Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got nothing either. Maybe there was an acknowledgement in one of the multi-thousand word emails that HQ started sending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'm celebrating by looking at the first OPM retirement check deposited into my account April 30. :patriot:

:stoked:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
No recognition of it here, actually this is the first year I have even heard of it that I recall.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'm celebrating by looking at the first OPM retirement check deposited into my account April 30. :patriot:

Congratulations!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I guess I should be fair and while complaining about Baltimore's ham-handed gesture of goodwill, I will say that our supervisors and DM went all out with lunch and games and decorations this week. We have the most fantastic front-line supervisors of any job I've ever had in my entire life, and a DM that both knows her poo poo and cares about us. If it weren't for them, I'd have been out the door already.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Got the eight hours and an email, and it inspired me to not take my birthday off and have my most productive day here yet! I think I was the online one online in my entire office at the end of the day. I'm happy for my coworkers, and just honestly happy to be working a job which helps people and that I genuinely love.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I like my job a lot but feeling a bit jealous of you all who got 8 hours. We only got 2 hours admin leave and some doughnuts and coffee on Wednesday.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
We got zero hours but at least 3 attaboys over the week which are invaluable (literally)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Olanphonia posted:

I like my job a lot but feeling a bit jealous of you all who got 8 hours. We only got 2 hours admin leave and some doughnuts and coffee on Wednesday.

I didn't even get doughnuts or coffee.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Better luck next year. Maybe if you step up your collective performance...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not even two hours into the first day of paper return training and this is already a shitshow.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Olanphonia posted:

Best as I can tell, since I was traveling last week, is that we only got a congratulatory email.

I can't actually tell if they are planning on reducing telework. They've talked about it, there are multiple bills about it in Congress, and the agency is trying to give back half of our floors to the GSA. On top of a massive hiring boom and people on my floor are already sharing desk space. If I can't have my plants and postcard wall, I may as well go full remote.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
:unsmith: We get a BBQ for employee appreciation day (with a cornhole tournament and a really bad trophy made of beer cans and sharp tools to the winning division)

:smith: I can't go because they need someone to staff the office

:unsmith: my absolutely toxic bosses boss just turned in his retirement papers. seriously the biggest rear end I've ever met, fedside or not.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 15, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We got a video from the secretary and a discount on Nationals tickets

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

There were donuts. Yay.

drat, the first public employee recognition week we had at the call center we had an 'opportunity' to go to the big kids federal building for a speech. But only one person on each team could go! So I asked the woman who was chosen to bring me back some cookies from the event. She did, and the cookies were so terrible my first thought was they were leftovers from the federal prison or something.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The gov seems to have a real knack for designing the worst recognitions possible. Of course it's a byproduct of being given zero budget or authority to do anything fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

The gov seems to have a real knack for designing the worst recognitions possible. Of course it's a byproduct of being given zero budget or authority to do anything fun.

You want to WASTE taxpayer money on things like FUN or COFFEE or DRINKING WATER? What is wrong with you?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The GSA office in my building has free coffee and vending machines that only they can use, meanwhile we don't have a fridge and the cafe in our building has given multiple coworkers food poisoning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GSA also had that huge rear end offsite in Las Vegas several years ago that brought the heat down on events.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We don't even have a cafeteria anymore. The contractors declined to renew, so we have pop ups in the cafeteria Tuesday through Thursday lunch and no breakfast.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Just remember what happened with those IRS videos.

Never forget what they took from us.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 16, 2024

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

LyonsLions posted:

The GSA office in my building has free coffee and vending machines that only they can use, meanwhile we don't have a fridge and the cafe in our building has given multiple coworkers food poisoning.

They took away the vending machines from most of the floors during the pandemic. There was talk of creating a reading nook or something in their place, but it's been most of a year and nothing has happened.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

All of these problems are easily solved by avoiding my office as much as possible.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

All of these problems are easily solved by avoiding my office as much as possible.

New thread title?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

lol I remember when I was told I was getting a Gem award.

OK, so I guess I figured it was some level of award and that was the level I was getting.

No, no no. I was getting a GEM award.

Going (the)

Extra

Mile

Some poo poo made up in MS Paint and printed on normal rear end copier paper.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

idk, our office organized a waffles party and someone brought their switch and we all played mario kart. Pretty drat good, considering where the bar lies for these kind of things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

idk, our office organized a waffles party
wtf

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

what can I say, we hit our quarterly numbers

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
8 more hours from Secretary Mayorkas for Memorial Day

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Not sure how different agencies will operationalize it but Safe Leave was approved by OPM for Fed employees dealing with domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and harassment. The military already has that of 30 days non-chargeable leave for victims of sexual assault

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It slays me, just absolutely slays me, that I sit next to someone who's been answering phones for the IRS long enough to be rotting in GS-08 to reach step ten, and bullies me about how standards used to be higher here and they used to fire people all the time in their first year before the pandemic, yet constantly asks me the most basic rear end questions of this job all the time. Like poo poo that anyone working a CER detail (such as said neighbor) should know like amended tax return timeframes and how to read a goddamn alert in SERP.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

We've got a guy who's been chilling at GS 5, step 10 as an admin assistant for many, many years, but he's deeply knowledgeable and chill. He just doesn't want to deal with the stress of any higher graded positions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, one of our TEs is a grade 7 step 10 career TE who is happy in the position and not interested in advancement, and she's great. Some people just park where they are.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I’m just about at the top of my grade/step ladder and I have 15 years ahead of me. I don’t particularly want to do anything that the grades above me do but it’s depressing thinking of doing just this for the rest of my time

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

I’m just about at the top of my grade/step ladder and I have 15 years ahead of me. I don’t particularly want to do anything that the grades above me do but it’s depressing thinking of doing just this for the rest of my time

Can't you move to a different job at the same grade if you get bored? Laterals are common everywhere I've worked for exactly this reason.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Does your agency do temp jobs to other agencies? We have peeps doing that all the time, often for 6mo to a year.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The person I'm venting about regularly says they're trying to find another job.

I know there are people who don't mind being where they are and staying put.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I’m way too restless to want to stay in the same job forever. Especially as a federal employee where you get to take your accumulated benefits with you to the next gig. I’ve had six different full time jobs as an engineer now, four of those with the feds, and I stayed at all of them for about three years before bouncing, except for Tobyhanna Army Depot where I peaced out after 7 months, and my previous job I left at CECOM a few months ago, where I stayed over 7 years.

I only stayed there so long because they gave me tons of freedom to make it more interesting, really took care of me, and the team was awesome and full of my kind of nerd. But at some point I just have to be doing some new stuff and meeting some new people. The last one was starting to drive me bonkers just because eventually I had just become The Guy who did certain things, and I had known certain people for a little too long, which imo just gets awkward when it comes to co-workers and professional partners.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I just apply over and iver to remote positions that pop up in my field, but I'm not hopeful it will ever work out. That, and any position in Europe...

I like my job and have been doing it for a few years now, with almost a decade at my agency. But it is hard to envision doing the same thing for another couple decades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Justus posted:

except for Tobyhanna Army Depot where I peaced out after 7 months,
gently caress that place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm beyond done with SSA but I don't want to take less money or have to move.

I imagine that conundrum has many of us planted.