Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Seconding that Lords of Waterdeep is a really well done app, even on iPhone. I've never played any board game to iOS conversions before but it's just like playing the game. They have tutorials as well for any new players.

Offline against AI or online (email registration required) with variable turn limits.

In as HandsomeRay if anyone wants to get some games in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

BrainDance posted:

Yeah but it's still not a great game.

I can take a dump and call it Pokemon but that doesn't make it any good. It's kind of like Final Fantasy IV fan fiction or something.

And FFVI was better anyway.

FF8 was the best. You know why? You had to play it during your teens to understand to relate to the angst.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I'm not touching my views on the best Final Fantasy with a ten-foot pole. I would throw a fist full of money for chocobo hot and cold on the iOS
So how many other goons are still playing Hunter Island? I like it, and it scratches that pokemon-knockoff itch but gently caress grinding for good rank rare monsters.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I just downloaded Empire. It's pretty fun but I'm a bit surprised at how easy it is to get on a roll.

It bills itself as you struggling to survive and make headway against insurmountable odds but on my third or fourth try I was just flying ahead of the AI opposition. The game has a kind of 100 VP "ending" (Basically well done for founding a successful Empire!) but it is possible to continue going and there are achievements for going above and beyond but I don't feel like there's going to be much gameplay progression beyond my little process of expand, drain resources, aggressively stomp AI nests.

I guess the one thing that will add a bit of replayability is the fact that there are three possible emperors to choose from at the start with different buffs and abilities. I've stomped it with the senator so I guess I'll give the warlord and wizard a try. So far I don't think it's quite meriting the five stars Pocket tactics gave it. Probably more like four stars.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Empire is great, but ultimately it's just a score attack/survival mode so I find it hard to get too invested in it.

Space Hulk is coming to iPad on December 5th. $10 or local equivalent. Mixed reviews on PC, but I'll still be getting it because it's motherfucking Space Hulk. Has cross platform multiplayer with the PC version.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This looks interesting - Ubisoft are bringing an Assassin's Creed naval combat game to iOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jLHqFygVVA

More info here: http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:21-121020&ct=tcm:6-231-32

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

webmeister posted:

This looks interesting - Ubisoft are bringing an Assassin's Creed naval combat game to iOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jLHqFygVVA

More info here: http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:21-121020&ct=tcm:6-231-32

That looks interesting, wonder how much it will be like Pirates! though.

Also, I used to really like Barrage / Scorched Earth on the PC ages ago, anyone know of a similar games for the ipad?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Worms, of course. I'm not sure how faithful the ports are, though. Looking it up and it seems there are several versions ported. Generally Worms Armageddon remains a perennial favorite, although I'm not sure how well it plays with touch controls.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody have anything to say about the actual game of Lords of Waterdeep?

I really liked ascension but couldn't get into Agricola.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's a very similar game to Agricola in many ways - the main difference is that it's a lot simpler and less punishing. So if the reason you don't like Agricola is the constant feeling that you're totally screwed, then you'll probably like Lords of Waterdeep - it's a very good example of the genre. If you don't like Agricola for other reasons, you might want to skip Lords of Waterdeep as well.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So how many other goons are still playing Hunter Island? I like it, and it scratches that pokemon-knockoff itch but gently caress grinding for good rank rare monsters.

I am still playing and having fun. The online PVP has reward tokens that you can use to upgrade a monster to a higher rank

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Anyone else playing the new Galaxy On Fire rts? So far it plays like those browser based "online" alliance games but I kind of like it. We should get a goon alliance going unless I already missed it pages back.

http://appshopper.com/games/galaxy-on-fire-alliances

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shachi posted:

Anyone else playing the new Galaxy On Fire rts? So far it plays like those browser based "online" alliance games but I kind of like it. We should get a goon alliance going unless I already missed it pages back.

http://appshopper.com/games/galaxy-on-fire-alliances
How pay-to-play is it? Based on the price of 'free' and the variety of IAPs for credit booster, credit doubler, XP doubler etc, I have to assume it's good for about a day's worth of play before you hit a wall.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

DrManiac posted:

Anybody have anything to say about the actual game of Lords of Waterdeep?

I really liked ascension but couldn't get into Agricola.
I'm pretty 'meh' towards Agricola also, it's ok, but like pumpinglemma mentions the constant feeling of just getting by is not as much fun as you'd think. I am a huge fan of Ascension (let's play, I have all the expansion packs- gt=porktree).

All that leading up to my really enjoying Lords of Waterdeep - you can make a few mistakes and not totally screw yourself (ala Agricola), you have a nice mix of strategy and a little luck (like Ascension), and it's fun. Get it, I'm just learning but there's a bunch of goons playing and it's a good time.

Also, WTF Playdek, it's 2013 and I still can't chat with opponents in your games.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

TACD posted:

How pay-to-play is it? Based on the price of 'free' and the variety of IAPs for credit booster, credit doubler, XP doubler etc, I have to assume it's good for about a day's worth of play before you hit a wall.

I've started a guy and am working up.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

TACD posted:

I'm unsure really. I haven't seen the need to spend the credits. You can only use them to instantly finish build times. Travel time and cool downs cannot be sped up which is where the majority of the strategy is given that people cannot attack your home system.

The xp doubler is permanent and costs $.99 so I assume that's the actual "purchase price"

Shachi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 26, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GTA San Andreas comes out in December, and will support iOS7 controllers so it'll actually be vaguely possible to play and enjoy.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

The Kins posted:

GTA San Andreas comes out in December, and will support iOS7 controllers so it'll actually be vaguely possible to play and enjoy.

