Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've never seen temperatures below zero hurt anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Scarecow posted:

"A thermal cycle is performed by going from -55 °C to 125 °C while each temperature is hold for 15 minutes."

hey guys we did testing at a thermal cycle range and rate thats completely outside what your CPU would actually ever see such as 125c which your cpu would would shutdown your PC before allowing itself to sit at that for loving 15mins

and god drat if that isnt the biggest load of horseshit they try to justify cutting corners to improve margins I have ever heard. your average cpu is going to be operating in the temp range of 16c-90c assuming you have the poo poo stock intel cooler on also not being thermally cycled from that range ether more like 25c-90c at the most, and as someone who does material testing for a living trying to make this excuse pisses me off so much. its like testing your car engine by red lining it and holding it and back to idle over and over and going "welp guess your motor really isnt that good for day to day driving" its completely outside the range of the normal use case

yeah because they didn't want to run the test forever, it's just an intel ad article calm down

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Mofabio posted:

yeah because they didn't want to run the test forever, it's just an intel ad article calm down

I thought the relevant part was needing to run that extreme thermal cycle up to 300 times before a microcrack (read: not a total cpu failure) occured in the TIM. Sort of proves how resilient it is to begin with.

I assume you dabble in physics right, where the rate of reaction doubles for every 10*c increase, halves for decrease. 30 to 70c is far more forgiving than -55c to 125c.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

priznat posted:

What happened was after about 4-5 years the device wouldn't boot anymore and then all the drive data was unusable because I couldn't plug it into a pc, had to be in one of the same enclosures. They were EOL'd at that point so it would have been real hard to find a new one.

I've run into this multiple times both for myself and clients. The solution is UnRaid, and despite its quirks it's been rock solid and blazing fast, even with nine drives, four dockers and two VMs running on a wheezy old AMD quad core. I will never buy a proprietary NAS again.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
yeah I mean they should have done a sensitivity test but I don't wanna drag anybody looking into CPUs like this instead of producing the hundredth Tomb Raider benchmark. I didn't know those wetting properties of Indium and feel like I learned a lil bit about chips.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

eames posted:

T20/T30 are awesome. Mine runs a ton of stuff (NAS, PVR, 8 docker containers, 4 VMs, one of them Windows 10 with a undervolted 1070 for steam remote streaming) at 34W idle. That's less than a 5-bay Synology.
I wouldn't mind a few extra cores but haven't found anything comparable with ECC support and at that power idle consumption.

A bit offtopic but... I have a T20 running CentOS and started trying to set up a VM with GPU passthrough, but ran into the issue that it disables the iGPU if I add a discrete one. Did you figure out a way to work around that for your system, or are you using two discrete GPUs? I had hoped to save the second full PCIe slot for a SATA controller so I can go over 4 drives, as well as save the power.

Other than that, my main complaint about the system is the proprietary power supply - I like the smaller motherboard connector, but it doesn't have enough SATA connections for all the bays in the case which is baffling and I can't replace it with one that does.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 6, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Intel (and AMD) CPUs also last for like 10 years (or really even 20-30 with some systems) so maybe you're not seeing a year of -55 to +125C swings, but maybe you'll see 10 years of 20 to 80C swings. I kind of think the low range is too extreme, but I'm not a materials scientist and there's probably a good reason for getting that low. If it was me I'd do -10C to +125C, but I don't know anything about materials science and thermal cycling testing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

craig588 posted:

there's probably a good reason for getting that low. If it was me I'd do -10C to +125C, but I don't know anything about materials science and thermal cycling testing.

Well, for one it helps them sell the narrative that they need to use slop instead of solder on the smaller chips (conveniently also saving a butt-ton of complexity and a bit of cash in the process).

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

craig588 posted:

Intel (and AMD) CPUs also last for like 10 years (or really even 20-30 with some systems) so maybe you're not seeing a year of -55 to +125C swings, but maybe you'll see 10 years of 20 to 80C swings. I kind of think the low range is too extreme, but I'm not a materials scientist and there's probably a good reason for getting that low. If it was me I'd do -10C to +125C, but I don't know anything about materials science and thermal cycling testing.

Materials expand and contract at different rates, so opting for extreme temperature swings is really asking for a failure, because those differences are greater when it's extremely hot or extremely cold. And even then the cpu holds up, only getting warmer due to air gaps in the TIM.

