Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Awesome thing happened recently. One of my short stories, "Deconstruct", was accepted into a new Kindle anthology called Kindle All Stars. The first of these anthologies has been titled "Resistance Front".

The anthology includes top-tier, mega-iconic authors such as Harlan Ellison (who has won more awards for imaginative literature than any other author yet, and is personally fascinated by the project), to unknowns such as myself. The project is headed by Bernard J. Schaffer, who is better known as having the #1 top-selling Sherlock Holmes novel on Amazon, Whitechapel: The Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes.

For those of you who have short stories you really think are awesome, there is still time to submit (September 15th is the deadline). The anthology will be on sale sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas for .99 cents. All proceeds go to the Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Getting put in an anthology with a name like Harlan Ellison is great!

Ironically beating out all the people that submitted stories for the last Dangerous Visions book...

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
That is AWESOME man! Congrats!

Harlan Ellison is a personal hero of mine, so double awesome.

How does one submit, out of curiosity?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Congrats! That is a nice feather in your cap.

Also I found this article - seems relevant http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2011/maximizing-digital-book-sales/

BTW did we do an amazon tagging exchange?

Zombies of the World: http://www.amazon.com/Zombies-World-Ross-Payton/dp/0982726503/

Tags: zombies, guide, ghoul, revenant, undead, living dead, horror, parody, comedy

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

interview with an ebook designer: http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ebook-design-interview-with-sarah-e-melville-by-piotr-kowalczyk/

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
(nothing to see here)

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2013

bardryn
Jun 1, 2011
Congrats on your inclusion, if more than a year late. I've just joined both the forum and the world of self-publishing with a book I finished back in 2007 and have revised a number of times since. With teaching being such a tough field lately (I'm in my third year as a sub, still looking for a full-time position), I thought it was a good time to have a go. I'd love to hear what any of you think, about the book or how to go about marketing it. Thanks!

Smashwords link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/83529

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Azure_Horizon posted:

Email your short story to: ApiarySociety@gmail.com with "Kindle All Stars" as the email title

in Word format (.doc, .docx)

I am also down for tagging exchange:

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Metropolis-Paean-Dreams-ebook/dp/B005HK8XQ6/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1313572741&sr=1-3

tags: alternate reality, dreams, philosophy, psychological thriller, science fiction

done! - perhaps we should have a separate thread for this? I don't know.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 4, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bardryn posted:

Congrats on your inclusion, if more than a year late. I've just joined both the forum and the world of self-publishing with a book I finished back in 2007 and have revised a number of times since. With teaching being such a tough field lately (I'm in my third year as a sub, still looking for a full-time position), I thought it was a good time to have a go. I'd love to hear what any of you think, about the book or how to go about marketing it. Thanks!

Smashwords link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/83529

Cool idea and I like the product description. I would, however, lower the price. Your book is not the length of a novel (it is actually a novella) and I would price it between .99 cents and 2.99.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
I have also taggified the two books listed.

(And I actually don't think we need a new thread for it. I don't know where it would go.)

If folks would like to tag mine

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boneyard-ebook/dp/B004WSQ4SI/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3

horror, gremlins, fantasy, dark, comedy, cheap, kindle

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Ripper-Savior-Humanity-ebook/dp/B0053GBLJA/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

horror, jack the ripper, time travel, dark fantasy, cheap, kindle, london

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Tagged FingerbangMisfire's books. If you want to, here's mine: http://www.amazon.com/Anchored-Flesh-Silas-ebook/dp/B0057SMG5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308934768&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.com/Meat-ebook/dp/B0057QO56M/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1315179767&sr=1-1 (Just one-up everything for both books, please). Thanks in advance to anyone who does this.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
man, you know what's a bitch? Writing the next book.

I keep finding myself wanting to tie up loose threads from the first book rather than push the plot forward for the second.

Ugh.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Email your short story to: ApiarySociety@gmail.com with "Kindle All Stars" as the email title

Thanks, sent them a short story. Science Fiction, wasn't sure if that's what they were looking for or not.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Thanks, sent them a short story. Science Fiction, wasn't sure if that's what they were looking for or not.

