Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Hey guys, really sorry if this is either asked alot, or the wrong thread to ask in.

Where abouts could I find a comprehensive list of what games are available for download from the EU PSN? I'm toying with the idea of picking up a PS3, since they're pretty darn cheap around here. But I'm currently living in Japan with middling Japanese so I'd be limited to digital download and whatever games I can get in Japan that come with English language options.

Is it worth it getting one? Or is it, as I suspect, not really a good idea?

EDIT: drat, I thought this was a general thread. Dumb mistake. Sorry all!

Calexio fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

G4 is reporting on rumors that Metal Gear Solid 5 was shown behind closed doors at SDCC and they have some nice blurry photo's that are completely not mocked up to "prove" it...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/725956/metal-gear-solid-5-reportedly-revealed-at-san-diego-comic-con/

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

G4 is reporting on rumors that Metal Gear Solid 5 was shown behind closed doors at SDCC and they have some nice blurry photo's that are completely not mocked up to "prove" it...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/725956/metal-gear-solid-5-reportedly-revealed-at-san-diego-comic-con/

Konami UK says these are fake. https://twitter.com/KonamiUK/status/224824735974948864

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
This is kind of a big deal for me! One of the older Japanese PS3 games, Malicious is finally coming to the NA PSN after coming out like 2? years ago in japan and 5-6 months ago in europe.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/11/malicious-awakens-on-psn-july-24th/

You play as a male or female. It's basically an arcade style boss rush game, but every boss gives you a new powerup to use megaman style. There are 6 bosses total. Most boss powers also have special interactions with other bosses. Every time you defeat a boss, the rest of them also grow more difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJeUEnxgn6M

Everyone buy it so we get the updated Vita port over here as well.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 16, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Yeah Bro posted:

I found a place to buy a copy online, unfortunately it costs a good $70. Shame there's no way to get any of GHM's other soundtracks, I'd love a No More Heroes 2 soundtrack but unfortunately they only pressed 1000 of them.

Yeah that sucks, and as much as I like it I don't $70 like it. I guess I could just go listen to a few tracks on YouTube or something. Goddammit.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

G4 gets the hot scoop again. :what:

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
How come no one has remade Bushido Blade or done an hd version. God drat

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

reallyprettymad posted:

Deadliest Warrior, especially with slice mode, scratches the itch pretty well. It's worth a grab.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

The Grimace posted:

Alright! I beat that Extreme MGS2 Harrier after a billion tries. Now the only big worries I have are Vamp, the Soldier Fights, and the Ray Armada. ... :smith: It's not any easier at all from here on, is it.

I suppose I'll ask this here though, since I'm sure I will have trouble with it- when Vamp's HP gets to around 1/3rd, he enters a sort of "berserker" mode where he runs and flips around on the catwalks. It's pretty hard to dodge him like this, and even harder to attack him. Are there any good strategies for what to do at this point? At this point, all I'm expecting is to use a billion grenades and cross my fingers that I'll get lucky again after a bunch of tries.

edit: Got Vamp after an hour and a half of battling. Pretty much won thanks to luck, like I said. :shobon: I hope I won't have a problem with the Rays. I'm usually pretty good with them. The fight itself is kind of fun. Leg shot, head shot, repeat.

Not much use now, but you can cheese it by hanging off the back ledge. Vamp can't hit you and will end up walking over and doing a knife slash, which you can jump over without taking damage and attack. Rinse and repeat.

The rays aren't too bad when you have a rhythm down for attacking them as it's pretty much rinse and repeat. The problem is keeping it up for 20 of them, as if you mess up they have a couple of one-hit kill attacks.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The best solution to Vamp running toward you is to hit him with the Nikita.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

reallyprettymad posted:

Getchoself a Japanese PSN card and buy them both off Japan's PS Store. They still kick rear end.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

reallyprettymad posted:

They seem convinced that everyone hated the lack of a heath bar thing, when I have never met anyone who didn't love the stupid fun that it generated.

edit: I wouldn't mind so much about being remade graphically if Bushido Blade wasn't one of the ugliest games on the PS1.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 16, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
"No attacking each other until we cut down all of these bamboo stalks."

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Nails posted:

I did this too, and I don't think I'd do it again either. There is one cool thing about MGS2 on extreme though. Once you finally beat the Rays, which will make you hate life, you get to do the Solidus fight which is probably the hardest thing in the entire goddamn game. But after spending a long time on it, I remember it turning into this sort of transcendent experience that revealed how awesome the sword play could've been if it was utilized more. Because Solidus will force you to become perfect.

When I finally beat that battle, and had all of the dog tags, I felt like it was worth it, because it felt like conquering something.

