Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

DapperDuck posted:

Shut up. Bosses that have the word 'Weapon' in them are not a spoiler. More things that are not spoilers:

Cid is in this game!
Yuffie joins you in this game!
There's chocobo breeding in this game!
There is an Aero 3 spell in this game!

I would post examples of things that are considered spoilers, but the OP explicitly states that they do not want any spoilers.

Are they really that common? I don't remember any such bosses outside of ff6 and ff7, but maybe I just haven't played enough final fantasy. It's just that they serve a specific plot purpose in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Are they really that common? I don't remember any such bosses outside of ff6 and ff7, but maybe I just haven't played enough final fantasy. It's just that they serve a specific plot purpose in this game.

And if someone was spoiling the specific plot purpose, that would be worth getting mad over!

The name isn't.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Amidiri posted:

And if someone was spoiling the specific plot purpose, that would be worth getting mad over!

The name isn't.

My apologies. I'm currently reading through the DP thread for the first time and It's put me a little on edge about spoilers.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
There's optional "Weapon" bosses in VIII, X, and X-2 as well.

There's no Aero spell in VII though! :argh:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Enemies use it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Adus posted:

Enemies use it.

drat. Now you've spoiled the entire game. :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I don't know about you, but my enjoyment of a game would not be altered in the slightest if I found out there were bosses that were referred to as "weapons".

I guess it's technically a spoiler, but would anyone really care to have that spoiled for themselves?

Doesn't matter, read the OP. The spoiler rules are quite clear. Yes, that means even trivial poo poo (like the name in question) shouldn't be spoiled, even if it's small, because otherwise it's "no spoilers except things that meet an arbitrary standard of not being big enough to worry about" and that's a whole big mess.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Bocc Kob posted:

There's no Aero spell in VII though! :argh:

Heh heh heh...

cyrus106
Jun 19, 2011
What I never understood about FF7's graphics is that the backgrounds and world itself is rendered very well, but the character models just make my eyes bleed 0_0. If you're going to make beautiful areas in a game, don't splotch it up with ugly polygon models :/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

cyrus106 posted:

What I never understood about FF7's graphics is that the backgrounds and world itself is rendered very well, but the character models just make my eyes bleed 0_0. If you're going to make beautiful areas in a game, don't splotch it up with ugly polygon models :/

The backgrounds are pre-rendered. The character models are not.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

The backgrounds are pre-rendered. The character models are not.

Basically this. The characters are real-time PS1-rendered models running around on paintings that were rendered by a computer much more powerful than a PS1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

cyrus106 posted:

He's got a point. Why don't all PS1 games have PS3-quality graphics, dammit!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Elentor posted:

Elentor doesn't mean anything. It was a fantasy name I used for a pen&paper RPG long before I even knew about SA, trying to think of something that wasn't too obviously tolkienian. I hate to disappoint but it's not a Brazilian name.

:respek:

(it is still Tolkienian though, sorry to say)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

elentar posted:

:respek:

(it is still Tolkienian though, sorry to say)

He is Elentor son of Elentar, and if by life or death he can save us, he will.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jazzimus Prime posted:

He is Elentor son of Elentar, and if by life or death he can save us, he will.

Not all that glitters is Goldmined. Not all who LP are lost.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bocc Kob posted:

There's optional "Weapon" bosses in VIII

Oh y'don't say

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Is it really that hard for people to just not post about things that haven't happened in the LP yet? No matter how inconsequential it actually is?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

cyrus106 posted:

I like to like think that the low-poly models are a direct throwback to the SNES days. They look like literal 3D translations of the FFIV sprites. :buddy:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Woozy posted:

I like to like think that the low-poly models are a direct throwback to the SNES days. They look like literal 3D translations of the FFIV sprites. :buddy:

That's what I thought as well! I actually wish they'd just made the battle models the same as the overworld models, and then make both more detailed. The transition from the SD overworld model to super-realistic (for those days) battle one was a bit jarring to say the least.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Red Red Blue posted:

Is it really that hard for people to just not post about things that haven't happened in the LP yet? No matter how inconsequential it actually is?

I dunno, I think there's a pretty huge difference between saying "Darth Vader is Luke's father" and "Luke and company go to Bespin and meet a dude named Lando."

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

If you really wanna see low poly translations of the SNES sprites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYGiLY_VHpA

Back in the days when FFVII was gonna be on N64..

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zas posted:

Oh hell, that looks pretty awesome. Why didn't they make that game instead? :(

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Zas posted:

My God, I remember being really young finding that video on my dialup internet, only to have my computer crash and never to see the full video, and never to find it again. I was so excited too, that I told my parents we had to get an N64 but I was only allowed a PS1 or an N64, not both.

Well that is my story. I miss the OP. :smith:

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

Zas posted:

Isn't that just a tech demo of the N64 using FFVI? It's clearly Locke, Terra, and Shadow.

