Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I scratched my head when Bowman re-signed Zeus. He caught lightning in a bottle last year for sure. It was foolish to think that it could happen again. Now if Bowman keeps Zeus around for next year, then I might explode. For all the talk that the Hawks are heavy users of fancy stats, some decisions sure are headscratchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I was hoping for another afternoon game for the Rangers but I see that they're playing 2 am CET. :( I didn't catch last game but I've understood that they played pretty bad and had some bad luck so hopefully they can win tonight and then close the series out on tuesday.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Handzus was too slow for the KINGS when they let him walk in 2011, and he sure as hell hasn't gotten any faster.

His job was "Take face off then get off the ice ASAP"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

D C posted:

Handzus was too slow for the KINGS when they let him walk in 2011, and he sure as hell hasn't gotten any faster.

His job was "Take face off then get off the ice ASAP"

Ahhhh the ol' David Steckel play.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Emetic Hustler posted:

I scratched my head when Bowman re-signed Zeus. He caught lightning in a bottle last year for sure. It was foolish to think that it could happen again. Now if Bowman keeps Zeus around for next year, then I might explode. For all the talk that the Hawks are heavy users of fancy stats, some decisions sure are headscratchers.

Yeah, some of Bowman's decisions this year baffled me as well. I remember going into this season Bowman was heavily talking up Pirri as being ready to take on the second-line center role, but then he resigned Handzus. Then Pirri only had playing time during the season when Handzus got hurt (coincidentally, the Hawks played their best and most consistent hockey during that stretch). I thought Pirri looked fine in the time he had, in spite of his defensive weaknesses (and Kane actually could produce with him as center!), but Q never intended on giving him a chance to develop his game further and Bowman traded him away. There's no guarantee that Pirri would have worked out here, but I can't imagine him being any worse than Handzus, and he flashed the potential to be far better.

The Sun-Times did a piece on the Hawks use of analytics after Bowman spoke at the fancy stats conference which might explain why Handzus is still here, or why Bollig is soon getting a million dollars a year to do what a dozen guys on the Ice Hogs could do for far less. He said the Hawks invented their own fancy stats, but he did not explain what those were. I imagine they found a way to quantify the veteran grit Handzus provides or the high-fives Bollig gives the team after games. :haw:

As for the task at hand, I think Q needs to shift Handzus down to the 4th line and pretty much only bring him onto the ice for defensive zone draws. He did this during the Wild series and Handzus still got pasted, but if you're going to play him, minimize the damage he does to your own team. He'd need to create a line to counter Carter's (maybe Bickell-Shaw-Saad) and a new second-line center (Smith or Regin). I think LA would still have an advantage, but not quite as drastic as the one they enjoy now.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Looks like I'll be watching tonight's game at the Bell Center. Someone bought me a ticket. Little do they know, my powerful blonde beard comes with the package. I look like the guy on Sons of Anarchy right now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Star posted:

I was hoping for another afternoon game for the Rangers but I see that they're playing 2 am CET. :( I didn't catch last game but I've understood that they played pretty bad and had some bad luck so hopefully they can win tonight and then close the series out on tuesday.

Rangers have played fine, just couldn't finish last game

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
lmao boxc is going to the game tonight and CBC picked him and his girlfriend to throw it to Ron MacLean for the opener

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

T-Bone posted:

lmao boxc is going to the game tonight and CBC picked him and his girlfriend to throw it to Ron MacLean for the opener

Hahahahah yesssssssss

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

T-Bone posted:

I've never been more angry to not have CBC in my life.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

T-Bone posted:

We did it. We're famous.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Hand Knit posted:

We did it. We're famous.

It was the SA connection for sure.

Cherry is a goon, we all know it.

opinionated, loud, and annoying, the SAS checklist

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
I'm sure he'll subtly work in the phrase "C'est une boulette de viande épicée!"

e: Rotten Cookies is right, it'd be way better/more succinct if he just screamed TRICHER POUR GAGNER

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 26, 2014

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Someone please record it and post a link TIA

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

E: ^^^ That, too.

If he doesn't shout "Tricher Pour Gagner" I'm gonna be pisssssssssed.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

I've never been more angry to not have CBC in my life.

http://hockeyreality.com/stream01.html (Adblock recommended)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

T-Bone posted:

Throw it to Ron MacLean? Forgive me I don't understand :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

At the beginning of the broadcast they have (a) fan[s] give a short intro.

I think that's what they meant.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It's a term used for transitions in tv. Like Roenick talking during pregame then he'll say "back to Pierre at the arena" and the feed changes to the other camera. In this case it'd be like "you're watching HNIC, go Rangers" or something similar then it'd change to the camera with MacLean.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

Did it already happen?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Did it already happen?

