Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Answers Me posted:

Forget brown people and gays, the Daily Mail have a new boogeyman, THE SCOTTISH

We're more proud we've remained a single nation but we don't actually like the bit that decided to let us continue to be a complete nation. Also please please give us an English parliament we really need to gently caress up some foxes. It's ridiculous but it's the Mail so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

£8 is a start but we really do need some proper support for living wages that isn't Boris Johnson.

It's not even a start tho is it, it's the end. £8 an hour, by 2020.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spooky Hyena posted:

Doesn't even cover my bus fares. And it assumes Labour will keep these promises after winning the election, and they've had trouble recently keeping promises lasting a few days.

What currently covers your bus fare?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Kin posted:

Yeah, I'll bet we'll not even see a shadow of the scaremongering that was thrown at Scotland during the referendum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2763953/Ed-Miliband-makes-election-pledge-raise-minimum-wage-8-hour-adding-3-000-pay-packets.html

quote:

Ed Miliband was under fire from business leaders to today after kicking off the Labour Party conference with a general election pledge to increase the minimum wage to at least £8 an hour.
The Labour party leader said the current £6.31 level - which is set to rise to £6.50 next month - was leaving ordinary workers out of pocket.
Mr Miliband's proposed increase, which would be introduced gradually between 2015 and 2020 - would add around £3,000 a year to the pay packets of those earning the minimum wage.
But business groups said if the minimum wage was increased any further it would hit jobs.

There you go, took them less than 8 hours to get started.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

serious gaylord posted:

What currently covers your bus fare?

£480 a year, five £96 tickets that last 10 weeks each (Glasgow doesn't have a yearly ticket for First busses). Doesn't include the travel outside of Glasgow I need to do every so often.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

£450 a year extra, per year, doesn't sound too bad to me.

Yeah but don't forget that's £8 in 2020 money - over the last ten years the minimum wage has increased by an average of ~2.3% a year or so, so you'd expect it to be around £7.45 in 2020, at a minimum. If the last rise of 3% became a trend (which I doubt, but that's what ~business leaders~ are claiming in the media - no need to do anything!) it'll be about £7.75.

I mean that's still a significant boost, which is good, but you have to compare to what it will be otherwise. And even then, inflation wipes a lot of that out. It's nothing like getting a raise to £8 right now

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29299873

Political journalism :allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but don't forget that's £8 in 2020 money - over the last ten years the minimum wage has increased by an average of ~2.3% a year or so, so you'd expect it to be around £7.45 in 2020, at a minimum. If the last rise of 3% became a trend (which I doubt, but that's what ~business leaders~ are claiming in the media - no need to do anything!) it'll be about £7.75.

I mean that's still a significant boost, which is good, but you have to compare to what it will be otherwise. And even then, inflation wipes a lot of that out. It's nothing like getting a raise to £8 right now

In terms of how the NMW has risen over the last twenty years, it's actually worse than that; the NMW would be £8.25 in 2020 if it continued rising as it has done.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

loving hell..

It is a shame Gordon Brown isn't going to get a bit more attention in the Labour party. I mean the Tories keep IDS around despite him being a perpetual loving failure. Brown struggled as an end-term PM, but he's very experienced, clearly quite capable, and seems like a nice guy. Is this due to cliques in the party, or just association with New Labour?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

winegums posted:

loving hell..

It is a shame Gordon Brown isn't going to get a bit more attention in the Labour party. I mean the Tories keep IDS around despite him being a perpetual loving failure. Brown struggled as an end-term PM, but he's very experienced, clearly quite capable, and seems like a nice guy. Is this due to cliques in the party, or just association with New Labour?

He spent his time as PM being routinely slaughtered by the right wing press, Miliband won't want that kind of additional heat on him.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

In terms of how the NMW has risen over the last twenty years, it's actually worse than that; the NMW would be £8.25 in 2020 if it continued rising as it has done.

Yeah I calculated it from a few starting years to ballpark an average (ballpark is a good word but it feels weird saying it), the data I was looking at started in 2005 and things were looking a lot more optimistic even then. Still, £8.25 is a pretty big difference

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

keep punching joe posted:

He spent his time as PM being routinely slaughtered by the right wing press, Miliband won't want that kind of additional heat on him.

