretty drat awesome!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Papers, Please seems to be a game that really only needs one video (to establish the monotony) and then screenshots from there, honestly. (A hybrid LP could also work, but a video-only LP would be more monotonous than the game itself is.)

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Aerdan posted:

Papers, Please seems to be a game that really only needs one video (to establish the monotony) and then screenshots from there, honestly. (A hybrid LP could also work, but a video-only LP would be more monotonous than the game itself is.)

Yeah, I agree. And, hell, monotony could be easily established by screen shots. Maybe a gif to show the terrorist attacks but I don't video is needed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Test post: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15351

As before, suggestions are welcome. I do speak fast sometimes which I know I need to work on, I tried to slow down my speech for this but I can work on it more. The SFX needs turning down a notch or three as in this video it over-shadows my speech at some points.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
I want to make a relaxed Fez LP, and I'd like to go with a VLP because the music/visuals are a massive part of the game's experience. I leveled out some of the audio, as in some portions the game gets waaaaay loud out of nowhere.

I am considering putting along some side content mostly related to music recordings that I'd be doing with the games music, but I'm not sure if that is ok with the forum's rules as it seems a bit borderline to me (hence asking here first).

Test Post:

Chill out for now, we're going to need that brain later in FEZ (VLP)

Fez is an interesting puzzle platformer (emphasis on puzzle) developed by Polytron and released for Xbox Live Arcade in April 2012. It's gotten pretty swell reviews all across the board, and I hope it's minimal style and clever puzzles will charm your pants off (as it did my own).

There has been some major negativity floating around in gaming journalism about the team developing, Microsoft, and all sorts of other people, but let's ignore all that. I think you're really going to enjoy FEZ.

:siren:Just some solid plans to not kill the chill:siren:
1)Let's not talk about the developer, developers, legal issues, XBL patch fiascoes, indie game movie business, the sequels cancellation, or any of that malarkey. (We're here for the game, not the drama)
2)Avoid talking about puzzles that haven't come up yet in the LP, some of the later ones are beyond baffling and I think they'll be a lot more fun together.
3)As long as you don't reference specific things in the game, I encourage discussing cryptography, and other such puzzle solving methods in the thread. I'm way into puzzles and I think this game is a great liaison into puzzles.

In part 1 of Fez, we meet Gomez, get introduced to some game mechanics, and fall off of stuff once or twice. But nothing too crazy yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f25mLWM670

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Test post: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15351

As before, suggestions are welcome. I do speak fast sometimes which I know I need to work on, I tried to slow down my speech for this but I can work on it more. The SFX needs turning down a notch or three as in this video it over-shadows my speech at some points.
Hmmmm, this would definitely probably be better as a hybrid but outside of that opinion, you need to maybe back up from your mic cause you are puffing into it. Also don't read the text onscreen, especially all of the text. It's usually fine to summarize though or condense. Also why are some of your screenshots thumbnailed while the others are native resolution to the game? And why stick with screenshots that are so small and hard to read? Eh, that's just a few things to hopped out immediately to me but this really doesn't seem like a game made for video and that might be something to reconsider.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

TieTuesday posted:

Chill out for now, we're going to need that brain later in FEZ (VLP)

I like your cadence. I think a tiny bit of audio ducking would serve you well (especially with Fez), as well as lingering a little more on the dialogue boxes when they pop up. Apart from that, I see no reason not to make a thread.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Completely disagree with this idea that “Papers, Please” should be a screenshot LP or hybrid. It would egregiously misrepresent the game, which has at its core a well-designed tension between making enough money to pay rent & feed you family, doing a “good” job, and making moral or empathetic decisions. I don't see the point of just posting a few screenshots of it at all, where almost none of this is conveyed. Might as well not post anything at all.

Aside from the question of misrepresentation, I've seen videos of “Papers, Please” before and found them compelling. There's plenty of entertainment in trying to catch any flaws in the papers before the person playing, for example.

