Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I hate Black Beetle's voice. It's some guy forcing his voice really low. Why couldn't just hire a voice actor with a natural bass voice?

Edit: I take it back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc1QvI_llE0 :stare:

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Baron Bifford posted:

I hate Black Beetle's voice. It's some guy forcing his voice really low. Why couldn't just hire a voice actor with a natural bass voice?

You know I was thinking this whole time that Black Beetle was voiced by Michael Clarke Duncan, but apparently I was way off. Weird.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

You know I was thinking this whole time that Black Beetle was voiced by Michael Clarke Duncan, but apparently I was way off. Weird.

Even weirder, if they had the foresight to record all of his lines before he died last year.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Even weirder, if they had the foresight to record all of his lines before he died last year.

Well, remember that the episodes we are watching now would have aired a few months ago, had it not been for that weird hiatus, so all of his lines would have been recorded before he died last fall regardless. But it turns out it wasn't him anyway so it is neither here nor there.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Only 2 episodes left for Young Justice and Green Lantern? What a drag.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting this from the Young Justice thread in TVIV, because it's always fun to see voice actors having fun

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That is just absolutely wonderful :allears:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The last episodes of Green Lantern was great and I will sorely regret seeing this series go.

In the last episode of Young Justice there is this flashback sequence where Zatanna explains how she was able to free Jaime from Reach control - an entire retelling of the Blue Beetle history starting with Dan Garrett. It seemed forced and pointless, like a bunch of comic geeks who are too eager to adapt such trivia to screen. It's not that adapting 70 years of comic book backstory is necessarily a bad thing, it's just that it needs to be introduced at a proper pace. I've been a total comic geek for more than 15 years and I was really irritated by this sequence.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 6, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Baron Bifford posted:

The last episodes of Green Lantern was great and I will sorely regret seeing this series go.

Yeah, it took a few episodes for the animation style to grow on me, but I have enjoyed the series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

In the last episode of Young Justice there is this flashback sequence where Zatanna explains how she was able to free Jaime from Reach control - an entire retelling of the Blue Beetle history starting with Dan Garrett. It seemed forced and pointless, like a bunch of comic geeks who are too eager to adapt such trivia to screen.

Yeah it felt like they really wanted to justify what happened in that episode. I feel like it would have been better if Blue Beetle's origin was shown in a previous episode, instead of tacking on the scarab's history and his origin in one quick infodump.

It normally wouldn't bug me too much, but considering how there's only two episodes left and there's a ton of things left to wrap up, every minute counts.

But who am I kidding anyways? In the last episode I bet the Reach will be thwarted and it will end with the Light saying that everything went according to their plans. I'll be really surprised if the latter part isn't true, at the very least.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 6, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
That might have been intended as something they were going to put in the video game... which now isn't even coming out until after the show ends.

Good job, Cartoon Network.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Razer really was the focal point of the Green Lantern series, wasn't he? The main plot followed first his internal conflict between his own morals and Atrocitus's actions, and then as they moved on to the Manhunters and the Ant-Monitor, the focus was his romance with the robot who looked just like his dead wife.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SlothfulCobra posted:

Razer really was the focal point of the Green Lantern series, wasn't he? The main plot followed first his internal conflict between his own morals and Atrocitus's actions, and then as they moved on to the Manhunters and the Ant-Monitor, the focus was his romance with the robot who looked just like his dead wife.

He was very much modeled on Zuko von ATLA, not surprising considering who made the show. Bummer they didn't get another season.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Aya is also voiced by the actress who voiced Azula, and she goes totally Azula when she goes evil.

