Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Is the draft being televised/streamed today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

Streamed on NHL.com and on the NHL Network.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

tofes posted:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=626027

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
he's loving 18 years old. he could have 35 consecutive shutouts and have a 5% chance of actually making the nhl

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Verviticus posted:

thats seriously the best they could do? what the gently caress is wrong with this dude? he was supposed to be GOOD at drafting

I also recall people saying that he was incredibly good at trading based on a few he made with the Bruins, but well...

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
why are we taking defensemen

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

he's loving 18 years old. he could have 35 consecutive shutouts and have a 5% chance of actually making the nhl

He's a long term pick, he'll probably play 4 years in college and then a few years in the AHL. Don't write him off yet.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Streamed on NHL.com and on the NHL Network.

Thanks!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
in 5 years we're gonna be talking about the blues and how they drafted their entire franchise in one draft

ThinkTank posted:

He's a long term pick, he'll probably play 4 years in college and then a few years in the AHL. Don't write him off yet.

he's

A: goaltender
B: drafted

a + b = bad

they're bad assets. they have low, or no value. they're risky. its horrible to draft goaltenders with useful assets, like almost-first-round-picks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

in 5 years we're gonna be talking about the blues and how they drafted their entire franchise in one draft

I like the Fabbri and Barbashev picks as well, but I have no real problems with any of these picks. I'm not really happy with the direction the team has taken the last couple years and I'd have preferred Ehlers (or Fabbri but that was never going to happen) and Barbashev as well, but it's not like we're taking 6'4" 235lbs defencemen with 4 points in 55 games.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
take one of the finnish goalies i guess rangers. or aube-kubel if he's around. i have no idea about anyone else on the board. mckeown is still around right?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

virtanen probably could have been had at 14 if they traded down and barbashev is literally just mccann that scored his stuff in 20 less games

yeah, we didnt pick hunter smith and ryan mackinnis, but we also didn't do good things with the picks. a goaltender with 36 is similarly asinine. should have picked a defenceman if they wanted to live on the edge

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Verviticus posted:

he's

a + b = bad

they're bad assets. they have low, or no value. they're risky. its horrible to draft goaltenders with useful assets, like almost-first-round-picks

Benning has been poo poo with trades yesterday and his first pick was bad, but recoiling against picking a really good goaltending prospect when pretty much all of the best young goalies are taken in the top three rounds is silly. Goaltenders are a gamble but you need to pick up some through the draft and Demko is a fine choice

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
LOL, Brendan Lemieux is obviously pissed about going in the 2nd round. Hope he plays like his Dad. (Mostly)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

whatis posted:

Benning has been poo poo with trades yesterday and his first pick was bad, but recoiling against picking a really good goaltending prospect when pretty much all of the best young goalies are taken in the top three rounds is silly. Goaltenders are a gamble but you need to pick up some through the draft and Demko is a fine choice

picking a goalie in the draft is a great way to piss away assets. dont pick goalies

dont pick a defenceman in the first

dont pick goalies

done and done

id be just as annoyed about picking a goalie 36th overall if it was gillis or god its a waste of a draft pick

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
He's totally firey.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Verviticus posted:

picking a goalie in the draft is a great way to piss away assets. dont pick goalies

dont pick a defenceman in the first

dont pick goalies

done and done

id be just as annoyed about picking a goalie 36th overall if it was gillis or god its a waste of a draft pick

This opposite of this is pretty much Dean Lombardi's playbook and it has worked out pretty well for the Kings. (Save for Chris Gibson and Colton Teubert)

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

:siren: Sharks make a trade :siren:

They move up from 51 to 46

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its the playbook of any sane gm that isnt presented with irritating options like doughty or ekblad in the top 5, or some ridiculous faller. you cant project an 18 year old that plays goal

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

he's

a + b = bad

This is a serious misconception that somehow drafting goaltenders is voodoo. Of the 20 goaltenders to play 50 or more games this year, 8 were first round picks, 3 were second round picks, 3 were third round picks, 4 were drafted in the 4th round and beyond and 3 were signed as free agents.

