Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

squirrelzipper posted:

Also it's not really an either/or type problem. Apple apps will quite happily connect to Google's infrastructure - well in most cases. Calendar works fine, mail.app has no problem as a Gmail client and contacts sync (although I've had some weird behaviour there).

Mummy and daddy aren't always fighting.

I guess I'm just worried about weird behavior like you mentioned and I'm already so used to doing everything through the browser on Windows. It just feels weird removing so many programs from the dock, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Caged posted:

Is there a meaning to the display that gets the menu bar in the display settings any more, or is this bit of UI redundant now?

Presumably it still matters for non-fullscreen applications.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Ganson posted:

MacPorts...

Have you tried homebrew?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

serebralassazin posted:

If I used TRIM enabler in mountain lion, (I have a crucial M4 SSD in my macbook pro) do I need to use it again to enable TRIM in Mavericks or is it enabled on any SSD now?

You can find out for yourself if you open System Profiler from About This Mac and check your SSD there.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

serebralassazin posted:

If I used TRIM enabler in mountain lion, (I have a crucial M4 SSD in my macbook pro) do I need to use it again to enable TRIM in Mavericks or is it enabled on any SSD now?

It was disabled on my Samsung 830 after upgrading, but TRIM Enabler turned it back on with no problem.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

jeeves posted:

Personally, I wish this didn't bug me so much but it does:

poo poo, Mavericks is in German? That is going to drive people crazy for sure.

I'm kidding, of course. Gastbenutzer isn't nearly long enough to be a real German word.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

jeeves posted:

That's from 10.8 or 10.7 :dog:

Personally, I wish this didn't bug me so much but it does:

I got so used to the nice darker 2D dock when it's on the side. The white just doesn't look as good, especially with the blueish folder icons that Mac uses by default.

Yeah, I agree heavily with you. The new side dock looks hideous, and it blends way too well with the icons. My background also has some pretty light spots on the bottom, so it's really hard to see the little indicator light for icons in that part of the dock. I really like my wallpaper and I'd rather not change it.

I feel like a giant baby for complaining about this but it just bugs the crap out of me.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

Oh My Science posted:

Have you tried homebrew?

I second that recommendation for homebrew, it's a lot easier to manage than mac ports.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Ok, this is scary. Mavericks is really fast and snappy.

Feels like day and night compared to the lion OSes.

Can wait to install this on my iMac. Holy gently caress, it corrects misspelled words as you write them. Maybe it always did, I dunno.

Safari feels a lot faster than chrome. Is it like that for anyone else? Dude, I'm impressed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So far this is about on par or slightly worse than ML was for me (granted, I'm on a really old Mac) and while ML was awesome with handling memory, Mav just seems to go kinda nuts with it. The first time I booted it up I just watched all the memory slip away slowly until it was in the double digits and there was no apparent reason for it. After a reboot it's still doing it, just watching it vanish at a rate of about 5 megs per second.

Also com.apple.IconServicesAgent eating about a 100 megs of memory?

E: Oh goddamn it's probably Spotlight doing its thing (the memory "leak"), the magnifying glass icon doesn't animate anymore when it does it which is why I was confused.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 23, 2013

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Well, I still got to play around with it. So far, the impression is good. ML wasn't bad, but it was no SL. This might the closest so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I don't run into so weird rear end poo poo.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Finally managed to install Sea Lion (even survived a mid-install "oh poo poo I gotta go!" sleep and wake no problem) and at first glance there isn't anything that catches the eye like 'hey check THIS out' but that's not a bad thing, you know - the focus on battery life and CPU usage and other under-the-hood updates is really welcome.

Also Finder tabs own can't believe it took this long (yes I know about the various programs).

E - Oh wow, looks like the old-rear end retail iLife and iWork were converted to the App Store versions.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 23, 2013

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I ordered a refurbished rMBP last night. Will it come with Mavericks? New iLife? New iWork?

I'm guessing not. :(

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

So far this is about on par or slightly worse than ML was for me (granted, I'm on a really old Mac) and while ML was awesome with handling memory, Mav just seems to go kinda nuts with it. The first time I booted it up I just watched all the memory slip away slowly until it was in the double digits and there was no apparent reason for it. After a reboot it's still doing it, just watching it vanish at a rate of about 5 megs per second.

Also com.apple.IconServicesAgent eating about a 100 megs of memory?

E: Oh goddamn it's probably Spotlight doing its thing (the memory "leak"), the magnifying glass icon doesn't animate anymore when it does it which is why I was confused.

