Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
And yet none of them are Grim Fandango. Though that would never work as a kid's movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Snofeld posted:

And yet none of them are Grim Fandango. Though that would never work as a kid's movie.

I still have yet to play that. Does it hold up?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I still have yet to play that. Does it hold up?

It's very very hard to get running on a modern system so good luck playing it. I've watched it as a video and I thought it was alright, but I don't like playing adventure games in general.

The voice acting and writing are incredible at the very least, and the visuals are about as strong as they could've been. I just have some silly nerdy plot hangups I guess.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also released today, a teaser for Song of the Sea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ejpl3QFuU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It looks and sounds so pretty...

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Macaluso posted:

Also released today, a teaser for Song of the Sea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ejpl3QFuU

I am excited for this. I loved Secret of Kells.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Maleficent is a clumsy attempt to make Sleeping Beauty more interesting and relevant and keep the Disney Princess line from dying on the front end, as it basically has with Snow White. Obviously it's terrible, but the kids in the theater I was at seemed to absolutely love it, so maybe it'll have its intended effect anyway.

Angelina Jolie in a skintight outfit with heels and angel wings battling an evil king with a chainwhipsword. The "true story" at last

Cinderella's next. Which largely-forgotten actress will be in a catsuit this time? Will Lady Tremaine have a bondage getup and/or death knight helmet? We can only hope so.

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 1, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cinderella is next?

They just can't stop trying to be Gregory Maguire!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

It's very very hard to get running on a modern system so good luck playing it. I've watched it as a video and I thought it was alright, but I don't like playing adventure games in general.

The voice acting and writing are incredible at the very least, and the visuals are about as strong as they could've been. I just have some silly nerdy plot hangups I guess.

LucasArts adventures were such a great era in computer games. I wish there were still great adventure games being made.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

LucasArts adventures were such a great era in computer games. I wish there were still great adventure games being made.

Try The Walking Dead.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

computer parts posted:

Try The Walking Dead.

Doesn't have bizarre nonsense puzzles. :smugjones:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Try The Walking Dead.

That series is about as far removed from classic style adventure games as they can get without being a different genre. I've heard good things about Deponia, maybe give that a whack if you're itching for LucasArts style adventure games being made today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That series is about as far removed from classic style adventure games as they can get without being a different genre.

Yeah, I guess "not having bullshit puzzles that auto fail you" would be pretty far removed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I guess "not having bullshit puzzles that auto fail you" would be pretty far removed.

We're talking about Lucasarts, not Sierra.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Waffleman_ posted:

We're talking about Lucasarts, not Sierra.

Lucasarts games were about as removed from Sierra ones as Telltale from LucasArts though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, in that they were good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That series is about as far removed from classic style adventure games as they can get without being a different genre.

It's the best evolution of classic style adventure games you're going to get without being boring, frustrating clickfests and/or games that look and play like they were made in the '90s.

Aren't most of Telltale literally ex-Lucasarts employees anyway?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

McDragon posted:

Also, I finally got round to watching How to Train Your Dragon. :swoon: Perfect example to me of why it's sometimes good for a film adaptation of a book to go almost entirely its own way. Really don't see the book making as good a film. It's a great book, but really wouldn't translate well if it was just thrown on to the screen. Also it's funny to me that Toothless in the film is a super special snowflake dragon whereas book Toothless is notable only for being The World's Shittest Dragon. Film Toothless was wonderful and I want him :3:

Agree completely. One thing I really liked was that there were no "evil enemies" in the film. Stoick isn't a bad person. He's just a traditional man with a lot of responsibility. Even the huge dragon-thing at the end is just a creature following its natural instincts. Plus, there were a few scenes with some surprising depth and subtlety to them.

The first is Astrid's discovery of the cove and Toothless, along with the subsequent flight. In a way, this is the movie's point of maximum tension and danger for Hiccup, Toothless and Astrid. At this point in the movie, Astrid isn't Hiccup's fantasy girl. She's his angry chief rival in dragon training who has every reason to expose his "cheating" and "treachery" to the other Vikings. If she manages to do this, Toothless will be killed and so will Hiccup's dreams of being anything other than the Chief's weakling screwup of a son. Hiccup has to stop her from sounding the alarm. If it comes down to it, he and Toothless can kill her. So there are three lives hanging in the balance in this scene when Hiccup chooses persuasion over violence.