Did I play a different game? Solidus is a pushover on all difficulties. Dodge his unblockable attacks, block everything else, approach him from the left and attack. He's the easiest final boss in the series and the easiest part of Extreme.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 16, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tokyo Jungle has been out for a while now in Japan. What's the general consensus now that mostly everyone who bought it, has played through the whole thing?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlindNinja posted:

It took a couple hours but I'm starting to really enjoy Infamous 2. It's too bad that the new Cole sounds like such a whiny douche.

The problem with Infamous 2, to my mind, is that Cole is a better character in the good playthrough, but the girls are both better characters in the evil playthrough. It's super annoying too, because you can play as a nice dude who helps people out, or an evil sociopath who kills people at random, and then you get to the end and neither of those fits either end. There aren't good or bad ends, there are self-sacrificing and pragmatic ends. The evil end does not fit the tone of mass murdering psychopath Cole at all, and it's super easy to imagine good Cole taking the evil end.
I really wish there had been none of the moral choice stuff, just a well written, cohesive story with fully fleshed out characters, until you get to the end and have to decide.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

boom boom boom posted:

The problem with Infamous 2, to my mind, is that Cole is a better character in the good playthrough, but the girls are both better characters in the evil playthrough. It's super annoying too, because you can play as a nice dude who helps people out, or an evil sociopath who kills people at random, and then you get to the end and neither of those fits either end. There aren't good or bad ends, there are self-sacrificing and pragmatic ends. The evil end does not fit the tone of mass murdering psychopath Cole at all, and it's super easy to imagine good Cole taking the evil end.
I really wish there had been none of the moral choice stuff, just a well written, cohesive story with fully fleshed out characters, until you get to the end and have to decide.

The morality gimmick seems slightly less ham-fisted in 2, at least so far. I wish they would just let you mix and match your powers though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlindNinja posted:

The morality gimmick seems slightly less ham-fisted in 2, at least so far. I wish they would just let you mix and match your powers though.
They still ask you to beat up street musicians to get evil points. Seriously what?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Samurai Sanders posted:

They still ask you to beat up street musicians to get evil points. Seriously what?

I was talking about the main storyline. But yea, that part is hilariously odd.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah what the gently caress was that fight. The end of the game made you a god at MGS2, when I was younger I would buy a game and play through it like 10-11 times but when I beat MGS2 on Extreme I just went around school telling everyone I did it and never played it again.

The Ray fight had me doing some crazy cartwheel > missile cancel stuff, pulling out the sword to block machinegun fire, and by the time I could finally beat it I didn't get hit once the whole time. Then I had to do that loving mash triangle bit until my finger fell off.

Do people know that when you fight Solidus and he shoots those missiles, you can slash all of them in half with a perfectly timed sword combo? Well guess what, you're gonna have to know :v:

Do the VR missions expand on the gameplay that much? Especially the sword bits, so underused. I'm thinking of picking it up for Vita when I finish Peacewalker.

Thanks for this! I've actually been finding it easier to just roll dodge out of the way of the Rays' machine guns because the sword takes too long to brandish. But that Solidus info will definitely help me in a couple hours- thanks!

As for VR missions, I've been waiting to do those and Snake Tales after I finish Extreme. I wanted to do something a bit easier and more enjoyable before I decide to put the game down.

Nibbles141 posted:

Not much use now, but you can cheese it by hanging off the back ledge. Vamp can't hit you and will end up walking over and doing a knife slash, which you can jump over without taking damage and attack. Rinse and repeat.

The rays aren't too bad when you have a rhythm down for attacking them as it's pretty much rinse and repeat. The problem is keeping it up for 20 of them, as if you mess up they have a couple of one-hit kill attacks.

Oh, thanks for this, too. I'll atleast keep that in mind for future playthroughs. The Rays have been giving me grief so far- I'll get through about five of them before they will eventually overwhelm me and I'll always die from one of the two leg-based missiles that shoot out.

I don't mind dying in this fight so much though, since quite honestly I feel like this fight is more of an endurance test than a test of luck. The Rays have very few attacks so it's easy to understand what they will be using next. As long as I don't get too close, they won't use the jaw-based laser attack. The air-to-surface missiles can be dodged just by constantly moving around. The machine gun can be avoided literally by just running backwards on the platform. The only issue I ever have is those drat leg missiles, and that's only because I get careless- I understand how to avoid them, but I never give myself enough time.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Tokyo Jungle has been out for a while now in Japan. What's the general consensus now that mostly everyone who bought it, has played through the whole thing?

