Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is replying on this forums slow as gently caress for anyone since the new Safari came out? Ugh. Can barely type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a good program to browse a directory of images that I can use the keyboard or something with? Preview is great for like...one picture

If you highlight a bunch of images and press Command-O, Preview opens them in a single window you can key through pretty easily.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

And as long as you also install TheUnarchiver (also free) you can browse archives of pictures too.

As far as I am concerned, Xee is perfect as a viewer once you play with some of the keyboard shortcut (make delete delete etc).

It's not Irfanview, but using a Mac always means there are some programs that are just better over there.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Bob Morales posted:

Is replying on this forums slow as gently caress for anyone since the new Safari came out? Ugh. Can barely type.

Jump ship to chrome, I found safari with under ten tabs laggy on a brand new iMac. Now I can have as many as I want, little lag. Safari used to be a good browser, not sure what they did to it. :(

the_lion fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 23, 2013

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a good program to browse a directory of images that I can use the keyboard or something with? Preview is great for like...one picture

You can also do Quicklook - select an image, hit the space bar and then use the up/down arrow keys. Not fancy, but does the job in a pinch.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This might be a bit of a silly question, but what exactly can I do with Alfred that I can't do with Spotlight? Besides the workflows, of course.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Montalvo posted:

This might be a bit of a silly question, but what exactly can I do with Alfred that I can't do with Spotlight? Besides the workflows, of course.

For the purpose of launching apps the benefit of apps like Alfred are that they're much faster than Spotlight. You can also do things like Google and Wikipedia searches, control iTunes, function as a calculator, and a bunch of other stuff that I can never remember.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the_lion posted:

Jump ship to chrome, I found safari with under ten tabs laggy on a brand new iMac. Now I can have ad many as I want, little lag. Safari used to be a good browser, not sure what they did to it. :(

Rebooted and now it's fine. Didn't take a real good look at Activity monitor before I restarted so I'm not sure if something else was going crazy but my CPU wasn't being pegged.

Adding to my frustration I just noticed that the letter keys don't repeat when you hold them down? Apparently it's been like this since Lion but I didn't notice it until now.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Can anyone recommend a free backup software that can keep my files in sync with a external hard drive every time I plug it in? I don't really want to use time machine. Although time machine may be the easiest choice.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

deadbian posted:

Can anyone recommend a free backup software that can keep my files in sync with a external hard drive every time I plug it in? I don't really want to use time machine. Although time machine may be the easiest choice.

Why don't you want to use time machine? I'm just trying to understand what needs to be different about the free software to distinguish it from Time Machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

deadbian posted:

rsync will do the job

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

benisntfunny posted:

Why don't you want to use time machine? I'm just trying to understand what needs to be different about the free software to distinguish it from Time Machine.

I'm not a fan of having multiple backups of my files. I just need my files to stay in sync with the drive.

Bob Morales posted:

rsync will do the job

I'll probably use this.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

deadbian posted:

I'm not a fan of having multiple backups of my files. I just need my files to stay in sync with the drive.

But Time Machine will just delete the old versions once it needs the space?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Montalvo posted:

I had the same question and while both launch apps, Alfred is extremely fast.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

cbirdsong posted:

But Time Machine will just delete the old versions once it needs the space?

And backup the entire OS which makes restoring a lot nicer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

pupdive posted:

And as long as you also install TheUnarchiver (also free) you can browse archives of pictures too.

As far as I am concerned, Xee is perfect as a viewer once you play with some of the keyboard shortcut (make delete delete etc).

It's not Irfanview, but using a Mac always means there are some programs that are just better over there.

GraphicConverter has always been my Irfanview equivalent, maybe check that out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Free (or cheap) software for designing basic home floor plan layouts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Punch! is like $39 or $49

http://www.punchsoftware.com/p-57-interior-design-for-mac-v17.aspx

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

You can select a bunch and hit spacebar to view a group of images/documents (In case you didn't know).

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

JHVH-1 posted:

You can select a bunch and hit spacebar to view a group of images/documents (In case you didn't know).
That's not bad, although I still wish it had directory nav by default. If I open an image in a folder with other images then it should have little arrows for thumbing through all the other images in that directory. This is probably something I got used to in Windows years ago, but it still would be nice to have now.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do you have an iOS device? Check out MagicPlan if so

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Montalvo posted:

It also has a built in clipboard manager that I use several times a day.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wario In Real Life posted:

That's not bad, although I still wish it had directory nav by default. If I open an image in a folder with other images then it should have little arrows for thumbing through all the other images in that directory. This is probably something I got used to in Windows years ago, but it still would be nice to have now.
You can do this with Quick Look (the spacebar preview) - you don't actually need to select a group of images, just hit spacebar on one of them and you can move through the others in that directory.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I have a few albums which have been split up by iTunes. Some googling indicates that they're due to the artist field being different - but the artist field is supposed to be different since the album had more than one artist. Is there any way to put them back together without making them all the same artist?

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

wdarkk posted:

I have a few albums which have been split up by iTunes. Some googling indicates that they're due to the artist field being different - but the artist field is supposed to be different since the album had more than one artist. Is there any way to put them back together without making them all the same artist?

