Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

M_Sinistrari posted:

Specced well, Kaidan's pretty solid. Running with him and Wrex or him and Liara and mobs end up in the stratosphere before you notice.

Aye, a great gameplay pay-off in the third game too. A well-built Sentinel is *fierce*, and ably compliments just about any combination of classes you might go for in your shore party.

Edit: Playing through Citadel brought the itch back (if you'll excuse the term). My current ME1 has been parked for a while as I've been spending a ton of time playing other games. I need more Mass Effect in my day to day, so farewell for now, new Tomb Raider, and PC port of Trials Evolution.

Edit: The new Adept isn't one I have any particular gimmick lined up for, at the moment. Once brought into ME2, another weaponless insanity run maybe? Actually, I might save that for ME3, since I haven't tried the gimmick in that one yet.

magimix fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's not much of a challenge, most classes can do it very very easily. There's no point in the game when you absolutely need a weapon due to the difficulty drop. I did it with an engineer and again with a sentinel. I think the challenge would be with a soldier or infil, everything else is easy.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

lenoon posted:

It's not much of a challenge, most classes can do it very very easily. There's no point in the game when you absolutely need a weapon due to the difficulty drop. I did it with an engineer and again with a sentinel. I think the challenge would be with a soldier or infil, everything else is easy.

Doesn't sound too surprising. Some of my prior Adept and Engineer ME3 runs were mostly weaponless, as well as Vanguard (which was a hilarious surprise). I mainly just like wrecking poo poo with power combos, so lack of challenge doesn't make me disinclined to go full weaponless.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

lenoon posted:

After fiddling with a Sentinel, trying to go back to the Soldier is just dreadful. Booooring.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Chasiubao posted:

Holy dick is ME1's combat harder than 2 or 3 :( I was cleaning up in 3 and decided to go back to 1 and play through as a female Shepard, and I'm getting my rear end kicked non-stop as a Soldier on normal difficulty :saddowns:

Are you using Immunity? If not, use Immunity. Defensive powers in ME1 are hilariously broken.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

VoLaTiLe posted:

I loved Mass Effect however threw my toys out of the pram when they messed up the ending, I swore I would never buy ME3 DLC.

However is the new DLC in the Citadel worth it? I still love the universe so have been thinking of giving it a go.

Yes. God yes. And this is coming from someone who felt just like you after the ending.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Zoran posted:

Are you using Immunity? If not, use Immunity. Defensive powers in ME1 are hilariously broken.

They're so broken that they got the nerf bat so hard in the next two games that they're completely useless.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Just a reminder for those people who haven't played/finished the Citadel DLC yet: if you're not taking Wrex with you every chance you get, you're doing it wrong.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Why the hell are you playing a soldier in ME1 when the adept is avaible
- the highest dps gun
- all biotic powers
- stack those shields to the heavens.

Downsides:
- you carry 3 useless guns on your back.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They're so broken that they got the nerf bat so hard in the next two games that they're completely useless.

ME2 Tech Armour is the greatest thing ever though :black101: Man, what they did to it in ME3 was tragic :(

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They're good in ME3 multiplayer and you can stack them for stupid high damage resistance if your Shepard is a Sentinel.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Zedd posted:

- the highest dps gun
- all biotic powers

Downsides:
The Adept class was the first class I completed Mass Effect with. Holy hell, the biotic powers sure was overpowered in Mass Effect but at least you got somewhat humbled once you encountered a gang of rocket drones.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I could have sworn I read a post saying Citadel was only 800 points, but Origin has it priced at 1200 so either the price came up or I can't read. Oh well, I suppose I can spare that much, especially since just about everyone seems to be enjoying the DLC.

Gonna play this as the real ending/epilogue after I finish my current playthrough. :getin:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I could have sworn I read a post saying Citadel was only 800 points, but Origin has it priced at 1200 so either the price came up or I can't read. Oh well, I suppose I can spare that much, especially since just about everyone seems to be enjoying the DLC.

Gonna play this as the real ending/epilogue after I finish my current playthrough. :getin:

Apparently it was accidentally set to 800 points initially when it got released, but they fixed it pretty soon. Some people were lucky and managed to grab it for 800.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

magimix posted:

ME2 Tech Armour is the greatest thing ever though :black101: Man, what they did to it in ME3 was tragic :(

Oh, that might explain why I wasn't really feeling my attempt at playing Sentinel. I wanted to try the slowly advancing unstoppable brick wall of doom I was in ME2 and it just wasn't working. Getting Throw, Warp and Overload on the same class is baller, though. Maybe I'll try him again more or less eschewing Tech Armor and just go balls out offensive :black101:

(I'm a bit like magimix in this game I think, except I've never actually finished the game. :()

