Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

epic.i'm excited. but, I think that had to have been on purpose, there is no way they would host files outside of an intranet that you have to vpn into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE PENETRATOR posted:

epic.i'm excited. but, I think that had to have been on purpose, there is no way they would host files outside of an intranet that you have to vpn into

indie gaming

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

theultimo posted:

It doesn't help WoD is the worst expansion ever for WoW , gutting dailies, flying, and professions for a Farmville clone.

and yet FFXIV is gaining subs and about to release an expansion to an MMO that shouldn't exist. It's tipsy turvy world in MMO right now.

Well dailies sound like fingernail torture for MMOs, but they got rid of flying? I quit before the first expansion but flying always seemed like the most boss thing they ever added.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jon Do posted:

I for one am dissapointed it's not a hoax designed to defraud people... because its a kind of game I feel like theres no point playing without dropping several thousand dollars on. Which is a precedent I find terrifying.

I still think people deserved to get all their money taken on this. I know I am a terrible person. But they spent thousands, or tens of thousands, on internet spaceships that had yet to be coded. In a game that did not yet exist.

Star Citizen actually coming out might be a worse punishment than it not, which would be a blessing in disguise for most. I'm imagining lonely, loose-pocketed, goobers flying around a black 3d void on their massive, empty spaceships, occasionally bumping into others of your kind where you click your keyboard however you're supposed to.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah and although I disagreed with the reasoning it actually made sense; I was wondering if you had a reasonable defense of Star Citizen as well

tbh I really have no interest in Star Citizen, it's mainly a joke since there's already like a billion people making "haha star citizen is a scam" posts.. I legitimately do like the ending of Mass Effect 3 though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jon Do posted:

I for one am dissapointed it's not a hoax designed to defraud people... because its a kind of game I feel like theres no point playing without dropping several thousand dollars on. Which is a precedent I find terrifying.

I still think people deserved to get all their money taken on this. I know I am a terrible person. But they spent thousands, or tens of thousands, on internet spaceships that had yet to be coded. In a game that did not yet exist.

Hopefully it teaches people that money does not make a game good, and spending money does not make a game fun. But it probably won't do that because people are dumb as poo poo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Star Citizen actually coming out might be a worse punishment than it not, which would be a blessing in disguise for most. I'm imagining lonely, loose-pocketed, goobers flying around a black 3d void on their massive, empty spaceships, occasionally bumping into others of your kind where you click your keyboard however you're supposed to.

the game will apparently be more of a software suite than a game as the promised fps portions of the game are a module created by a contracted studio that may or may not require a separate executable.
source: listening inattentively to a bombcast sometime in 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't the beta for the FPS module supposed to be released soon

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Well dailies sound like fingernail torture for MMOs, but they got rid of flying? I quit before the first expansion but flying always seemed like the most boss thing they ever added.

The best part about the flying thing is that the people who really hated flying seemed oblivious to the fact that taking something away from people after like seven years of them having it is way worse than it just never having existed to begin with

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They'll put flying back in once the Jungles of Tanaan aren't just placeholder assets, I bet. All the expansions make you wait to re-unlock flight, this one just happens to be rushed out the door and unfinished so they had to just forbid it until they could get their poo poo together.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The best part about the flying thing is that the people who really hated flying seemed oblivious to the fact that taking something away from people after like seven years of them having it is way worse than it just never having existed to begin with

Who hated flying? I hated flying when I played, because it was on pre-set paths that took you on absurdly long travel paths so you could enjoy the scenery of a warped plane with a texture wrapped on it. Still, it beat the alternative of like walking my dumbass all the way there. Flying would have made things much simpler and convenient and fun.

Is flying just gone from the expansion or entirely removed?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Khanstant posted:

Who hated flying? I hated flying when I played, because it was on pre-set paths that took you on absurdly long travel paths so you could enjoy the scenery of a warped plane with a texture wrapped on it. Still, it beat the alternative of like walking my dumbass all the way there. Flying would have made things much simpler and convenient and fun.

Is flying just gone from the expansion or entirely removed?

Nah they aren't allowing flying mounts in the newest content for a variety of reasons that aren't worth discussing here. Flight masters are still a thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

They'll put flying back in once the Jungles of Tanaan aren't just placeholder assets, I bet. All the expansions make you wait to re-unlock flight, this one just happens to be rushed out the door and unfinished so they had to just forbid it until they could get their poo poo together.

All MMos are rushed out the door and unfinished.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jon Do posted:

:agreed:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I hope there's a ship in Star Citizen named the Spruce Moose.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

I hope there's a ship in Star Citizen named the Spruce Moose.

