Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I thought I remembered that flip being even more ridiculous but I probably just remembered Twin Snakes enough times since watching that I just assume it was.

I could've sworn there was another shot of it in slo-mo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

It's also the episode where the major theme for this series comes into focus, as the Doctor's dislike for soldiers meets Danny's hatred of officers and it turns into a tension between social classes, the poor enlisted men sent marching into No Man's Land by the guffawing oblivious toffs, etc. "I'm the one who carries you out of the fire. He's the one who lights it." I always feel horribly put of my depth when talking about the deeper bits of writing but I think the thematic stuff in this series is maybe the strongest I've seen on this show, which is admittedly a children's show written by an insane goblin.

The problem with this is that as an audience with an outside view, Danny's reactions are pretty nuts. Despite Moffat spending about ten episodes with the concept of the Doctor as a military commander (going back to A Good Man Goes to War, essentially), we've got fifty years (including those same episodes) showing the Doctor on the frontline, throwing himself into peril, and generally working as an outsider to undo the damage done by the things Danny complains about. Tonally it just doesn't work in the context of the series no matter how much they try to stretch the show in that direction.

A small disappointment in this episode is that there weren't any left over broken Daleks in the school's basement/storage shed/whatever. I guess proto-UNIT just took them all...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 25, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's been pointed out often enough how the Doctor can let people die etc but the officer comparison isn't fair because he's so often in the thick of it with them. I think the stuff in this episode with the Doctor not liking soldiers is some of the most real-seeming characterisation this show has ever had, although I guess that's more of a criticism of how the show is generally then a compliment to this episode. I like it more than Time Heist but it's still pretty solid B to me.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, it's been pointed out often enough how the Doctor can let people die etc but the officer comparison isn't fair because he's so often in the thick of it with them

Exactly! The Doctor frequently dies for other people, sometimes without knowing if he'll even regenerate.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The real problem with how the Doctor treats Danny and vice versa is that the Doctor should drat well know better.

Remember the Brigadier, super important person to the Doctor?

yeah, he retired (once, twice, a few times) in the classic series and became... a math teacher.

So, gently caress you Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Brigadier was an officer :smug:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

2house2fly posted:

Well, he does see the Doctor telling her to make a deadly robot pursue and try to kill her and her doing it without a second thought. He doesn't need to have seen the many times the Doctor says some variant of "do as you are told" to draw some solid conclusions from that.

That scene comes long after the scene where Danny decides the Doctor is an officer-who-starts-fires, though. All he'd seen before then was the Doctor yell at them to stay out of the way when the Doctor was trying to handle the monster all on his own. (Which, you know, is exactly the opposite of what an officer would do.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Time Heist

That may be the most positive C review of anything I've ever read.

A

And More
BSam
cargohills
Colonel Cool
death .cab for qt
egon_beeblebrox
ewe2
fatherboxx
Grouchio
jng2058
Jsor
LabyaMynora
Ohtsam
Organza Quiz
Sinestro

B

2house2fly
Alkarl
Andrew_1985
AndwhatIseeisme
Bicyclops
blasmeister
Bown
Howe_sam
Labratio
Mo0
onetruepurple
Paul.Power
Rat Flavoured Rats
Senerio
thexerox123
Weird Sandwich
Xenoborg

C

Attitude Indicator
Barometz
DetoxP
Gandalf21
Lipset and Rock On
MikeJF

D

DoctorWhat
JoltSpree

F

Nada.

Overall Average Guess: B. Again I'm forced to wonder if people like this one, or just thought Toxx would.

Current rankings:

Labratio: 3
Lipset and Rock On: 3
Alkarl: 4
Gandalf21: 4
Howe_sam: 4
2house2fly: 5
Attitude Indicator: 5
blasmeister: 5
Bown: 5
DetoxP: 5
DoctorWhat: 5
fatherboxx: 5
MikeJF: 5
onetruepurple: 5
thexerox123: 5
Xenoborg: 5
Andrew_1985: 6
AndwhatIseeisme: 6
Bicyclops: 6
Organza Quiz: 6
Paul.Power: 6
Senerio: 6
Colonel Cool: 7
Grouchio: 7
jng2058: 7
JoltSpree: 7
LabyaMynora: 7
Rat Flavoured Rats: 7
Weird Sandwich: 7
And More: 8
Barometz: 8
BSam: 8
cargohills: 8
death .cab for qt: 8
Ohtsam: 8
Sinestro: 8
Jsor: 9
Mo0: 9
ewe2: 10
egon_beeblebrox: 11

A bit of an upset, as Labratio is now sharing the lead with Lipset and Rock On. We've got a giant mass of folks at 5 points, too, and that's only one review away from the lead, so we've still got a lot of solid contenders for the win.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I tend to like heist stories a lot as well. Just something about them hooks me. And I'm always a sucker for "the scary monster just wanted to be reunited with his/her scary monster wife/husband" type bits.

I liked most of the comedic stuff in the Caretaker.The Scovox Blitzer is hilariously goofy looking though. Actually, I quite like that the robot with (apparently) terrifyingly strong powers looks daft. I get the feeling it wasn't supposed to though. It looks even goofier in real life. If that's even the right phrase. He's so tiny. :3:

Also the flip is great, Danny is great

e: even the name is goofy, it sounds like some kind of space age kitchen utensil

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JoltSpree posted:

And I know the whole PE Teacher thing is supposed to be because Danny's a soldier but I still get a massive racist vibe from that joke, and it's pretty uncomfortable to watch. Especially since it gets run into the ground.

The Matt Smith cosplayer made me laugh though.

