Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

spasticColon posted:

For some reason I want to try playing an MMORPG again but I tried the WoW demo several years ago and didn't like it so is there an MMO out there I might want to try?

Try WoW again, they've torn the whole thing apart and rebuilt it from the ground up 3-4 times and it's still pretty much the King MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The best MMOs currently are Star Wars: The Old Republic, Elder Scrolls Online, and Final Fantasy 14. Pick which of those settings appeals to you the most.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the secret world was fun when i played it and diverges from the standard mmo model in some neat ways

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

HMS Boromir posted:

If you don't mind the unimpressive graphics you could go back and play Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague, they're what the Amnesia devs made before Amnesia.

Already played the majority of suggestions, so I'll check these out. Thanks.

spasticColon posted:

For some reason I want to try playing an MMORPG again but I tried the WoW demo several years ago and didn't like it so is there an MMO out there I might want to try?

Tera for your fun gameplay and dogshit anime design. Final Fantasy 14 for that but good design. SWTOR for generic wow-esque gameplay but a pretty heavy focus on story for an mmo. The Secret World for some pretty interesting mechanics that you don't really see anywhere else, and an alright story I guess. Also heard that Guild Wars 2 is neat but I haven't played that one. Firefall for some really fun jetpacking action that gives way to an annoying grind. Some of the best instances I've ever played though.

Of them, FF14 is subscription based but has a like a month-long trial period, and Secret World requires purchase but that's it. The rest are free to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Play WoW if you just want a poo poo ton of things to do, or want to get into raiding. They have the best raid design. You have to buy it and pay monthly though.

FFXIV has the prettiest graphics and the best story and pretty decent mechanics and a nice huge world. You have to buy it and pay monthly though.

SWTOR has a decent story and some fun features you can't get in other MMOs like group dialogue conversations. You don't have to pay monthly but those who do are given a gigantic advantage. Not as good or as deep as WoW or FFXIV but its starwars! And Bioware style. Basically a KOTOR MMO.

The Secret World has a very unique setting (lovecraft-esque modern day) and some really cool mystery and problem solving, but the combat is kinda lame compared to others. You buy it but no monthly fees!

Guild Wars 2 is basically a worse version of WoW but comes very close and has no monthly fees.

Elder scrolls online is garbage.

Pick which of those looks appealing to you based on the setting, gameplay and costs involved.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zaphod42 posted:

Guild Wars 2 is basically a worse version of WoW but comes very close and has no monthly fees.

I don't really see how you came to this conclusion at all

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I was going through my old game collection the other day and found Call of Duty 2, aka that game that had D-Day as part of the American campaign. It was the first mission I played (a buddy of mine owned it before I did and he told me I had to try it), and I remember it absolutely blowing my mind at the time.

What are some good games that throw you into the poo poo immediately with a big, impressive set piece mission? No genre is off limits. I've played most of the big AAA games in the world, but I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting that would be fun to revisit.

The original Bioshock is sort of a good example. The first 30 minutes feel impressive and evoke the whole "what the gently caress have I gotten into" feeling even though the gameplay is extremely tutorial-y.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Both Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider are great at staging huge dramatic platforming set pieces that throw you into the action right away and keep the plot moving forward. Lots of high tension death-defying leaps and swinging from crumbling ancient infrastructure. You're never more than 20 minutes from the next big action sequence.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

I've been looking at this game but can't justify the massive time sink and social contract MMOs seem to require.

Is there anything like it recently released for PC with some fun RPG gameplay? Preferably not turn-based. If I could find FFXII for PC it would be amazing.

mune fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 13, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

kedo posted:

I was going through my old game collection the other day and found Call of Duty 2, aka that game that had D-Day as part of the American campaign. It was the first mission I played (a buddy of mine owned it before I did and he told me I had to try it), and I remember it absolutely blowing my mind at the time.

What are some good games that throw you into the poo poo immediately with a big, impressive set piece mission? No genre is off limits. I've played most of the big AAA games in the world, but I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting that would be fun to revisit.

