Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The fact that oliwan is ragging on Manchester United makes me kind of like them and that's really uncool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mourinho is great entertainment which is good imo

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mourinho averaged 1.2 points during his last 29 games lmao

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Blue Star Error posted:

Tbf Woodward persuades companies to hand over hundreds of millions of pounds for a couple of retweets and a logo in some forgotten corner of Man U's website so he can't be that bad at negotiation.

Hes really really good at corporate deals but has no clue how the football world works is what I was told 3 years ago

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
TIL What DZSiBoT and xG mean.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Meat Wagon posted:

TIL What DZSiBoT and xG mean.

Talk like this makes me wistfully reminisce about the good ol days of the Jozy thread. Far post peels, near post crashes, etc

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The league table doesn't lie and it's telling me United are poo poo. Most expensive squad ever assembled and already eleven points off the pace.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

You're still upset about that 0-0 at Anfield aren't you?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Talk like this makes me wistfully reminisce about the good ol days of the Jozy thread. Far post peels, near post crashes, etc

turn and burn

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Maybe the Liverpool fans are just upset that the United fans have surpassed them in delusion.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hadji murad posted:

Maybe the Liverpool fans are just upset that the United fans have surpassed them in delusion.

cant wait for someone to ironically post a badly shopped manchester united boom-bust cycle graph

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

The Jozy thread died when it turned out Bojan was actually ok but not great in England.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Jose posted:

mourinho is great entertainment which is good imo
Mourinho is really the best and I'm so happy United signed him. Great season so far.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

hadji murad posted:

Come back when it's been 26 years.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

The Jozy thread died when it turned out Bojan was actually ok but not great in England.

Jozy returned to the other side of the pond with his hilariously insecure publicist of the same name.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Scikar posted:

I have no complaints about this season, how about you?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I miss the Jozy thread

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Scikar posted:

And the 2-0 against Burnley. I bet they'd be challenging for the title too if it wasn't for bad luck and biased refs.

TheBigAristotle posted:

If you want delusional posts by american plastics, you're in the right place.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

fart simpson posted:

I miss the Jozy thread

Me too. We need him to come back to make this forum great again.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ewar Woowar posted:

I have no complaints about this season, how about you?

Like pretty much all the other United fans here I'm enjoying the fact that we're playing much better football than we were last season and I'm confident the results will reflect that soon enough. I don't really see what's hard to understand about that or why fans of other teams keep telling me what I should or shouldn't expect.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Scikar posted:

Like pretty much all the other United fans here I'm enjoying the fact that we're playing much better football than we were last season and I'm confident the results will reflect that soon enough. I don't really see what's hard to understand about that or why fans of other teams keep telling me what I should or shouldn't expect.

We played pretty well under Rodgers too and kept coming across keepers playing worldies and we know how that turned out.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

We played pretty well under Rodgers too and kept coming across keepers playing worldies and we know how that turned out.

Not really...we got dragged and carried by Suarez and once he left we saw what that team could really do under Rodgers.

I mean, i guess if you want to say we played consistently at a 6-7th place level...

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 29, 2016

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

fart simpson posted:

I miss the Jozy thread

It's a shame Pulisic is actually genuinely good

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Scikar posted:

Do you think top four is a reality? And which team would be crashing out for that to happen?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think the Christmas period will give a good idea of whether a CL spot is realistic or not for United. Any more than 9 points off at that point and we'd better focus on the Europa League. As for who would make way of the top 4 as it stands, it's hardly a lock, United are only 8 points behind at the moment and only 3 points separate 1st-4th. City have been stuttering of late, and it remains to be seen if Liverpool can keep that tempo going, especially through Christmas, FA Cup starting soon, etc. Arsenal are going to flounder at some point, their annual slips taking them out of contention for everything right around the corner.

I've picked Chelsea for the title, I think 2nd-4th is still well up in the air, Spurs and United are nowhere near out of the running yet.

Of the current top 4, United have lost against City and Chelsea, losing away at Chelsea is hardly unexpected, the loss to City at home obviously should have been better, honours even Liverpool away and Arsenal at home. A draw at Anfield was a better result than the draw against Arsenal, but the performance against Arsenal was much better.

It's almost as if the team is transitioning from dire boring shite with very few shots under van Gaal into something a bit more dynamic under Mourinho.

Whatever happens, barring going full Mourinho, Jose will get this season for free and be judged on next season and on current evidence, I'm OK with that.

Given the injuries and squad rotation, the only particularly "disastrous" performances imo were Chelsea away, Watford away and City at home, all of which came before this improvement in play.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 29, 2016

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Liverpool are going to struggle in January and when the AFCON starts. Depending on how Coutinho and Lallanas injuries play out we could be without our 3 best players during that time. In which case yeah 4th spot would probably be our best case scenario.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I don't see us catching City or Chelsea. Liverpool and Arsenal don't have the squad depth to survive an injury crisis though (like say Coutinho being injured...) so I don't think either of them can feel safe with this much time to go. But speaking of injuries, we need Smalling back soon or we'll keep dropping points to sloppy defending with Rojo at the back.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
'only 8 points off 4th place'

time to crack open the champagne lads

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Not really...we got dragged and carried by Suarez and once he left we saw what that team could really do under Rodgers.

I mean, i guess if you want to say we played consistently at a 6-7th place level...

United are in sixth at the moment hence the comparison.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
worst start in 36 years: Here's why that's a good thing

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

'only 8 points off 4th place'

time to crack open the champagne lads

Are you going to argue an 8 point gap is insurmountable with 25 matches still to play and 75 points still up for grabs?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Ninpo posted:

Are you going to argue an 8 point gap is insurmountable with 25 matches still to play and 75 points still up for grabs?

No but it's a big gap.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ewar Woowar posted:

United are in sixth at the moment hence the comparison.

Fair enough

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's very funny to see that there are still united posters who think they have a shot at 4th place.

Points after 13 games:

13/14: 22 (Moyes)
14/15: 22 (Van Gaal)
15/16: 27 (Van Gaal)
16/17: 20 (Mourinho)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

oliwan posted:

It's very funny to see that there are still united posters who think they have a shot at 4th place.

Points after 13 games:

They do still have a shot though, its not out of the realms of possibility that Liverpool or Arsenal have a catastrophic run after new years

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

Points after 13 games:

And yet Van Gaal managed to get 4th in his first season, while Moyes failed to, as did 15/16 Van Gaal despite having more points at the same stage. It's almost as if points after 13 games is a loving meaningless stat and points after 38 are what count.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

oliwan posted:

Points after 13 games:

turns out van gaal was insanely good

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
LVG was loving poo poo and made us play mind numbingly boring football and no amount of revisionism will change that.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Imo United won't make top 4 but will qualify for the CL by winning the Europa League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can't wait to win the Carabao Cup!

• Locked thread