Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sportsball chat for a sec, anyone else watching the Michigan State / Oregon game? It's going well :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T1g4h posted:

Sportsball chat for a sec, anyone else watching the Michigan State / Oregon game? It's going well :getin:

Nowhere near as amusing as OU/Tenn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, it's a little bit mean spirited but the "Dear Fat People" video is pretty loving hilarious despite being obnoxiously edited.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Welp some dipshit just shot our loving front door with a goddamn BB gun. :v: Shattered the whole outer glass pane.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

iwentdoodie posted:

I dunno, watching Sparty continuously shut down the Oregon offense is pretty entertaining :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Welp some dipshit just shot our loving front door with a goddamn BB gun. :v: Shattered the whole outer glass pane.

Do you live near the highway in AZ?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just drank so much vodka and red bull it feels like I blew a gram of yayo minus the face numbess.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got some free t shirts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Test drove a Factory Five 818. The seller had two, one of which was street legal (horn, wipers, cat) but not titled by Mass as a kit car, and another one that doesn't have wipers but is somehow registered.
The 818 weighs 1800lbs and has manual steering and manual brakes. The manual steering is good. The last manual steering car I had was a 944, and that steering rack was tremendous and sets a high bar. The 818 has strong kickback, but the weighting is nice and the feedback is undiluted. Overall, the steering lends the car a really raw feel.

The unassisted brake stops the car fine if you really stomp on it, but it goes beyond raw to unsafe, imo.
The sound and feel of the car tackling bumpy roads reminds me of my NA Miata -- it's ok if the suspension is super crashy -- the thing doesn't weigh anything.
Power: pretty insane in the car I drove -- 300hp. The car scoots really hard in the top half of the rev range.
Shifter: finally, in contrast to the rubbery stuff in the Spyder and Evora, this car had some crazy tight and short throw aftermarket shifter. Probably just an inch travel in each direction. I got lost 40% of the time trying to find gears, but man it was sweet to shift it home. The shifting compares favorably to a Formula Mazda car I drove at Bondurant:
http://i.imgur.com/B7XPVIl.jpg
Unfortunately, the street legal car just has the WRX shift tower, so nothing special. I could Kartboy it, of course.

For the selling price, I am very tempted. The two main scares are going through the Mass kit car titling process and the manual brakes. Last I understood (from the Type 65 project), the donor car's model year dictates the inspection standard. The seller seems to have a good handle on the procedure, partly because he lives close to Factory Five and knows some people there.

I think of this car as a better built, scarier version of the turbo Festiva I had once. Every time you step on it, you know you're gonna die if something goes wrong.

Tomorrow is the 348.
Going into it, it's Spyder > 818 > Evora. The Evora was nice and cheaper than the Spyder, but the 818's price proposition is insane.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Just got back from that one. Christ UTs offense was terrible. Our receivers were asleep or something and our running back decided straight up the middle for 1-2 yards was a good idea every single time.

Also a reminder: Oklahoma was down by 14 with 9 minutes left in the fourth and still won.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The lady and I took the long way through town today to go shopping and stumbled across a British car show. Several very nice Triumphs, Morgans, Minis, etc., but my favorite was probably the Lotus Esprit V8. No good pics other than the few phone snaps my girlfriend took (I was too busy poking my head into and around all the cars) but it was a good time. You couldn't have asked for better weather for a car show, either; upper 70s, sunshine, and a slight breeze.

I expect the park to be declared a superfund site after all the oil leaks. :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tonight, one of my friends is having a small bonfire in his backyard, just a few friends on a whim. Instead of being a normal person and texting or calling friends to invite them over, he created a Facebook event page. In which he states you MUST click "Attending" to show up, and not only MUST you click "Attending", you MUST ALSO post on the event page wall to prove that you're serious about attending this extravagant and painfully prepared event. He has so far called out two people that have commented mentioning they're going to show up for not clicking "Attending" and not also posting on the wall stating that they are indeed attending.

But don't worry guys, I showed him. I stayed home and watched Netflix all evening. :smug:

Edit: Glad I stayed home. Heard a bunch of bros screaming on the street so I went to look out my window just in time to see a drunk chick that was with them roll her ankle off the curb and eat it face first into the street. Aw yeah.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went to Orlando to meet a friend. Had good food and drink. Totally worth the 3.5-4 hour drive. 50 is a good road to just cruise on.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I haven't stopped laughing for 20 mins http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3lgI9QIV8

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MustardFacial posted:

I haven't stopped laughing for 20 mins http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3lgI9QIV8

It's safe to say I saw NOFX live before many people on SA were born. :colbert:

(first concert I ever went to, senior year of high school, it was a ton of gently caress YES)

(also kind of wondering how a 45 second song leaves you laughing for 20 minutes...)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

some texas redneck posted:

It's safe to say I saw NOFX live before many people on SA were born. :colbert:

(first concert I ever went to, senior year of high school, it was a ton of gently caress YES)

(also kind of wondering how a 45 second song leaves you laughing for 20 minutes...)

Whoops, I meant to do this video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CyOaRbfogXo

gently caress phone posting. And gently caress this phone as well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well at least you have good taste in music. :colbert:

edit: I've had country, of all things, stuck in my head all day. 80s country. I want to stick knitting needles through my eardrums, but then I'd never hear anything again except for the country music stuck in my head. :suicide:

edit2: shipped back the first new phone today (the one I had to replace thanks to Amazon sending me an AT&T version instead of a carrier-neutral version). Amazon shows that it's now delayed by customs. It's going to Arizona, what the gently caress Amazon + UPS? :stonklol:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 13, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Previa_fun posted:

The lady and I took the long way through town today to go shopping and stumbled across a British car show. Several very nice Triumphs, Morgans, Minis, etc., but my favorite was probably the Lotus Esprit V8. No good pics other than the few phone snaps my girlfriend took (I was too busy poking my head into and around all the cars) but it was a good time. You couldn't have asked for better weather for a car show, either; upper 70s, sunshine, and a slight breeze.