I didn't watch this particular video though, so I'm neither defending nor denouncing it, specifically.

Vox Nihil
Mar 24, 2008
No Monty Python jokes allowed. Let's Play Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail!

What the hell is this?
Conquests of Camelot is an adventure game released in 1989 by Sierra On-Line, featuring state-of-the-art EGA graphics and text parser technology. As King Arthur, we'll undertake a desperate quest for the Holy Grail, the only hope for his dying kingdom. This is a tale of magic, love, betrayal, and instadeaths. Lots of instadeaths.

It is the first game in the Conquests series. The other one is Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood. You can probably guess what that one's about.

I'll do my best to show off all the easter eggs and horrible grisly deaths, but I'm not doing a 100% point run because gently caress that. If I miss something cool, feel free to let me know.

Spoiler policy: If you absolutely have to post spoilers, use spoiler tags. This is a semi-obscure, 24-year-old adventure game, so I'm assuming that most of the subforum hasn't played it. You're more than welcome to discuss any of the myths and legends the game's based on, though.

Table of Contents:

Part 1: Introduction

Also, I have a question. This game has a lot of copy-protection puzzles that require you to look things up in the manual. When I get to one of those, am I allowed to show the answers or do I need to say "And then King Arthur solved a copy protection puzzle"?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihil posted:

No Monty Python jokes allowed. Let's Play Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail!

What the hell is this?
Conquests of Camelot is an adventure game released in 1989 by Sierra On-Line, featuring state-of-the-art EGA graphics and text parser technology. As King Arthur, we'll undertake a desperate quest for the Holy Grail, the only hope for his dying kingdom. This is a tale of magic, love, betrayal, and instadeaths. Lots of instadeaths.

It is the first game in the Conquests series. The other one is Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood. You can probably guess what that one's about.

I'll do my best to show off all the easter eggs and horrible grisly deaths, but I'm not doing a 100% point run because gently caress that. If I miss something cool, feel free to let me know.

Spoiler policy: If you absolutely have to post spoilers, use spoiler tags. This is a semi-obscure, 24-year-old adventure game, so I'm assuming that most of the subforum hasn't played it. You're more than welcome to discuss any of the myths and legends the game's based on, though.

Table of Contents:

Part 1: Introduction

Also, I have a question. This game has a lot of copy-protection puzzles that require you to look things up in the manual. When I get to one of those, am I allowed to show the answers or do I need to say "And then King Arthur solved a copy protection puzzle"?

I would say you can go ahead with the copyprotection showing, its not a key and its too old to really matter.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Vox Nihil posted:

This game has a lot of copy-protection puzzles that require you to look things up in the manual. When I get to one of those, am I allowed to show the answers or do I need to say "And then King Arthur solved a copy protection puzzle"?

Show the answers, it's fine.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Don't forget the easter egg in the treasury, or will that be later? Man I love that game!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Hello! I am looking for some input here.

I am going to do a screenshot LP of a point-and-click adventure game, The Lost Crown.

I'm looking for some input about the screenshots though. I'll be using them for all the establishing shots and so on, and posting transcribed text for the dialogue.

The thing is, the game has built in letterboxing, to help hide the inventory/menu areas (which only appear when moused over), and also to make it look more spooky and cinematic. Should I include the letterboxes in screenshots, or not?

How screens look normally:

Letterboxes removed:

With inventory visible:

I'm undecided. I kind of like the letterboxes but I also kind of feel like they might waste space if there's a bunch of them presented. It's pretty rare when I'd need to show the inventory and I can just not crop it out in that case. I'd like to make a decision before I have to process too many images.

Also I can post my first post and update here for feedback before I make the thread, right?

Vox Nihil
Mar 24, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Show the answers, it's fine.

Okay, thanks.

Roctavian posted:

Don't forget the easter egg in the treasury, or will that be later? Man I love that game!

I didn't forget it. I may show that later, since I'm doing separate updates for the deaths and such. Or I might stick it in the main update.