IDS didnt fare much better during his time as leader.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

"VOTE LABOUR AND STANDARD LIFE WILL LEAVE THE loving PLANET"

keep punching joe posted:

If he came back to the cabinet then they'd also need to deal with stories about his mental health and lovely attitude towards his staff again.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Does "Urge other ethnic groups to back British values" mean it's OK to disagree with them but only if you're white?

edit: though it's nice that even 69% of Heil readers think Andy Murray's tweet was irrelevant and 58% think the party leaders should actually, you know, do what they said they'd do.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 21, 2014

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You would think that the great majority of those businesses who pay far in excess of the minimum (remember the median is £11 an hour) would be all for an increase, more disposable income = more trade = larger gdp.

There was a group of them earlier in the week asking for it to go up.

£10 is a good starting point.

Also get rid of Swedish Derogation at the same time as 0 hours contracts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

At this point I'm just thankful that I'm not going to end up going to jail for being unemployed :v: A below-the-average pay rise sounds quite nice in comparison.

Collateral posted:

Also get rid of Swedish Derogation at the same time as 0 hours contracts.

I'm sure if you do it'll just result in everyone getting fired instead of on a 0 hours contract.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
0 hours contracts have their place, relief workers for example. Could be better regulated though. Apprenticeships stacking shelves and poo poo like that needs to go though.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Jesus gently caress if the same companies that threatened to leave in the case of Scottish independence threaten to leave in the case of a minimum wage but the latter threat ends up being somehow less credible than the former one I will flip my poo poo.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

At this point I'm just thankful that I'm not going to end up going to jail for being unemployed :v: A below-the-average pay rise sounds quite nice in comparison.

I'm sure if you do it'll just result in everyone getting fired instead of on a 0 hours contract.

You think those parcels are going to sort themselves? Honestly I have first-hand experience of both, those are jobs that that need an employee to do. If an employer only has employees on 0 hours contracts, and he fires them all when those contracts are banned then they won't have a business anymore. If their business model is based on ultra casual cheap labour then we are well rid of them. The whole basis of 0 hours and SD is to save money, not to free up money to employ more people.

Just about every agency that employs on 0-hours and SD end up with poor applicants. My current employer pays £7.50 on SD, compared to £9.40 of company employees, and tend to go through 3 people before they get one they are happy with. Fine I am ok with a probationary rate, but some have been on the SD agency rate for 2 years.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Coohoolin posted:

Jesus gently caress if the same companies that threatened to leave in the case of Scottish independence threaten to leave in the case of a minimum wage but the latter threat ends up being somehow less credible than the former one I will flip my poo poo.

I can't wait till the bosses of the supermarkets start showing up claiming that food might become more expensive as further devolved powers might make it more expensive for them to operate in one part of a country over another.

I especially can't wait for the price of the pound to "fall" in the fear of unknown powers being assigned in some unknown way across England creating a clusterfuck of economic uncertainty and for ALL the papers and politicians to try and drive that fearful outcome into the populace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Collateral posted:

You think those parcels are going to sort themselves? Honestly I have first-hand experience of both, those are jobs that that need an employee to do. If an employer only has employees on 0 hours contracts, and he fires them all when those contracts are banned then they won't have a business anymore. If their business model is based on ultra casual cheap labour then we are well rid of them. The whole basis of 0 hours and SD is to save money, not to free up money to employ more people.

Just about every agency that employs on 0-hours and SD end up with poor applicants. My current employer pays £7.50 on SD, compared to £9.40 of company employees, and tend to go through 3 people before they get one they are happy with. Fine I am ok with a probationary rate, but some have been on the SD agency rate for 2 years.

Some are better than others, yeah, I'm on one and I'll be pulling probably 45 or so hours next week, but a couple of weeks ago it was 10. It's sort of unavoidable for the work and I only get minimum wage but it's better than the dole.

We do go through people fairly fast though, and employ a lot of people for only a few hours a week. I'd be worried about a sweeping 0 hour ban causing a lot of people to get fired due to the sheer logistics problem it would cause in companies that rely on it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

I'd be worried about a sweeping 0 hour ban causing a lot of people to get fired due to the sheer logistics problem it would cause in companies that rely on it.

Economic uncertainty is not a better choice than proper state entitlements for all citizens.

But really you can't get rid of them yet for this reason. Banning zero hours really would gently caress over quite a few people, and while the companies using them are unquestionably unethical and exploitative, there's no proper social floor for those that use them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

Economic uncertainty is not a better choice than proper state entitlements for all citizens.

But really you can't get rid of them yet for this reason. Banning zero hours really would gently caress over quite a few people, and while the companies using them are unquestionably unethical and exploitative, there's no proper social floor for those that use them.