I expect the park to be declared a superfund site after all the oil leaks. :v:

They do a nice show in town for Brit cars. Wait till you see a Sunbeam with a Ford 302 in it. Basically it's the size of a triumph with a bad rear end motor.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Still watching Goodwood revival, 60s GT cars currently. Watching a lovely E-type spanking a field of AC Cobras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sGzQKKzVc

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

urgh... did a full drive flange to drive flange rebuild on the front axle of a mates landcruiser today (80 series) because of knackered kingpin bearings and REALLY noisy CV joints.

First side, CV didnt want to seperate from the drive shaft and mushroomed out the splines where the circlip holds it on. Had to hack the cage apart with a grinder and an air hammer, pop the balls out then grind through the inner spider in 3 places and split it with a cold chisel to get the thing off the shaft. THEN clean up the splines for the new CV to fit on.

Second one the CV popped right off with the pipe trick, but then when we were putting it back together one of the studs for the kingpin bearings sheared off out of the knuckle. Lost an hr trying to find a replacement stud.

So. Much.Grease. Would have gone through two dozen pairs of gloves each and we filled a 20L bucket with paper towels and rags from cleaning out CV's and steering knuckles. Burnt them all in the shed fire and got a 10" flue to glow red hot from firebox to shed roof! Hell of an improvement tho, he can turn under power without "CLACK CLACK CLACK" following him and the steering doesnt "Tip" out of the centre any more because the king pin bearings no longer have grooves hammered into them.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

Still watching Goodwood revival, 60s GT cars currently. Watching a lovely E-type spanking a field of AC Cobras.

I delivered there the other day, and am going back tomorrow to collect.

Unfortunately my contractor pass specifically said "Does not allow access to show."

Bastards.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My girl drives a new manual Jetta, Roomie A's GF drives a new manual Passat, and Roomie B drives a new... automatic Jetta. They both called him a pussy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mooseykins posted:

I delivered there the other day, and am going back tomorrow to collect.

Unfortunately my contractor pass specifically said "Does not allow access to show."

Bastards.

Pity, it looks like great fun. Might have to go next year.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My girl drives a new manual Jetta, Roomie A's GF drives a new manual Passat, and Roomie B drives a new... automatic Jetta. They both called him a pussy.
I like when you post.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cage posted:

I like when you post.

I bet all those people loooooove Tom Brady.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

Pity, it looks like great fun. Might have to go next year.

I went last year, got 25% off through work so I treated dad and younger brother, elder bro couldn't make it. Well worth it. Will go again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I bet all those people loooooove Tom Brady.

I heard Tom Brady had a Jetta once but he got rid of it because the TPMS light wouldn't stop coming on.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

loving hate Football season. Every dude within a 3 hour radius of me wants to blow Tom Brady.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Super Aggro Crag posted:

loving hate Football season. Every dude within a 3 hour radius of me wants to blow Tom Brady.

dude chill and go eat wings and drink on a patio somewhere and stare at skirts. Football season is magic.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

If I wanted to get drunk and watch a gang of dudes chase down one guy and whoop his rear end I would sit on my front porch. Gonna watch Fast and Furious 7 instead.

Also the old man expressed interest in buying a Mercury Marauder again. He needs to get one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Football season is great but fantasy football fucktards who can't shuuuuuuuuut gently caress up about it really are the worst. I hear about 3 hours of it every day at work.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So the cast of the next F&F is just gonna be like 15 jacked bald guys, huh?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ferremit posted:

urgh... did a full drive flange to drive flange rebuild on the front axle of a mates landcruiser today (80 series) because of knackered kingpin bearings and REALLY noisy CV joints.

First side, CV didnt want to seperate from the drive shaft and mushroomed out the splines where the circlip holds it on. Had to hack the cage apart with a grinder and an air hammer, pop the balls out then grind through the inner spider in 3 places and split it with a cold chisel to get the thing off the shaft. THEN clean up the splines for the new CV to fit on.

Second one the CV popped right off with the pipe trick, but then when we were putting it back together one of the studs for the kingpin bearings sheared off out of the knuckle. Lost an hr trying to find a replacement stud.

So. Much.Grease. Would have gone through two dozen pairs of gloves each and we filled a 20L bucket with paper towels and rags from cleaning out CV's and steering knuckles. Burnt them all in the shed fire and got a 10" flue to glow red hot from firebox to shed roof! Hell of an improvement tho, he can turn under power without "CLACK CLACK CLACK" following him and the steering doesnt "Tip" out of the centre any more because the king pin bearings no longer have grooves hammered into them.

Uhh...how's that smell?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Don't you drive a Hyundai?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

88h88 posted:

I've never seen so many Cobra's before in my life.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

The bro edition one.

Just picked up a nice 3lb tri tip and got it coated in salt to cook later...can't loving wait. poo poo is gonna be delicious.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

Even if its driving the correct wheels, its still a Hyundai.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

iwentdoodie posted:

The bitch edition one.

Ftfy

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

88h88 posted:

So the estimated value of the field is 'over 150 million British pounds'. :stare:

Edit: That's over $231 million US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My car is sexy as gently caress and you are all just haters driving Miatas. My warranty will outlive the entirety of your poo poo-box car.

• Locked thread