Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The Last Expr-EDIT: Dangit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Star Control 2 is literally the only game other than The Last Express that works that way that I can think of

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

Are there any realtime adventure games out there? I mean realtime as opposed to a static world and the game advancing based on scripted events. The closest example I can think of to what I'm looking for is the original Lara Bow: The Colonel's Bequest. In that game the story took place in ~30 minute increments in which the world kind of moved on its own and you could follow certain npcs around to see what they did, go to certain places that would only be open at certain times, etc. It was a neat idea because you couldn't do everything - you had to choose whether you wanted to go eavesdrop on this guy at his secret meeting or go see what the old lady keeps going to the stables for, since both were happening at the same time and would happen with or without you. Any suggestions?

Blade Runner is scripted but Westwood was clever enough to hide the puppet strings. Characters move around and events have some variance to them. You can't actually fail but sometimes it feels like you can. For example you encounter a replicant and chase him through the back alleys. If you do this sequence right you'll fight him right there. If you gently caress up then he gets away and the trail goes seemingly cold until he ambushes you later on. It's a good illusion at non-linearity while being totally scripted.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

futurememory posted:

What's a good place to start with CRPGS, preferably of the isometric/Infinity Engine type?

I pretty much grew up on JRPGs, and I've liked recent mainstream western RPG releases (like Mass Effect, Diablo 3, etc.). I like dungeon crawlers (think on the lines of an Etrian Odyssey) and roguelikes as well.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions, but not PoE - I really want to see what influenced that game before diving in. I also feel like it'll make it harder to go back an experience the older games.

The Iron Rose posted:

The Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition 1 and 2, no question.
This seems to be the answer I'm finding across the internet, but I want to piggyback on this question and see if there's something else I should be looking at. Here's what I'm looking for in a CRPG

- I adore Final Fantasy 1 and 2 (US, 4...) and Dragon Warrior 1 through 4.
- I prefer a party to solo play
- Even though it's a party I like the idea of being able to determine a character's advancement. Whether this is multiclass, assigning skills, class change, etc, but something more than "you're a mage"
- I love the D&D classes - it doesn't need to be a D&D game (because it'd probably be Baldur's Gate), but "strongly inspired by" would be a good start

Is this a thing? The closest I can think of is something from the Elder Scrolls series which checks every box except having a group of characters, but I simply don't like that series so I was hoping for something else. Any suggestions?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 25, 2016

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This seems to be the answer I'm finding across the internet, but I want to piggyback on this question and see if there's something else I should be looking at. Here's what I'm looking for in a CRPG

- Even though it's a party I like the idea of being able to determine a character's advancement. Whether this is multiclass, assigning skills, class change, etc, but something more than "you're a mage"
- I love the D&D classes - it doesn't need to be a D&D game (because it'd probably be Baldur's Gate), but "strongly inspired by" would be a good start

Is this a thing? The closest I can think of is something from the Elder Scrolls series which checks every box except having a group of characters, but I simply don't like that series so I was hoping for something else. Any suggestions?

Baldur's Gate is party play with you as the main character and many travelling companions (it's the original Bioware game, actually, and you can see where their formula started). You completely control each character's advancement. It uses ADnD 2.5 for its game system.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Baldurs gate 2 hits all those notes, but I felt Neverwinter Nights 2 handled character customization and advancement better. NN2 has perks and traits that you can choose from while BG2 you basically just assign a few points and if you're a mage choose your spells to memorize. Though I think a lot of them are from the expansions so you have to play the complete edition.

KOTOR 2 as well maybe. It's pretty much D&D with Star Wars dressings.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 25, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Leper Residue posted:

KOTOR 2 as well maybe. It's pretty much D&D with Star Wars dressings.
Yeah KOTOR is based on the D20 rule system, basically a slightly more generalized version of the D&D 3,5 edition rules used in NWN 2.

futurememory posted:

What's a good place to start with CRPGS, preferably of the isometric/Infinity Engine type?

I pretty much grew up on JRPGs, and I've liked recent mainstream western RPG releases (like Mass Effect, Diablo 3, etc.). I like dungeon crawlers (think on the lines of an Etrian Odyssey) and roguelikes as well.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions, but not PoE - I really want to see what influenced that game before diving in. I also feel like it'll make it harder to go back an experience the older games.
Echoing the others and saying Baldur's Gate. If you're only gonna get one, make it BG2.
If you really get into that style of game, the Icewind Dale games are worth checking out too.They're like Baldur's Gate's less wordy and more action-oriented, more dungeon-crawly siblings. IWD2 might be tough to get working on modern systems though, since it hasn't gotten the "Enhanced Edition" treatment all the others have, which is a shame because it's also a great goddamn game.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Baldur's Gate has a party and you do get to choose some things for your partymembers' levelups, but the old AD&D system is pretty limited in the way of meaningful differentiation. However like Leper Residue said, NWN2 has a whole slew of options for that, because it uses the newer rule set in which you can multiclass pretty freely, not to mention all the prestige classes available in it (special classes you can't pick until your character meets the requirements).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I will look into NWN 2, thank you!

