Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

HelloWinter posted:

English script, as in the voice track as well??

If I'm reading this correctly, you'll be able to choose between JP/EN voices and EFIGS text:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/bdfts/

There are a ton of changes listed, I guess that huge questionnaire they did really paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
So would this game be for me if I liked 4 Heroes of Light? I got a strange opinion among goons, so I imagine I'm the niche SE wants.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Edoraz posted:

So would this game be for me if I liked 4 Heroes of Light? I got a strange opinion among goons, so I imagine I'm the niche SE wants.

It's kinda in the vein of 4 Heroes in the sense that it's a modern take on the classic JRPG, but it doesn't have the pseudo-retro features like the tiny inventory or the AP system or whatever other crap people (wrongfully!) complained about; it's both more traditional and more convenient in that regard.

I think the most polarising aspects are the "social" features - the town-building portion of the game requires Streetpass/Spotpass hits to progress at a reasonable pace, so it can take a while to unlock/build everything without them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

About the Bravery Default re-release/expansion that was announced recently: JP players will have the option to purchase the EN script as DLC, which suggests that the international release will indeed be based off the expanded game and not the original.

Awesome! :cool: Now all we need is a release date for the west, and we're set!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I bought all four of the new Streetpass games a while ago thanks to the FE/SMT4 deal. After several years of going to cons with just Find Mii/Find Mii 2 and Puzzle Swap, streetpassing is really different now. Used to be it'd take like 2 minutes to 'process' the street passes through the games. I could pull out a book or load up a different game and check on my notifications every now and then to see if I got 10 passes again.
PAX Prime is almost over, and the extra games add so much processing time that I'm missing other passes and haven't really had the opportunity to do things like prune Animal Crossing streetpass housing or sort through all the ProfiCards in Theatrhythm.

Mii Force requires several minutes of attentive gameplay every round, and if you gently caress up and die, you get to start all over. You can definitely complete Mii Force with fewer streetpasses than Find Mii/2, but there's no benefit (IIRC) to having higher-level Miis. Arcade Mode gimps you by only letting you have three pods at a time.
Monster Manor also needs attentive gameplay, but it's essentially turn based outside of the 20-second-long battles. It doesn't require as much time if you're not micromanaging getting all the chests you can. I'm not sure I understand why virtually every gun is a Charge gun when charging takes so long a common enemy can beat you to death before you're fully charged.
Flower Town would be much faster if Mr. Mendel shut the gently caress up and stopped repeating himself every drat time; it's almost as bad as going through Find Mii's intro every time you had a new set of passes. I've grown 26 different breeds, I don't need to know how the goddamn seed shape indicates flower shape for the thirtieth time! And there's all sorts of non-streetpass related poo poo. With 80 flowers and presumably like 16 colors per flower, the grind is...intimidating.
Warrior's Way is the fastest of the bunch, since you spend a lot of time just holding R to build up your army over several sets of passes, although it does slow down if you start attacking other Warrior's Way owners to pillage their armies. I really want to get the defeat-army-twice-as-big-as-you ticket, but finding someone in the right range is tough.
It could easily take you 20+ minutes to process a set of 10 streetpasses through all six games. I eventually gave up on Find Mii and Mii Force and eventually just did Puzzle Swap and Warrior's Way when I was in a high-density streetpass area. I won't be getting 80 breeds or reaching the top floor of the Manor this PAX, but I did manage to finish Mii Force, get all the new puzzles done, and took down the Emperor (I started the convention with like ~5k troops; I'll end with over a million. The Spy ability is a godsend for amassing troops).

And I lost my drat stylus again. Good thing I still have my Theatrhythm one. Do any of the third party stylus packs actually fit the 3DSXL properly?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Pyroclastic posted:

Monster Manor also needs attentive gameplay, but it's essentially turn based outside of the 20-second-long battles. It doesn't require as much time if you're not micromanaging getting all the chests you can. I'm not sure I understand why virtually every gun is a Charge gun when charging takes so long a common enemy can beat you to death before you're fully charged.

You can shoot before a gun is fully charged. It's quite handy, since you can also counter enemy attacks if you fire right as the attack name pops up on the screen 90% of the time. I've been using the same Handyman's gun since I found it on floor 2, and I'm at floor 17 or so and haven't lost more than a couple points of health on any given level.