I think it's meant to take pretty much all the ram it can find, after all, it's better to have too much sitting in there than miss out something that's needed. This is fine as long as it happily removes something it might need to replace it with something it does need when the need arises.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jamus posted:

I think it's meant to take pretty much all the ram it can find, after all, it's better to have too much sitting in there than miss out something that's needed. This is fine as long as it happily removes something it might need to replace it with something it does need when the need arises.
So it's basically gone back to the Lion way of handling memory? Because on Lion I pretty often dipped down to crazy low amounts of memory because the OS was hogging a whole bunch of it for whatever, and apparently ML didn't do that at all because it indeed got a bit sluggish when jumping back to active or background apps abruptly like it forgot to keep them on or something. The tradeback was that the available memory pool was constantly pretty massive. The downside is that I usually cleared as much memory as I could for video streaming, so I'd have like 2GB available for a ~2Gb video file and could stream it without running out of memory and getting a stuttering video out of nowhere. That side of things is going to require some trickery again I guess.

I'll just have to get used to having seemingly low memory a lot of the time again. I mean yeah, as long as it works it's not a big deal and things are a lot snappier on that front than they were with ML. Overall performance seems better too. Now I just need to wait for all the app developers to get a move on and release the billion updates I'll need to make apps work on Mav again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The M Player X update to "support Mavericks" actually breaks M Player X for me on my mid 2011 27" iMac.

IT was working fine all last week with Mavericks GM seed, updated Mplayer X to resolve the issue with the progress bar not working properly and now M player X just chews through RAM until it starts freezing.

I would suggest avoiding the update for now.

Also: any way to restore the coloured highlights instead of using Tags? I had my network shares folders (TV shows, Movies, Music, Photos etc) all coloured different for easy identification in list view, now it puts a useless coloured dot next to them instead of a vibrant coloured bar over the whole line.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MPlayerX works fine for me, whereas it was nearly unusable on Lion and barely usable on ML. Not sure if it's the update or Mavericks increasing performance though.

Is there a way to get rid of the secondary top bar? I have a secondary monitor where I keep fullscreened apps and it's causing some curiosities and overall it's pretty redundant. I haven't found any option to disable it.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up that they were delaying iCloud Keychain to make it part of the OS and not just Safari, but still I'm disappointed. Would have been nice being able to generate and save passwords for apps in Mavericks and iOS and have them synced. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tonic posted:

On both my iMac and Macbook Air it's showing 3 updates available at the App Store but when I click on "Updates" there's nothing there besides the ones I've previously installed.

EDIT: Seems like others are having this issue too. Wondering if it's because I installed 603 over 598? I wish Apple wouldn't have referred to 598 as "GM" when it clearly wasn't.

EDIT2: Running "sudo softwareupdate --install --all" from the command line seems to be downloading the updates, so I'm guessing the App Store issue is just due to server strain.
I'm having the same problem and that didn't fix it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1657863&highlight=update

Suggests holding 'alt' when loading the store. If that doesn't work I am going to just re-install.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

With iCloud Keychain is there an easy way to access these passwords on my phone? Say I have it auto-generate me a password for eBay on my Mac and then on my phone I want to use the app, can I get to that password on my phone or do I need to reveal the password on my Mac and type it into the app?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Caged posted:

With iCloud Keychain is there an easy way to access these passwords on my phone? Say I have it auto-generate me a password for eBay on my Mac and then on my phone I want to use the app, can I get to that password on my phone or do I need to reveal the password on my Mac and type it into the app?

Other than getting an iPhone, no, not really - it's tied directly into keychain and safari and nothing else at present.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Caged posted:

Assuming you have an iPhone you have to go Settings > Safari >Passwords & Autofill > Saved Passwords and then find the site and enter your passcode to copy. It should and could be way easier but, Apple. Hopefully iOS 8 and the next OS we'll get an improved Keychain Access and an iOS app. Or maybe they could just buy Agilebits....

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Prate posted:

Or maybe they could just buy Agilebits....

God, I hope not. I want to continue to use 1Password on my work PC, and I really doubt Apple would support that.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Thanks for replies, I'll check system info and see if TRIM turned off. Enable it again if it is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

I'm (im)patiently waiting for my new MacBook 13 Retina to arrive next week, but I had a question in the meantime: am I really missing out on a lot by not using Mac OS X's Mail/Contacts/Calendar/Keychain/Messaging applications because I'm already pretty heavily invested in the Google ecosystem (and KeePass)?

I always feel weird about saying no to things :(

I use the calendar and contacts app (albeit sparingly) on my Mac and they sync fine. The mail app is pretty meh, but Airmail works fine for that one. Messages I only use for occasional iMessage.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Oh My Science posted:

Have you tried homebrew?
Yeah seconding this, MacPorts is garbage in comparison.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Had just an awful time getting my mid-10 MacBook Pro to upgrade. That's not surprising though as it's probably the worst machine Apple has ever made. I wish I could throw it out a loving window.