The second part of the scene, the dragon-flight, is also really interesting because it can't really occur in the way the it appears to play out. Toothless can't just disobey Hiccup and take off on his own. Dragon and rider have to function in concert for there to be flight. The movie has fully established that fact previously. So, Toothless is not really out of control. Which means that Hiccup is in control and all his "No! Stop! We need her to like us! Thanks for nothing, you useless reptile!" are just cover for a fairly masterful bit of psychological manipulation. By having Toothless "go crazy" Hiccup forces Astrid to cling to him as her own stable point during the chaos of the flight. Then, after squeezing the adrenaline into her system, Hiccup whipsaws the mood of the flight from terror to peace and beauty, letting Astrid feel the wonder of dragon-flight the way he feels it and thus persuading her not to betray him. It's a masterful piece of seduction all the more for not being sexual in nature.

Finally, there's the part where Hiccup wakes up to the new reality of Berk, seeing dragons and people together in "harmony." While it's certainly somewhat "happily ever after" (and the TV series greatly downplays this aspect of things), it's still an understandable endpoint that's enabled by the Viking's warrior culture - the same thing that was the main source of Hiccup's difficulty in the movie. Another kind of culture might have ended with releasing the other dragons and allowing Toothless to stay with Hiccup. However, along with being a brave, selfless, sacrificial act, Hiccup's defeat of the giant dragon provided the warriors of the Viking warrior culture with an object lesson in just how effective in battle a trained dragon and his rider could be. The Vikings haven't just learned a lesson in peace and tolerance. They've seen what a dragon and rider can do in battle and they want to be able to do that as well.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 2, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

johntfs posted:

The second part of the scene, the dragon-flight, is also really interesting because it can't really occur in the way the it appears to play out. Toothless can't just disobey Hiccup and take off on his own. Dragon and rider have to function in concert for there to be flight. The movie has fully established that fact previously. So, Toothless is not really out of control. Which means that Hiccup is in control and all his "No! Stop! We need her to like us! Thanks for nothing, you useless reptile!" are just cover for a fairly masterful bit of psychological manipulation. By having Toothless "go crazy" Hiccup forces Astrid to cling to him as her own stable point during the chaos of the flight. Then, after squeezing the adrenaline into her system, Hiccup whipsaws the mood of the flight from terror to peace and beauty, letting Astrid feel the wonder of dragon-flight the way he feels it and thus persuading her not to betray him. It's a masterful piece of seduction all the more for not being sexual in nature.

Eh Toothless is capable of SOME flight on his own. Just not for very long and not very gracefully (he manages some flight when he saves Hiccup from the monstrous nightmare. That particular arena is on a little part of the island Toothless wouldn't have been able to just run to). And his little joyride where he's loving with Astrid is anything but graceful. I can't read that scene as Hiccup doing that intentionally cause I don't think Hiccup would've been that manipulative. Toothless just wants to gently caress with Astrid for a little bit

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Check out Broken Age then, I massively dug it but, I basically fellate Doublefine's games nonstop so my opinion isn't really that unbiased.

Pick posted:

Maleficent is a clumsy attempt to make Sleeping Beauty more interesting and relevant and keep the Disney Princess line from dying on the front end, as it basically has with Snow White. Obviously it's terrible, but the kids in the theater I was at seemed to absolutely love it, so maybe it'll have its intended effect anyway.

Angelina Jolie in a skintight outfit with heels and angel wings battling an evil king with a chainwhipsword. The "true story" at last

Cinderella's next. Which largely-forgotten actress will be in a catsuit this time? Will Lady Tremaine have a bondage getup and/or death knight helmet? We can only hope so.