There are no genre specifications -- only what they deem fits in with the general 'theme' of the book which is at this point unspecified. Harlan Ellison no doubt submitted a sci-fi story so I don't think it'll get you taken out.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
In case any of you doubted that indie writers are a bunch of morally degenerate bastards, this is what you're up against: http://bardsandsages.com/juliedawson/2011/09/02/author-ethics-research-notes-appendix-i/

edit - the rest of that piece and the other appendices are well worth a read, too.

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 7, 2011

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Rotten bunch, us.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

man, you know what's a bitch? Writing the next book.

I keep finding myself wanting to tie up loose threads from the first book rather than push the plot forward for the second.

Ugh.

Yeah, my sales have done well and reviews coming in are decent too (especially since my big format edit I did that finally got emailed to everyone by this last weekend), and while it's motivated me here and there for the third book it's the same time I got a new job that comes in at around 12 hours a day of work + commute.

Now that I actually am selling books and have a decent readership it's hard to get that last one in the trilogy out. Definitely no time for some of the shorts and CYOA ebooks I was planning as well which sucks.

As for steady sales, I kept a blog up for a good month or so with design documents, ideas, and setting specific stuff for my stories but in all that time I got two followers and one comment, so I maybe only update that once a month until I get an actual site going. I mainly keep to twitter throwing out 50/50 stuff about my day or neat links I find, and advertising for the books. When my books first came out I slapped them on Reddit, and then for the big revision I slapped them on there as well, and in July I posted to two different forums about the books but got little in the way of replies. I haven't done much advertising beyond that (tried a contest on the blog, failed utterly) but here's the breakdown of sales for this consistent level of advertising, if it helps anyone:

June: 10 Rogue's Bane (thanks friends and family :unsmith: )
July: 104 Rogue's Bane, 24 Unearthed Destiny
August: 294 Rogue's Bane, 102 Unearthed Destiny
September (so far): 58 Rogue's Bane, 33 Unearthed Destiny, on track so far to be a bit less than August

Come October as long as I get 3-4 more chapters done this month for book 3 and still aim for late February for a release I've decided that will be the month I have the contest of getting 1,000 copies sold in the month of October for the first two books, probably advertised on twitter, a new site for the novels, SA with banners, and whatever else I can think of.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 8, 2011

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Jesus Christ, Fenarisk. What are you doing to make that poo poo happen? I've sold like 10 so far. :P

Meanwhile, I redesigned my website while I was at home sick today. Now it looks more like it's, you know, FROM THE HORRIBLE FUTURE.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Site redesign looks really good.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Indie authors in the Northern VA / DC area, I am now writing freelance for Patch.com. Because I write, my local editor (Burke VA) wants me to do profiles on authors; I'm doing a couple already. This means that I will soon have the chops to do pieces on the local indie author scene, etc. Which means, hey, free press for you.

Let me know if you're interested, and I can put you on my list. Might end up being a column.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Let me know if you can ever cover the Boston area.

MattDaddy
Apr 10, 2006

You can do it. Run Mr. Pug, run.

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

Indie authors in the Northern VA / DC area, I am now writing freelance for Patch.com. Because I write, my local editor (Burke VA) wants me to do profiles on authors; I'm doing a couple already. This means that I will soon have the chops to do pieces on the local indie author scene, etc. Which means, hey, free press for you.

Let me know if you're interested, and I can put you on my list. Might end up being a column.

I would be interested, but I'm probably too far away. Let me know if you can use it though. Thanks!

MattDaddy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 22, 2013

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Might just be able to. I'll check up with my editor soon concerning the possibilities of writing for other regions.

Meanwhile, looks like I'm going to get some paperbacks put in my local Barnes & Noble. The manager of my local spot really wants to help indie authors, and says she'll buy a few to put out on the front tables once I get a computer listing error settled with CreateSpace. Get 'em in one B&N, you have a real chance of getting them everywhere else. I'll have to marshal what readership I have so far in trying to get it out there, I think.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Reporting in that I've broken 200 copies as of this month, 207 in point of fact. So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

I want to have sold at least 1000 by the end of the year.

