Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012
I thought it worked fine, but maybe I'm just a weeaboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ibuki is already my favorite character. Conversely, Tsumiki's personality is already getting tiresome. I hope she's more confident with medical emergencies than with conversation.

In DR 1, there were the introductions, then Monobear got everyone to come to the gym, where she told them the only way to escape the school was to kill someone. Nothing happened and then she gave them motives to kill.

We've already met Usami before the introductions, and there was no talk from her about a way to leave the islands. It might be interesting if the first murder is unprovoked.

Frostyyy
Feb 24, 2012

You're going to die.

Her sprites are fantastic.
I had her pegged as something music related but definitely not light music, that's a surprise.

Nurse makes sense for Mikan though. Her voice is pretty adorable.
And...

quote:

Mikan Tsumiki
Height: 165cm / Weight: 57kg / Chest: 89cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: May 12
Hates: Things that are too big
Title: Super High-school Level Nurse

...She likes toilets? :psyduck:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

That's an interesting face. I've only ever seen that either when the character is suppose to be an imp, and never as an anime expression. Something new every day eh?
Still, anyone with enough cultural context could put 2 and 2 together and figure out our SHSL-GarageBand gal is going to be the impish mischievous sort. Or do Japanese imps have different attributes?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Ibuki is pretty much everything Leon ever wanted to be. No wonder her design reminded some people of him.

Mikan reminds me of Fukawa, too, except that she blames herself when she's innocent instead of blaming everyone for nothing. I almost expect her to have a second personality, except that she resurrects people instead of killing them. Speaking of which, is she SHSL enough to cure the dead?

SingerOfW fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 18, 2012

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Mulderman posted:

She kinda reminds me of Jughead.

Burgers are going to be the motivation for murder. She is going to get those burgers.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

orenronen posted:

Well, we don't have the same problem in English, do we? And she's not talking to us over a bad telephone connection, where western people sometimes use a similar method.

I was going to put this in my translation notes wrap-up, but in a nutshell: This is one of those jokes that just won't translate for cultural reasons, but we had the meta-reason not to change it too much because it's a spoken line we provide a recording of. What's left is a nonsensical self-introduction that works with Ibuki's personality, even if it doesn't quite translate the original joke.

It works, but if you had to transliterate it, I would say do something like take the pronunciation from words where the English pronunciation does not fit the spelling, like quay for "ki". It feels like something out of Willy Wonka.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wait, what's that in the background?...

quote:

Put the PSP on the ground.....

:stonk:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fell Fire posted:

It works, but if you had to transliterate it, I would say do something like take the pronunciation from words where the English pronunciation does not fit the spelling, like quay for "ki". It feels like something out of Willy Wonka.

That doesn't work at all though? The entire joke is that the pronunciation example she is using is from her own name, rendering the entire thing utterly pointless. That would be the normal way to help explain how something is pronounced. I got the joke, but purely through watching too much anime.

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
I honestly have trouble believing Ibuki there can be so hyperactive, and yet all the cola over there remains intact. (Hifumi would've been in heaven right now if he saw all of the cola right over here in sequelland!)

That said, what kind of life could Mikan have lived to be so passive and apologetic for everything? Something tells me that despite having a SHSL title, she must have screwed something up, something really big in her youth, in order to have developed such a personality. She doesn't strike me as a victim of serious bullying in the way Fukawa was, she really comes off as having done something really, really bad and/or scary and that it's haunted her.

Her art does make her look exceedingly clumsy, though, but then again Naegi's artwork back in the first Dangan Ronpa had him slipping out of one shoe, didn't he?

EDIT: Gonna add this here instead of making another post, but her hair also reminds me of unwrapped gauze, given her rectangular hair strands - I think it's more to further convey the 'nurse' motif than anything.

spd12 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 18, 2012

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Huh, wow. I wasn't expecting Ibuki to be SHSL light music. I was fully expecting punk. She has some amazing sprites though, and you can't go wrong with Koshimizu voicing someone. And Mikan certainly seems awkward... Sure hope she isn't as on edge when she's patching someone up. That would only end in a SHSL lawsuit. :v:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Prison Warden posted:

That doesn't work at all though? The entire joke is that the pronunciation example she is using is from her own name, rendering the entire thing utterly pointless. That would be the normal way to help explain how something is pronounced. I got the joke, but purely through watching too much anime.

I figured it's something like when you spell your name over the phone. Like "That's Ibuki. I for Ibuki, B for Buki, U for Uki, K for Ki, and I for Ibuki."

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RedMagus posted:

That's an interesting face. I've only ever seen that either when the character is suppose to be an imp, and never as an anime expression. Something new every day eh?
Still, anyone with enough cultural context could put 2 and 2 together and figure out our SHSL-GarageBand gal is going to be the impish mischievous sort. Or do Japanese imps have different attributes?

Does Igor (persona) count? I mean, you're even making social links!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

This is the most ridiculous character art yet. Everyone else's is striking some pose and here she's just OH poo poo I SLIPPED SYRINGES EVERYWHERE- MY SOCK!?!? No wonder she's bandaged up.