My mid-11 iMac at work tore through the update. Maybe it's just me but it does feel considerably slower than 10.8 for some reason.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Regarding Keychain - if I find myself using a Windows machine there's no way to access the passwords, is there?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Prate posted:

Assuming you have an iPhone you have to go Settings > Safari >Passwords & Autofill > Saved Passwords and then find the site and enter your passcode to copy. It should and could be way easier but, Apple. Hopefully iOS 8 and the next OS we'll get an improved Keychain Access and an iOS app. Or maybe they could just buy Agilebits....

Yeah sorry, it is an iPhone. In a perfect world there will be an API so that app developers can access the Keychain to pull passwords out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah seconding this, MacPorts is garbage in comparison.

Do people still use Fink or that other one?

Are there legitimate reasons for not using Homebrew?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nuntius posted:

Just installed the new Garageband. I had to manually find it on the App Store and download it. I still have my old gb listed on purchases as Garageband 6.0.5 and it wasn't uninstalled in the process. What's the best way to remove it and not be left with gigs of redundant loops etc, without harming the new Garageband?
It *looks* like there aren't any redundant instruments/loops, and that big download was new stuff. The old software instruments are listed under a category called "Legacy". It appears the only leftover thing is /Applications/GarageBand 6.0.5/GarageBand 6.0.5.app.

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I haven't played around with Mavericks too much, but it seems to work well as far as I can tell. The upgrade went smoothly for me, which I was happy with since I have an early-mid 2009 iMac. I do like some of what I've seen so far, and I like how full screen operates this time around compared to ML.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I guess I get the new iLife and iWork for free! :toot:

(this is with nothing new on a 2011 MBP but Mavericks)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Prate posted:

Or maybe they could just buy Agilebits....
I paid for 1Password for my mac a while ago. Then, for a short (and miserable) time, I switched to a Dell PC. I looked at the cost for 1Password for PC, and about had a heart attack. Then, saw the cost for iPhone, and had a second one. I'm really glad to be on a mac, and that they've released keychain for iCloud. The app has served me well for the past three~ish years, so I'm not complaining about what I spent on it (in the neighbourhood of $25, give or take), because it was worth it. Just was feeling bitter that I'd have had to pay a small fortune to get the other editions.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For developers wondering how to make a USB installation disk, download Mavericks from the App Store and leave it in the default location, format a disk as "Untitled", and run this in the Terminal. I think it took about 15 minutes to finish.
code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
I did want to thank you for posting this a while back. I went through the process last night and it was pretty simple. As I understand it from this thread, the old apps/methods for Lion/Mountain Lion USB install disks won't work with Mavericks. Therefore, I definitely wouldn't have figured out how to make the disk on my own, at least not on launch day. Thanks man.

Now, as to whether it was necessary to fresh-install Mavericks on a 2 month old MBA that came with Mountain Lion, and worth the time it took to do so, probably not. This is how you learn these things.

Edit: Dequoted your code to avoid breaking tables but figured it would be informative for some to have it reposted.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 23, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

computer parts posted:

I guess I get the new iLife and iWork for free! :toot:

(this is with nothing new on a 2011 MBP but Mavericks)

How did you get it? I bought Pages a while back and was pushed to the new version, as well as GarageBand, but I still show that I have to buy Numbers and Keynote. Not sure why I'd want Numbers, since I mostly use Google Drive for spreadsheets, but Keynote would have been nice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I had a Pixelmator 3.0 update, and I installed all the updates, and it did install a new version of Pixelmator, but it's not listed in the "updates install in the last 30 days".

So the Mac App Store seems to be about the same as ever.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm having a problem with my 2011 Mini since I've updated to Mavericks: I have an external drive where I store my music and videos, and suddenly I have lost permissions to write to it. I can read it no problem, and in the Get Info window in the Sharing & Permissions area it tells me that I can only read the drive, even though on the list it says my Privilege is Read & Write. Disk Utility says all is fine with the drive, but it will not allow me to Verify Disk Permissions.

What happened? :confused:

Is the drive formatted as NTFS by any chance? I had this issue with a NTFS formatted drive and I had to run a chkdsk on a Windows PC to fix the issue. If it's FAT it might as well be worth a try as well. I'm assuming your using Tuxera NTFS if it is. Ended up the drive wasn't ejected properly and it caused problems.

Might want to update critical data before running chkdsk though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

How did you get it? I bought Pages a while back and was pushed to the new version, as well as GarageBand, but I still show that I have to buy Numbers and Keynote. Not sure why I'd want Numbers, since I mostly use Google Drive for spreadsheets, but Keynote would have been nice.

I don't know, it just popped up. I didn't get Garageband pushed to me though so maybe they're just having trouble rolling out the update to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm on the Mavericks GM seed.
This fucker is stuck in my software update and won't go away no matter how many times I install it.

When I run update from the terminal, I get this:

pre:
Error downloading Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update: Can't load data for Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update from the Apple Software Update server
Also, I can't download Mavericks manually. Hitting the download button does nothing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: This is on both an '09 iMac and '12 rMBP

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 23, 2013