Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bring Robo. Leave Lucca at home. It's her turn to chill out with that old man in the End of Time.

Also, for pickle-related puns, I'm shocked this reference didn't occur to you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If we can drop Crono for Robo, do so. Otherwise bring Robo in for Lucca.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I once did the next dungeon without Lucca. Let's not do that.

Ditch Marle.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Ha, I knew Chrono's ultimate weapon would be something like the Masamune. Probably be a while before we get it, though. And I'm not too sure what this "Tata the Hero" business is all about. There's no way some random kid is the Chosen One. He's a fake with either bad or good intentions, I'm not sure which. Or maybe there was just a big misunderstanding.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Bring Marle & Robo. Double healing, triple with items. Might be useful if the next dungeon kicks your rear end as bad as it did mine.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

achtungnight posted:

Bring Marle & Robo. Double healing, triple with items. Might be useful if the next dungeon kicks your rear end as bad as it did mine.

I think I know why the dungeon kicked your rear end so hard.

I vote to keep Lucca, because I kinda like Leave. The rest of you guys are assholes.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
I assumed that the fiends wanted to keep the towns around because they wanted slaves and an easily accessible food source after they murdered the king and pillaged the village.
Kind of like what the Uruk-Hai do to the humans they capture in Mordor in "Shadow of Mordor".

That being said, Chrono, Lucca, and Marle. We are going for nearly peak harem for Chrono. :heysexy:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Keep Lucca. Bringing a robot to the Middle Ages is basically cheating.

Dr. Jamming
Apr 11, 2007

People are talking out there... and I hear it all.
Bring Robo ditch Marle. Robo and Lucca should hang out, and Robo can do Marle's job better anyway. Who knows if you might need fire besides?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

counterfeitsaint posted:

because I kinda like Leave.

You only say that because I PM'd you with praises for saving my bacon and telling me where I needed music links.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
Leave Robo behind. He's not a real person anyway.

Anoia posted:

Urchin comes from an old English word for hedgehog. How that came to be used for bad kids, I don't know.

And yes take Robo for the hell of it, and remove Lucca because I can't remember his techs with Marle.
I maybe have an answer? This is complete guesswork based on the OED; no other source than that one. But they offer this obscure definition:

quote:

A goblin or elf (From the supposition that they occas. assumed the form of a hedgehog.)
1584 R. Scot Discouerie Witchcraft vii. xv. 153 They haue so fraied vs with bull beggers, spirits, witches, vrchens, elues,..that [etc.].
1592 T. Nashe Strange Newes K j b, The Fairies and night Vrchins.
1594 T. Nashe Terrors of Night H j b, An old wiues tale of diuells and vrchins.
So if you think of homeless kids as evil little devils who are always causing mischief, maybe you could make the leap between them?

The timing vaguely matches up, in that this definition and the ones for roguish kids crop up in the same century. The earliest written use that they offer for "goblin or elf" is actually dated 50 or so years after their earliest usage for "roguish youngster," but since this usage relies on folklore, it's safe to assume the myth/wives' tale would predate the writings about it by a decent amount of time.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 21, 2015

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Leave's choice on the subject of bringing Robo. If we do bring him though, Ditch Marle.

That said though, I always did like the Zenan Bridge segment. If there's one thing CT is universally AMAZING at, it's building atmosphere during its events.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Bring Robo, ditch Marle

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
No robo, keep the ladies.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Don't bring Robo

zakharov posted:

Aww they got rid of "tone-deaf, evil fiends?" :smith:

I was also fond of the guy in the Porre tavern saying that "a gaggle of ghouls" exited the magic cave; it's an amusing alliteration.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

This has always been my impression as well. It's not like two podunk towns full of drunkards and layabouts are going to be an actual military threat.

Yes, Porre could certainly never be a credible military threat...Never.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Anoia posted:

And yes take Robo for the hell of it, and remove Lucca because I can't remember his techs with Marle.
Robo + Marle Dual Techs:
Currently unavailable moves are spoilered :ssh:
Ice Punch (*Ice + Rocket Punch) Punch an enemy with ice!
Ice Tackle (*Ice + Robo Tackle) Tackle enemy with glacier!
Cure Touch (*Cure 2 + Heal Beam) I don't remember the in-game description, but it may as well be a full-party full-heal!
The machine spirits are calling. Take Robo. Let your primitive, magically-enhanced foes suffer the technology of LASER :hellyeah:
It doesn't matter who gets replaced. Taking Marle is safer with Aura Whirl, and has high-power options for single-target dual techs, while Lucca allows a hard offense with potent dual techs to affect groups and single-target ones as strong as Marle's before Magic stat consideration.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Seiren posted:

Robo + Marle Dual Techs:
Currently unavailable moves are spoilered :ssh:
Ice Punch (*Ice + Rocket Punch) Punch an enemy with ice!

No Ice Punch, he gets Aura Beam which is basically Aura Whirl with a robot instead of a swordsman. You're thinking of Fire Punch, which he gets with Lucca.

My name is Rabbi and I'm here to say
For the next dungeon there's only one way
You're gonna need fire
As you climb higher
And everyone's favorite bot
Hasn't really fought
Since his homies tried to kill him
So give him a chance, he's feeling kinda dim
It's about time to send Marle away

*drops mic*

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That was beautiful.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Leavemywife posted:

You only say that because I PM'd you with praises for saving my bacon and telling me where I needed music links.

Guilty as charged.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Keep Lucca regardless because it's more interesting than any other party composition at the moment.