Oh, right. This episode. I have a big rant about this but can't remember which episodes stand out the Doctor's dickishness toward Clara because HE'S A DICK TO HER IN EVERY EPISODE.

I like most of his jabs, but this episode crosses the line. The Doctor, though he looks like an old man and is still as asexual toward humans as he's ever been, seems to be smugly satisfied with himself when he believes that Clara wants to bang a guy who looks just like the Eleventh Doctor. It's like he's under the spell that he's left her comparing all the men around her to him, and how pleased he is with himself over it. Or at the very least, his approval to see Clara and Not Matt Smith hook up seems like some sort of prideful moment of feeding his ego. So his being pissed about Danny not only comes off as a little bit racist, he's got this whole "I thought you were dating the person I approved of!! (basically me)" thing going on. Very mad that he didn't ruin her ability to fall for normal unspectacular people, and that she wasn't looking for a romantic surrogate for the time lord she can't have.

It basically makes The Doctor seem like a Reddit poster.

If it was any more obvious he would have said, "I used to be David Tennant, you know! Couldn't move for all the panties dropping everywhere!"

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I always interpreted it as him behaving a bit like an overprotective father. Sure, the Doctor wants Clara to be happy, but the guy Clara dates should still live by the same values he himself cherishes. It's definitely an ego thing, but I think it's about values and not sexual attraction.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the guy that looks like Smith comes into it at all except for humour purposes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ugh, 'The Caretaker', aka 'Doctor Who: The Sitcom'. That wacky Mork Kramer Doctor, what will he do next? Somewhere in the depths of Twelve's psyche, Three is screaming in pained embarrassment.

Still not the worst episode of the season, either. Or even the second-worst. :sigh:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Eh, I loved The Caretaker. I like my Doctor Who occasionally slapstick. And we've already passed the worst of the season (with one glaring exception).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The worst of the season is definitely yet to come.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Eh, I loved The Caretaker. I like my Doctor Who occasionally slapstick. And we've already passed the worst of the season (with one glaring exception).

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh boy I can't wait

kant
May 12, 2003

2house2fly posted:

The Brigadier was an officer :smug:

Plus all he ever wanted to do was blow things up. If the Doctor should have learned anything it's that the officers all kinda suck. The only good guy was Benton, a lowly Sergeant.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SirSamVimes posted:

All of this worst is yet to come (not a spoiler) posting makes me spitefully hope he really likes that episode.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The 4400 can't find a show with bigger differences between its peaks and valleys.

Of course, as far as I can tell, you can't find the show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And More posted:

I always interpreted it as him behaving a bit like an overprotective father. Sure, the Doctor wants Clara to be happy, but the guy Clara dates should still live by the same values he himself cherishes. It's definitely an ego thing, but I think it's about values and not sexual attraction.

Also, the Doctor thinks that's what style is. I always thought it was a bit of 'oh yeah Clara going for the HOTTIE' without him ever even realising it looked like one of his own incarnations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

The 4400 can't find a show with bigger differences between its peaks and valleys.

Of course, as far as I can tell, you can't find the show.

It's on Canadian Netflix, for whatever that's worth.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

McDragon posted:

I tend to like heist stories a lot as well. Just something about them hooks me. And I'm always a sucker for "the scary monster just wanted to be reunited with his/her scary monster wife/husband" type bits.

I liked most of the comedic stuff in the Caretaker.The Scovox Blitzer is hilariously goofy looking though. Actually, I quite like that the robot with (apparently) terrifyingly strong powers looks daft. I get the feeling it wasn't supposed to though. It looks even goofier in real life. If that's even the right phrase. He's so tiny. :3:

Also the flip is great, Danny is great

e: even the name is goofy, it sounds like some kind of space age kitchen utensil

And looks like garrus from mass effect

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Stanfield posted:

The Caretaker made me not like Danny.

Firstly because he makes the assumption that Clara does whatever the Doctor says despite almost no evidence to suggest so, which we're meant to take seriously even though one of Clara's defining traits up until this point being "calls the Doctor on his poo poo". Secondly you don't just walk into a person's house/spaceship/time machine and start acting like a dick and insulting them :colbert:.

:hfive: Exactly this.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

SirSamVimes posted:

To be fair, so's the best.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah Listen aired already.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Paul.Power posted:

To be fair, so's the best.

This is fact.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

The worst of the series is definitely yet to come.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Both of those statements are almost certainly true by any metric. Now what those episodes are....practically no one agrees. The Doctor Who fan experience, in a nutshell.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is actually the one time (outside of s5's Silurian story) where almost everyone can agree on the worst of a season.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

This is actually the one time (outside of s5's Silurian story) where almost everyone can agree on the worst of a season.

I still agree. Worst of the season. But still a good episode.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Ugh way to try and spout your terrible opinion as consensus :rolleyes:

(Seriously though, that episode is unquestionably the worst.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I watched season 8 as it aired and I genuinely don't know what episode everyone's referring to. From memory there are a couple that have weak elements but nothing that's irredeemable trash.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What happened to that mod who used to probate anyone who talked about what was going to happen later on in the season in this thread?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seriously.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They realised there were far more important things in this world, probably?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think Annakie said she hasn't seen S8 so she left?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Probably best not to watch S8 considering some of the episodes that are coming up!!!! Hoo boy!!! Just you wait!!!!!!!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had forgotten about the pile of dogshit that comes next. Fortunately, it's followed by two good ones, a turd, and two decent episodes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why do people keep giving opinions of future episodes in this thread? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the next episode Occ has to see is just sublime, actually! Then the two after that suck, before another masterpiece!!!

(this is all made up)

• Locked thread