Maleficent will probably be dumbest movie I'll watch this year, and I've seen Godzilla and Transcendence.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Pick posted:

Cate Blanchett is Lady Tremaine so not forgotten by a long shot.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Macaluso posted:

Eh Toothless is capable of SOME flight on his own. Just not for very long and not very gracefully (he manages some flight when he saves Hiccup from the monstrous nightmare. That particular arena is on a little part of the island Toothless wouldn't have been able to just run to). And his little joyride where he's loving with Astrid is anything but graceful. I can't read that scene as Hiccup doing that intentionally cause I don't think Hiccup would've been that manipulative. Toothless just wants to gently caress with Astrid for a little bit

It might not have seemed elegant, but that was some really controlled flying. You have tight turns, sudden direction shifts and even barrel rolls. There's no way Toothless could perform those maneuvers without Hiccup's coordinated aid. As for Hiccup, he's spent much of the previous portion of the movie being deceitful and manipulative. He's gotten ahead in dragon training by studying Toothless and concealing the techniques he's used to control/defeat the other dragons. Granted that Hiccup isn't exactly Machiavelli, but "shake up Astrid with some daredevil maneuvers and then show her how lovely and cool it is to go flying on dragonback" is something that's probably well within his wheelhouse.

Meanwhile, I just don't see Toothless deciding to screw with Astrid. One of the things I really liked about Toothless was that they portrayed him as being highly intelligent, but being highly intelligent on an animal level. Toothless is capable of feeling and showing emotions like fear, anger, affection, curiosity, sadness and loyalty. He doesn't really seem to be capable of deceit except when directed by Hiccup.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

johntfs posted:

Meanwhile, I just don't see Toothless deciding to screw with Astrid. One of the things I really liked about Toothless was that they portrayed him as being highly intelligent, but being highly intelligent on an animal level. Toothless is capable of feeling and showing emotions like fear, anger, affection, curiosity, sadness and loyalty. He doesn't really seem to be capable of deceit except when directed by Hiccup.

Toothless is very, very obviously based on a cat, and cats are widely (and rightly) known to be complete assholes, therefore it's totally reasonable to assume he would gently caress with Astrid because that's what cats do.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Phylodox posted:

Toothless is very, very obviously based on a cat, and cats are widely (and rightly) known to be complete assholes, therefore it's totally reasonable to assume he would gently caress with Astrid because that's what cats do.

All right, that's a fair point. I still can't get around the concert problem.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

johntfs posted:

All right, that's a fair point. I still can't get around the concert problem.

That one's easy. Toothless sends them into a death-spin, Hiccup scrambles madly to shift gears and keep them from getting killed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

It's the best evolution of classic style adventure games you're going to get without being boring, frustrating clickfests and/or games that look and play like they were made in the '90s.

Aren't most of Telltale literally ex-Lucasarts employees anyway?
I remember when I grew up I loved those Humongous Entertainment games like Putt Putt because you could click on literally anything and something would happen, man those were the days.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Triplets of Belleville is on Netflix Instant in the US, if you love animation you have no excuse to not watch this movie.

e. The movie is French but it's pretty much a silent film, you can turn off the subtitles and lose nothing except a whole bunch of "[music in background]" and "[blowing whistle]" cues.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 2, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Phylodox posted:

That one's easy. Toothless sends them into a death-spin, Hiccup scrambles madly to shift gears and keep them from getting killed.

Yeah, maybe, but I just don't see it. Toothless seems both too smart and too ignorant to do something like that. He's a smart animal. He knows that trying to force his own way against Hiccup will just cause them to crash. On their first big flight Hiccup fell off of Toothless' back and they both began plummeting to their deaths before being reunited in mid-air and stabilizing their flight in time. Meanwhile, I don't see Toothless understanding the psychology of "chicken" well enough to deliberately send them into a death-spin.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Check out Broken Age then, I massively dug it but, I basically fellate Doublefine's games nonstop so my opinion isn't really that unbiased.

This. Oh, the script! Oh, the designs! Oh, the voice acting! :allears:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Triplets of Belleville is on Netflix Instant in the US, if you love animation you have no excuse to not watch this movie.

e. The movie is French but it's pretty much a silent film, you can turn off the subtitles and lose nothing except a whole bunch of "[music in background]" and "[blowing whistle]" cues.

I had the pleasure of seeing The Triplets of Belleville in the theatre and the best part about it was watching a mother drag her two kids out in a huff when the opening scene had a topless woman dressed like an African tribesperson swaying her giant breasts. Oh the French. :allears:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

johntfs posted:

I don't see Toothless understanding the psychology of "chicken" well enough to deliberately send them into a death-spin.