Try using the Album Artist field or marking them as a compilation

vkeios
May 7, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Either mark them as Compilations or set an Album Artist (usually the primary artist); both can be done from that Get Info window.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What are the best SNES and MAME emulators? MacMame's site doesn't look like it's been updated since the PPC days.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

What are the best SNES and MAME emulators? MacMame's site doesn't look like it's been updated since the PPC days.
Haven't looked into it in a long time, but I guess SDLMAME is still being maintained. There's front ends for it too (...which seem old and may or may not work).

As for SNES, no clue if these still work:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/2560/snes9x.html
http://bannister.org/software/bsnes.htm

Otherwise it looks like OpenEmu is the one to keep an eye on.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

You can build openEMU from source, its dead easy.. search for their github and they give you instructions. OpenEMU is really amazing!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Every time I open Notification Center it closes automatically after a split second. I tried Googling and all I found were ways to completely disable it. Anyone else run into this?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Every time I open Notification Center it closes automatically after a split second. I tried Googling and all I found were ways to completely disable it. Anyone else run into this?
Really stupid question, but you're not double clicking the icon in the top right are you? It only needs to be single clicked/swiped in from the right edge of the trackpad.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Mercurius posted:

Really stupid question, but you're not double clicking the icon in the top right are you? It only needs to be single clicked/swiped in from the right edge of the trackpad.

Nope. It doesn't do it when I swipe in either.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I'm not even sure what the name of the thing I'm looking for here is, but with the impending death of Google Reader, I've been re-evaluating my web-consumption habits and trying to get rid of a lot of the extraneous crap I read every day and lower the amount of "idle browsing" where I just click through bookmarks and checking things out.

One problem I'm bumping in to though is that certain blogs, don't have an RSS feed attached to them (https://keen.io/blog for example), so I can't just ignore them unless they've got a little unread badge sitting next to them.

Is there an RSS reader out there (preferably a native client, but a web-version would be ok too) that will do something like "Ping this webpage every day and see if it's updated and notify me if so"? I'm not sure this makes sense, but it seems like a terrible waste of time for me to check a handful of sites every day or so just to see if they've posted something new.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a good Time Management app for mac?

Something that will notice when i'm browsing too much and pop a notification?
Also, if it could sort of list say that i used Photoshop for X hours, Chrome for X hours so at the end of the day I can fill in a work timesheet.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

devilmouse posted:

I'm not even sure what the name of the thing I'm looking for here is, but with the impending death of Google Reader, I've been re-evaluating my web-consumption habits and trying to get rid of a lot of the extraneous crap I read every day and lower the amount of "idle browsing" where I just click through bookmarks and checking things out.

One problem I'm bumping in to though is that certain blogs, don't have an RSS feed attached to them (https://keen.io/blog for example), so I can't just ignore them unless they've got a little unread badge sitting next to them.

Is there an RSS reader out there (preferably a native client, but a web-version would be ok too) that will do something like "Ping this webpage every day and see if it's updated and notify me if so"? I'm not sure this makes sense, but it seems like a terrible waste of time for me to check a handful of sites every day or so just to see if they've posted something new.

There's a few places out there where you can generate and RSS feed out of a page that doesn't have one. I forget which one I used to use but searching comes up with sites like http://page2rss.com/ and http://www.feeddude.com/

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

the_lion posted:

Is there a good Time Management app for mac?

Something that will notice when i'm browsing too much and pop a notification?
Also, if it could sort of list say that i used Photoshop for X hours, Chrome for X hours so at the end of the day I can fill in a work timesheet.

https://www.rescuetime.com/

The free version should be enough.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

JHVH-1 posted:

There's a few places out there where you can generate and RSS feed out of a page that doesn't have one. I forget which one I used to use but searching comes up with sites like http://page2rss.com/ and http://www.feeddude.com/

I'm currently waiting to see if/when these update with a new article on a few tests I threw their way (they also both claim it takes some time before you see anything, so we'll see). Thanks!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So due to my own stupidity my MBP isn't booting. It gets to one of the boot screens shows a spinner icon for 4 seconds, it goes away and comes back after 10. Repeat for hours.

No problem I think, I'll just command-R and do some recovery. The only problem is that the HD in it is a SSD that IT at work installed Mountain Lion on, but then was connected to my old Lion drive and everything was copied over, so I have a Lion recovery partition. Even after doing Internet Recovery the only option is to Install Lion. Which then fails because a newer version of the OS is installed.

I have my home Apple ID with Mountain Lion purchase, and my work Apple ID with OSX developer access and as such Mountain Lion purchase on it, but if I follow the instructions in the OP of:

quote:

How do I make a bootable installation disc for Lion/Mountain Lion?
Purchase and download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
Right click on “Mac OS X Mountain Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.”
Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another location like the Desktop.
Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your disc to burn.
Alternatively, you can restore this image to a USB or FireWire drive for a faster install process.

Will that let me reinstall/recover without destroying things in /Users and other non system folders? Alternatively I can probably fumble around the LD_LIBRARY_PATH enough to get ftp working and copy the files I need but I'd rather not spend my 3 day weekend recovering from my own stupidity.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

deadbian posted:

I wrote a script to back up my flash drive when I plug it in. There's a link in the commented-out portion which leads to an article describing how to use launchd to trigger the script when you plug in the drive.

Hope this helps. Tips or bug fixes are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

vkeios posted:

Either mark them as Compilations or set an Album Artist (usually the primary artist); both can be done from that Get Info window.

When I get info on the split albums, it gives me a "multiple item info" window.

Do I need to go through and do each track one at a time?