Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
So Jick has confirmed that the next step for the Plinth hasn't been implemented yet. But Riff has said that there is a puzzle that hasn't been solved yet and that the one person who would first answer it would get something and affect other players too.

He did not say what that was, but that everything we had tried with the Plinth had been useless.

What the hell could it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet 60091
Sep 28, 2007

The lucky person wins a free plate of their choice.
I applied to the clan as Girthy.

edit: Thanks that was quick!

Prophet 60091 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 18, 2008

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Prophet 60091 posted:

I applied to the clan as Girthy.

^ Hooverphonic? :v:

And you're in.

Whoever you are, DannyDevito, you need to post.

Prophet 60091
Sep 28, 2007

The lucky person wins a free plate of their choice.

Chococat posted:

^ Hooverphonic? :v:

And you're in.

Whoever you are, DannyDevito, you need to post.

Thanks! And yes, Hooverphonic. :v:

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

tripwood posted:

So Jick has confirmed that the next step for the Plinth hasn't been implemented yet. But Riff has said that there is a puzzle that hasn't been solved yet and that the one person who would first answer it would get something and affect other players too.

He did not say what that was, but that everything we had tried with the Plinth had been useless.

Have you tried tossing a barrel at it?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

WeidenHammer posted:

I can trade for it if anyone has one. or just borrow it long enough for the tattoo and give a modest gift in return.

I just got one you can borrow. What's your ingame name?

WeidenHammer
Jan 6, 2007

Braincloud posted:

I just got one you can borrow. What's your ingame name?
I just sent you a PM.

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
Man, this is why I love KoL, somewhat, there's something we don't know yet :D

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
I applied as LordGeos

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Ok, dumbass question, but is there any reason why IE should be NOT showing all of the info when I click on an item? It seems to cut off before the last line, and there's no scrollbar.

(I could just switch to Firefox, but FF seems to have a few issues of its own.)

WeidenHammer
Jan 6, 2007

Nomenklatura posted:

Ok, dumbass question, but is there any reason why IE should be NOT showing all of the info when I click on an item? It seems to cut off before the last line, and there's no scrollbar.

(I could just switch to Firefox, but FF seems to have a few issues of its own.)
look in the bottom right corner. you'll notice along the bottom there is a magnifying glass and a number, then a tiny arrow. click on the arrow for the zoom in or out levels. The tinier you make the writing, the more that will fit inside the pop up window. You may have to do that occasionally when there isn't a good fit.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
LordGeos you are in

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Applied as Lorrac.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Braincloud posted:

Wee! Just got the Order of the Silver Wossname after completing the Mysterious Island quest. That was a nice burn of a few days' turns.

Also, as a discobandit, is there a better weapon than my epic Shagadelic Disco Banjo? I've got a bunch of other weapons but the Moxie multiplyer looks pretty hard to beat. I do have a chrome crossbow I equip during rollover.

I think I screwed up my chances of getting that. I should have killed one on either side before doing any sidequests, so I'd have an odd number by the end, but I didn't think of that so I did one sidequest on either side first. Anyone know if there's any chance of salvaging it?

I've had a lot of luck with the hero drops at least, even the orange peel hat.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

I think I screwed up my chances of getting that. I should have killed one on either side before doing any sidequests, so I'd have an odd number by the end, but I didn't think of that so I did one sidequest on either side first. Anyone know if there's any chance of salvaging it?

I've had a lot of luck with the hero drops at least, even the orange peel hat.

I am pretty sure you are boned. You need to kill 999 soldiers on each side. After you do a sidequest, you will only get even kills, so there is no way to get that last odd kill.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tripwood posted:

My guess is that it has something to do with the probably not-fully-implemented Canonball Charrrm. Jick said something the other day about how if no one still knew what it did that it probably wasn't working for some reason.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Some people are talking about possible clearing the F'cl of pirates to unlock a special adventure. You can already get rid of Clingy and Chatty pirates in a special way, so we'd have to find how to make the other ones stop showing up.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

tripwood posted:

Some people are talking about possible clearing the F'cl of pirates to unlock a special adventure. You can already get rid of Clingy and Chatty pirates in a special way, so we'd have to find how to make the other ones stop showing up.
maybe you can ditch the crusty pirate by cleaning him?

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Riidi WW posted:

maybe you can ditch the crusty pirate by cleaning him?

swabbie swab? all purpose cleaner?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Applied as Fooley, waiting confirmation

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think I read something on the forums about how Jick said you can't clear the crusty pirate because he couldn't think of a way to do it that would be funny, so I'm guessing that idea is wrong.

Honestly, this has reached the point where for me this puzzle has ceased to be fun or challenging and reached well into the realm of being annoying at best. We've reached the point where there have to have been thousands of hours of work poured into solving this by people, and we're no closer to solving it than we were at the beginning. It's looking like this isn't going to be solved through brainpower as much as it is through pure freak chance of somebody, somewhere doing something they didn't mean to do and unlocking something.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
OK now this is really weird: I have a greasemonkey script to count the number of kills on either side of the hippie/frat war. I kind of accidentally just killed everyone on both sides, even though it says I only killed 194 frats and 164 hippies. This is after doing only one quest for each side, so I killed two guys each time.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Applied as Wilhoeder

WeidenHammer
Jan 6, 2007

It is the Feast of Boris! Get out there for your Thanksgiving goodies!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

WeidenHammer posted:

It is the Feast of Boris! Get out there for your Thanksgiving goodies!