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 9, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sentinel is objectively the Best Class in ME2 and even moreso in ME3. Their power selection is bananas. My first ME3 run was a Sentinel and I didn't even use Tech Armor until I'd maxed out all the offensive powers they get. :catstare:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, that might explain why I wasn't really feeling my attempt at playing Sentinel. I wanted to try the slowly advancing unstoppable brick wall of doom I was in ME2 and it just wasn't working. Getting Throw, Warp and Overload on the same class is baller, though. Maybe I'll try him again more or less eschewing Tech Armor and just go balls out offensive :black101:

(I'm a bit like magimix in this game I think, except I've never actually finished the game. :()

Yeah, its a real shame. They standardised the behaviours of all defensive talents, and that included tech armour. Alas, this left Tech Armour a shadow of it's former self. There will me no ME3 Assault Sentinel :( Wierdly dropped the ball with that stuff, when everything *else* built ably on the foundation ME2 established.

precision posted:

Sentinel is objectively the Best Class in ME2 and even moreso in ME3. Their power selection is bananas. My first ME3 run was a Sentinel and I didn't even use Tech Armor until I'd maxed out all the offensive powers they get. :catstare:

Certainly it's the class that most fully benefits from the expanded combo model of ME3 :supaburn:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

magimix posted:

Certainly it's the class that most fully benefits from the expanded combo model of ME3 :supaburn:

That reminds me, Throw can detonate literally anything now, right? Including Cryo/Overloaded targets? Boy if only Sentinels got Incinerate. Maybe I could take Inferno Grenade as my bonus and skip Lift Grenades... :getin:

Speaking of, Lift Grenades seemed rubbish. Are they, or am I just more terrible than usual?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

That reminds me, can detonate literally anything now, right? Including Cryo/Overloaded targets? Boy if only Sentinels got Incinerate. Maybe I could take Inferno Grenade as my bonus and skip Lift Grenades... :getin:

Speaking of, Lift Grenades seemed rubbish. Are they, or am I just more terrible than usual?

Throw certainly acts as a detonator for every biotically-sourced combo I know of (stumbling on Warp->Throw was eye-opening, during my first ME3 run). I don't think Throw detonates tech-source combos, but its been a while since I've had the opportunity to try in ME3. As for Lift Grenades... Well, for me they are like *all* grenades in ME3 - things that I'll happily have squad-mates use, but rarely ever bother using myself. I've seen other peoples Lift Grenades wreck dudes in the game, at the least.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Zedd posted:

- the highest dps gun
- all biotic powers

Downsides:
A soldier becomes nigh invulnerable by the end of ME1. You are not only better than all defensive abilities combined from ME2 and ME3, but you are also better than solid cover in ME2 and ME3. :v:

Soldier became boring in ME2 and ME3 though. PRESS ADRENALINE RUSH. :w00t:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Batham posted:

A soldier becomes nigh invulnerable by the end of ME1. You are not only better than all defensive abilities combined from ME2 and ME3, but you are also better than solid cover in ME2 and ME3. :v:

Soldier became boring in ME2 and ME3 though. :effort:

In ME2 Revenant + Soldier =

Why do you hate fun???

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Batham posted:

Soldier became boring in ME2 and ME3 though. :effort:

*Especially* than ME3, with its penetration mechanic! I find that in ME2 at least, Soldier can be enjoyably brutal so long as you use the Mattock or Revenant, Heightened Adrenaline Rush (all. the. time.), and Inferno Rounds. Still *samey*, but the overpowering, ridiculous brutality of it has a charm, I find.

Edit: Thank you, Burning Mustache, I had that very image in mind :haw: loving love the Revenant. Its just keeps shooting, and shooting, and shooting. Pair that with +140% damage-boosted slo-mo, and an ammo talent that has a chance to proc an incendiary blast with each hit...

Edit: Man, I need to do another Revenant-wielding Soldier some time.

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 9, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Burning Mustache posted:

Why do you hate fun???
Replace the Revenant with the Typhoon in ME3 and that image becomes even more accurate than ever. I love how it churns out empty shells despite it not actually even using shells. Actually no, replace that with Arnold using the Minigun in T2 and it matches it a bit closer :smug:

vvv
Genesis is just a bare-bones playthrough, it lets you choose a couple of the big choices in the game but that's pretty much it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So, rather than regrind new shepards on ME1, I got the genesis DLC so I can make an ME1 shepard and jump right into 2 (and then 3)

Does genesis bring over a decent amount of war assets? Or is it just "make choices X,Y, and Z" because the defaults suck?