The Magic Cave info was something I missed when I was first here and it ended that run. When I got back here on my next run I felt really really dumb reading those NPC lines. :downs:

Guardia getting owned by the skeleton troops is also consistent: the Skeleton's are weak against magic and pretty hardy against physicals. Chrono and Co. are the only ones who have that here so they naturally cleave through them. The lack of carnage south of Zenan Bridge is a little weird from a 'burn everything' standpoint but there's really no military down there so the Fiends have been running the show.

With Zenan Bridge restored the Fiends have someone who can actually put up a fight again so naturally they invade. Plus I bet they heard about the Hero as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leave Robo behind. It wouldn't matter that much if it weren't for the fact that robots can't use magic.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

For the next dungeon there's only one way
You're gonna need fire
As you climb higher
And everyone's favorite bot
Hasn't really fought
Since his homies tried to kill him
So give him a chance, he's feeling kinda dim
It's about time to send Marle away

*drops mic*

Based on this, I'm tempted to say gently caress the rest of the votes, this is what we're using.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Leavemywife posted:

Based on this, I'm tempted to say gently caress the rest of the votes, this is what we're using.

I'm okay with this.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.
No-one would blame you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He hates Marle with such a passion, it's kind of creepy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like all the big decisions in this thread are now going to be decided by who writes the best rap.

I'm okay with this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MikeJF posted:

I feel like all the big decisions in this thread are now going to be decided by who writes the best rap.

I'm okay with this.

We need to escalate this into video performances.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

No Ice Punch, he gets Aura Beam which is basically Aura Whirl with a robot instead of a swordsman. You're thinking of Fire Punch, which he gets with Lucca.
...You're right.

drat my memory sure has gotten bad lately :sigh:

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Leavemywife posted:

Interestingly enough, it appears the crotch feeds the energy to the mouth. I'm not sure how that works and I don't want to dwell on it.
:eng101: Well, you see, in living beings, Kundalini energy (life force, essentially) lies coiled in the Muladhara (base, or root) chakra, near the basal end of the spinal column. When activated, it can be drawn upwards through, in order, the Svadhishthana (sacral), Manipura (solar plexus/navel), Anahata (heart), and Vishuddha (throat) chakras, whereupon it can be channeled outward via an appropriate prāṇāyāma (extension of breath or life force).

Of course, being a hideous Fiendish necromantic fusion of animated skeletons, Zombor has no life force per se, so instead it channels death/magic energy, and skips the intermediary steps since it’s missing the relevant vital organs/nerve plexi. Simple!

:science::zombie:

This unwanted explanation brought to you by the Nyarlathotep Foundation.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mordaedil posted:

He hates Marle with such a passion, it's kind of creepy.

I just think in a game full of overpowered demigods, she falls short. Especially since the one big thing she brings to the table gets nullified by the extra DS stuff. In any other RPG she would have been a very solid character. Plus you really kinda do need Lucca for the next part and Robo has been just rusting away at the End of Time since we got magic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She's kinda important story-wise though, so it doesn't make sense to me to exclude her so much.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I just think in a game full of overpowered demigods, she falls short. Especially since the one big thing she brings to the table gets nullified by the extra DS stuff. In any other RPG she would have been a very solid character. Plus you really kinda do need Lucca for the next part and Robo has been just rusting away at the End of Time since we got magic.

I don't understand why you don't want to put our amazing LP'er through the hell that is the next stage without Lucca.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Guardia getting owned by the skeleton troops is also consistent: the Skeleton's are weak against magic and pretty hardy against physicals. Chrono and Co. are the only ones who have that here so they naturally cleave through them. The lack of carnage south of Zenan Bridge is a little weird from a 'burn everything' standpoint but there's really no military down there so the Fiends have been running the show.

With Zenan Bridge restored the Fiends have someone who can actually put up a fight again so naturally they invade. Plus I bet they heard about the Hero as well.

Oooo, I like this explanation.

You know, in most RPGs (where I LOVE brainstorming around plot inconsistencies) I would chalk the two towns being left standing to what people have said here: we already saw a wasteland in 2300, video game needs new shops and inns and NPCs to give info. But I can see this having what we've thought of as in-game plot, and that being the developers intentions. The Fiendlord is summoning Lavos for his purposes, and so, since the outlying towns on the Southern continent aren't raising an army and keeping their heads down, he leaves them alone. When Guardia rebuilds the bridge, he launches an attack to keep them occupied.

Then we show up and put the Fiendlord in a pickle!

(Take Robo, Leave Marle, as cruel a fate as stranding her alone at The End of Time is.)

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Take Robo, Leave Marle
I like Lucca in this next segment, and Robo needs more screentime. Let's mess around with the past by bringing our robot to it!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

She's kinda important story-wise though, so it doesn't make sense to me to exclude her so much.

There are a couple of points in the future - and I suspect Leavemywife knows which already - where I hope he overrides the thread in character choices because it's... more appropriate to have one character or another with you.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Leavemywife posted:

Better idea: instead of votes, party selection will now be determined by rap battle.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Keeshhound posted:

Better idea: instead of votes, party selection will now be determined by rap battle.

This is how I would prefer to see all future decisions made.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

MCed by Gato. All raps have to conform to his rhythm and writing style. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Old Greg posted:

MCed by Gato. All raps have to conform to his rhythm and writing style. :D

My name is AJ,
I have bad ideas,
Bring Robo back,
And let Lucca skip these years...

• Locked thread