There is. I'll sell it to you for $10,000. Payment now, delivery on launch.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I also can't wait for all the Star Citizen ships to gently caress up on launch and self destruct or for some guy piloting one to disconnect and his vacant ship to smash into something causing a catastrophe. I mean they're charging real money for insurence for digital items and their replacement methods probably won't be up and working. I mean those are very detailed models and everyone has a huge loving polycount for Computer E-Peen which means nothing will be optimized.

MMO launches are like the first day of Disneyland's Opening EVERY TIME.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It would be hilarious if someone destroyed all those ships on the first day. Like ganking Richard Garriot in Ultima.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Star Citizen's launch will be the singularity.

e: guarantee you one of the first videos after launch will be some guy who bought a $10,000 spaceship destroying it forever. The video will be exponentially more contentious and talked about than the guy who micowaved a 3DS

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Nooooope they doubled down and from Drenor on, no flying.

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/World-Warcraft-Won-t-Bring-Back-Flying-Mounts-Future-Expansions-72091.html

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hahaha. What a bunch of goobers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

What's even better is that the guy who created Vanilla Diablo 3 is running World of Warcraft now.

As in the Vanilla Diablo 3 with only the campaign to play, had the real money auction house, and every time a player found an easy way to get a legendary they destroyed the area from being able to be farmed within hours. He wanted a bare minimum of 35 hours on average to farm just to get a single legendary item. Oh and also everything 1 or 2 shot you especially in act 2.

His whole mentality is that you have to work to have fun while playing a videogame.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 27, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

turning videogames into work is how you manufacture "achievement" and "success"

some games are like they're designed for people who hate their 9-5 office job to come home and not enjoy their leisure time

back to the skinner box mines... gotta hit that next milestone and watch those numbers go up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are these poison flying insects in act 2 that shoot these little * things at you and in the original game they just made you die pretty much immediately.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

sounds just like the same act of the prior game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jon Do posted:

sounds just like d2a2

nah thats the lightning beetles

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

ah poo poo i meant the little pygmies was that act 3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jon Do posted:

ah poo poo i meant the little pygmies was that act 3

yeah fetish shaman fire breath was crazy strong. good times with a good game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beaver bother is not a bonus stage, it is an experiment in frustration

e; Even though I refused to use save states for any part of the game until now, I decided it was worth it just this once because holy loving poo poo

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 27, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alain Post posted:

I love Mass Effect 3.

I'm going to reinstall because it looks like goons still play multi.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Actually no I'm not because the citadel dlc is still like $30.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Actually no I'm not because the citadel dlc is still like $30.

I think it's $15, and as a fan of the series, I think it was worth it. It was fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so i'm digging the poo poo out of AssCreed4 (ps4 version, natch)

the thing is, i'm past the intro stages of the game, i mean i have like 20% completion and i've barely started doing any collecting or anything, and i legitimately have no clue if the dude i'm playing as is a Templar or an Assassin or if that story is even going on in this game, despite the fact that he apparently can do the super secret society assassin contracts? i don't know, who cares, naval battles rule and pirates are awesome and the game is gorgeous.

but at the same time i know if i keep playing eventially it will end and i know there isn't another game in the series that is anything like it at all, and the others are all the same old Brotherhood formula

also is anyone really supposed to believe James Kidd is a man or is it a kind of "nudge nudge wink wink" kind of deal, because either way doesn't strike me as very historically accurate

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

His whole mentality is that you have to work to have fun while playing a videogame.
A good representative of Blizzard as a whole, then.

Hey, remember Lost Vikings 2, how it had good puzzle design, funny jokes when you hosed up a lot, and characters that felt fun to play with a controller? Where'd it all go wrong?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Great Joe posted:

A good representative of Blizzard as a whole, then.

Hey, remember Lost Vikings 2, how it had good puzzle design, funny jokes when you hosed up a lot, and characters that felt fun to play with a controller? Where'd it all go wrong?

Warcraft 3.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Warcraft 3.
But that's just Starcraft with a weird hat on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Warcraft 3.

"What is 'the RTS with the best single player campaign', Alex"

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

precision posted:

"What is 'the RTS with the best single player campaign', Alex"

Red Alert 2

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Hahaha. What a bunch of goobers.

I like this loving nimrod's comment

quote:

aaron JP • 16 hours ago
Why? I thought the nail went in when they put flying in, the world lost some of the wonder, so if anything this took a nail out for me

I don't know if a person could possibly be more wrong about game design than to suggest that vanilla WoW was better than Burning Crusade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really funny, now that the vanilla content isn't there anymore, BC is by far the most horrendous part of the game. You go from really fun and cleverly designed quest chains with really convenient fast travel to being dumped into a hideous mess of red polygons.

I can understand how some people think flight takes some of the "exploration" out of the game since it lets you cover a bunch of ground immediately, but the game's designed so that you can't fly until you've already explored a lot of it anyway. Taking it out just makes no sense to me.

I played too much wow and now I have opinions about its current direction even though I'll never play it again.

• Locked thread