Would have been 2 hours ago. They had 4 or 5 people. I don't know what he looks like.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Furnaceface posted:

We got so lucky last year. Short season and all really hid how bad Handzus was, and now this year were seeing why SJ fans were laughing that someone actually traded for him.

To put it in perspective, Patrick Kane has 1 goal while on a line with Handzus all season, including the playoffs. He was the second line center all year. :suicide:

That's a ridiculous stat. Where'd you dig it up from? I'd like to see who Kane scores his goals alongside.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Yessssssssssssssss one game away. Get the gently caress in!

Tokarski had a pretty rough first game but has been spectacular in games 3 and 4.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers can still blow this

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Levitate posted:

Rangers can still blow this

Yes, in the Stanley Cup Finals, to the Los Angeles Kings. Also known as Literally the Worst Stanley Cup Finals of All-Time.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Congratulations Rangers/fans, by crappy luck the best player on the Habs was taken out and you punched a ticket to the Finals on that day. Tokarski has played his best but he just isn't Price.

~~Being a butthurt fan ends here~~

The Rangers have been the overall better team and even with Carey I think the Rags are up in this series.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Leaving people wide open is a problem that I doubt Therrien realizes. Gonna be a long four years of him trying to fix every problem with the same solution.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm officially on the gently caress Off Emelin bandwagon

Rene Bork posted:

Leaving people wide open is a problem that I doubt Therrien realizes. Gonna be a long four years of him trying to fix every problem with the same solution.

It's not like our loving problems haven't been issues that have plagued us all season and could be solved by good coaching adjustments. Anemic PP when PK gets pressured? gently caress it keep trying it. No defensive depth? gently caress it send out Dog again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

double sulk posted:

Yes, in the Stanley Cup Finals, to the Los Angeles Kings. Also known as Literally the Worst Stanley Cup Finals of All-Time.

It wouldn't even be the worst finals to feature the Kings and a team from a state with New in it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

double sulk posted:

Also known as Bettman's media market wet dream

Honesty it's really interesting to watch how the Habs play in always trying to fly the zone as fast as possible and hit breakaways etc. It probably bit them in the rear end on that last goal but at least it's an interesting style that you don't see a lot of in tight checking playoffs etc etc.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

demonic carl

Aphrodite posted:

It wouldn't even be the worst finals to feature the Kings and a team from a state with New in it.

yes

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Lets all stop annointed the Kings West champs asap. Don't want to give the Blackhawks bulletin board material.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Balls.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
Can anyone explain to me who Doug Murray is and why everyone seems to hate him?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

Can anyone explain to me who Doug Murray is and why everyone seems to hate him?

He's a defenseman on the Canadiens who is really very, very awful. But Michel Therrien seems to like him for his grit and the message he sends to other players. All he does, however, is turn the puck over and ice it. Habs fans hate him. Also, he hates being called Doug, because it sounds like dog. And his nickname is Crankshaft.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mr. Kite posted:

Lets all stop annointed the Kings West champs asap. Don't want to give the Blackhawks bulletin board material.

they will win regardless (the cup)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Loqieu posted:

The Flying Puck on 7th is the hockey bar you see in all those reaction videos. I like going to Molly Wee's on 8th as it's cheap, they have good food, and Dancing Larry is always there pre-game. If you want something more upscale then try Legends.

Thanks for this. I walked by the Flying Puck first, and the place was so crowded they weren't even letting anyone else inside.

I walked around the corner to Molly Wee, and it was great. Good crowd, but not so crowded that you couldn't move. Also they had a raffle and I won a Stephane Matteau signed puck so that was awesome.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Tonight was a terrible, horrendous game. They tried to call the game really tight, but they made some horrible calls on dives and they missed some. It ended up being a bad hockey game to watch with lots of bad calls, dives, and tick-tock poo poo that could've been called with how they were handling it. They didn't let intense playoff hockey happen, they called a precarious game with a third of it on power plays. This is dumber than waving off icing in 1994.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

Tonight was a terrible, horrendous game. They tried to call the game really tight, but they made some horrible calls on dives and they missed some. It ended up being a bad hockey game to watch with lots of bad calls, dives, and tick-tock poo poo that could've been called with how they were handling it. They didn't let intense playoff hockey happen, they called a precarious game with a third of it on power plays. This is dumber than waving off icing in 1994.

I can't even really fault the calls that much. I mean, every team tries to get away with shifty poo poo, but the rangers were just so goddamn bad at doing it subtly. A lil slash/trip here and there happens every game, but you can't hack on someone while staring the ref in the eyes and using your non-dominant hand to sign language "you're next, stripey"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Chicago/Los Angeles Game 3
Montreal/New York Game 4

• Locked thread