Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I was going to say something negative about the 7980XE's extreme price compared to the top end Threadripper but looking down the lineup, I can't see any of the Skylake-E chips as compelling except maybe the 8-core. The 6-core appears to be about to get killed by the 8700K and everything above the 8-core is just way too high of a price compared to the AMD alternative unless there's an overwhelming need for maximum single thread performance in addition to all the cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If Intel released an 7850X with 8C/16T and 44 PCIe lanes for $799, they'd be in much better shape. I'd be interested in that CPU.

eames
May 9, 2009

it's a tiny picture but here are all SL-X models with at their turbo boost frequencies at various core loads

there are some interesting patterns there, i.e. it seems like the 14C i9-7940X will be some sort of sweetspot due to it being HCC with many cores shut off, allowing for higher frequencies. :thunk:

eames fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 8, 2017

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Retarded question: shouldn't a 4C/8T i3 be better than a 6C i5 because of the extra threads?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Otakufag posted:

Retarded question: shouldn't a 4C/8T i3 be better than a 6C i5 because of the extra threads?

Physical threads are better than HT threads. I think you see about a 20-30% performance increase from hyperthreading which turns the 4c into roughly a 5.5c CPU. If the i5 is actually a 6c/6t product it will be really nice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The i5 should be a nice chip for a while. Particularly delidded at 5GHz or whatever it hits.

Shame it won't run on z170. It's not like implementations of z170 can't support way more power then this will draw stock.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do we know yet what the hell the z390 actually is compared to z370?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ufarn posted:

Do we know yet what the hell the z390 actually is compared to z370?

Right is z390, left is launch z370. So z390 adds integrated Wifi, USB 3.1 Gen 2, better audio DSP (will still be up to board partners to implement it well, though), and support for some new sleep states that I haven't heard much about.

370 will apparently launch in September, 390 will launch with the rest of the 300 series in Feb-March '18.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cygni posted:

Right is z390, left is launch z370. So z390 adds integrated Wifi, USB 3.1 Gen 2, better audio DSP (will still be up to board partners to implement it well, though), and support for some new sleep states that I haven't heard much about.

370 will apparently launch in September, 390 will launch with the rest of the 300 series in Feb-March '18.

But does it have a fundamentally different chipset w/r/t CPU support, or is there no downside to going 370 aside from losing some "Z+" mobo features?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ufarn posted:

But does it have a fundamentally different chipset w/r/t CPU support, or is there no downside to going 370 aside from losing some "Z+" mobo features?

No, they support the same processors as far as we know. 370 is just a re-purposed 270 (Kaby Lake PCH), essentially. 390 and the rest of the 300 series is the new Cannon Lake PCH.

Maybe in the future, Cannon Lake/Ice Lake will work in 390 and not 370, but that doesn't seem likely.

Also worth noting that nobody really knows if Z390 will really exist or not, theres been a lot of conflicting rumors and conflicting slides, such as:

Which seems to suggest 370 will continue on as the high end? Or maybe exist alongside 390, which doesnt make any sense?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Double post cause we are gonna find out all these details soon:

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-8th-gen-official-announcement-21-august-launch/

Launch will be August 21st. All 6 SKUs at launch have allegedly leaked: two 6/12 i7s, two 6/6 i5s, and two i3's one 4/8 and one 4/4. apparently they are both 4/4 THIS GRAPH IS NOW WRONG

e: oh also, sounds like the i3's will work in Z170/Z270. 8350 whaddup gurl

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 8, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

8350 whaddup gurl

It's me, I'm the unlocked processor that supports ECC.

(I guarantee Intel's gonna lock that down at the chipset, it will be either unlocked or support ECC depending on what board you put it on, not both)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this just confirms that they're not actually making a different pinout if the i3s will work on the older boards

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Intel calling upon alien demon technology gods with their solar eclipse press day

Boost clock of 4.7 GHz on the 8700K sounds a little too insane. That's higher than the 4.6 GHz at which I could keep my Ivy Bridge 4c/8t stable, and I delidded that thing later on, too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's me, I'm the unlocked processor that supports ECC.

(I guarantee Intel's gonna lock that down at the chipset, it will be either unlocked or support ECC depending on what board you put it on, not both)

The 7350k didn't support ECC, why would the 8350k?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

The 7350k didn't support ECC, why would the 8350k?

Regardless that's what the leaks show. Not sure that's a plus for their credibility but...

eames
May 9, 2009

huh wow, basically a lower clocked 7700K with ECC.

