Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I hated GTA 4 and consider GTA 5 to be maybe my favourite game of all time. 5 brings back a lot of the fun that San Andreas had.

I'm a bit sad because I have basically completed all the trophies that I am willing to do (ie none of the collecting 100 pieces of stuff ones). I want more game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Can you not do GTAO? Even if you aren't playing with other people you can still enjoy some more missioning, more clothes, choosing your own personal vehicle etc. There's even a "solo" mode that cuts you off from all the other people and takes out missions/activities that require more than one person.

Aside from that I'd recommend dicking around with the mission creator tool. I think it's a ton of fun to just test deathmatches against bots in various weird places.

Edit: I had a real long time where GTAO wouldn't work for me and all I could do was play with the solo mode and I still enjoyed it. Lots and lots of differences and odd poo poo to do.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 28, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's even a "solo" mode that cuts you off from all the other people and takes out missions/activities that require more than one person.

Oh man, is this new? I don't remember this feature. I always loved cruising around the city with my own guy in GTA4 mutliplayer solo. It was basically like a freeplay mode with your own custom dude.

Some day I reckon they'll make a GTA that takes Saints Row's approach of focusing entirely upon a custom dude (Or lady). I like the characters in GTA5 a lot though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Songbearer posted:

Oh man, is this new? I don't remember this feature. I always loved cruising around the city with my own guy in GTA4 mutliplayer solo. It was basically like a freeplay mode with your own custom dude.

Some day I reckon they'll make a GTA that takes Saints Row's approach of focusing entirely upon a custom dude (Or lady). I like the characters in GTA5 a lot though.

It can't be that new because I remember finding it when I was trying to get GTAO working on my old houses internet, which wasn't having it for some reason. I actually really enjoy playing this way because the missions are a bit more freeform and they're actually challenging. Especially if you're low level and lacking weapons/armor. Sometimes you're forced to start thinking creatively and start blocking off exits with cars or attacking from odd areas.

It's a nice alternative to the single player endgame if you've got nothing else. I think it still has to check for a connection to the internet or maybe even maintain one though.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 28, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I remember there was one multiplayer mission I was going through as a duo with my buddy. It was the one where you're making your way through a neighbourhood and had to blow up a few cars, then battle your way to safety.

I had died until I couldn't respawn anymore, so it was just me watching my friend slowly inch through the ghetto, trying to survive hordes of gangsters while I watched on through the chopper cam spectator mode. I wound up acting as his guardian angel over the mic comms, warning him when enemies were flanking him and telling him where he needed to go next. It was pretty badass because he wasn't able to see what was around the corner but we could work together to avoid any nasty surprises, even after my intellectuality failed him.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Songbearer posted:

even after my intellectuality failed him.

Is this code for getting drunk?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Can you not do GTAO? Even if you aren't playing with other people you can still enjoy some more missioning, more clothes, choosing your own personal vehicle etc. There's even a "solo" mode that cuts you off from all the other people and takes out missions/activities that require more than one person.

Aside from that I'd recommend dicking around with the mission creator tool. I think it's a ton of fun to just test deathmatches against bots in various weird places.

Edit: I had a real long time where GTAO wouldn't work for me and all I could do was play with the solo mode and I still enjoyed it. Lots and lots of differences and odd poo poo to do.

I've had the game since launch in 2013 so I've done everything. I was happy to play online but heists have made it much harder since that's all anyone wants to do now. Hosting anything else is futile.

I'm still having fun with it, it's amazing that years and hundreds of hours later there's still content left, but I'm reaching the end and it's a bit sad, that's all. Especially since I can't seem to find another ps4 game to get into.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, heists are kind of a double edged sword. They're a whole lot of fun if you have a group and the payout is incredible, but I count myself lucky to get in a race with more than 4 other guys in it. You can still get deathmatches sometimes too, but anything else? Forget about it. It's going to be nice getting in on the PC version on the ground floor. There will be enough new players that even with heists, there's still going to be a lot of people looking for race wins so they can upgrade their cars. Also I'll actually be able to get beyond the first heist since I'll have friends to play them with.