Thinking that most people who bought that game have played all the way through it is a really wild assumption. It is intensely repetitive and, honestly, a bit dull.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
From what I've heard it's just a score attack game, see how far you can get through the same small group of levels, over and over again.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

Emalde posted:

Malicious is finally coming to the NA PSN

Hmmm... Interesting. Never heard of this before, but after watching some more gameplay and seeing that it's gonna be $9.99, I think I'm sold.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm baffled it took so long for Malicious to drop in North America. It's been in English for over a year now and Europe's had it for like 6 months.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of a game finally coming out, Ratchet & Clank Collection is coming in North America on August 28 for $30, both on Bluray and on PSN. It will come with a demo for the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

I'm surprised it's not $40 like the other remastered collections.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
30 dollars? Well that's another title i'm sure to buy. :)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've heard that there's a memory leak issue with New Vegas, and after the save file gets to a certain size the game goes into seizure and becomes unplayable. Is this true, a hyperbolic overreaction, or just plain false? I want to know before dropping dough on the edition with all the DLC included. Thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Filthy Hans posted:

I've heard that there's a memory leak issue with New Vegas, and after the save file gets to a certain size the game goes into seizure and becomes unplayable. Is this true, a hyperbolic overreaction, or just plain false? I want to know before dropping dough on the edition with all the DLC included. Thanks.

There are several problems with the Bethesda version of Gamebryo which are the more obvious on the PS3 (Skyrim also shares many of those problems). Save file bloat is indeed one of them. In my experience, it does not happen too often, but it can indeed happen. If you have the choice, get the game in its home turf: the PC. The mods alone make it a better choice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I found that late game in New Vegas can occasionally have some absolutely horrendous bouts of frame rate drops. Like slideshow. You can solve that by hammering on the PS button to bring up the XMB then quitting the game. Unfortunately, New Vegas never got a patch like Skyrim to alleviate it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's true, and it happens when the save file grows at around 10MB. The game usually slows down around locations with many people in a small area and it happens after around half an hour of gameplay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Saoshyant posted:

There are several problems with the Bethesda version of Gamebryo which are the more obvious on the PS3 (Skyrim also shares many of those problems). Save file bloat is indeed one of them. In my experience, it does not happen too often, but it can indeed happen. If you have the choice, get the game in its home turf: the PC. The mods alone make it a better choice.

Most of the problems in Skyrim are fixed now though.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

When I downloaded Rainbow Moon, it was a Demo and an Unlock Key. No idea why the demo isn't separately listed on the store.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Fallout 3 Game of the Year version ran on my PS3... but it would freeze. It would freeze a lot, particularly outside in the Wasteland. I don't know if the PS3 could take all of the load the game offers or what, but I had to make sure to save very often for all the times it would force my PS3 into seizing up. New Vegas I didn't have issues with, but I also haven't played the DLC, so my opinion is moot.

Also, I did it! MGS2 on Extreme! :woop: Thanks for your tips, guys! Solidus sucked until I realized you could block his sword attacks in his second form. I did a lot of restarting because of that, and because my health was still at its base from the Ray fight. Thank goodness you can kneel to recover HP when you're in bleeding state. Think I'll have to take a break before I do the other trophies. That really burned me out.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Saoshyant posted:

I don't have a PC that can run the game (my notebook runs off the graphics of a Gen 2 i5 Processor). I picked up a copy of Fallout 3, partly for nostalgia, partly to see if the game runs alright. I already had a reset on the GOAT exam, so things are looking grim...

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

When I downloaded Rainbow Moon, it was a Demo and an Unlock Key. No idea why the demo isn't separately listed on the store.

Does that mean you can download it to try without paying for right away?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

When he bought the game it showed up on the downloads page as a Demo and an Unlock Key. Gotham City Impostors does the same sort of thing.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sleepstupid posted:

They appear after payment, so no.

No one knows when the demo of Rainbow Moon by itself will come out. European region doesn't have it, even though the store staff there said it was.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's really stupid. I can't believe how many companies have the balls to put out a $15 game with no demo. How many people would buy something like that?

So I've started playing Lego Batman 2... it's got voice acting. Yeah. This ain't no Lego game. :colbert: And just like every Lego game ever, all cutscenes are unskippable and long as hell. Quite annoying.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Yechezkel posted:

Speaking of a game finally coming out, Ratchet & Clank Collection is coming in North America on August 28 for $30, both on Bluray and on PSN. It will come with a demo for the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

I'm surprised it's not $40 like the other remastered collections.

That's one series I regret not playing. I might pick this one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

So I've started playing Lego Batman 2... it's got voice acting. Yeah. This ain't no Lego game. :colbert: And just like every Lego game ever, all cutscenes are unskippable and long as hell. Quite annoying.

They're all skippable once loading has finished.

Just like every Lego game.

• Locked thread