Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

abagofcheetos posted:

I thought Tomb Raider was already free?
I think it was on sale, not free though (isn't this a bit counter productive since they're trying to also sell virtually the exact same game for the PS4?). I might pick up some of the DLC if it's going free/reduced as well though. Not the best month I've seen for PS+ though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tomb Raider was free in Europe, I think?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This is the first time EU has gotten it free.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Tomb Raider was on sale during the holidays for $14 or so.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have been messing around with the PS4 edition of Tomb Raider and it's fun. It's a Metroidvania, which I didn't expect from all of the Uncharted comparisons. Basically anything you heard about Tomb Raider re: Uncharted go ahead and forget because I am starting to feel like it came from people who never actually played Uncharted.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

rabidsquid posted:

I have been messing around with the PS4 edition of Tomb Raider and it's fun. It's a Metroidvania, which I didn't expect from all of the Uncharted comparisons. Basically anything you heard about Tomb Raider re: Uncharted go ahead and forget because I am starting to feel like it came from people who never actually played Uncharted.

You climb around, shoot dudes, and hunt collectables, so it's like Uncharted in that manner. However it's not nearly as linear or short as Uncharted if you want to do everything. I can see the parallels from people who just did the bare minimum in Tomb Raider, but Tomb Raider is definitely deeper in the exploration aspects.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

There's some light Metroid elements in there (mostly holdovers from an earlier design where they planned to make the game more mystical-themed and open-worldy), but it's mostly a linear, setpiece-driven shooter.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I don't really see the metroidvania comparison with Tomb Raider. Progression still amounts to hallway shooting and the areas aren't particularly interconnected. The only way to backtrack is by the fast travel camps. It's more like a level based progression just seamless. I'd compare it more to Bioshock 1 in the way the level structure works. Especially since there's little reason to backtrack except for the collectibles that flesh out the world.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kegluneq posted:

I think it was on sale, not free though (isn't this a bit counter productive since they're trying to also sell virtually the exact same game for the PS4?). I might pick up some of the DLC if it's going free/reduced as well though. Not the best month I've seen for PS+ though.

Hmm, did I pay for Tomb Raider? haha I don't even remember, all I know is that I own it... and I assumed through PS Plus, but maybe I did indeed buy it.

Game owns though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is this a new dead nation game? The one they gave PS3 users back in 2010 wasn't that great and I can't imagine some kind of updated version doing much better on PS4.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this a new dead nation game? The one they gave PS3 users back in 2010 wasn't that great and I can't imagine some kind of updated version doing much better on PS4.

It's the same game with the DLC packed in, 1080p/60fps with some other lighting/graphic polish and a couple of new modes, including the ability to have anyone watching your stream to gently caress with your game which sounds fun.

I enjoyed the original and I'll run through it again, it was pretty fun in Co-op mode.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

rabidsquid posted:

I have been messing around with the PS4 edition of Tomb Raider and it's fun. It's a Metroidvania, which I didn't expect from all of the Uncharted comparisons.

Tomb Raider definitely has a few optional tombs and collectibles gated off in the early game that only accessible if you return later with some necessary equipment upgrades, but it's a long way from being a Metroid-style exploration game. Tell people that and they're going to walk in with expectations that won't be met.

It's a fun game on its own terms, and those terms are as a setpiece-driven third-person shooter. Let's not gild the lily.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Skychrono posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/27/preview-marchs-instant-game-collection/#sf1983426

Dead Nation, Tomb Raider, Thomas Was Alone, Lone Survivor, Monster Hunter

Edit: NA PS+

I already bought thomas was alone for $2.50 and Lone survivor when it launched (played about 10 minutes of it :argh:) but everything else is new to me. Anyone know if you can set the MHFU camera to the right stick and avoid the claw?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm actually enjoying Injustice. I think the last fighting game I played was like Mortal Kombat 3? The story mode is really good and I don't even like comics. Definitely recommend it while it's on sale.

kalonZombie posted:

You climb around, shoot dudes, and hunt collectables, so it's like Uncharted in that manner. However it's not nearly as linear or short as Uncharted if you want to do everything. I can see the parallels from people who just did the bare minimum in Tomb Raider, but Tomb Raider is definitely deeper in the exploration aspects.

Am I missing something? I finished everything in Tomb Raider in four days, besides the OCD collectible poo poo which I never do. I loved the game but feel a bit underwhelmed paying full price for it. Saying it has lots of depth is really misleading.