Anyways, I like Hinata a lot. He manages to have more personality than Naegi did. Nagito continues to somehow be even more suspicious here. I mean really:

orenronen posted:

It looks like we won't have to worry about food and supplies, at least for now.
What do you mean, “at least for now”?
I...It's just a figure of speech.

Just think... even a little cut could slowly get more and more infected, until you die... all because you offended Tsumiki-san.

I really want to see what they do with him, but I think it's pretty dang clear that he isn't Naegi. The more we see of him, the more his personality completely diverges.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Overlord K posted:

Huh, wow. I wasn't expecting Ibuki to be SHSL light music. I was fully expecting punk. She has some amazing sprites though, and you can't go wrong with Koshimizu voicing someone. :v:

From how Oren described what the term "light music" means in Japan it could easily include punk and/or hardcore.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

slowbeef posted:

I figured it's something like when you spell your name over the phone. Like "That's Ibuki. I for Ibuki, B for Buki, U for Uki, K for Ki, and I for Ibuki."
Oren just said that that was a translation he didn't use due to reasons.

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012

RedMagus posted:

That's an interesting face. I've only ever seen that either when the character is suppose to be an imp, and never as an anime expression.

I think I've seen it once or twice in anime, usually when the character is being overly prideful.

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

From how Oren described what the term "light music" means in Japan it could easily include punk and/or hardcore.

For example, in K-On, the old light music club that one of the teachers was in played metal.

SOL_Cambot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 18, 2012

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I got the Ikubi joke just fine, and I'm far from any sort of japanophile. She was being silly, and saying each of those things were from her own name. Haha, wacky behavior. I don't understand why this is a sticking point?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RedMagus posted:

Cultural differences. It took me a little bit to realize the suddenly long nose wasn't actually referring to Pinocchio and therefore to lying.

Then again, a person whose nose grows whenever they lie would make for a very simple trial.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I very much like Mioda already, she has some great sprites and I like her personality.

Oh and about Mikan, I asked a friend of mine about the liking toilets thing and he said that people who are bullied like toilets because its a safe place to hide in schools. I don't know if that is really a thing in Japan but would make sense with her personality. :shrug:

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.

orenronen posted:

Surfboards...

...Not that I'm in the mood for water sports.

Please tell me that I wasn't the only person to think of :nws: these kinds of "water sports" :nws: (also possibly :nms:)

Although, considering what series this is, I honestly wouldn't put it past the writers :gonk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
It's bad to say this, but I really hope the Nurse dies first, because her whole gimmick is already wearing me ragged.

Although, if she DOES stick around, I'm going to favor her as a likely killer candidate as well--a nurse would have plenty of knowledge and likely access to tools to kill somebody discretely. Underneath all those tears and fears may be a psycho killer. Qu'est Que C'est.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what's that in the background?...

:stonk:

I was thinking more like Zero from Virtue's Last Reward. You know, the other Spike Chunsoft game where a crew of "unique" people wake up in an artificial environment and are forced to carry out the whims of a mad mascot character.

(Except Zero III is nowhere near as entertaining or endearing as Monobear.)

draconianlaw
Oct 21, 2012

Loaded with logic. Literally.
Huh, Ibuki's name is that direct of a reference? That... doesn't exactly give me hope for her survivability game. Makes her a bit too much of a joke.

Still, her exuberance is pretty fun so far. And even if she is a ridiculously direct reference, she might end up having the well roundedness of character to go the distance. Compared to most of everyone else we've seen so far, that is.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

IceBorg posted:

Oh and about Mikan, I asked a friend of mine about the liking toilets thing and he said that people who are bullied like toilets because its a safe place to hide in schools. I don't know if that is really a thing in Japan but would make sense with her personality. :shrug:

Oh. I just figured that it was due to her getting asked "What are your likes?", completely freezing up for several minutes, realizing she had to say something, and then just blurting out the first thing that came to mind.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

BearJazz posted:

Please tell me that I wasn't the only person to think of :nws: these kinds of "water sports" :nws: (also possibly :nms:)

Although, considering what series this is, I honestly wouldn't put it past the writers :gonk:

Well considering how he was talking about surfboards I'd say yeah, you probably are the only one to think about those kinds of water sports

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Madz posted:

The nurse girl's manerisms and poses reminds me A LOT of Fukawa.

Also...anyone else feeling that DR2 is being a bit too heavy handed on the zanyness of it's characters...? I feel like the characters exagerations are way way above the level the DR1 ones were...

This game certainly seems to crank up the anime-ness well past the first game. I'm really interested to see what they do with it. Somehow I don't think any of this is unintentional. They're probably (hopefully) going to be severely loving with these massive anime stereotypes and I'm looking forward to seeing how twisty it gets :)

Ditocoaf posted:

I got the Ikubi joke just fine, and I'm far from any sort of japanophile. She was being silly, and saying each of those things were from her own name. Haha, wacky behavior. I don't understand why this is a sticking point?

