Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Not English, bad accents just bug the poo poo out of me.
Notable Offenders:
Enemy At The Gates, where no one other than Bob Hoskins even attempts either a russian or german accent
Richard Gere in The Jackal
Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own " I need the mooooonie Toom!"
Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away
The Peter Sellers movie wher he plays an Indian Guy

How about some good accents? As judged by goons from the appropriate countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Mister Kingdom posted:

The guy from House, the guy from Mentalist, the guy from The Walking Dead

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I already knew Christian Bale is from the UK but people are always surprised when I tell them he's not American or they hear his normal speaking voice so I guess that means he does a good job?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

BiggerBoat posted:

I dislike fun things too.

Have you read superhero comics? They're really absurdly bad and dumb; people will say Transformers or Avengers or something is "a dumb movie," but the movies at least are coherent-- like there is a clear sense of cause and effect, there are character arcs, things are identifiably resolved in some way by the end, you don't need to know four decades' worth of insane bullshit to understand the context for weird characters dropping in and out of the story without explanation, etc. THIS ISN'T TRUE OF SUPER GUY COMICS. Try reading that stuff as an adult it's seriously crazy.

The cryptic mentions of spiderman storylines in this discussion are relevant because there is an entire forum of this web site, made up mainly of threads where people gather around the ol campfire every month to be like "spiderman still sucks" "yo i heard spider man is lovely again" "yup" "how's x-men? lovely again?" and develop these convoluted inside jokes and forum-sweeping avatar phenomena about the latest round of superhero comics being, once again, not that good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Super heroes that live in the same universe" comics/movies having to constantly justify their existence even with throwaway lines is pretty funny to me. Comic book nerds are the very first people to say "hold on, that doesn't make sense" in a world where people can fly and shoot lasers from their eyes and smash buildings with their faces or whatever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Idris Elba as Stringer Bell in The Wire does an excellent Baltimore accent, I'm always surprised when I hear his genuine London accent. Andrew Lincoln also has a pretty great American one from the little I've seen of the walking dead. I have never heard a good Irish accent by a non-native though.

Brad Dourif (Grima Wormtongue) has an American accent too but a few of his costars apparently thought he was English based on his role.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Conversely, Sean Bean speaking in an American voice can be anywhere between passable and goddamn hilarious (Silent Hill and Revelation 3D).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Emma Watson's American accent in The Perks of Being a Wallflower bugged the poo poo out of me.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I just complimented the extended edition of Watchmen but I have to say they hosed up the psychiatrist who interviews Rorschach. The whole pleasant-to-shocked-to-depressed demeanor is absent entirely.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
If the small bit you can see in the latest preview of Horn is any indication, Daniel Radcliffe's american accent is pretty good.

Manos99
Mar 17, 2009
Brendan Gleeson does a fine job with his Newfie accent in The Grand Seduction. I mean, he's Irish, so it's a small jump. But anyone who saw The Shipping News knows it's a tough one to pull off.

I'm surprised to hear so many people complimenting Andrew Lincoln's accent in The Walking Dead. It's pretty rough. And Charlie Hunnam's terrible American accent in Pacific Rim was really distracting.

Karl Urban does a good American accent, though you can hear it break a little in Dredd ("Americur is an irradiated wasteland.")

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anthony Hopkins' New Zealand accent in World's Fastest Indian was actually pretty spot-on. Which is loving rare as all get-out in cinema. Y'all think motherfuckers can't do convincing American? Try actually knowing what Australian and New Zealand accents sound like and then hearing "Australian" characters that sound like they're from Dickensian England or New Zealander characters that sound like an Australian loving a chicken.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Celery Face posted:

Sean Connery being cast as an Irishman in The Untouchables.

The Hunt for Red October.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Aggressive pricing posted:

The Hunt for Red October.

You've never heard of Communisht Shcotland?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gently caress movies that don't use the actual language when portraying foreign people or countries. We're in the goddamn 21st century and I just don't understand why they gently caress it up so often. Is it an attempt at humor or something? Are they really too stupid/lazy? 90% of the time something that's supposed to be Dutch is either German or gibberish.

I mean, a little while back I saw this Southpark episode where they parodied Santa by replacing him with Slash (the guitar guy) and making it a Dutch tradition/folktale and while they got the melody of 'Sinterklaas Kapoentje' (the most used children's song for Sinterklaas) down perfectly the words were gibberish, and that was fine, because it's supposed to be silly and nonsensical and it's South Park so whatever, but I see it in more serious tv shows and movies too.
Either it's gibberish, or it's German, and it's just so goddamn stupid. Even relatively big budget productions are guilt of this (gently caress you Austin Powers.)

Do they do this with other countries/languages too? I don't mean accents, but I mean having like a supposedly Italian character and having them speak Greek or whatever. I don't get why in the 21st century it's seemingly impossible to do a quick google search to see what a language is like, instead of just defaulting to throwing a dart at a map in the general vicinity and going "meh, close enough."