Any suggestions that aren't D&D but which take heavy inspiration from? I'm almost looking for something which is newer, last 6-7 years, but can even play like a game from 25 years ago (or can play like a new game). Anything non-D&D?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I mentioned it on the last page, but Divinity: Original Sin is a very good recent top-down RPG if you don't mind turn-based combat, which I'm guessing you don't since you like JRPGs. Dragon Age: Origins is a decent game in the same vein, with real-time-with-pause combat, though its sequels have turned away from its Infinity inspiration. Other than that, if we're keeping it strictly top-down, there's not that much I can think of. There's a reason that that subgenre of CRPG was considered to be dead up until about two years ago.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've been playing a stupid amount of Rising Storm and insurgency. What's the latest good shooter that all the kids are playing?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm looking for a strategy game that goes between X-COM or Fire Emblems's "every soldier is unique" and an RTS where you mass produce cookie cutter units that youdon't care about a single bit by the thousand. Ideally, you'd have a persistent army that keeps getting better, like the old Shadow of the Horned Rat. I've played Panzer General and Mount and Blade to death already.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 25, 2016

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Danger Mahoney posted:

Are there any realtime adventure games out there? I mean realtime as opposed to a static world and the game advancing based on scripted events.

If you like interactive fiction, then the old Magnetic Scrolls game "Corruption" is exactly this. It's also incredibly difficult.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SquadronROE posted:

I've been playing a stupid amount of Rising Storm and insurgency. What's the latest good shooter that all the kids are playing?

Eh... good and all the kids are playing are two different categories :v:

IMO Insurgency and Rising Storm are good. Not a ton of FPS out since then...

Things kids are into these days: CSGO (pretty fun, but its same old CS) CODBLOPS3 (jetpacks are fun, everything else is very random)

If you're willing to try something kinda funny, check out Devil's Daggers and Superhot. Both cheap indie FPS, not particularly big games but what they do, they do WELL.

Mirror's edge catalyst is almost out and should be fun. I'd just play Insurgency until then if I was you, that or Devil's Daggers.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a strategy game that goes between X-COM or Fire Emblems's "every soldier is unique" and an RTS where you mass produce cookie cutter units that youdon't care about a single bit by the thousand. Ideally, you'd have a persistent army that keeps getting better, like the old Shadow of the Horned Rat. I've played Panzer General and Mount and Blade to death already.

Dawn of War 2 does this very, very well.

Company of Heroes 1 & 2 less so with the persistence but both are great RTS that focus more on smaller numbers of troops that can be upgraded and micromanaged.

Company of Heroes 1 is probably one of the best RTS ever made, although again doesn't have the persistence of leveling up your troops between matches the way Dawn of War 2 does. COH2 is okay but not quite as well balanced.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 25, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

It might be more complex than what you're looking for, but you could give the Total War series a try - ideal starting points are either Attila (the most recent one) or Shogun 2 (generally considered to be overall the best in the series). Both are good so it really just comes down to which setting you find more interesting.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

age of wonders 3? Turn based strategy, armies ("parties" of up to 8 units) can level up to silver & gold after enough kills, and you have hero units that level up for unique abilities and use special items. But none of them are irreplaceable, just a severe blow when you lose them.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

Squad is kind of similar to those two shooters and seems to be getting praise. ARMA is good if you want a more sim-like shooter, although be prepared to join a group if you want to have any fun. I recently picked up Battlefield 4 and have been enjoying it immensely, but that leans more on the arcadey side with sim elements like bullet drop.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Rainbow Six: Siege, which is basically CS:GO with classes.

Probottt fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 25, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone know if there's a game similar to ZType (http://zty.pe/) but for less skilled typists? Trying to help my nephew to stop hunt'n'pecking.