That 8700K with ECC would last me for many years but I guess we aren't quite there yet.
I'd replace my R7 1700 in a heartbeat to get rid of the strange, mostly virtualisation related first-gen bugs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The 8700K looks really good but holy poo poo I do NOT want to give Intel my money.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Intel calling upon alien demon technology gods with their solar eclipse press day

Boost clock of 4.7 GHz on the 8700K sounds a little too insane. That's higher than the 4.6 GHz at which I could keep my Ivy Bridge 4c/8t stable, and I delidded that thing later on, too.

Maybe they're soldering dies to ihs again? :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Max boost on one core perhaps and now chip wide?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kazinsal posted:

The 8700K looks really good but holy poo poo I do NOT want to give Intel my money.

Then don't and wait for the 1900X Threadripper.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

wargames posted:

Max boost on one core perhaps and not chip wide?

It's this. All-Core turbo is a much more reasonable 4.3Ghz. Still, it gives hope that with deliding and proper cooling, you could get up towards 5Ghz on at least most of the cores, if not all.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
This is all dual-channel, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

That's what multiple process improvements gets you

It's a die shrink and on a highly optimized process so you get 4.7 without de-lidding

I assume with de-lidding most could reach 5GHz

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Maybe they have improved the TIM?

Hahaha, no, just kidding.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Can't wait for the Reddit brown sea posts about how everyone should OC because it's free and easy with a non-delid +100MHz headroom! Because these chips look to be pushed way beyond the clock/thermals sweet spot out of the box.

If the non-Z boards can support over DDR4-2400, I won't even be remotely considering a Z-board.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 9, 2017

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

That's what multiple process improvements gets you

It's a die shrink and on a highly optimized process so you get 4.7 without de-lidding

I assume with de-lidding most could reach 5GHz

If the 4.7 is not already at the edge you can probably get 5 without deliding and a aio water cooler. Deliding with a custom loop may give you like 5.5 if you win the lottery.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Those regular i7s seem a bit less desirable now, compared to the i5.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cool, that 8350k or 8400 might be my next system. *waits another year to replace sandy bridge*

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like the mobile chips are commin' fairly quickly too. Coffee Lake-U in a laptop spotted in the wild

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i7-8550u-spotted-in-acer-nitro-notebook

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cygni posted:

Looks like the mobile chips are commin' fairly quickly too. Coffee Lake-U in a laptop spotted in the wild

Thank god because my Sandy Bridge laptop is really starting to feel too slow.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Potato Salad posted:

Cool, that 8350k or 8400 might be my next system. *waits another year to replace sandy bridge*

Depending on the pricing, the 8350K might actually be a better deal than the 8400 since 4 core HT is barely slower than 2 physical cores and the i3 has can be clocked way higher to compensate it anyway with the added bonus of better ST performance.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Hopefully this means I'll be able to buy a 13" MBP with a quad core and ddr 4 ram next year.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Lord Bude posted:

Hopefully this means I'll be able to buy a 13" MBP with a quad core and ddr 4 ram next year.

Apple will tell you that ddr4 uses too much power like they did with the macbook pros

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

The only reason why I got for the 15" is because of the quadcore chip. The discrete card in the 15"s aren't even that great.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Cygni posted:

... really? Wooo-weee! An extra 4g stick! Cause i don't even know if there are even 2gb sticks around for ddr4

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rabid Snake posted:

The only reason why I got for the 15" is because of the quadcore chip. The discrete card in the 15"s aren't even that great.

And I've never owned a MacBook Pro before but I hear they tend to hit a thermal limit so needing to cool a dGPU probably doesn't help CPU performance.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can a 1080ti saturate 8x PCIe 3.0? Is it possible top end Volta will?

I thought I remember reading indications that a 1080ti could but it also could have just been someone that tested it wrong/shittily.

I ask because I am an idiot that likes to flush money down the toilet and am concerned about losing 5% of the already lovely SLI scaling on my next build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

Can a 1080ti saturate 8x PCIe 3.0? Is it possible top end Volta will?

I thought I remember reading indications that a 1080ti could but it also could have just been someone that tested it wrong/shittily.

I ask because I am an idiot that likes to flush money down the toilet and am concerned about losing 5% of the already lovely SLI scaling on my next build.

Puget tested PCIe scaling with the Titan X Pascal, which is basically the same as the 1080ti. Dropping from 16x to 8x does make a difference but it's very small in most cases.