I refer you to my previous "cat" post.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I had the pleasure of seeing The Triplets of Belleville in the theatre and the best part about it was watching a mother drag her two kids out in a huff when the opening scene had a topless woman dressed like an African tribesperson swaying her giant breasts. Oh the French. :allears:

That's Josephine Baker.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, there's like two lines of spoken dialogue in the entire movie. If you go in expecting plot or anything you might be disappointed though, it's mostly just something to watch for the visuals and animation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What? There's totally a plot. Its a nonsensical, contrived, French-as-poo poo plot, but its a plot.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think the only spoken dialogue in the movie is even in English and the only subtitle I recall is the title itself. Sylvain Chomet is a huge Jacques Tati fan, so both Triplets and The Illusionist have very little dialogue. It's refreshing since the animation movement is fantastic. Like some of the golden age work at Disney.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

raditts posted:

Yeah, there's like two lines of spoken dialogue in the entire movie. If you go in expecting plot or anything you might be disappointed though, it's mostly just something to watch for the visuals and animation.

The visuals, the animation and the amazing soundtrack.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

johntfs posted:

Yeah, maybe, but I just don't see it. Toothless seems both too smart and too ignorant to do something like that. He's a smart animal. He knows that trying to force his own way against Hiccup will just cause them to crash. On their first big flight Hiccup fell off of Toothless' back and they both began plummeting to their deaths before being reunited in mid-air and stabilizing their flight in time. Meanwhile, I don't see Toothless understanding the psychology of "chicken" well enough to deliberately send them into a death-spin.

For what it's worth, the DVD commentary on this scene has one of the animators wondering about how Toothless was managing to do the crazy flying, and if Hiccup was helping or not. And one of the writers just sort of giggles sheepishly, pauses and says "...probably best not to think too deeply about that bit..."

It's still an interesting scene though, and can be read either way. Me, I just like the idea of Toothless being a mean-spirited little poo poo for a few minutes; as a sort of callback to the personality he has in the books (I'm reading them with my small nephew and they are rather jarringly different to the film. So much potty humour...)

johntfs posted:

However, along with being a brave, selfless, sacrificial act, Hiccup's defeat of the giant dragon provided the warriors of the Viking warrior culture with an object lesson in just how effective in battle a trained dragon and his rider could be. The Vikings haven't just learned a lesson in peace and tolerance. They've seen what a dragon and rider can do in battle and they want to be able to do that as well.

Am kind of sad they don't seem to be heading down this route with the sequel (as far as I can tell from the trailer). Vikings on dragonback versus the might of the Byzantium Empire would have been a hell of an entertaining movie, though probably a lot less kid-friendly than Dreamworks is aiming for.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Irisi posted:

For what it's worth, the DVD commentary on this scene has one of the animators wondering about how Toothless was managing to do the crazy flying, and if Hiccup was helping or not. And one of the writers just sort of giggles sheepishly, pauses and says "...probably best not to think too deeply about that bit..."

It's still an interesting scene though, and can be read either way. Me, I just like the idea of Toothless being a mean-spirited little poo poo for a few minutes; as a sort of callback to the personality he has in the books (I'm reading them with my small nephew and they are rather jarringly different to the film. So much potty humour...)

By my take on it, Hiccup and Toothless have to work in concert. So, they're both being mean-spirited little shits to Astrid for a few minutes.

Irisi posted:

Am kind of sad they don't seem to be heading down this route with the sequel (as far as I can tell from the trailer). Vikings on dragonback versus the might of the Byzantium Empire would have been a hell of an entertaining movie, though probably a lot less kid-friendly than Dreamworks is aiming for.

You might just get your wish. From the Variety review of How To Train Your Dragon 2:

Just as Hiccup has aged, so too has the target audience for the new film, which is dark enough to satisfy the “Game of Thrones” crowd without alienating kids along the way. And where the earlier movie teased the idea of mortality, costing Hiccup a leg in lieu of his life, this time around, DeBlois commits to the idea that dangerous acts have serious consequences: Major characters will be asked to make huge sacrifices to protect the ones they love. In that sense, “Dragon” aspires to join the ranks of epic poetry, resulting in scenes that make “Bambi” and “The Lion King” look like mere cartoons.

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/cannes-film-review-how-to-train-your-dragon-2-1201181707/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I'm guessing that either Hiccup's dad, Hiccup's mom or Astrid is gonna die.

Irisi posted:

I dunno, in the trailer it looked like the dragons and vikings were going up against a huge army led by that dreadlock'd fellow

• Locked thread