I've only played the Vita Uncharted and it's lasting a lot longer than Tomb Raider. I still haven't finished it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I dunno, I managed to finish Uncharted games in usually two or three days, but Tomb Raider was going on 5 until my PS3 died.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

kalonZombie posted:

I dunno, I managed to finish Uncharted games in usually two or three days, but Tomb Raider was going on 5 until my PS3 died.

I usually finish Metroid games in two or three days, but Tomb Raider also took me a week or two. It's a game with a surprising amount of content.

I dunno, I just don't think length can be used as a determining factor here. There's a bit of exploration there if you want it, but the main thrust of the game is still "Shoot these assholes."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While they don't force you to go back and explore areas later they do add in some neat little things. Like that first hub area, if you go back there after unlocking the second hub area you'll find the area destroyed by the plane that crashed earlier.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Returning to earlier areas with better weapons and equipment and stealth ganking all the enemies was one of my favourite bits of the game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Tomb raider and monster hunter are going to make this coming month a good one! Not a bad haul, though I'm curious to see how MH plays on the vita (with the added stick and all).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Growlanser: Heritage of War is coming to the PSN as a PS2 classic.

I liked this game and it'll be neat to have this limited edition thing widely available soon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

Growlanser: Heritage of War is coming to the PSN as a PS2 classic.

I liked this game and it'll be neat to have this limited edition thing widely available soon.

This is why I like digital. It's always going to be easier to get, and the price will be retail pricing or less. They need to put up more rare ps2 games.

Policenaut, I've never played this. Is it a legit good game?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Is there going to be any kind of preload or anything with Dark Souls 2?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ineffiable posted:

This is why I like digital. It's always going to be easier to get, and the price will be retail pricing or less. They need to put up more rare ps2 games.

Policenaut, I've never played this. Is it a legit good game?

I rather enjoyed it. It's kind of like an RTS crossbred with a JRPG, if it's like $10 then I'd probably throw down the cash for it. It doesn't look very good visually but the plot's got kind of that neat Suikoden-ish country warfare vibe going on, try checking out some gameplay videos to see if you're down with what it's presenting.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Update: Call of Duty: Ghosts: Onslaught is finally available in the NA store. Going by this tweet from AskPlayStation it did indeed go up at 12pm Pacific.

PS4 version $14.99 / free with season pass 4.9 GB
PS3 version $14.99 / free with season pass 1.1 GB

==========

File sizes of known games coming free for PS+ members:

EU region:
PS3 game Tomb Raider Digital Edition 12.7 GB:
- main game 12.5 GB
- Shanty Town multiplayer add-on 60 MB
- Tomb of the Lost Adventurer single-player add-on 90 MB
- Hitman Weapon Pack add-on 1 MB
PS3 game Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 625 MB (demo available for pre-load)
Vita game PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD 165 MB
Vita game Smart As 1.5 GB (demo available for pre-load, click on Try Free Demo button)

NA region:
PS3 game Tomb Raider Bundle 10.2 GB:
- main game 8.6 GB
- Shanty Town Multiplayer Map add-on 60 MB
- Aviatrix Skin add-on 1 MB
- Guerilla Skin add-on 1 MB
- Hunter Skin add-on 1 MB
- Hitman: Absolution Weapons Pack 1 add-on 1 MB
- PS3 game Quantum Conundrum 1.6 GB
PS3/Vita game Thomas Was Alone 505 MB (cross-buy):
- PS3 version 270 MB
- Vita version 235 MB
PS3/Vita game Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut 397 MB (cross-buy):
- PS3 version 192 MB
- Vita version 205 MB
Vita game Unit 13 1.1 GB
PSP game Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite 768 MB

Tomb Raider has different bundles in each region. NA region bundle has some skins and the PS3 game Quantum Conundrum (was free for PS+ members on November 2012), while EU region bundle has the single-player add-on Tomb of the Lost Adventurer. Both will have the Shanty Town multiplayer map and Hitman: Absolution Weapons Pack.

In NA region, I'm going to take a wild guess and say Tomb Raider will be the "game of the month" and be available next week along with PS4 game Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition.