From those who've done HCO runs with a green pixie before, what are the chances a Feast of Boris monster will mess up my not-a-pipe acquisition?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Does Jick or Skully realize how easily abused the Hidden Temple in the woods is?

Yawgatog
Jul 6, 2002
b0x0rz r0x0r
There's no need to spoiler KoL content in this thread.

The Hidden Temple may be nice for stats, but you get nothing else there. Meat, items, and quest completion are kind of important!

Maybe I don't realize how easily abused it is, either.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

The Midniter posted:

From those who've done HCO runs with a green pixie before, what are the chances a Feast of Boris monster will mess up my not-a-pipe acquisition?

The wiki says there's a 1 in 30 chance of a FoB encounter taking place so it's not massively huge. I missed out on 1 out of 4 !pipe acquisitions today, which is irritating but not that bad.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Unless I'm wrong, FoB encounters actually happen on a timer basis. You encounter one, then there's something like 30 turns of normality, then after the time finishes then the FoB monsters get inserted back into the list of possible encounters only their likelihood is boosted or something.

NerftheSmurf
Jun 13, 2003

I will smurf you

The Midniter posted:

Today a feast of boris adventure overrode my semi-rare. It was literally my first adventure in the chasm and it would have saved me from doing most of the entire chasm quest. But no, a stuffing golem had to rear its ugly head right there. :sigh:

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
I'll probably end up posting this in the Let's Play Sandcastle thread, but I figured I'd check with fellow Loathers first.

I, along with fellow goon, Minion123, was thinking of possibly doing a Let's Play of KoL. Naturally, it would be a new character and would probably want to join the Goon Clan when able, but right now, I'm just placing a couple of feelers out there and see whether this idea would be embraced by the Loathing crowd or whether it should just die a quick painless death in the Sneaky Back Alley...

The basic premise would be that the character would be a new arrival to the Kingdom and would be looking for a job. Unfortunately, everything is controlled by the Council and will turn to Adventuring to survive and grow... There will be much Goon-involvement in the character's name, as well as the Familiar names and general activities of the character: What trophies if any it should go for, and how to battle Bosses (beat them using only ranged weapons as a Clubber for example) as well as Class and Gender and the like.

So, yeah, just a couple of feelers out there to see if there would be an interest in this type of thing or not.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Well I'd definitely be interested but I'm also curious to how you'ld handle the roleplaying aspect, since a good portion of the adventures force your character into completely arbitrary and often contradictory decisions that would make it hard to maintain consistency.

That said, if you think you can make it happen I'm all for it, and anything that attracts new members to the clan and the game as a whole.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

KoL is not a game that should be Let's played. It can easily be played by anyone with no technical limitations, it's free and best enjoyed when you can discover things on your own.

You should dedicate your energy to something more fun, like an obscure game.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

tripwood posted:

KoL is not a game that should be Let's played. It can easily be played by anyone with no technical limitations, it's free and best enjoyed when you can discover things on your own.

You should dedicate your energy to something more fun, like an obscure game.

While a KoL LP isn't the worst idea ever, you'd need to be as slick as oil to pull it off rightly. I agree with Tripwood. Do a Darklands LP or something. Everyone needs to hear about / fanatically revere Darklands like I do.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

quote:

KoL is not a game that should be Let's played.

quote:

While a KoL LP isn't the worst idea ever...

Well, it seems like it was good that I checked here first. It was just an idea that we had and thought would be something different, but since there seems to be a fair bit of, shall we say, ire towards the idea, it might not be the best plan to go ahead with it.

All in all, it was good to at least hear some opinions on it. I knew it was probably going to be really weird to plot out and plan, but I thought the end result might have been interesting enough to warrant a thread. It isn't and that's clearer now.

Thanks.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Well, cranberries did gently caress-all today. As usual, Jick was probably too baked to set the flag.

I, too, don't see how the hidden temple can be abused? You wanna 'splain that some more, mix.lunar?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I decided not to ascend my softcore alt until my main ascends for the 2nd time, and I've now played 1k more adventures on the alt than on my main, in 2/3 the time. :psyduck:

I've also spent twice as much time on my main's first hardcore run than the first run, and I'm only on the MacGuffin quest. Man I suck at hardcore. I don't know what I was thinking choosing DB instead of Pastamancer for my first hardcore run.

Anyway, does clingfilm ever get sold in the mall, and if so for how much? It's going to take a crazy number of adventures to farm enough for the outfit, but I got nothin' better to do.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Electric Hobo posted:

Anyway, does clingfilm ever get sold in the mall, and if so for how much? It's going to take a crazy number of adventures to farm enough for the outfit, but I got nothin' better to do.

Clingfilm, like duct tape, is untradable. At least you don't have a limited number of adventures per day where clingfilm drops.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What is the droprate for clingfilm. Right after the end of Crimbo I spent a bit of time trying to farm some clingfilm and had no luck. In about 80 adventures I didn't get a single one to drop. I think I killed about a dozen clingy pirates as well. I am hoping that when I get the tracking tome in a couple days it will make the farming easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Orvin posted:

What is the droprate for clingfilm.

The wiki says 11%. With the nearly +200% item drop I'm using, it probably wouldn't be too hard, if I wanted to farm for it.

• Locked thread