Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I read every book in FOTJ. I remember almost none of it. What a silly goddamned series. Who did that sketchy tentacle bitch end up being anyway? I forget. I don't even remember her name so I can look it up.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Only parts of FotJ worth reading were the ones where Wedge kicks the poo poo out of all those young whippersnappers. That happened, didn't it? I don't want to go back and find out, because I'm afraid I'll read another Jacen POV and get brain cancer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Conquistador posted:

I read every book in FOTJ. I remember almost none of it. What a silly goddamned series. Who did that sketchy tentacle bitch end up being anyway? I forget. I don't even remember her name so I can look it up.

Ugh.

It ended up being a Clone Wars TV show crossover, no kidding.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wait are you serious? I've never seen the TV show so I wouldn't have gotten the reference anyway.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Same here...only figured it out after i finished it and went on Wookieepedia trying to figure what the hell I just read

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, in the Clone Wars show there was a storyline where Anakin and Obi-Wan go to the planet where the Force is controlled by a family of shape-shifters who each rule the light and dark side. It was as stupid as it sounds, no surprise given that the idea came from Lucas and he was very involved in developing those episodes. So the last FOTJ novel has the Killiks (of course) tell Our Heroes that Abeloth is one of those Force-ruling shape-shifters.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, in the Clone Wars show there was a storyline where Anakin and Obi-Wan go to the planet where the Force is controlled by a family of shape-shifters who each rule the light and dark side. It was as stupid as it sounds, no surprise given that the idea came from Lucas and he was very involved in developing those episodes. So the last FOTJ novel has the Killiks (of course) tell Our Heroes that Abeloth is one of those Force-ruling shape-shifters.

Wow. I only ever saw the show, never read the book series, so that Wookieepedia entry just made me :psyduck:

Both Lucas and Filoni refused to comment on the deeper meaning of those episodes, only commenting that "we haven't seen the last of the Mortis themes yet". I guess they may have intended to explore some of it in more detail later on (whether that would have been a good thing or not is very much up for debate), but those plans seem to have been abandoned, and I suppose Mortis was up for grabs, and Troy Denning ran with it.

While having the Force - not "controlled", as you say, but if I recall the episodes right, literally embodied by anthropomorphic characters was a supremely sketchy notion to begin with, what Denning seems to have done with it is taking it to a higher plane of idiocy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Mortis episodes were the biggest crock of poo poo in a show that was already a lot worse than its fans wanted to admit. It's a way stupider concept to me than midi-chlorians. Within a single episode there would be conflicting statements within minutes of each other whether the siblings embodied the Force, ruled the Force, were puppets of the Force, supposed to fully embody their essences or fight against them, whether there was supposed to be both or whether the dark side should have been killed off, whether they were even supposed to fight in the first place, it all made no sense and wasn't even consistent within the episodes themselves, ignoring the fact it didn't fit in at all with what anything else (even Lucas's own movie scripts) had to say about the Force.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TCW's biggest crime was being boring as poo poo.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Reading the entry on Wookieepedia, it's nice to see they did something really unique with Abeloths back story. It doesn't remotely resemble Anakin Skywalker's. Or Jacen's.

What a load of sith spit.

E: Also, reading that entry is like reading every single bullshit thing thats happened in Star Wars EU. Centerpoint, Killiks, Fallanassi, fall of Jacen, the Maw, Nightsisters, Sith. I think they even ended up on that planet with the force beetles if I recall. What a farce.

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 25, 2013

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Just taking a short break from all the bitching to wish George all the best on his wedding to Mellody Hobson.

Even though the pictures looks oddly photoshopped (maybe it's the special edition?), it's nice to see the old sourpuss smile for once. I don't think I've seen any publicity pictures of him in the last fifteen years where he looked anything other than borderline suicidal. (Seriously, GIS "george lucas mellody hobson" - there's hardly a one in which he doesn't look like he wants to die.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hope it works for the old guy. I'm a bitter SW nerd, but I don't hate life.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I am going through the movies again, what is with that weird old man battle call that Obi uses to scare off the sand people. I don't remember it at all, it made me hurt my self laughing.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He is imitating a Krayt Dragon. I thought he even said that right in the movie?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It's changed like three it four times over the years. The most recent one sounds like he's pinching a flamboyant dude's rear end.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In the newest version the Krayt Dragon shoots first?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
works for all situations:

http://youtu.be/CAVn4DCB1wQ

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The most recent one sounds like he's pinching a flamboyant dude's rear end.