Also, does genesis kick in right when I start a new shepard, or is there something else I have to do?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Burning Mustache posted:

Why do you hate fun???
You had to head for cover in ME2. The revenant is loving great, I love the soldier in ME games and they're my most played characters, but jesus, JOHN MATRIX does not dive behind cover. He does a headroll to dodge a salvo and then hipfires baddies to heaven. Just like the ME1 soldier.

Don't make me post some gameplay from my latest femshep soldier.

Batham fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 9, 2013

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Error 404 posted:

So, rather than regrind new shepards on ME1, I got the genesis DLC so I can make an ME1 shepard and jump right into 2 (and then 3)

Does genesis bring over a decent amount of war assets? Or is it just "make choices X,Y, and Z" because the defaults suck?

Also, does genesis kick in right when I start a new shepard, or is there something else I have to do?

You wasted 4 dollars. You should've just used Gibbed's save editor. Genesis literally only lets you choose six basic choices from ME1.

- Shepard's love interest?
- Rachni Queen freed or destroyed?
- Wrex lives or is killed?
- Ashley or Kaidan dies?
- Citadel Council lives or dies?
- Anderson or Udina for Councillor?

That's it.

Also, Genesis automatically starts every time you start a new ME2 save.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 9, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

VirtualStranger posted:

You wasted 4 dollars. You should've just used Gibbed's save editor. Genesis literally only lets you choose six basic choices from ME1.

- Shepard's love interest?
- Rachni Queen freed or destroyed?
- Wrex lives or is killed?
- Ashley or Kaidan dies?
- Citadel Council lives or dies?
- Anderson or Udina for Councillor?

That's it.

Also, Genesis automatically starts every time you start a new ME2 save.
Welp... :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Genesis also doesn't "count" as an imported ME1 Shep, so you won't see Conrad Verner or even Kirrehe, as well as the dozens of lines of extra/different dialogue from your space bros and NPCs you met before.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

What platform are you playing it on? And what exactly are you trying to do?

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 9, 2013

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

So is multiplayer a ghost town now? I've tried finding games this afternoon and it would seem there's only 20 people in the world playing it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

commy gun posted:

So is multiplayer a ghost town now? I've tried finding games this afternoon and it would seem there's only 20 people in the world playing it.

No, not in the least. What platform are you on?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

commy gun posted:

Have you downloaded all the multiplayer DLCs? They're free and if you don't have them your pool of people is very small.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is the extra-reputation branch of rank 4 of the class skill ever worth taking over the other one? (for ME3)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 9, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ciaphas posted:

Is the extra-reputation branch of rank 4 of the class skill ever worth taking over the other one?

I know it was practically necessary to get all the team fights resolved in the best way possible in 2, not sure about 3 though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is the extra-reputation branch of rank 4 of the class skill ever worth taking over the other one?
As I recall, the Vanguard defensive variant was better than the aggressive one by a long shot anyhow.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

If you're in ME2, pick the reputation boost branch first until you have a high enough paragon/renegade score that it no longer matters, then re-spec into the other branch. (unless you like the health/recharge bonuses more, in which case you can just keep it where it is.)

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

magimix posted:

Throw certainly acts as a detonator for every biotically-sourced combo I know of (stumbling on Warp->Throw was eye-opening, during my first ME3 run). I don't think Throw detonates tech-source combos, but its been a while since I've had the opportunity to try in ME3. As for Lift Grenades... Well, for me they are like *all* grenades in ME3 - things that I'll happily have squad-mates use, but rarely ever bother using myself. I've seen other peoples Lift Grenades wreck dudes in the game, at the least.

Both throw and warp should detonate cyro, fire and tech explosions.

This is even better when paired with ammo powers. Your chance to proc an ammo power is based on each individual bullet so a high speed gun or a multi-pellet shot gun can have high chances to activate an ammo power.

This is really pronounced with the talon pistol where almost every shot is a guaranteed proc. immediately hit throw afterwards and you can churn out tech and fire explosions everywhere.

In other news - is there a way in gibbed to set your imported shepard's level to 1 rather than 30 when you start a game? Playing the game at low level actually makes single player a bit more thrilling

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Banjodark posted:

In other news - is there a way in gibbed to set your imported shepard's level to 1 rather than 30 when you start a game? Playing the game at low level actually makes single player a bit more thrilling

I'm pretty sure there is, but I'd image you have to re-spec first to get rid of all your spent talent points.

Dankzilla
Dec 8, 2005

"hey Clay, how's Groy's ass lookin?"
Is anyone else getting a bug with sabotage on the dlc?? Every time I use it my xbox freezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Playing Fem Shep for the first time since Citadel inspired me to start a new run in 3, and I gotta say I'm remembering how much I love this game. Although, I got pretty pretty bummed out again when I get the e-mail saying that Kal Reegar died off screen. :( At least you have one of the best weapons in the game after you!

• Locked thread