:aaaaa: It's awesome they're finally bringing it out, especially since the game is so massive. Probably the best GTA game of them all.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
And a quick note for anyone who hasn't played it before: eat enough food to get the main character obese and all his incidental dialogue changes to reflect that he's now a lardarse. Fat CJ is the best CJ.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Jeez - Galaxy on Fire: Alliances is a great example of what happens when developers panic and try to make something free-to-play without having any idea of how or why various things work. It sure is pretty though!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

devilmouse posted:

Jeez - Galaxy on Fire: Alliances is a great example of what happens when developers panic and try to make something free-to-play without having any idea of how or why various things work. It sure is pretty though!

Yeah, Fishlabs apparently hit a real bad spot and had to fire a bunch of staff and all that? It's never a good sign.

GOF2 was a pretty nice looking game, though. Kinda hope they patch controller support or just port the expansions to PC, but I doubt either will happen if they're busy scrambling with half a studio trying to support Alliances.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Psion posted:

Yeah, Fishlabs apparently hit a real bad spot and had to fire a bunch of staff and all that? It's never a good sign.

I feel extra bad for them because doing a super slick Travian / Ikariam clone to go up against Game of War and the Kabam games could actually work (assuming they have the budget to buy the users and numbers to support it), but the game isn't good enough. Lessons learned for them, I suppose. It's unfortunate because GoF 1 and 2 were pretty fun.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

The Kins posted:

So that means games up to 2004 are playable on iOS.

Blows my mind. In what year are we playing GTA 4 on an iPad?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If the iPad Air can't handle it, I'm sure the next gen one will be able to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

If the iPad Air can't handle it, I'm sure the next gen one will be able to.

It's really loving close.

Listed requirements for PC GTA IV is a 1.8ghz processor and 1.5gb of memory. The Air comes in at 1.4ghz and 1gb.

They could probably get it to run if they cut some assets. But I'll guess that next year's hardware will beat the requirements by a good margin.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think you can compare specs like that since the processor architecture is different.

I'd imagine that GTA 4/5 on an iPad would require some serious compromises like no AA or filtering and some crazy LOD modifications.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Also keep in mind that GTA4 was a technical disaster on the PC and the minimum specs were only "playable" in the vaguest sense of the word. You needed a pretty beefy computer at the time to even come close to good framerates.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Even on a now modern computer I wouldn't call the GTA4 experience "smooth." That game is a glitchy, technical wreck.

e: which is also why Red Dead Redemption is never getting a PC port. it's even worse behind the scenes and barely works on the consoles as it is

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also depends a lot on whether the iPad is playing at native resolution.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yodzilla posted:

e: which is also why Red Dead Redemption is never getting a PC port. it's even worse behind the scenes and barely works on the consoles as it is

I will never stop being sad about this.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Surely the ipad would need more dedicated graphics hardware (specifically focused for gaming) before running something strenuous like GTA IV?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Worms, of course. I'm not sure how faithful the ports are, though. Looking it up and it seems there are several versions ported. Generally Worms Armageddon remains a perennial favorite, although I'm not sure how well it plays with touch controls.

You'll throw your phone at something when you lose a winning game by jumping forwards into water, instead of back-flipping. It's not unplayable, but it's frustrations abound.

Samara posted:

So that means games up to 2004 are playable on iOS.

Blows my mind. In what year are we playing GTA 4 on an iPad?
Caveat: 2004 PS2 games. The PS2 was ageing in 2004. It's pretty drat good, but it's still a good bit behind "bleeding edge" from 10 years ago. It's PC release barely taxed even mid-range integrated graphics of the time. A lot of current iOS games actually look better, though none come close to it in terms of content.

Something like GTAIV, or FPS games from a couple of years prior, are a long way from playable on mobile just yet.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 27, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How is the ipad Baldur.s Gate version? I've never played any of the BG, IWD, Planescape games and really want to finally break down and do it. Is the ipad a good enough representation of them or is it a poo poo port?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

TraderStav posted:

How is the ipad Baldur.s Gate version? I've never played any of the BG, IWD, Planescape games and really want to finally break down and do it. Is the ipad a good enough representation of them or is it a poo poo port?

I really liked it. Ran great on the iPad 4, but only if I closed other programs. If I didn't it would still run well except when anyone cast an AOE spell. Then it would slow to a crawl for the duration of the spell. I also had an issue with clicking a certain spot in the expansion even while zoomed in (Yeah, you can zoom into the action for better clicking control), but I don't think that was really a major issue and just my dumb luck. The controls took some getting use to, but I think it was handled well.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Khablam posted:

Caveat: 2004 PS2 games. The PS2 was ageing in 2004.

Yeah, this is pretty relevant. GTA:SA was released in 2004, but it was running on 2000-era hardware. That's the more relevant consideration.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

If anyone else is playing Galaxy On Fire:A I made an Alliance. Search Goons On Fire

belac42
Nov 21, 2011

Shachi posted:

If anyone else is playing Galaxy On Fire:A I made an Alliance. Search Goons On Fire

My name is fleetdog42

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

Necroneocon posted:

FF8 was the best. You know why? You had to play it during your teens to understand to relate to the angst.

I've only played the first 8 FF games and 8 was the only one I really didn't like out of the bunch. Gameplay was fine but the story sucked in my opinion.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lol there's a Ron Burgandy game out in the App Store.

Actually quite a few in TA's latest new releases update look pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dragonrah posted:

I really liked it. Ran great on the iPad 4, but only if I closed other programs. If I didn't it would still run well except when anyone cast an AOE spell. Then it would slow to a crawl for the duration of the spell. I also had an issue with clicking a certain spot in the expansion even while zoomed in (Yeah, you can zoom into the action for better clicking control), but I don't think that was really a major issue and just my dumb luck. The controls took some getting use to, but I think it was handled well.

Thanks! I think I will check this out. Really been trying to scratch my AD&D itch and may as well with one that's highly rated!

• Locked thread