Clearly it's nowhere near as precise as the forwards where 16 of the top 20 were first round picks, but it's hardly witchcraft.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Considering Kesler apparently only had 2 teams he'd waive his NTC to and the possibility of Luongo situation 2.0 I'm really not sure why we're so mad at Benning. Also Vancouver's picks haven't been bad at all based on where the players were ranked so I don`t know. I mean just 2 years ago we were drafting Alexandre Mallet in the second round, big overagers in every other round, and turning Luongo into basically a cap dump.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Clearly it's nowhere near as precise as the forwards where 16 of the top 20 were first round picks, but it's hardly witchcraft.

this is more than enough info to Never Draft Goalies. when the optimal thing to do is to draft a forward, a goalie is bad

Wippersnapper posted:

I mean just 2 years ago we were drafting Alexandre Mallet in the second round, big overagers in every other round, and turning Luongo into basically a cap dump.

alex mallet is literally a more likely proposition than a goaltender and it was still a lovely pick

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers don't pick again until the fifth?

Booooo Homer boooo

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

HOLY poo poo LA just traded Linden Vey to Vancouver?!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oi vey!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
well there goes everyone i knew

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

And yeah, not playing smartest guy in the room and take a 20 year old in the 2nd round is a-okay with me. Draft rankings are far from perfect, but sticking to them probably isn't the worst idea. I want high scoring forwards too, but this could be far worse.

Ooh I like that trade. Linden Vey for 50th overall.

e: He's two years older than I thought. Hmm...

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

This is honestly shocking. Linden Vey figured into next season's plans on the 4th line and is definitely ready to go - but since the Kings didn't buy out Mike Richards I guess there really isn't room for him.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

DOOP posted:

Flyers don't pick again until the fifth?

Booooo Homer boooo

Wow. That is poopy. :sigh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's the pick they got from Tampa, right?

So Jason Garrison for some nobody prospect and Linden Vey. Kay.

I can see why the Kings did this, don't they have like practically no freakin' picks the next few years?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Wippersnapper posted:

I'm really not sure why we're so mad at Benning.

well he just traded a real asset for a 4th liner named after trevor linden

this org. is a cartoon

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I'm trying to figure out which is the more Canadian name: Roland McKeown or Zapp Rowsdower?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

This is honestly shocking. Linden Vey figured into next season's plans on the 4th line and is definitely ready to go.

He has a higher chance of playing in the NHL than the 50th overall pick. He's not waiver exempt so he'll need to be a full time roster player. Is he good enough to be a scorer or are we looking at a pure 4th liner here?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

VJeff posted:

I can see why the Kings did this, don't they have like practically no freakin' picks the next few years?
Um, no. I think they have their full slate, minus may be a few late picks.

I don't know why LA just picked a puck-moving dman. Doughty, Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin...

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

jason garrison got run out of town for trevor linden's long lost son

and we paid a 7th for the honour of doing so

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
please someone who doesn't suck rangers

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

He has a higher chance of playing in the NHL than the 50th overall pick. He's not waiver exempt so he'll need to be a full time roster player. Is he good enough to be a scorer or are we looking at a pure 4th liner here?

Oh, he'll be better than a 4th liner on Vancouver - he was the top line center with Pearson and Toffoli in Manchester. I just meant that was his place on the Kings with their center depth. I'm a big fan of Vey.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you think vey was going to take the 4th line spot over weal?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Niemi to LA.

Alex Lintuniemi.

Verviticus posted:

you think vey was going to take the 4th line spot over weal?

Jordan Weal hasn't even gotten a sniff at the pro club yet. He's not quite ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
a goalie i haven't even heard of. whatever.

although when i heard the pick called in the background of these idiots talking i thought they said keegan iverson so at least it wasn't that

• Locked thread