Pyroclastic posted:

Flower Town would be much faster if Mr. Mendel shut the gently caress up and stopped repeating himself every drat time; it's almost as bad as going through Find Mii's intro every time you had a new set of passes. I've grown 26 different breeds, I don't need to know how the goddamn seed shape indicates flower shape for the thirtieth time! And there's all sorts of non-streetpass related poo poo. With 80 flowers and presumably like 16 colors per flower, the grind is...intimidating.

I haven't touched Flower Town since I played through the intro to it. If I could find a way to uninstall it so that I wouldn't have to have it griping at me about "not having played with all my guests", I would.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's still "late 2013" in PAL-land and "early 2014" in NA, I think. The JP release is in December, which makes me think Nintendo is gonna continue their current pattern of releasing the PAL version at the same time as the JP version while delaying the NA version by a month for absolutely no reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's still "late 2013" in PAL-land and "early 2014" in NA, I think. The JP release is in December, which makes me think Nintendo is gonna continue their current pattern of releasing the PAL version at the same time as the JP version while delaying the NA version by a month for absolutely no reason.

The current trend of delayed releases in the US will never not be funny to me after the last two decades of six-month-delayed, and even cancelled, PAL-region releases :allears:. There really is no reason this should be happening now though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The current trend of delayed releases in the US will never not be funny to me after the last two decades of six-month-delayed, and even cancelled, PAL-region releases :allears:. There really is no reason this should be happening now though.

I live in the PAL region myself, so I know how you feel.

Which, incidentally, means I'm rather happy about getting Bravely Default in 2013. Still, I agree that the recent release date pattern is kinda strange.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How often do 3DS games go below $30? Does anything launch at $30 om the eshop?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ace Attorney 5 is going to.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

Ace Attorney 5 is going to.

And it seems like it might be out soon! Alright cool saving my $30 of credit for that.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward just came out for $25.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Folt The Bolt posted:

I still want formal confirmation that the Western version is For The Sequel before I board the hype train.

Although first I should buy a 3DS :v:

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward just came out for $25.

Did they ever fix the save wiping bug? I've heard the eShop version fixed that bug, but never saw confirmation.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
They 'fixed' it by disabling saving in areas that would trigger the bug.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

They 'fixed' it by disabling saving in areas that would trigger the bug.

So they actually expect you to do all 1-2+ hour long puzzle rooms without saving, now? (I've had crashes in several different puzzle rooms so it can't be a situation where they, like, just disabled saving in PEC)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Confirmation that the Americas/Europe is getting the enhanced version of Bravely Default(:For the Sequel).

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/374561038974189568

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Volt Catfish posted:

So they actually expect you to do all 1-2+ hour long puzzle rooms without saving, now? (I've had crashes in several different puzzle rooms so it can't be a situation where they, like, just disabled saving in PEC)

The crashes and the save bug are unrelated issues. The only area that has saving disabled is the PEC.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

If I'm reading this correctly, you'll be able to choose between JP/EN voices and EFIGS text:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/bdfts/

There are a ton of changes listed, I guess that huge questionnaire they did really paid off.

Also this part isn't "DLC" - "For The Sequel" is DLC for people who have the original game as WELL as being a new release - it's just like Fantasy Life Link was even down to the fact the game will also go from having one save slot to 3 (perhaps this is a mandated thing? I certainly hope so as I share our 3DS with my wife and wasn't allowed to touch Fantasy Life until that happened as it was "her game")

More significantly: controllable encounter rate, "enhanced" background graphics, and there is actually something to do in chapters 7 and 8! (this means that it's only chapters 5 and 6 that are total 100% bullshit grind now...)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 2, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Confirmation that the Americas/Europe is getting the enhanced version of Bravely Default(:For the Sequel).

And the BDFF developers keep on delivering the good stuff. :cool:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I know this was posted when Bravely Default just came out in JPN but could some goons post some impressions? I accidentally pre-ordered it so I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

MrFlibble posted:

So I've never played a Mega Man game. Out of the 6 (nes versions) available on the e-shop which is the best one to get? Or is there one that I should wait to get?