Well, yes but 'proper state entitlements' apparently means people on jobseekers are the economic original sin and aren't trying hard enough. So the proper use of state money is to throw it at privatised ersatz-jobcenters to tell them to work harder.

Zero hour contracts are the lesser dropped-ball I think.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Such good news we're retiring that "minimum wage" term and substituting in much more positive, Orwellian language instead. Tally-ho!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The NHS uses a hell of a lot of staff who are technically on 'zero-hours' contracts.
A lot of work done is now commissioned on a temporary basis and finance officers are often reluctant to allow staff to be hired on a permanent or even fixed-term basis. Even when the expectation is that the contract for services will be renewed.

Ironically, there's currently a push towards persuading locum staff to take zero-hours contracts. Possibly to reduce the apparent 'agency spend'.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
According to Ed Balls we have to freeze child benefit to balance the economy.

It's time to buckle up your jelly sandals kids and stop mooching off your parents for god's sake you're almost 3.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

tdrules posted:

It's time to buckle up your jelly sandals kids and stop mooching off your parents for god's sake you're almost 3.

Milk snatching is a proud British tradition. :colbert:

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

tdrules posted:

Have 25 hours of free childcare instead...hmmm..which is worth more? A cut in child benefit or an additional 10 hours of childcare?

50p tax band and a Mansion tax on houses over £2m. Increased funding for the NHS too.

Fairly decent so far.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 22, 2014

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

tdrules posted:

I'm becoming a father in February so let it be known that I HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS (I don't like it one bit.)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

LemonDrizzle posted:

I don't think that announcing something in a widely publicised conference speech really counts as 'only whispering' - if you wanted to do that you'd get a friendly think tank to write it up in a report and then make favourable noises about the report's recommendations.

Well, one would. Otherwise this happens:

and one then loses rather than gains from making expensive promises, because whilst nobody understands price-setting and inflation, everyone understands the possibility of being too expensive to hire, and nobody believes that inter-industry substitution actually happens despite it happening all the time. You can't say "oh it's okay because we'll spur employment in this other industry" and be taken seriously.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

sebzilla posted:

I'm becoming a father in February so let it be known that I HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS (I don't like it one bit.)

Have you told your partner that you don't want to be a father?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Fatty posted:

Have you told your partner that you don't want to be a father?

:golfclap:

On another note, anyone watching Ed Balls speech on the Labour budget?

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Freezing child benefit?

Labour are indefensible

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pesmerga posted:

On another note, anyone watching Ed Balls speech on the Labour budget?
No, but the missus did tell me that he looked really weird because of the bright pink background. I phoned Mock the Week and they've booked her in for this thursday's show.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

twoot posted:

"VOTE LABOUR AND STANDARD LIFE WILL LEAVE THE loving PLANET"

If he came back to the cabinet then they'd also need to deal with stories about his mental health and lovely attitude towards his staff again.

Does Standard Life do anything outside of threaten to leave things?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29305840

quote:

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair has said that sending in combat troops to fight Islamic State militants on the ground should not be ruled out.

Why won't he just gently caress off forever? He just can't help himself

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 22, 2014

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Answers Me posted:

Why won't he just gently caress off forever?

Because he has not yet drunk the blood of every single person in Iraq, nor bathed in the entrails of every Afghan.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Why won't he just gently caress off forever? He just can't help himself

Because he may be right about this, bombing random convoys and supply depots isn't going to end IS just frustrate them temporarily and is really nothing more than a money spinner for the arms manufacturers because it is basically whackamole.

There would be little point in on the ground unless we commit to doing it properly, including going after their financial backers and there's probably bugger all chance of that happening.

Unlike the Iraq war, there are actually decent reasons for committing ground forces to fight IS, the humanitarian crisis that they are causing (and Assad too) is heart breaking and Turkey cannot continue to take in the numbers of refugees that's it is currently facing.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Now I'm home, I've had a chance to follow Ed Balls' speech. And honestly, it's pretty much indistinguishable from when the Conservatives are doing their serious face 'cuts are necessary, but remember, this is compassionate conservatism'. The differences at this point between Labour and Conservatives, particularly when the Conservatives are pushing through socially progressive policies such as equal marriage, are non-existent. They are the same party, with a different face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
I don't mind the greens proposing £10 min. wage by 2020, but it would be jucier if it was by 2015 instead. Come on greens, what do you have to lose?

• Locked thread