Does the theme of Green Lantern Animated somewhat remind anyone of the Pirates of Dark Water theme?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 7, 2013

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
They announced the premiere dates of the new Avengers and Hulk cartoons today, with Avengers Assemble premiering on May 26th in preview form, then starting weekly in July, and Agents of Smash premiering on August 11th. Also the description to the Hulk cartoon is cringe-worthy:

quote:

Hulk has long fought alone to protect a world that sees him as a monster, but his friend Rick Jones has taken it upon himself to film the world-saving exploits of Big Green and his team to change that image. In this never before seen team up of Hulk, his cousin She-Hulk, A-Bomb, Red Hulk and Skaar, Marvel's mightiest super heroes form an eccentric family living under one roof, working together to tackle threats that are too enormous for other heroes to handle. From trying to house break their giant red pet T-Rex to stopping Ego the Living Planet from crashing into the Earth, the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. must learn to balance Hulk-sized action with everyday family-sized problems.

:cripes:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If it's an admission the show will be kinda fun and have a sense of humor that doesn't sound so bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that sounds total poo poo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Paul Dini is doing it so I'll at least give it a chance.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Djarum posted:

Paul Dini is doing it so I'll at least give it a chance.

Isn't his name also on USM? That show is pretty awful.

Spiderdrake posted:

If it's an admission the show will be kinda fun and have a sense of humor that doesn't sound so bad.

After Ultimate Spider-Man, I am not sure I want another attempt at humor from what is likely the same group of people.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Dini's name is on 2 eps of USM.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

GLOSS posted:

to stopping Ego the Living Planet from crashing into the Earth,
Yeah, I'm watching that one at least.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

RevKrule posted:

Dini's name is on 2 eps of USM.

And I gave that show a shot.

From what I have heard from interviews with Dini that Hulk cartoon sounds like it is his baby. At least out of his mouth it sounds like it is going to be pretty good. But with Loeb running things who knows how badly it can be screwed up. I fear how badly the SHIELD TV series could be screwed up with him behind the scenes

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Djarum posted:

And I gave that show a shot.

From what I have heard from interviews with Dini that Hulk cartoon sounds like it is his baby. At least out of his mouth it sounds like it is going to be pretty good. But with Loeb running things who knows how badly it can be screwed up. I fear how badly the SHIELD TV series could be screwed up with him behind the scenes

I hope Whedon has tighter reigns over that show than him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You just made me imagine Loeb throwing his weight around in front of Whedon and Whedon simply stonewalls him into submission. I like my imagination.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ToastyPotato posted:

I hope Whedon has tighter reigns over that show than him.

That is what I am hoping. Whedon has a lot more pull right now. I just worry after a season when Whedon is off making Avengers 2 that Loeb will worm his way in and "improve" it. See examples of Lost, Heroes and everything else he has ever touched.

I can just imagine the Marvel people now, they forced him out of comics and gave him that TV job thinking he would just ruin cartoons that only kids would care about and now they have a big TV project around that directly ties into the movie projects. They have to be scared to death of him getting involved.

I am betting if these cartoons flop and the SHIELD show does as well as they are expecting I wouldn't be surprised if they politely shove him out the door.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Djarum posted:

That is what I am hoping. Whedon has a lot more pull right now. I just worry after a season when Whedon is off making Avengers 2 that Loeb will worm his way in and "improve" it. See examples of Lost, Heroes and everything else he has ever touched.

I can just imagine the Marvel people now, they forced him out of comics and gave him that TV job thinking he would just ruin cartoons that only kids would care about and now they have a big TV project around that directly ties into the movie projects. They have to be scared to death of him getting involved.

I am betting if these cartoons flop and the SHIELD show does as well as they are expecting I wouldn't be surprised if they politely shove him out the door.

The Whedon absentee scenario has me terrified, so thank for that nightmare fuel (it seems way too plausible.) But I am hoping you are right about the second scenario, where he gets edged out by successes much greater (and more recent) than his.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Djarum posted:

The second an "Agent Sam" shows up abandon loving ship.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Djarum posted:

Is USM doing well in ratings? Apparently Avengers: EMH wasn't doing well enough in ratings to continue.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is USM doing well in ratings? Apparently Avengers: EMH wasn't doing well enough in ratings to continue.

Not sure how well USM is doing, but it is important to note that one of the reasons EMH was cancelled was because they wanted an Avengers cartoon more in line with the movies.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Srice posted:

Not sure how well USM is doing, but it is important to note that one of the reasons EMH was cancelled was because they wanted an Avengers cartoon more in line with the movies.