:siren: SUPER BADASS NEWS EDIT :siren: I have just been telephoned by a friend who reports that she bought my book in paperback at a Borders' in Scranton, PA. So apparently, my book is now in stores. I had no idea! :psyboom:

:siren: EXTRA NEWS EDIT :siren: Okay, so I have the poop on getting your printed copies onto shelves at Barnes & Noble stores. Essentially, it's sales history. Example: my book is in paperback, and available for purchase on the Barnes & Noble website. Currently it's listed as a POD book due to it being orderable through CreateSpace - which means that there's no chance of it being ordered by stores. With an established sales history, however - that is, people actually ordering the book through the website - it will be switched over in time to an actual print copy. Then bookstores will purchase them, and then they shall be on shelves.

This is your way to go, if you want to go that way. Figures are vague, of course, but I get the idea that it doesn't take TOO many to start garnering interest.

Goat Bouillabaise fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 9, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
There's a little less than a week left to submit to Kindle All Stars Presents: Resistance Front!

You can also write a story between now and the 15th and submit it as well. Good luck!

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
I got my first interview, well sort of. On Twitter, every Friday from 2-4pm, there's #scifichat. A bunch of authors and readers get together and chat about Scifi. It has proven to be one of the best sales tools around as I always snag a few sales from every time I show up.

On Friday October 7th, I'm highjacking as its the day I release Barbarian Girl, my YA superheroine novel, which a teenage girl gains superpowers, turns into a roid feak, teenage angst follows, except if she doesn't snap out of it fast, her town will be devoured by an army of wendigos, led by her former tormentors.
Like ACAFD, it's also the first of a series because the Barb Girl World is as complex as K23, just based on our own this time.

The first half will be how to write superheroes, 3:00 interview, 3:30 Q&A.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Oh man where is the fantasy/pulp version of that :smith:

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

Fenarisk posted:

Oh man where is the fantasy/pulp version of that :smith:

Fantasy pulp version of Barbarian Girl, sorry Ebook only. It's actually a novella. The sequel will probably be full length though as Barb Girl is really the origin story.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

I think he means the chat.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

FingerbangMisfire posted:

I think he means the chat.
It would have helped if referred to what he was asking about.

There's a #fantasychat that is on sunday nights, but its open and unstructured unlike scifichat And Scifi chat is more than just scifi. Last week was horror, week before that was dragons. Next week is steam punk.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
I've been interviewed on blogs a few times. Normally, if you have reviewers/writers among your Twitter followers, an exchange can be done.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

I'd be down for a pulp one. I think we've all got writers & reviewers in our lists.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Roshi posted:

On Twitter, every Friday from 2-4pm, there's #scifichat.

2-4pm what time zone?

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Flopstick posted:

2-4pm what time zone?
Eastern Standard Time.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

The Independent Book Publishers Association puts out a newsletter that has some good information http://www.ibpa-online.org/

I got a copy of the latest issue through a friend and it had an interesting analysis: Basically, the most popular ebook titles are typically narratives - either fiction or biographies and so forth. This sounds pretty reasonable to me - my book, Zombies of the World, is fiction but written like a reference book. I can tell you that Kindle sales of it have been very low compared to direct sales of print copies and through distribution (The Barnes & Noble small press division accepted it for their stores)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I got accepted into a Halloween giveaway special on a blog called RedTash. My book is part of a free giveaway along with a contest where the grand prize is a new Amazon Kindle with 3G. Sadly, he's got enough authors to give away promotional copies, but you can at least join in the contest. It's really easy and there's multiple ways to enter. The deadline is October 16th for you to enter. If you do win, you'll also get free copies of all the books listed on the blog. :)

Here's the blog and special

Three days left to submit a story to Kindle All Stars Presents: Resistance Front!

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 13, 2011

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Any idea how long it takes to hear back about the Kindle All Stars dealie?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Any idea how long it takes to hear back about the Kindle All Stars dealie?

A week to two weeks. They have a lot of submissions to get through still.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Azure_Horizon posted:

I am also down for tagging exchange:

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Metropolis-Paean-Dreams-ebook/dp/B005HK8XQ6/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1313572741&sr=1-3

tags: alternate reality, dreams, philosophy, psychological thriller, science fiction

I just realized I had a few short stories I could submit but I don't know what kind of word count they're looking for. Do you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
5,000 words or less.

• Locked thread