This is the one I heard.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ok wow, yeah that pinching a flamboyant dudes rear end is such an apt description of it.

:sigh:

I actually have the movie on BR too, but who even pays attention to ANH pre-Cantina :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It's changed like three it four times over the years. The most recent one sounds like he's pinching a flamboyant dude's rear end.

Or anyone stepping on a piece of lego.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't the latest version changed so it sounded like the space monster he rode in Revenge of the Sith? Although you'd think it'd be easier to just film the ROTS monster to sound similar to what already existed...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't the latest version changed so it sounded like the space monster he rode in Revenge of the Sith?

I would have loved that - it would've made for a nice bit of retroactive continuity. Instead, Lego asspinching.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well, our book trailer for William Shakespeare's Star Wars hit today:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2013/06/28/william-shakespeares-star-wars-trailer/

It was.. certainly a process.

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:

BonoMan posted:

Well, our book trailer for William Shakespeare's Star Wars hit today:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2013/06/28/william-shakespeares-star-wars-trailer/

It was.. certainly a process.

Well I know what I'm reading this summer...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So, Crucible is coming out in a week. Maybe we should hold a hate-along?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah what happened to the "let's read"-throughs from a few months ago? I was looking forward to more MANDO dumbshit being mocked.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I've been incorporating Star Wars into my OKCupid dating

here you go so you can laugh at me

I've included those with short messages to the recipients

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Conquistador posted:

I've been incorporating Star Wars into my OKCupid dating

here you go so you can laugh at me

I've included those with short messages to the recipients

Just chiming in to say the guy with the Star Wars avatar and username thinks you're a creep for doing that :thumbsup:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed, but it made me laugh my rear end off

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I will tip my hat to him if he actually got an interested response though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I am running through the Xwing Books, currently in the Middle of Bacta Wars.

Is this where "X is now force sensitive" becomes a thing in books, because Corran ending up force sensitive irks me a bit. I wanted Aces High Star wars drat it, it didn't require Jedi.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

KildarX posted:

Is this where "X is now force sensitive" becomes a thing in books, because Corran ending up force sensitive irks me a bit. I wanted Aces High Star wars drat it, it didn't require Jedi.

It never really comes up all that much in the X-Wing books, but it does setup the whitewashing of Jedi Academy trilogy in I, Jedi, which is a great book.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Nah man. The guy who all the chicks love, who always saves the day and 'dies' in every book only to come back at the end? You know, the one who is a mouthpiece for the author?

Of course he's not prefect and going to become a unique jedi while also having his own private green x-wing and driod. Of course.

~~Wraith 4 lyfe~~

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

KildarX posted:

Just skip straight to Alston's books

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Just skip straight to Alston's books

I disagree, the Gary Stu and internal dialog are kinda :negative: but the story arcs are decent. I mean a story needs a protagonist, even if Michael (my favorite color is green) Stackpole went overboard.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Despite my overly sarcastic response, the Horn quadrilogy and I, Jedi are pretty bad. I've read all of the Bantnam era and most of NJO and I will say, any day Starfighters of Adumar is the best EU novel ever.

Anybody in this thread with sense will agree.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I bet a lot of posters in the Geeky Star Wars Loser Thread have tons of sense

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Carnaticum posted:

Despite my overly sarcastic response, the Horn quadrilogy and I, Jedi are pretty bad. I've read all of the Bantnam era and most of NJO and I will say, any day Starfighters of Adumar is the best EU novel ever.

Anybody in this thread with sense will agree.

That's the one X-wing book I haven't read :negative:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Starfighters of Adumar owns and you should go read it. But Traitor is probably still my favorite EU book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I read the X-Wing books as a kid and loved the references to the game and stuff, I don't think its fair to call them poo poo, they're basically childrens books