We're being critical of the article because it's trying to use fancy words like metallurgy but fails to give an objective conclusion. It's exactly like the analogy of the red lining car.

Re: Rate of reaction aka rates of expansion, contraction, heat degradation, IANAS but let's call 20c 1, so 30c would double to 2 etc. The relative difference of normal operating temperatures is far smaller than a drastic swing in either direction let alone both.

-60 (0.00390625)
-50 (0.0078125
-40 (0.015625)
-30 (0.03125
-20 (0.0625
-10 (0.125)
0 (0.25)
10 (0.5)
20 (1) Shutdown/ambient temperature
30 (2) Idle temperature
40 (4)
50 (8)
60 (16)
70 (32)
80 (64) High load
90 (128) Thermal throttle/shutdown temp?
100 (256)
110 (512)
120 (1024)
130 (2048)

edit: IOW: it fails 20x harder, not 20x faster.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 6, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel has always sorta taken the Toyota approach that reliability is all important, and a failure will drive a customer away forever. Of course there are examples where they have hosed that up, but things like the Ryzen memory compatibility issues would be unbelievable shitstorms for Intel. Partly because of their history, and partly because of their market position.

Something like sub 10% of K and X series CPU owners ever OC in the first place, so I imagine to intel, the cost and reliability benefits outweigh the extra sales they could potentially make to ultra-nerds craving an extra 200mhz in OC headroom.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Cygni posted:

Intel has always sorta taken the Toyota approach that reliability is all important, and a failure will drive a customer away forever.
Something like sub 10% of K and X series CPU owners ever OC in the first place, so I imagine to intel, the cost and reliability benefits outweigh the extra sales they could potentially make to ultra-nerds craving an extra 200mhz in OC headroom.

That was my thinking, but no average consumer drops below ambient temperature, and running at stock should mean lower voltages and temperatures with it. I don't know the exact temperatures but I heard roughly 80-90c when you're overclocked, and dropping to 70c when you de-lid and do the liquid metal hackjob. Solder -should- be slightly better, especially since the process is designed to wet (ie: absorb into surface pores on the metal) into the IHS for full contact instead of paste/gallium sandwich.

So I could see 30c to 65c at stock if they simply opted for solder. But they didn't, because....

I would pay a 50 dollar premium for a 7700k that came factory soldered indium et al.

edit: I forgot to make my point, I think. If the goal was reliability, why not opt for the cooler more stable process? Because it's "good enough" for stock spec.

edit2: there's like no frickin way the solder is going to crack going from 30 to 65 even 70c. point2.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 6, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Pretty sure some would pay a $100 premium for a bare die + official shim version.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Especially if they threw in the "break it via OC and we send you another, once" guarantee that they offered for a while (maybe still do?) with an extra charge.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure some would pay a $100 premium for a bare die + official shim version.

I'd pay extra for it. I'd like to direct die mount an aircooler, just because it'd run passive for longer with better contact.

I wish Noctua would make a direct die aircooler.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

Especially if they threw in the "break it via OC and we send you another, once" guarantee that they offered for a while (maybe still do?) with an extra charge.

They still offer it - they just don't openly advertise it.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

The FAQ for it doesn't specifically mention delidding, even at one point saying that it covers "replacing the processor damaged solely as a result of the overclocking," but then in the next entry they cover their asses by stating:

"While we will, under the Plan, replace an eligible processor that fails while running outside of Intel’s specifications, we will not provide any assistance with configuration, data recovery, failure of associated parts, or any other activities or issues associated with the processor or system resulting from overclocking or otherwise running outside of Intel’s published specifications." (emphasis mine)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 6, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I wonder if some of Intel's laptop chips are on the same production lines as the desktop chips? That at least would make sense with regards to extreme temperature changes since a laptop is far more likely to see that sort of abuse. Hell, there are laptops that use desktop chips socketed package and all, it's a corner case but there are definitely users who fall into it. I guess Intel could make some special chips just to service that market but the same could be said of overclockers plus overclockers are by definition running the product outside of spec, so I see even less reason to cater to that market than the market of users who subject chips to extreme conditions.

eames
May 9, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

A bit offtopic but... I have a T20 running CentOS and started trying to set up a VM with GPU passthrough, but ran into the issue that it disables the iGPU if I add a discrete one. Did you figure out a way to work around that for your system, or are you using two discrete GPUs? I had hoped to save the second full PCIe slot for a SATA controller so I can go over 4 drives, as well as save the power.