The original Bioshock is sort of a good example. The first 30 minutes feel impressive and evoke the whole "what the gently caress have I gotten into" feeling even though the gameplay is extremely tutorial-y.
Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Saints Row 3 has the most ridiculously fun and amazing intro mission I've ever played in a video game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The above 2 posts are exactly what I was going to say. Play those.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I post this request every couple years because I'm so out of touch. I'm looking for an RPG or action game that has a world or base-building component. Neat buildings with upgrades, finding cool NPCs to populate your town/fort/castle, etc. Decent story a plus. Examples from the (distant) past:

Actraiser
Dark Cloud I&II
Thomas chapter in Suikoden III
Majesty

Anything out nowadays like that?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Macaroni posted:

I post this request every couple years because I'm so out of touch. I'm looking for an RPG or action game that has a world or base-building component. Neat buildings with upgrades, finding cool NPCs to populate your town/fort/castle, etc. Decent story a plus. Examples from the (distant) past:

Actraiser
Dark Cloud I&II
Majesty

Pillars of Eternity.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is sorta like Fable combat

Perhaps, but it's the most boring RPG I've ever played. The first couple of hours are nice, but then you realize it was literally designed to be a MMORPG and you're the only player. And the :words: plot is horrible.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

The Macaroni posted:

Actraiser
Dark Cloud I&II
Majesty

Fallout 4 comes pretty close.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Wow. ;)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

pigdog posted:

Perhaps, but it's the most boring RPG I've ever played. The first couple of hours are nice, but then you realize it was literally designed to be a MMORPG and you're the only player. And the :words: plot is horrible.

Literally everyone gets this wrong. The game we got started as an unrelated RPG that they bought up, then retooled to act as some kind of lead-in to the actual MMO, which obviously never happened.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 13, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
He's saying it felt like an MMO, which it did. Literally.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Macaroni posted:

Actraiser
Dark Cloud I&II
Majesty

Exit Fate is pretty great, and takes heavy inspiration from Suikoden, including 75 recruitable NPCs and a castle that grows over the course of the game. Excellent story, but not much base-building (it's pretty much all story-mission unlocks iirc)
http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Saints Row 3 has the most ridiculously fun and amazing intro mission I've ever played in a video game.

Both are games I own but haven't played in awhile and didn't really invest enough time into in the first place. Thanks!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've been craving good SRPGs for a little while now. The two I've been playing lately are Disgaea DS and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I really like Disgaea's potential for powergaming, but so far the plot has been underwhelming. On the other hand, Trails in the Sky is charming and I'm keenly interested in the plot, but the combat is fairly simple, and there don't seem to be opportunities to grind and get super powerful. I'm not super far into either one, so the lacking aspects might pick up, but what would you recommend that has a good balance there? I have Final Fantasy Tactics for Android, but for some reason I keep bouncing off of it.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

apokaladle posted:

I've been craving good SRPGs for a little while now. The two I've been playing lately are Disgaea DS and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I really like Disgaea's potential for powergaming, but so far the plot has been underwhelming. On the other hand, Trails in the Sky is charming and I'm keenly interested in the plot, but the combat is fairly simple, and there don't seem to be opportunities to grind and get super powerful. I'm not super far into either one, so the lacking aspects might pick up, but what would you recommend that has a good balance there? I have Final Fantasy Tactics for Android, but for some reason I keep bouncing off of it.

If you have a PS2, the Front Mission games are worth looking into, as they go pretty in depth with mech customization but don't punish you with permadeath.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Probottt posted:

If you have a PS2, the Front Mission games are worth looking into, as they go pretty in depth with mech customization but don't punish you with permadeath.

I should have mentioned that my platforms are DS, PSP, and PC. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

apokaladle posted:

I should have mentioned that my platforms are DS, PSP, and PC. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Use an emulator, its worth it for Front Mission, especially 3 and 5.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

apokaladle posted:

There's Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. Both are great games, but there are no random encounters so you can't grind or anything.

Maybe the newer Fire Emblems on 3DS?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 16, 2016

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Just bought jets n guns and remember playing it years ago and having a blast. I love shmups but am pretty bad(no bullet hell for me!). I need a relaxed game full of upgrades like jets n guns. Google seems to think there is nothing. So I ask here! What could I play that's like that? I guess it could be some other type of games. I remember liking some flash game turbo tank or something? A tank that could jump. Simple fun crazy.