While it might be a bad example, I don't think the MTV Spider-Man cartoon (which wasn't completely bad, but it was nothing amazing either) being tied into those movies really helped. It only lasted for a season, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

notthegoatseguy posted:

While it might be a bad example, I don't think the MTV Spider-Man cartoon (which wasn't completely bad, but it was nothing amazing either) being tied into those movies really helped. It only lasted for a season, right?

Are you nuts? That show was awful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah the MTV Spider-man show tanked because of the Uncanny Valley animation and an insanely long production time. I mostly remember it now as something Neil Patrick Harris did between Starship Troopers and Harold&Kumar.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I have no idea how the latest Young Justice got past censors.

Ra's gets impaled and blood just flies everywhere.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

I have no idea how the latest Young Justice got past censors.

Ra's gets impaled and blood just flies everywhere.

I was hoping that Miss Martian was going to TK stab Vandal Savage with that sword, then like 30 seconds later he'd get up and fight some other heroes, then she'd keep having to do it throughout the fight while he kept getting more and more annoyed with being stabbed.

Of course, they probably just got away with Ra's the once by having Ubu immediately give his whole "I'll resurrect you master so you technically weren't REALLY just brutally murdered on screen, kids in the audience!" spiel, immortality slapstick gags would've been a total nonstarter.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 10, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah the MTV Spider-man show tanked because of the Uncanny Valley animation and an insanely long production time. I mostly remember it now as something Neil Patrick Harris did between Starship Troopers and Harold&Kumar.

That show was so loving bad, the animation looked like GTA cut scenes. Was it really supposed to be in film continuity?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

That show was so loving bad, the animation looked like GTA cut scenes. Was it really supposed to be in film continuity?

I sure don't remember Harry Osborn looking like Nick Carter or Peter living in a gigantic luxury penthouse that looks like it costs 10 000 a month in the movies. That show was like Smallville for Spider-man, and not in a good way. And it looked like poo poo.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Lurdiak posted:

I sure don't remember Harry Osborn looking like Nick Carter or Peter living in a gigantic luxury penthouse that looks like it costs 10 000 a month in the movies. That show was like Smallville for Spider-man, and not in a good way. And it looked like poo poo.
I think they advertised it as being in movie continuity but it really, really wasn't. I think the second episode had Connors become the Lizard and fall to his death, and then the next year Spider-Man 2 came out and Connors was there and it was never mentioned that time he became a horrible reptilian monster and died. Which seems like a very strange thing after which one can just shrug it off and resume his day job.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I'm pretty sure that the biggest movie connection was that both Peter and Harry were living at college together...
AND
MCD as Kingpin. Which was amazing.
I really liked the MTV Spider-Man cartoon and recently re-watching it on Netflix I still do.
For one reason only: NPH.
That man IS Peter Parker AND Spider-Man, a dynamic really hard to pull off.
But it does have the worst animation of all time. (I'm re-watching Beast Wars right now which came out like 5 years earlier and is waaaay better)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Chaltab posted:

I think they advertised it as being in movie continuity but it really, really wasn't. I think the second episode had Connors become the Lizard and fall to his death, and then the next year Spider-Man 2 came out and Connors was there and it was never mentioned that time he became a horrible reptilian monster and died. Which seems like a very strange thing after which one can just shrug it off and resume his day job.

It's the same bullshit they pulled with the new movie. It was also being pushed by the producers as being in continuity with the older movies. I do not understand why they felt they needed to do this with two different projects, but the people running the brand management at Marvel generally seem really awful at their job most of the time so what can you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ToastyPotato posted:

It's the same bullshit they pulled with the new movie. It was also being pushed by the producers as being in continuity with the older movies. I do not understand why they felt they needed to do this with two different projects, but the people running the brand management at Marvel generally seem really awful at their job most of the time so what can you do?

What? Amazing Spider-Man was always advertised as a reboot.

• Locked thread