Other than that, my main complaint about the system is the proprietary power supply - I like the smaller motherboard connector, but it doesn't have enough SATA connections for all the bays in the case which is baffling and I can't replace it with one that does.

There's an option named "Multi-Monitor Support" (or similar) in the BIOS/UEFI that controls the iGPU when you have an additional graphics card installed. I think it might be disabled by default.
Regarding the PSU, it isn't great but it has 78% efficiency at 25W DC which is what my machine idles at. I haven't found a PSU that fits in there and has similarly high low-load efficiency. Even the Corsair SF450 Gold PSU only has 70% at such low loads. You could simply buy a SATA power splitter for your additional drives.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Motherfucking bring it to desktop chips
6c+
Kaby+ IPC
Bigass cache

We've been screaming that poo poo ever since Broadwell showed incredible gaming prowess even at its low-ish stock clocks. I have no idea why Intel hasn't obliged.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

eames posted:

There's an option named "Multi-Monitor Support" (or similar) in the BIOS/UEFI that controls the iGPU when you have an additional graphics card installed. I think it might be disabled by default.
Regarding the PSU, it isn't great but it has 78% efficiency at 25W DC which is what my machine idles at. I haven't found a PSU that fits in there and has similarly high low-load efficiency. Even the Corsair SF450 Gold PSU only has 70% at such low loads. You could simply buy a SATA power splitter for your additional drives.

Cool, thanks - I looked in the BIOS but probably glossed over that one due to the nondescript name. I'll have to give it a try.

The PSU's not that big of a deal, I just have a 400W Platinum fanless model from my previous try at a home server and wish I could swap that in to see if there's a noticeable difference. Might not be a good idea anyway without a front fan to provide some pressure, though. More concerning in the long term is the idea that if the stock unit ever dies, I can't replace it without some adapter that I may not be able to find or a new OEM unit.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wonder if some of Intel's laptop chips are on the same production lines as the desktop chips? That at least would make sense with regards to extreme temperature changes since a laptop is far more likely to see that sort of abuse. Hell, there are laptops that use desktop chips socketed package and all, it's a corner case but there are definitely users who fall into it. I guess Intel could make some special chips just to service that market but the same could be said of overclockers plus overclockers are by definition running the product outside of spec, so I see even less reason to cater to that market than the market of users who subject chips to extreme conditions.

I thought the common wisdom at this point was that desktop duals were commonly -U or -Y chips that failed to make the power efficiency cut, and desktop quads are the -HQ or E3 Xeon rejects. Do we have a reason to suspect otherwise?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

We've been screaming that poo poo ever since Broadwell showed incredible gaming prowess even at its low-ish stock clocks. I have no idea why Intel hasn't obliged.

Because the bigass cache is not as profitable

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They still offer it - they just don't openly advertise it.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

The FAQ for it doesn't specifically mention delidding, even at one point saying that it covers "replacing the processor damaged solely as a result of the overclocking," but then in the next entry they cover their asses by stating:

"While we will, under the Plan, replace an eligible processor that fails while running outside of Intel’s specifications, we will not provide any assistance with (1) configuration, (2) data recovery, (3)failure of associated parts, or any other (4)activities or (5)issues associated with the processor or system (6)resulting from overclocking or otherwise running outside of Intel’s published specifications." (emphasis mine)

1 - "my system wont POST how do I fix it" "what is LLC and is 1.9 a good vcore"
2 - "how do i backup my files or save my bookmarks"
3 - "oh no my psu broke too"
4 - buttmining. or other business disruptions resulting from non working computer. (edit2: probably wrong. but any other type of activity I can think of would fall under issues, and unstable systems/data corruption seems to fit)
5 - "this thing runs too hot" or maybe even "my cpu didn't break enough"

6 - So because this plan is meant to replace the processor damaged solely as a result of the overclocking, and because it includes this disclaimer, I think they'll replace dead cpu's, but they won't help you overclock or take responsibility for any resulting damage.

I'd expect worse treatment from intel's legal team honestly.

edit: oh right de-lidding was the question. I think the solely part seals it in intel's favour. It could even be considered an outside specification.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 8, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So it seems Intel's going to try something different for Coffee Lake: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-300-series-z370-z390-chipset-leak/

I guess I'm waiting for the Z390 board.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So it seems Intel's going to try something different for Coffee Lake: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-300-series-z370-z390-chipset-leak/

Really? Jeez, way to kill sales of your locked CPUs right out of the gate if buyers can't get a break on a motherboard.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I guess I'm waiting for the Z390 board.