Does not need to be free.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Iznogood posted:

Just bought jets n guns and remember playing it years ago and having a blast. I love shmups but am pretty bad(no bullet hell for me!). I need a relaxed game full of upgrades like jets n guns. Google seems to think there is nothing. So I ask here! What could I play that's like that? I guess it could be some other type of games. I remember liking some flash game turbo tank or something? A tank that could jump. Simple fun crazy.

Tyrian 2000 is the first thing that springs to mind.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone point me to some effort posts about Solaris, Polaris, and Distant World's Universe? I'm trying to figure out which one to buy and play for a bit.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I actually created a whole comprehensive guide just for this purpose a couple years back. If you like free stuff, you'll love this:

http://imgur.com/a/c7PQi

Legend:
- Globe icon: Playable on web
- Arrow-box icon: Downloadable
- Gold star: Highly recommended title
- Lower-left icons: Number of players

(Some of the links on there might've gone bad by this point, so shoot me a PM if you find a broken one!)

HighwireAct fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 16, 2016

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Is any of the farming simulators actually any good? I find games like Spintires or Viscera Cleanup Detail, where you operate heavy machinery or clean and fix stuff kinda relaxing and good to listen to podcasts to. Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 was cool for a while, but after I repaired every car in the game there's not much else to do. There's a few of these farming games with slightly different names, so it would be great if someone told me which is the best one and how much is there to do.

I'd also appreciate recommendations for any other games that might meet those criteria:
- you operate and/or build some kind of machinery or tools to fulfill your goals (e.g. actually controlling the crane in Spintires to load timber onto your truck, and not just pressing a key to do it automatically)
- realistic or at least somewhat grounded esthetic (i.e. not something like Minecraft, or something cartoony, etc.)
- taking stuff apart, fixing things or something to this effect (e.g. Car Mechanic Simulator or World of Guns)
- no or very lax time constraints and pressure
- lots of different tasks
- some sort of goal and direction would be nice, I'm kinda bad at making my own

I'm keeping an eye on Euro Truck Simulator already, so no need to recommend it. Factorio is cool and good, but in this case I'm looking for something smaller scale and less focused on planning and production chains. I have Space Engineers, but it crashes often due to lack of memory, might need to wait for a new HDD to arrive. Survival games are fine, I guess, as long as combat isn't the main focus and the crafting isn't primarily tied to combat gear progression (i.e. you can craft things that do something interesting, not only shootyshooters and shoulder pads).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone point me to some effort posts about Solaris, Polaris, and Distant World's Universe? I'm trying to figure out which one to buy and play for a bit.

Just play Stellaris. The other two are over-complex and mostly crap. Distant Worlds has the saving grace of being able to automate everything, but its still fairly generic.

grate deceiver posted:

Is any of the farming simulators actually any good? I find games like Spintires or Viscera Cleanup Detail, where you operate heavy machinery or clean and fix stuff kinda relaxing and good to listen to podcasts to. Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 was cool for a while, but after I repaired every car in the game there's not much else to do. There's a few of these farming games with slightly different names, so it would be great if someone told me which is the best one and how much is there to do.

Go play Stardew Valley. Its a farming game and its great. Its a tad colourful which may be a deal breaker for you, but it's really really good.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Just play Stellaris.

Seconding this. It's got some weird balance issues you have to figure out early on, but Stellaris is pretty awesome if you're looking to run a sprawling space empire. I specifically like that there are several options which allow you to completely bypass some of the spergier and more complex bits of the game if you favor empire management over micromanagement.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Pro tip for playing Stellaris that took me 2hrs to figure out: Just do everything from the big galaxy map screen.

As much as you can anyway, which is 90% of things you need to do.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

Tyrian 2000 is the first thing that springs to mind.

Right. I remember that game. I was kinda wishing for a more modern game. At least I am having a blast in jets n guns. Hard to believe no one has ever tried to do something like that again.