And SI nothing is awesome about Terra's red buttfloss. Jesus Christ.

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

DocFrance posted:

I dunno, I think there's a pretty huge difference between saying "Darth Vader is Luke's father" and "Luke and company go to Bespin and meet a dude named Lando."

Agreed, that wasn't the point though, why does everyone have a burning desire to post about content from later in the game? Why not just post about stuff that already happened? Or if you have nothing to say about that then don't post, it's a simple concept that many people seem to struggle with.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

YJT posted:

Agreed, that wasn't the point though, why does everyone have a burning desire to post about content from later in the game? Why not just post about stuff that already happened? Or if you have nothing to say about that then don't post, it's a simple concept that many people seem to struggle with.

Besides the plot stuff, a lot of game mechanics can only really be discussed in terms of later on stuff. There's a reason why, say, Fire Emblem LPs of any variety will say things like, "This person is worth keeping in your party, even if he seems worthless now," or any RPG LP will say things like "You don't want to bother leveling Character X because he doesn't stay in your party for long, and don't forget to strip him nude because you don't want him taking your good poo poo with him."

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Landwhale posted:

Isn't that just a tech demo of the N64 using FFVI? It's clearly Locke, Terra, and Shadow.

That's exactly what it is, but the idea was it was demonstrating what a future FF might look like on the new crazy Project Reality. And apparently it would've involved weird low poly thongs

YJT
Oct 27, 2010
But why do you even need to discuss that? Elentor clearly knows this stuff already and nobody else in the thread needs to be told. I'm not trying to say it is a spoiler or even that I'm concerned about spoilers, like most of you I know this game inside out, it's more a general question about why people have to immediately begin discussing the whole game at the start of every thread in the forum.

e: just realised how dull all this posting about posting is so I'll not try and make it a debate, it's just something I'm always puzzled by.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Landwhale posted:

Yeah, but I decided to drop it because I didn't feel like starting another "<artist> is TERRIBLE" derail. We barely survived the Nomura incident with moderate belt-related injuries and a few zipper-burns.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I was more distracted by Terra going clippity cloppity like a pony.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Landwhale posted:

Actually, that video has nothing to do with an N64. It was a demo they made for the Silicon Graphics workstations of the day, and it had crazy interface ideas like "draw a pentagram with the mouse to summon Bahamut". When video of it got out people said "this is what FFVII might have looked like on an N64" and the idea stuck.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Every time I see that video, I can't help but see Locke as Richter Belmont. Then again, any character with a bandana, blue clothes, and a whip makes me think of Richter.

And way to focus on Terra's rear end for far too long there.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
regarding spoilers, and using the Lando example, I think it's far less of a spoiler than explaining who Lando is and what happens when they meet him, etc, but yes it is spoilerific on some small scale. Some people like small scale spoilers because it gets them excited for what may come (if they don't already know about it), some people hate small scale spoilers because they think it'd genuinly ruin things.

It's really down to the OP for final say. The OP may have been looking forward to revealing the Weapons and be pissed that someone mentioned them, or they may not give a poo poo. This is Final Fantasy 7 though, and even the major spoilers of the game are on the same level as The Sixth Sense. Yeah there are people who don't know it, but even people who haven't seen the film knows the twist.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Phoenix Taichou posted:

but even people who haven't seen the film knows the twist.

I don't.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Elephantgun posted:

It seems the one defining factor in every bad character design is showing off your nuts.

I don't understand the logic of an outfit where you have a big feather shoulderpad and loose sleeve covering up your right arm but leave your nuts uncovered in a skintight one-piece pajama suit. Like, OK, I understand it's a different world and fashion is different but it just makes no logical sense.
See also: Kuja, who somehow wears more clothing on any one of his limbs than on his entire torso :psyduck:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

I don't.

Bruce Willis was /dead the whole time/.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

I was more distracted by Terra going clippity cloppity like a pony.

Friendship is M-M-M-M-M-M-MAGIC?!

Cybersix
Jul 12, 2005
some kinky chick dressed up in a black cape and matching tights

Lance Streetman posted:

I don't.

And there's a disclaimer right there in the OP mentioning expressly that yes, there are people who don't even know the biggest, most known twist about this game, and for cryin' out loud don't spoil it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I know exactly one spoiler and we're pretty much past as far as I've played in the game myself, so anything past this point, is completely new to me, besides that one thing, but I'd really not want to hear about that one thing in this thread until we get there, since I don't know when that happens, it'll be a complete surprise to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I know exactly one spoiler and we're pretty much past as far as I've played in the game myself, so anything past this point, is completely new to me, besides that one thing, but I'd really not want to hear about that one thing in this thread until we get there, since I don't know when that happens, it'll be a complete surprise to me.

The buildup is fairly obvious. If you already know that it will happen, then you'll know it's coming.

• Locked thread