Other than that, does my test post look okay?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

skoolmunkee posted:

I'm undecided. I kind of like the letterboxes but I also kind of feel like they might waste space if there's a bunch of them presented. It's pretty rare when I'd need to show the inventory and I can just not crop it out in that case. I'd like to make a decision before I have to process too many images.

My personal preference is without, unless you're specifically showing inventory - in which case I'd only show the bottom one on those shots (assuming the top is always just black).

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

unfair posted:

My personal preference is without, unless you're specifically showing inventory - in which case I'd only show the bottom one on those shots (assuming the top is always just black).

Seconding this. Black borders just waste space. The same goes when recording a 6th generation console for a screenshot LP.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

gatz posted:

The same goes when recording a 6th generation console for a screenshot LP.

I don't know what that means, are you making a suggestion to me? This game is on PC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

skoolmunkee posted:

I don't know what that means, are you making a suggestion to me? This game is on PC.

No, he's saying in general, if you're recording PS2/GC/Xbox, then crop black borders to save space.

Anyway, please remove the border unless you're using the inventory, you'd be saving a little disk space and screen space.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

No, he's saying in general, if you're recording PS2/GC/Xbox, then crop black borders to save space.

Anyway, please remove the border unless you're using the inventory, you'd be saving a little disk space and screen space.

Yes I definitely will, I was leaning that way but it's good to get input. I've just set up some photoshop actions and stuff, so no problem.

No one answered yet, but I should post my first update here to get some feedback before I make a thread, right? It's my first LP (I've only co-commentated on video LPs before) so I'd like to have stuff pointed out to me if I should fix it, like my presentation is bad or something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

skoolmunkee posted:

Yes I definitely will, I was leaning that way but it's good to get input. I've just set up some photoshop actions and stuff, so no problem.

No one answered yet, but I should post my first update here to get some feedback before I make a thread, right? It's my first LP (I've only co-commentated on video LPs before) so I'd like to have stuff pointed out to me if I should fix it, like my presentation is bad or something.

It's not a requirement, but it can't hurt.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Hey so I want to share the fantastic Mario Party 2 music in our thread but I'm not sure how best to do that and despite the in-depth video and image hosting guides all over the forums, I couldn't find anything about audio hosting. I've seen stuff on tindeck before in LPs but wanted to ask if that's our best option?

For presentation:

<<< KICKING RAD WESTERN LAND MUSIC

OR

WESTERN LAND MUSIC

I've never seen a Sandcastle post made about a running thread before so I hope I'm not doing something awfully wrong here. I didn't want to whine to the thread about this stuff.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I think usually if people link to music then they just use tindeck as it leaves behind a small, easily recognizable link (and it's a relatively free service). I assume most people try to stay away from overkill with banners though and that's why they might not make banner images for music links alone and instead just go for text links or tindeck links.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This is just my perspective on this, but if you have an image and hyperlink text it may just be more compact to just make the image the link as in the first example. I've been doing that with video links with some decent success.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

This is just my perspective on this, but if you have an image and hyperlink text it may just be more compact to just make the image the link as in the first example. I've been doing that with video links with some decent success.

Hey. Yeah actually we are using the image in the thread anyway and it's a convenient spot to have the music so that was my thinking.

Happy to hear that Tindeck isn't hated or anything. Cool. I'll update the thread so it's like the first example, I'll keep my eye on here if anyone has something better to suggest though. Thanks.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Lazyfire posted:

But if the image fails to load for whatever reason then you've got nothing. It's good practice to post a text link underneath if you have an image link.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GuavaMoment posted:

But if the image fails to load for whatever reason then you've got nothing. It's good practice to post a text link underneath if you have an image link.

I have an all text link table of contents in the OP, which is a nice redundancy in case of something like that. Honestly, I didn't even think of that till now because I've always done text links before and wanted to experiment with image links. Guess I didn't think it all out.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

I have an all text link table of contents in the OP, which is a nice redundancy in case of something like that. Honestly, I didn't even think of that till now because I've always done text links before and wanted to experiment with image links. Guess I didn't think it all out.