People in this thread certainly seem to be jumping down orenronen and Fedule's throats at every opportunity with regards to translation. I don't get it either, I got the joke just fine. Hopefully once the story gets going people will get too caught up by the plot to sperg over every nuance of the Japanese and English languages.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RedMagus posted:

She looks like Usopp from One Piece there.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man, Mikan's schtick gets annoying fast. At least Ibuki's more interesting, although I'm starting to get nervous that DR2 decided to go with the "woah can you believe how WACKY everyone on this island is?" approach. So far the only character that actually seems like more than a 2D caricature is the mechanic dude, although I'm sure Gundam will get some development later.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.

Bland posted:

Well considering how he was talking about surfboards I'd say yeah, you probably are the only one to think about those kinds of water sports

Hey, you don't know what the developers are into.

Guess it's just one of those things that was seared into my brain that I will never be able to get rid of.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Revolver Lolcat
Aug 9, 2012
I dunno, I kinda like Mikan's character. Obviously not as it is right now, but it has so much potential for back story and plot development. If anything, I think the poor girl needs a hug (though I suspect she'll probably go catatonic from it).

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Mikan is probably going to be too cowardly and self-flagellating to be involved in any early murders; I'm predicting she lasts at least until the third trial. Which I can't say I'm too happy about, as I hate the archetype. Played standard she'll be infuriatingly self-deprecating at every turn, going out of the way to interject on how worthless she is. :sigh:

Ibuki...well, she automatically loses points with me for being a K-On reference :argh: Other than that, a gregarious personality and a mostly irrelevant skillset make her a total wildcard. She could be anywhere from first victim to endgame survivor. Unlikely as the Despair of the group, if there is one again.

All that said, this is Dangan Ronpa, so I'm looking forward to seeing the game subvert or completely disregard expectations.

I'm also getting slowly creeped out by Nagito. He's so friendly and open and yet some of his lines are getting more and more morbid...

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

orenronen posted:

Well, we don't have the same problem in English, do we? And she's not talking to us over a bad telephone connection, where western people sometimes use a similar method.

I was going to put this in my translation notes wrap-up, but in a nutshell: This is one of those jokes that just won't translate for cultural reasons, but we had the meta-reason not to change it too much because it's a spoken line we provide a recording of. What's left is a nonsensical self-introduction that works with Ibuki's personality, even if it doesn't quite translate the original joke.

I don't understand why you had to leave it as "from" instead of "like" though? I understand that you can't break it up by letter because of the kanji form, but saying it's "from" makes it sound like she's talking about how her name was invented rather than how it's spelled. I originally thought it was a joke on how her name is a Frankenstein of K-on names. " 'Ibu' like in 'Ibuki Mioda'" maintains the original Japanese meaning fine and is easier to parse in English.

Sccountay
Oct 12, 2012
I'm kinda curious what Fedule's next commentary will say about Ibuki now. Specifically in regards to her speaking in third person, because that's just going to be a mess to read going forward. And on the localization front, it doesn't translate well at all. What to Japanese people looks like a trait to define your characters as cute or childish, translates to possibly every other group of people as a trait to define your characters as egotistical, or uh, just plain annoying.

So I'm guessing since it's still in there, it must have some plot relevance?

RainbowCake posted:

Hopefully once the story gets going people will get too caught up by the plot to sperg over every nuance of the Japanese and English languages.

That's partially what'll happen, and partially it'll be because Fed and oren will finally be on good footing. There's a reason the way Sakura's text was translated changed in the first game's LP. And DR2 is 10x as anime as the first so there's bound to be a lot more difficult translation changes this time around.

They want feedback on their changes, as evidenced by all their translation commentaries. If it leads to a better LP, I'm all for translation nitpicking. What would you prefer instead, more low content posts ala the first 10-15 pages? It's not like we really can, or should, be making any theories about what'll happen in the game at this point in time, so all we really have is translation talk. I'm just glad we're getting this out of the way early.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

theshim posted:

Unlikely as the Despair of the group, if there is one again.

Ohhhhh there's no way the dead supermodel could be the villain of this game!

I agree with you though, I doubt they'd do something so seemingly unlikely again. Since we're immediately aware of 16 students, I'd go so far as to say whoever is behind the students' transplantation to this desert island is not one of them.

theshim posted:

I'm also getting slowly creeped out by Nagito. He's so friendly and open and yet some of his lines are getting more and more morbid...

Ridiculous hairdo aside, Nagito's personality isn't so eerie to me. He, uh, reminds me of myself, which isn't something I often say of fictional characters.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Who cut your hair?! Why isn't any of it the same length?!

Man, I'd be perpetually upset too if someone cut my hair that badly.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Since the liking toilets thing is probably do to bullying, my best guess is that hair is also because of that.........man I now feel really bad for her :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Please tell me that someone uses a surfboard as a murder weapon at some point in this game.

• Locked thread