Dammit! I will never upgrade from my 2500k at this rate.. It's one thing to merely assume there will be something better in 6 months but quite another to have the actual roadmap spelling it out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Jesus, if the rumours of Ryzen refresh at 4.3-4.4 GHz are true, AMD's going to wipe the loving floor by 2H 2018.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
They really know how to sour this potential purchase. But I value single thread performance over number of cores, so I guess I stick with them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only thing we know about Z390 at the moment is that it'll offer quality-of-life improvements over Z370, which seems to more or less be a refreshed Z270 with the new socket:

Woo, native USB 3.1 Gen 2...just in time for USB 3.2 to become 'a thing.' :toot:

eames
May 9, 2009

This rumored Intel Pro series sounds like it could finally bring an option to run Coffee Lake with ECC RAM support.

As for the roadmap, it's more or less what I expected. Not allowing Coffee Lake to run on Z170/Z270 is a ballsy move unless there are technical reasons for it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jesus Christ, I've waited so goddamn long to upgrade after Kaby Lake turned out to be a huge nothing burger and Intel hinted at a release this August, and now this, god I hope the Ryzen refresh kicks their rear end.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kazinsal posted:

Jesus, if the rumours of Ryzen refresh at 4.3-4.4 GHz are true, AMD's going to wipe the loving floor by 2H 2018.
That's boost or general runtime frequency?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone venture a guess how big a game improvement I'd get if I replaced my i5-760 with an X3470?

I'm mainly playing Overwatch which is extremely bottlenecked by my CPU, and I imagine the hyperthreading alone might help a lot - as well for recording or streaming.

I don't know what the OC potential is, but my 760 only managed to clock to ~3.5 GHz (170 BCLK), if I'm reading CPU-Z correctly.

I've been waiting eons to replace my CPU, but if Z390 is going to have what those specs indicate, I might as well spend ~€40 for an interim CPU.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

ufarn posted:

Anyone venture a guess how big a game improvement I'd get if I replaced my i5-760 with an X3470?

I'm mainly playing Overwatch which is extremely bottlenecked by my CPU, and I imagine the hyperthreading alone might help a lot - as well for recording or streaming.

I don't know what the OC potential is, but my 760 only managed to clock to ~3.5 GHz (170 BCLK), if I'm reading CPU-Z correctly.

I've been waiting eons to replace my CPU, but if Z390 is going to have what those specs indicate, I might as well spend ~€40 for an interim CPU.

Won't increase your FPS at all for Overwatch. Will have less of an FPS drop when playing when recording/streaming.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

We knew the stuff about Z370 and Z390 a while ago. Z370 is essentially a refreshed Z270 (remember that Coffee Lake was not supposed to exist at all before 10nm flopped). Z390 and the rest of the 300 series are the Cannon Lake chipsets, although it looks likely they wont ever be used with Cannon Lake on the desktop.

When you look at the stuff Z390 adds... it really looks like a non issue to me?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I mainly want the new Thunderbolt since the Z390 doesn't looktoo useful except for transfer speed. It's a small thing but I (evidently) don't upgrade too often. :)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

I remember seeing people getting to a bit under 4GHz with the highest end 1366 Xeon CPUs and I assume the 1156 versions might do similar. 40 dollars for about 10% better performance in CPU limited stuff? Probably not worth it, especially not for games like Overwatch which is very well optimized for lower end systems.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 8, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ufarn posted:

I mainly want the new Thunderbolt since the Z390 doesn't looktoo useful except for transfer speed. It's a small thing but I (evidently) don't upgrade too often. :)

You're really going to wait a whole year for a new chipset instead of buying a $50 PCI card?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'll see what the release date is, ofc I won't be waiting that long if that's the case. We'll have to see when their desktop CL event is.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how are they going to integrate wireless? are they going to just stick a shield over part of the package and put some coax ports on there?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some lukewarm 8700K benchmarks and an Oct 5 release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You're really going to wait a whole year for a new chipset instead of buying a $50 PCI card?

Thunderbolt 3 PCIe cards are available for $50?

I hope these end up true since I'd just go ahead and get a R7 1700 and X370 and call it good. I've wanted to see how Coffee Lake's performance would compare and how it might affect prices on Ryzen.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 11, 2017