Hey thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

grate deceiver posted:

I'd also appreciate recommendations for any other games that might meet those criteria:
- you operate and/or build some kind of machinery or tools to fulfill your goals (e.g. actually controlling the crane in Spintires to load timber onto your truck, and not just pressing a key to do it automatically)
- realistic or at least somewhat grounded esthetic (i.e. not something like Minecraft, or something cartoony, etc.)
- taking stuff apart, fixing things or something to this effect (e.g. Car Mechanic Simulator or World of Guns)
- no or very lax time constraints and pressure
- lots of different tasks
- some sort of goal and direction would be nice, I'm kinda bad at making my own

I'm keeping an eye on Euro Truck Simulator already, so no need to recommend it. Factorio is cool and good, but in this case I'm looking for something smaller scale and less focused on planning and production chains. I have Space Engineers, but it crashes often due to lack of memory, might need to wait for a new HDD to arrive. Survival games are fine, I guess, as long as combat isn't the main focus and the crafting isn't primarily tied to combat gear progression (i.e. you can craft things that do something interesting, not only shootyshooters and shoulder pads).

Farm Simulator 2015 would be a good one to try if you've tried Spintires and Car Mechanic Sim and liked em as good chill games. It's not terribly deep out of the box but can be modded to add a lot of extra equipment, livestock, maps, crops, soil management, etc, basically down to as fiddly and technical or not as you like.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

mune posted:

I've been looking at this game but can't justify the massive time sink and social contract MMOs seem to require.

If it helps, nothing grouprelated in FFXIV takes over an hour and everything mainquest related is so easy that you dont have to talk to anyone while doing the ID's (majority of mainquest is actually done solo, occasionally youre sent to Duty Finder)
It's underrated FF game because people are afraid of mmorpg part and perhaps underrated mmorpg because most of the poopsocking isnt mandatory (pretty much none if you just follow the story with one job and dont craft)

mallamp fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 16, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Iznogood posted:

Still, try Mushihimesama's novice mode. It's not a bullet hell (some people say arcade Original or 1.5 Original aren't bullet hells, either; I agree). It's a fantastic game that oozes style and is a joy to play. Don't credit feed. Practice tracking the bullets with your eyes and watch specifically for gaps between them. Once you've 1CCed novice original a few times, give novice maniac a try. This game's bullet hell is easier than you think because it's so well-designed. Well, not Ultra. gently caress Ultra. Novice Ultra, once you've had lots of practice on novice maniac, is actually perfectly playable and challenging.

For old-school-like shmups try Battle Crust and Wolflame.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Turtlicious posted:

Gonna echo the other guys and just point you towards Stellaris, just with a little caveat: The game is still really buggy for the moment. But it's getting its first big update later this month and the next one is planned to come out a month after that, and the latest dev diary shows they're fully aware of all the faults the game has for the moment and how to fix those.
And even in its current state it's a drat fun game, and people have gotten dozens of hours of fun from it. It's just bound to get a lot better still over time, and has the potential to become pretty much the best space strategy game ever.

As for the others, I haven't played either but the jist of what I've gotten from what I've read is that Polaris Sector is basically passable but really bland, and Distant Worlds is cool but really grognardy and has a really lovely UI, so probably not something to get if you're just gonna play "a bit"? Anyone more versed than I feel free to correct me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Ofecks posted:

Still, try Mushihimesama's novice mode. It's not a bullet hell (some people say arcade Original or 1.5 Original aren't bullet hells, either; I agree). It's a fantastic game that oozes style and is a joy to play. Don't credit feed. Practice tracking the bullets with your eyes and watch specifically for gaps between them. Once you've 1CCed novice original a few times, give novice maniac a try. This game's bullet hell is easier than you think because it's so well-designed. Well, not Ultra. gently caress Ultra. Novice Ultra, once you've had lots of practice on novice maniac, is actually perfectly playable and challenging.

For old-school-like shmups try Battle Crust and Wolflame.

You know I did not realise all the videos I see of these games are on some ultra hardcore autist setting. That there is in fact a easy mode. Added to wishlist I like to buy games on sale. Thanks!

Now to find a game like gems of war that is not ftp and that much of a grind.