The issue was quite a bit more common when people were using waffle images. Randomly some images would just not show up 2-3 day prior to the end of the month.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey there, first time LPer, long-time LP enjoyer. I've decided to take my love of wrestling into Let's Play form. However, I know that not many people watch wrestling, let alone Impact Wrestling. Please tell me what I need to change in order for me to make a successful SSLP.

Extreme Warfare Revenge is a text simulation game about the wonderful world of professional wrestling. Originally released in 2002, EWR is the most popular edition of the Extreme Warfare series, because of its vast improvement over previous games in the Extreme Warfare series. Also, it's free. The premise of the game is to run a wrestling promotion in any way you want, whether you want to take a backyard fed to Madison Square Garden or do the exact opposite. Our mission: to make Total Nonstop Action Wrestling the number one wrestling promotion in the world.

To the non-wrestling fan, this might not be seen as a daunting task. To a wrestling, fan, this might as well be the Stone of Sisyphus, if Sisyphus had no arms and got fired from stone-pushing because he had no arms because he lost his arms pushing the stone. In simpler terms, people hate TNA Wrestling. With every fiber in their being. Just go to PunchSport Pagoda for 10 minutes, and you'll see what I mean. They hate the wrestlers, they hate the announcers, they hate the writers, they hate the owner, they hate everything about it. They want TNA to die as soon as possible, and for the ashes to be burned.

We're going to fix that.

This is the menu for the promotion. Because this is the initial posting, I'm going to ignore most of these options (there's a lot!) and instead, we will focus on Feuds. To get you accustomed to who can feud, here's this game's roster and notes on the person.

Male faces (aka good guys)

Kurt Angle - Olympic gold medalist
Sonjay Dutt - guru
Chavo Guerrero, Jr. - member of the Guerrero wrestling family
Gunner - INTENSITY
Jeff Hardy - daredevil in face paint (not a Juggalo)
Hernandez - proud Latino
Quentin "Rampage" Jackson - MMA guy
Magnus - British
Manik - masked wrestler
Joseph Park, Esq. - non wrestling lawyer who, when bleeds, turns into monster Abyss
Chris Sabin - high-flyer
Samoa Joe - Samoan Submission Machine
Sam Shaw - no real gimmick
Sting - living legend
James Storm - redneck cowboy
AJ Styles - a loner who is in it for himself
Rob Terry - big guy from Wales
Eric Young - funnyman

Male tweeners (neither face nor heel)

Homicide - gangster
Muhammad "King Mo" Lawal - MMA guy

Male heels (aka villains)

Mr. Anderson - Vice President of the Aces & Eights. Says his name in a loud voice.
Austin Aries - the greatest man who ever lived
Garett Bischoff - member of the Aces & Eights
Jay Bradley - low-card guy
Bully Ray - President of the Aces & Eights
Christopher Daniels - E.G.O. member
Devon - Sgt. at Arms of the Aces & Eights
Robbie E - Jersey Shore guy
Jessie Godderz - celebrity
Zema Ion - hairspray addict
Kazarian - E.G.O. member
Kenny King - party guy
Knux - member of the Aces & Eights
Bobby Roode - E.G.O. member
Petey Williams - Canadian with the best wrestling move ever

Tag teams
James Storm & Gunner
Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels & Kazarian)
The Bro-Mans (Robbie E & Jessie Godderz)
Chavo Guerrero, Jr. & Hernandez
Team 3-D (Bully Ray & Devon)

Female faces

ODB - drinker
Velvet Sky - notable rear end
Taryn Terrell - plucky underdog
Brooke Tessmacher - Texan

Female heels

Mickie James - crazy
Gail Kim - arrogant
Lei'D Tapa - Tongan

Stables of wrestlers
Aces & Eights - a group of bikers
Extraordinary Gentleman's Organization - cocky (Bobby Roode, Christopher Daniels, & Kazarian)
Main Event Mafia - mafia (Sting, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Magnus, Quentin "Rampage" Jackson)