I would do 'typing of the dead' but the player in question is 9 years old and his mother doesn't approve of violent zombie games. What good typing stuff is out there these days?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Tell his mother that he won't be able to hide under her skirt forever and get him a copy of Typing of the Dead.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you don't mind it being old and really low-rent, I had my fun with Typer Shark as a kid. Most of the game is just typing random words to stop sharks from getting you but it's cartoony, not really violent. There are also typing tests where you have to type longer paragraphs and such. I remember it having a good spread of difficulty settings too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just finally finished Aquanox after having it sit in my gog account for literally years and it was pretty good. A bit on the janky side for someone used to freespace-style aim assists and craft tended to bump into one another slightly too much but it's overall a fun vehicle combat sim.

Is the second one also good, better or worse?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Two games you might want to look into:

Bungie's Myth series is small scale skirmish battles involving maybe a couple dozen guys at once. It's all about utilizing the abilities of your troops efficiently so little things like traps and terrain play largely into success.

Then there's the Kohan series which is closer to Shadow of the Horned Rat than anything else. It has traditional RTS elements like resource gathering and base building but the primary focus is on creating companies of warriors that are controlled unilaterally by a captain. So you're controlling the captains and under them you've got the battle lines and support who act independently.

I'm pretty sure both games aren't sold digitally but they're probably not difficult to find. Last I checked my Kohan CD ran on Windows 7. Myth is from the 90s so you probably need some workarounds but if loving Oni can get a fan-made installer then there has to be something for Myth.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Two games you might want to look into:
Myth
I really wish there was still a Myth community. That was such a good game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

double nine posted:

I just finally finished Aquanox after having it sit in my gog account for literally years and it was pretty good. A bit on the janky side for someone used to freespace-style aim assists and craft tended to bump into one another slightly too much but it's overall a fun vehicle combat sim.

Is the second one also good, better or worse?

Worse. It's way dumbed down.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

A friend and I are looking for some ARPG games on PC with good online coop and a lot of character customization. We've played a lot of Borderlands 2 and Saints Row 3 and 4, and a ton of Final Fantasy XIV and Animal Crossing, and we're in the mood for something new. We'd like something that requires us to cooperate and spend most of our time together. SR3 was great at this by letting us drive each other around, and FFXIV is all about group content. Meanwhile SR4 and Borderlands 2 got old kinda quickly because they encouraged us to either split up or go off on our own for longish periods. We also love customizing our character's appearance and stats/skills. Anyone have any ideas?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Tenik posted:

A friend and I are looking for some ARPG games on PC with good online coop and a lot of character customization. We've played a lot of Borderlands 2 and Saints Row 3 and 4, and a ton of Final Fantasy XIV and Animal Crossing, and we're in the mood for something new. We'd like something that requires us to cooperate and spend most of our time together. SR3 was great at this by letting us drive each other around, and FFXIV is all about group content. Meanwhile SR4 and Borderlands 2 got old kinda quickly because they encouraged us to either split up or go off on our own for longish periods. We also love customizing our character's appearance and stats/skills. Anyone have any ideas?

If you have a group of 4, my buddies and I had a blast with the heists for GTAV, since they all have you working toward a common goal. Baldur's Gate 1/2: Enhanced Edition, Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, and Divinity: Original Sin also heavily encourage cooperation among players. We particularly liked the Baldur's Gate series because we got to watch our characters go from utter weaklings to demigods over the course of the two games.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a really good Turn Based Strategy game, that's like XCOM witht he long war mod installed, or like the exact opposite of Invisible Inc, where you use the same amount of planning and skill to bring poo poo crashing down around an enemies ears. I'm looking for destructable terrain, large vehicles, and poo poo climbing on other poo poo while snipers rain hell. So like, if an Action Movie was a TBS.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Fat Samurai posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

Dawn of War 2 does this very, very well.

Company of Heroes 1 & 2 less so with the persistence but both are great RTS that focus more on smaller numbers of troops that can be upgraded and micromanaged.

Company of Heroes 1 is probably one of the best RTS ever made, although again doesn't have the persistence of leveling up your troops between matches the way Dawn of War 2 does. COH2 is okay but not quite as well balanced.

Holy poo poo yes, Dawn of War is pretty good at this. I've loved CoH, it's probably my favorite RTS, but I never got around to playing the Dawn of War series until this weekend. It's currently on the Humble Bundle this week for like $7.

The campaign is mainly focused on hero units rather than creating armies or buildings. You level up, choose gear, and adjust abilities so it fits that criteria, but you don't really create new units or have too much customization beyond their loadout and deciding what heroes to bring in to battle. Still, it's got great RTS gameplay with a unique aspect of character to the units you're controlling.

Total War was also mentioned but it's decent at this as well. The newer ones (Shogun, Rome II, Attila) have generals that you can gain abilities with as you level them up through combat. Units in your army also level up but they just get stat increases, but that's still nice because it gives incentive to retaining troops.