In EU region, both Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Smart As are demo + unlock key games. If you want, you can download those demos right now, then wait for the unlock keys to become free after the store update this Wednesday.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

I rather enjoyed it. It's kind of like an RTS crossbred with a JRPG, if it's like $10 then I'd probably throw down the cash for it. It doesn't look very good visually but the plot's got kind of that neat Suikoden-ish country warfare vibe going on, try checking out some gameplay videos to see if you're down with what it's presenting.

Hasn't exactly every ps2 game been ten bucks at the start? San Andreas as an exception.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Awesome! posted:

I already bought thomas was alone for $2.50 and Lone survivor when it launched (played about 10 minutes of it :argh:) but everything else is new to me. Anyone know if you can set the MHFU camera to the right stick and avoid the claw?

You can map the right stick to act like the d-pad, but it's still going to be read as a digital input, so it's not perfect for camera control. Set the stick to only use left and right, that way you don't accidentally snap the camera straight down during an intense moment.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Friday EU store update

Link to all new releases in webstore
Link to PS Blog post with more details

All links go to UK store unless otherwise noted. Log in with your EU PSN account to switch to your local region and currency. Check the PS Blog post for regional exclusions.

New Games and Bundle

quote:

PS4 Games
The Lego Movie Videogame 59.99 6.3 GB (link to French store, now available in France, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, and Ukraine)
Thief (includes The Bank Heist add-on) 59.99/69.99/AU$99.95 20.5 GB

PS3 Games
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 39.99/49.99/AU$69.95 4 GB
The Lego Movie Videogame 49.99 5.9 GB (link to French store, now available in France, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, and Ukraine)
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles 24.99/34.99/AU$44.95 9.2 GB
- Tales of Symphonia 15.99/19.99/AU$29.95 5.4 GB
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World 15.99/19.99/AU$29.95 3.8 GB
Thief (includes The Bank Heist add-on) 39.99/59.99/AU$69.95 8.1 GB

Vita Game
The Lego Movie Videogame 39.99 1.5 GB (link to French store, now available in France, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, and Ukraine)

Unlike the NA region, the individual games from Tales of Symphonia Chronicles are more expensive if they are purchased separately than buying the bundle.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

abagofcheetos posted:

The Xbox version was free on Games With Gold awhile ago, maybe you are thinking of that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was Guardian of Light.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

13/f/cali posted:

The Xbox version was free on Games With Gold awhile ago, maybe you are thinking of that?

That was a completely different Tomb Raider game.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

You probably just knew that it was going to be free eventually, after Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman: Absolution.

I had been waiting for this to go on Plus for the longest time, but now with the PS4 Definitive Edition I am compelled to make poor financial decisions.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Ah, I don't really know Tomb Raider that well, my mistake.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Looking forward to Tomb Raider. PS Plus has a way of giving me games I didn't care about when they were released that I ended up really enjoying, and from what I've seen, I'll bet Tomb Raider will be another one of those.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just went through my history to find it, for some reason I just totally forgot that I did in fact pay money for Tomb Raider :shobon:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
So what kind of game is Smart As? Is it just a Vita equivalent of Brain Age or is there more to it than that?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

InspectorCarbonara posted:

So what kind of game is Smart As? Is it just a Vita equivalent of Brain Age or is there more to it than that?

Pretty much, yeah. Also tries to use the VR cards for some of the games. Also has John Cleese!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Smart As is flawed in that you have to use the touchpad to draw, which doesn't work too well - the game has a very specific idea what digits and letters look like and it will not accept anything else. I've tried playing the game (NA PS+ has it as a free game) but that alone makes it unplayable for me. Had I been playing on a DS with a stylus it would be a different story, alas.

Edit: at least I didn't see any option other than the touch screen.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 28, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I gave up on Smart As because it kept punishing me for its own lovely controls. If you don't draw - for example - a Q or a 4 exactly like it wants you to, your score goes down the toilet.

Also was never able to access the leaderboards. Would've been pissed if I paid anything for it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I made a game in 2009 that could handle multiple ways of writing specific characters, and I was far from the first! There's really no excuse for that sort of thing in 2013/14. That's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some of the new releases coming this Tuesday, from blogcast and other sources. Info from blogcast in italics.

*moved to next page*

More to come whenever it gets announced or found online. If I forgot something that is coming out this Tuesday, let me know. I haven't checked the news sites lately. :sweatdrop:

95% chance the free PS+ PS3 game will be Tomb Raider Bundle but it hasn't been confirmed. Though, it would be funny if they called Thomas Was Alone or Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut the Game of the Month.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 4, 2014

• Locked thread