I really liked 2, but there's a room where you have to very accurately use your Crashman weapon and it made me give up. The only one I've actually beaten is MM1 for some reason. The yellow one I giant thing didn't bother me for some reason. Of course if you're going to play MM1 and have a PSP, get MM Powered Up. Actually, an e-shop release of that would own.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

I know this was posted when Bravely Default just came out in JPN but could some goons post some impressions? I accidentally pre-ordered it so I'd like to know what I'm getting into.
Chapters 1 - 4 are a gorgeous RPG with hand painted backgrounds, an extensive job system, and one of the best quest logs I have ever seen in a JRPG. Chapters 5-8 are grindy and repetitive for spoiler-intensive reasons, plus it takes FAR too long for the party to realise who Ring-a-bell actually is. Impressions about the battle system etc will have to wait until November as the new one is totally different - on the plus side we'll be able to comment on the quality of the translation (which could go either way given characters with names like "Ideally", "Ring-a-bell", "Omnious Claw", "Burning Out" and "Holy White" in what is actually a very serious, dark, plot)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

"Omnious Claw"

I think that's supposed to be "Ominous Crow", actually.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I don't know how, but apparently Ghostlight got enough pre-orders to publish Devil Survivor 2 (DS) for Europe. So, uh... Yay?

EDIT:

Ghostlight posted:

This special edition will be factory sealed and include an exclusive A4 folded poster featuring the cover art. As an added bonus pre-ordered units will also feature a special gold coloured Devil Survivor logo on the inlay.
:aaaaa:

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 2, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm fairly sure anyone who cared pre-ordered the region-free version nearly two years ago. And those who didn't are waiting for the revised 3DS version that, in all likelihood, NISA will publish here. Thanks for playing, Ghostlight.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

RuBisCO posted:

Well, that was fast. A little under 100 minutes for me to look daft.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

Chapters 1 - 4 are a gorgeous RPG with hand painted backgrounds, an extensive job system, and one of the best quest logs I have ever seen in a JRPG. Chapters 5-8 are grindy and repetitive for spoiler-intensive reasons

I'm just curious, but what is the reason for that? Also, do chapters 5-8 take longer to complete than 1-4?

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
What's the verdict on Steamworld Dig? It sounds kind of fun but I'd like some opinions before I get it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Macaroni Surprise posted:

What's the verdict on Steamworld Dig? It sounds kind of fun but I'd like some opinions before I get it.

It's not bad. The combat is kind of clunky, but that doesn't come up much. It's apparently pretty short. I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, but I suspect I'm nearing the end. I think it's worth the price.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Macaroni Surprise posted:

It's a really fun game. Well worth the 9 or 10 bucks I paid for it.

I know this is the thread for 3DS games, but I'll ask anyway.

Given the well known fact that the DS library is really extensive, can anyone recommend me between 15 to 20 good-to-great RPG's for the DS?
Take into account I already have:
  • All of the Shin Megami Tensei games.
  • All of the Etrian Odyssey games.
  • Bowser's Inside Story (had my doubts about this game; I was glad to be proven wrong :3:)
  • Glory of Heracles.(somebody borrowed it from me, though :geno:)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

I'm just curious, but what is the reason for that? Also, do chapters 5-8 take longer to complete than 1-4?

"Time Travel" - and 5-8 are much shorter but it's the same locations / boss battles as you got in 1-4. SOME of the battles have SLIGHTLY different dialogues - as you know more about what's happening in the world around you but it's still tedious. If you ignore all the side-quests it'd be faster, but you'd be underlevelled I suspect.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Given the well known fact that the DS library is really extensive, can anyone recommend me between 15 to 20 good-to-great RPG's for the DS?

The World Ends With You.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The World Ends With You.

Seconding this. It's probably my favorite game on the DS. Dragon Quest IX and Chrono Trigger (if you haven't played the original) are also worth looking at.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Radiant Historia is also outstanding, probably my second favorite DS RPG after TWEWY.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

• Bowser's Inside Story (had my doubts about this game; I was glad to be proven wrong :3:)
In addition to everything else said so far (all of which I agree with), these are also pretty good-to-great:

Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI. Especially V.
Final Fantasy IV DS
Front Mission

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Wark Say posted:

If you want some incredibly charming games, try Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, Magical Starsign, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, and Contact.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What is SMT? Like, what is it? Can someone give me a run down on the series?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Demonic pokemon where you kill your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Austrian mook posted:

What is SMT? Like, what is it? Can someone give me a run down on the series?

The main series and most of its spin-offs revolve around the fact that it's like Pokémon, but instead of catching them all, in the Megami Tensei series you bribe, fuse and generally beat the poo poo out of the demons, angels and pretty much every single mythological being you've ever thought of (and some you haven't).

Also, thanks for the recommendations, goons! The rehabilitation process after surgery is gonna be long and boring as hell, so I really appreciate any and all DS Rpg bumps.

(You can keep them coming :3:)

• Locked thread