Xenonauts is a fun game that's similar to XCOM, though it doesn't really fit the mold of managing a big army since you only really have a handful of troops at a time. It's a turn based strategy where you bring like 6-8 soldiers into a fight but have many more that you can manage in your bases. Soldiers die a lot so you need to recruit new ones and assign roles all the time but they gain stats after each battle so there's definitely a strong element of persistence there.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the tips on strategy with "troop personality". Having a blast with Dawn of War 2.

I also picked up Battle Brothers, which is basically turn-based Mount&Blade and fun enough even if it's Early Access, so if anyone was in my shoes, that's a good recommendation as well.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a really good Turn Based Strategy game, that's like XCOM witht he long war mod installed, or like the exact opposite of Invisible Inc, where you use the same amount of planning and skill to bring poo poo crashing down around an enemies ears. I'm looking for destructable terrain, large vehicles, and poo poo climbing on other poo poo while snipers rain hell. So like, if an Action Movie was a TBS.
Have you tried XCOM 2 yet? They removed the penalties from overkill so you're actively encouraged to use grenades and heavy weapons now. Acid and fire/explosive damage spreads, so you can destroy buildings right and left - With limited time windows on certain missions it's frequently useful to blow open new doors instead of using the "correct" ones, or you can use a mind-hacked andromedon to just burst on through like the kool-aid man. Many of the Long War concepts were ported over plus the maps are generated this time so you'll see alot more variety over XCOM1.

Snipers can be specced out for close range murderers or the normal angels of death if you'd like. Mixing up abilities can help since the free pistol shot ability for instance is frequently useful even on a long-ranger sharpshooter:
Faceoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GU56_54Xe8 or Killzone (overwatch until everything dies in a selectable cone) abilities can be very good.

Elemental mages and rangers in Divinity: Original Sin are also rad if you want to combine weather effects and murder the hell out of everything that moves with exploding poison gas fields, rivers of fire, and brutal electrical rainstorms.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Recommend me a game: you should probably just play divinity: original sin

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fat Samurai posted:

I also picked up Battle Brothers, which is basically turn-based Mount&Blade and fun enough even if it's Early Access, so if anyone was in my shoes, that's a good recommendation as well.
Seconding this, Battle Brothers is really cool. At the moment it doesn't yet have much of an end goal, but there's still plenty fun to be had just roaming around, doing contracts and getting murdered by goblins. Also the dev team are pretty hard-working, the game gets updated pretty frequently.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm gonna try this again, but different this time!

Are there any good (recent) games for aerobatic (stunt) flying? Preferably with an arcade mode that doesn't require expensive-rear end flight stick gear to play but I'm getting to the point where if I find something worthy I might just go ahead and buy something. All I've found on google so far has been Flight Unlimited 3 which is over a decade old :smith:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tenik posted:

Payday2 might tickle you guys' fancy. Playing barbie princess dressup with masks and guns is a major part, and it's very much "live together, die alone." The current skill system converges on a few definite archetypes, but is getting an overhaul soon.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Tenik posted:

Might stray a bit from the path but co-op Dying Light might be worth a look. Not a lot of character customization, but some.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

quadrophrenic posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Recommend me a game: you should probably just play divinity: original sin

That's a little unfair, unlike thread favourite Dark Souls.

And thinking of co-op games where you can stick together and customise your experience, totally dark souls. The co-op isn't the most robust thing in the world but it's functional.

Also, all the usual traditional ARPGs if you haven't tried them, like diablo 3 or grim dawn or path of exile. If you can stomach an MMO, most of them are basically built for loving with stats and dressing up, so pick your poison.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 27, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I've been dealing with bouts of depression lately and now I'm looking for a sort of "feel good" game,ideally on the easier side to minimize stress. Any suggestions?

E: PC preferred, no 3DS, Vita, PS4, Xbone, or Wii U unfortunately.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 27, 2016

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

ain't nothin more "feel good" than pettin your chickens, milking your cows and picking your crops than Stardew Valley, also you literally can not fail or get a game over screen

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If only Viva Pinata wasn't annoying on PC

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fill in the blank: If you liked Factorio, you'll love __________.

Played it to death and wanting more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Danger Mahoney posted:

Fill in the blank: If you liked Factorio, you'll love __________.

Played it to death and wanting more.

Spacechem and Infinifactory might be up your alley. They're puzzle games, so the goals are more fixed than in Factorio, however these being engineering games how you solve the levels is up to you. You design solutions instead of finding them. Spacechem is 2d and infinifactory is 3d, they're both on steam.