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Does Michael Peña ever not look dopey? I saw him years ago in Shooter and he looked bewildered for most of it. He has now popped up in a trailer for Fury and has the same gormless expression.

There's now no chance I'll see that film because he'll just look dumb throughout. He must have gone to the Jon Snow School of Facial Expressions.

Celery Face posted:

The Boston accents in Thirteen Days are usually pretty terrible but good god, Kevin Costner's was horrible.
I saw this on a school trip to the cinema for history class and we were saying "Ree-port cawrd" for months afterwards.

Slim Killington posted:

Not as I read it. Unless you misunderstand me and think I'm saying Nolan is good at "show, don't tell." I'm saying he's incapable of it.
The worst example of this is in TDKR.

*Nuclear flash followed by mushroom cloud filling the screen*
Cut to military command centre
"That's detonation."

OppyDoppyDopp has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Aug 20, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Accents are an absolute curse on actors. It must be like the number one thing people pick fault with - I'm sure I read an interview once where Michael Caine was bitching about the response to his accent in The Cider House Rules, saying it was actually a really good regional accent but people assumed he was just doing a New York accent really badly or something.

This is more of a dialect thing but watching The Blacklist recently, they had an episode with a geordie villain. His accent was alright but at one point he called someone "love" rather than "pet" which bugged the living poo poo out of me.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Enemy At The Gates, where no one other than Bob Hoskins even attempts either a russian or german accent
Did Hoskins do an accent in that? I thought he just ran around being all cockney as gently caress. I do remember he only ever referred to Stalin as "The Boss" which made me think he was working for Bruce Springsteen.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Taeke posted:

Do they do this with other countries/languages too?
"Chinese" is frequently at least two, sometimes more, languages, usually Mandarin and Cantonese, which are mutually unintelligible, because white people still think "Chinese" is a language and not a language family.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TetsuoTW posted:

"Chinese" is frequently at least two, sometimes more, languages, usually Mandarin and Cantonese, which are mutually unintelligible, because white people still think "Chinese" is a language and not a language family.

I'd wager most people, white or not, think that a language someone speaks is named after the country it comes from (I've been asked while travelling if I speak American), unless they know specifically about that country and its dialect. Like, the Scots language for example is made up of a variety of dialects. Or various languages in the Middle East in different countries. Heck, I've heard the same comparison made between Quebecois French and Parisian French too, though I'll be darned if I know the difference.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Aug 20, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There's two languages, English and not-English and thats the way i like it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

There's two languages, English and not-English and thats the way i like it.

You like that there's non-english? :raise:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am not unmerciful.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Novum posted:

the guy from Mentalist
I don't know the character's backstory but I can't figure his accent out at all. It sounds really awkward and unnatural to me, I can't place it as anything real.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Celery Face posted:

Bad accents:

Jon Voight in Anaconda and Pacino in Scarface.

swamp waste posted:

Have you read superhero comics? They're really absurdly bad and dumb;

Sure I do. Not as much as I used to. A lot of them are bad and a lot of them aren't. This guy said it better than I can.

CJacobs posted:

Comic book nerds are the very first people to say "hold on, that doesn't make sense" in a world where people can fly and shoot lasers from their eyes and smash buildings with their faces or whatever.

Sometimes the shared universe seems hokey and forced. Dumb even. Other times it works fine (Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Daredevil, for instance). I've never been a big fan of the Superman/Batman team ups but the shared universe of Ultimate Spiderman came off pretty well I thought. At least for a while. Avengers does a pretty good job with it as well. When I was a kid, I loved the 'Thing vs. Hulk' crossovers.

I think it depends on who's sharing time with whom. Like Daredevil shouldn't go into outer space and fight Galactus any more than the Fantastic Four should hunt down the Kingpin and rough up Turk and Grotto in Rosie's Bar.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The reason that Marvel become back was due to the shared universe concept. That there would be panels in Spider-man that had Thor flying by. At Marvel there were crossovers almost from the beginning. You also had the little boxes saying this happened in issue _ of ___. It was completely different than DC.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

This one made me laugh.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I posted before about 'Limitless', but the new film 'Lucy' has brought it back up. The "people only use ten percent of their brain, what if someone could use it all?" plot maddens me beyond belief. Every time a writer puts it forward they should be lobotomised with their own frozen poo poo. Sometimes I think humanity never should have left the oceans.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Taeke posted:

gently caress movies that don't use the actual language when portraying foreign people or countries. We're in the goddamn 21st century and I just don't understand why they gently caress it up so often. Is it an attempt at humor or something? Are they really too stupid/lazy? 90% of the time something that's supposed to be Dutch is either German or gibberish.
This is probably the only reason I like Inglorious Basterds. German people speak German amongst themselves, the French speak French, and Bradd Pitt's "Gor-lah-mee" cracked me the gently caress up. Also Cristoph Waltz's casting was inspired. :allears:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

kinmik posted:

This is probably the only reason I like Inglorious Basterds. German people speak German amongst themselves, the French speak French, and Bradd Pitt's "Gor-lah-mee" cracked me the gently caress up. Also Cristoph Waltz's casting was inspired. :allears:

It's sad that something like that, which honestly should be standard practice, surprises me and speaks hugely in a movie's favor.
Really, if you need an actor that speaks a certain language, get one that actually does. I'm sure there's plenty of great actors that speak whatever language to choose from, especially if it's for minor roles or background characters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I posted before about 'Limitless', but the new film 'Lucy' has brought it back up. The "people only use ten percent of their brain, what if someone could use it all?" plot maddens me beyond belief. Every time a writer puts it forward they should be lobotomised with their own frozen poo poo. Sometimes I think humanity never should have left the oceans.

Man, speaking of that movie, the main character claims to have a 4-digit IQ. So, like, 60 standard deviations off the norm.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Man, speaking of that movie, the main character claims to have a 4-digit IQ. So, like, 60 standard deviations off the norm.

Should we make it a 5-digit IQ?

No, we have to save some ideas for the sequel!

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

Taeke posted:

It's sad that something like that, which honestly should be standard practice, surprises me and speaks hugely in a movie's favor.
Really, if you need an actor that speaks a certain language, get one that actually does. I'm sure there's plenty of great actors that speak whatever language to choose from, especially if it's for minor roles or background characters.

I think The Monuments Men did this really well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lucy is such a goddamn stupid movie with a goddamn stupider premise.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I don't know the character's backstory but I can't figure his accent out at all. It sounds really awkward and unnatural to me, I can't place it as anything real.
That accent is very, very much an Australian who thinks he's doing an amazing American accent. Which one, he couldn't say, but definitely American.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Language chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6_PtNRYhy0

The German nihilists in The Big Lebowski are played by Peter Stormare, Flea and Torsten Voges. Voges is German and Stormare, a Swede, speaks passable German but you can still hear the difference in accents. There's probably a reason they have Voges do most of the talking in German in that scene and Flea none at all. If only they'd had that good sense with Aimee Mann, who renders her one line unintelligible.

Jim Jarmusch loves to include foreign languages spoken by native speakers. There's hardly any movie of his that doesn't feature it in some capacity, but standouts are Night On Earth, which takes place in five cities across the globe with local actors speaking the local language throughout (plus a German cab driver in New York, played by Armin Müller-Stahl) and Dead Man, which features untranslated dialogue in Cree and Blackfoot languages.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

TetsuoTW posted:

That accent is very, very much an Australian who thinks he's doing an amazing American accent. Which one, he couldn't say, but definitely American.

So, a Charlie Hunnam accent or the guy from "The Glades." I got bored and binge watched that show on Netflix, having never seen it before, and I just got sick of that accent. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, per se, but it just didn't sound right. Your description fits perfectly.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Not a film but BBC (now Amazon) TV series Ripper Street had a story line with some Chinese underground thing in Victorian London. My fiend speaks Cantonese and told me that some Chinese actress they had was the worst loving actress she's seen in along time, delivering her lines in a wooden, awkward manner like she's reading off auto cue, but to English ears she just sounds like she's speaking Chinese and they can't pick up on the horrible delivery.

It made me think of all the trashy Japanese and Korean TV shows I watch where there is the 'foreign bad guy' giving the hero a hard time and the American actors they use sound like mumbling idiots who can barely act. I guess all that matters is it sounds foreign.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

It made me think of all the trashy Japanese and Korean TV shows I watch where there is the 'foreign bad guy' giving the hero a hard time and the American actors they use sound like mumbling idiots who can barely act. I guess all that matters is it sounds foreign.
Literally the only thing that matters there is that it's a white face. They don't even have to know English.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Pacino in Scarface.
I didn't even know he was trying to put on a Cuban accent until someone told me.

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

I saw this on a school trip to the cinema for history class and we were saying "Ree-port cawrd" for months afterwards.
:hfive: So were we.

I know The Untouchables is a pretty silly movie but that part where Sean Connery's character takes an entire machine gun round to the chest and is able to drag himself through his apartment, write a note and stay there long enough for his buddy to drive over had my class laughing so hard. It was like he was superhuman. Then there was also the scene were a bunch of guns are fired off inches from a baby carriage and somehow the baby's eardrums are okay. Or when Kevin Costner's character gets away with shoving an unarmed man off a building in broad daylight.

Taking that class really made me understand why Kevin Costner's career died. I can't put my finger on why but he's kind of insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

So, a Charlie Hunnam accent

He wishes.

quote:

I got bored and binge watched that show on Netflix, having never seen it before, and I just got sick of that accent. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, per se, but it just didn't sound right. Your description fits perfectly.
The guy also does commercials for a bank, I forget which, but the first time I saw one I immediately thought "gently caress off, you're not fooling anyone mate." He makes Sam Worthington sound convincing.