Current Champions:
TNA World Heavyweight Champion: Bully Ray
TNA World Tag Team Champions: James Storm & Gunner
TNA X-Division Champion: Manik
TNA Women's Knockout Champion: Mickie James
TNA Television Champion: Joseph Park

We only have one feud at the moment, AJ Styles vs. Bully Ray. We need to fix that. I put it to you, the reader, to give TNA the stories it needs to succeed!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It's hard to judge what might needs fixing without giving anything to go on. So far we've got a title screen, two pictures of the interface, and then a list of names. Maybe write up the first update (and use the testposter) to give us something to chew on first?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

skoolmunkee posted:

By all means do so; the game looks interesting, but a bad presentation (not saying yours is or will be, mind you) can ruin it.

biosterous posted:

It's hard to judge what might needs fixing without giving anything to go on. So far we've got a title screen, two pictures of the interface, and then a list of names. Maybe write up the first update (and use the testposter) to give us something to chew on first?

Agreed; just start up a new game and play through a bit (maybe until the first fight) so we can see how you'd write this thing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The thing is, this would have to be an interactive LP. As a text simulator, it requires creative input to make the game work. I start with Feuds, then the wrestling program is built based on these feuds.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Use a random number generator to get your hypothetical first update started. As a plus side, it also gives you something to show the people that stumble into your thread before the first update giving them a chance to find out what this thing is and actually vote.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CaptainYesterday posted:

The thing is, this would have to be an interactive LP. As a text simulator, it requires creative input to make the game work. I start with Feuds, then the wrestling program is built based on these feuds.

Standard procedure for test posting an audience-driven LP is to run the first round based on your own input so we at least know what can happen. You don't need to keep the results for the thread, but we need to know what's going on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flesh is not strong. Let's play [Fallout Tactics]!

What is this and why should I care?

Fallout is one of the most beloved western RPG franchises. Starting in 1997, they provided a massive open world, a variety of solutions to almost every problem. You customized a character, stumbled into the wasteland on a mission, and were, beyond a general goal, left to your own devices. From the original to New Vegas, they've been critically and commercially acclaimed for these traits. (Admitted, they're also condemned for plentiful bugs. Nothing's perfect.)

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel is not like that. (Well, except the bugs). It's a linear tactical RPG. There's no dialog trees, very limited moral choices, and very few problems have a solution other than homicide.

Still, as a strategy RPG, it's not bad. It has some fun missions, interesting combat mechanics, and the late game gives you access to some obscene firepower.

So, why are we here? And where is here?

Here is outside of Chicago decades after a nuclear war wiped out most life on the planet, and mutated the rest. The Brotherhood of Steel is what's left of the military. Few years back, they had a schism over lending their tech to outsiders. Most stayed back. A few went east to kill supermutants and reclaim the wastelands.

You're a worthless tribal hick they drafted, handed an SMG, and forced into their army. If the raiders and the roaches don't kill you, you might last long enough to be eaten by a deathclaw.

The Brotherhood sounds like a bunch of assholes.

Correct.

So, where do we come in?

For this Let's Play, I'm going with reader participation on this one. Player character, party selection, mission selection on the rare occasion there's more than one pick, the standard setup.

That seems like a mistake.

Winston Churchill said it best.

"Goon democracy is the worst form of government except... wait. No. It's just the worst.”

Wait. If everything is up for voting, how's there a demo post?

Like so.

(Planning on having more in the way of gameplay explanations in the actual LP, but it seemed like in a later mission sample it'd either feel off explaining a mission without explaining the mechanics, or slow things down too much to explain three or four updates worth of mechanics in one test post.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Is there anybody there? Let's Play The Lost Crown [SSLP]

Edit: Thanks for the link to the test post page on LParchive. I didn't know about it. I've moved the post here:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15385

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 12, 2013

• Locked thread