Part of me wishes that the DLC was paid and that the payouts for everything aside from heists was higher just for the variety. It's a whole lot of fun when everybody isn't just looking for whatever has the biggest reward.

edit: Honestly I think heist set-up missions should have a small payout for the hired help at least, if not for the host. Nobody wants to help out with the set-ups, they just want in on the heists themselves.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 28, 2015

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Considering that the pre-order has been in the top 5 steam best-sellers since it was made available, I doubt that there will be any shortage of players for any aspect of online for a while after this game comes out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably not? It's being done by the same team that ported Max Payne 3, which runs like a dream and has some of the best optimization of anything released this decade.
It'd be better to compare how LA Noire works, since that seems to be the same underlying engine. The Payne Engine has always been crazy optimised though. I remember when Half Life 2 came out and everyone raving about how amazing it looked, and thinking 'Max Payne 2 looked better than this a year ago.' Maybe not more technically competent, but sharper textures, same physics and much smoother frame rate.

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah, heists are kind of a double edged sword. They're a whole lot of fun if you have a group and the payout is incredible, but I count myself lucky to get in a race with more than 4 other guys in it. You can still get deathmatches sometimes too, but anything else? Forget about it.
It's because they hosed up the rp/sp system, or forgot about it. Before everyone realised how long heists were going to be delayed, everyone hypothesised that sp was going to be used to start heists, so you'd have to do a few missions / races / deathmatches in order to have enough sp to start a heist. This would have completely alleviated the problem you mentioned and made heist players feel like even more of a special snowflake.

Then everyone noticed sp was only persistent within playlists and lobbies, and it quickly became an absolutely useless stat.

Part of the problem with heists is that they left them for so long, the community started hypothesising and coming up with so many cool ideas that in the end they could never live up to everyone's hopes. I personally wanted them to happen in open lobbies so that pubbies could gently caress with you during the getaway - like there'd be a notification goes out saying "maze bank in grapeseed has just been robbed!" and it would be up to you to book it over there and see if you could survive the chaos long enough to get the robbers to drop a bag or two.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 28, 2015

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

drat guys I didn't know the downgrade was this bad

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

How far are you into the game? They might not appear until after a certain mission (though I don't THINK this is the case.)

I've completed it. The problem seems to have disappeared, though? I guess it was some kind of temporary bug because no helicopters were spawning anywhere at all, not even at Trevor's hangar in Sandy Shores. They're appearing now however, but for a while it was driving me crazy. I was doing loops from heli spawn to heli spawn with all characters, sleeping after each trip to see if a different time of day would help etc. but nothing would.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's even a "solo" mode that cuts you off from all the other people and takes out missions/activities that require more than one person.

How do you activate solo mode? I recently tried GTA Online for the first time and was completely overwhelmed. I did the race at the start but then it told me to go somewhere, which turned out to be some deathmatch thing? The problem was nobody was willing to join (I did the 'invite everyone' option) and so after 10 minutes I got fed up and just went around the world, but I had no real idea what I was doing and it seemed every activity I tried to do required a bunch of people to join, and they never accepted the invites. If I can switch it over to this solo mode and do the activities to level up etc. while getting to grips with it, that would be great.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If I remember rightly, you go into single player, pause, then go to the online menu, choose start a new session or something like that, and it will give you a choice of starting an open session, friends only, crew only, invite only or solo. Your options are limited with solo, invite only is pretty much solo except you have the full range of activities (although it gets bugged and starts letting in randoms seemingly every other patch).

It does require an internet connection because it needs to verify updates to your character (purchases, rp gains and unlocks) with the servers to make sure you're not cheating, and also store your character in the :yaycloud:.

Also join a goon crew! Thread is here, LLJK are the biggest and do not trust anyone who promises not to shoot / sticky you. Missions with goons will be a game changer. I am not a social gamer at all normally, but I had a blast with online until I developed a crippling addiction to grinding for purple orbs (Destiny).

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It'd be better to compare how LA Noire works, since that seems to be the same underlying engine. The Payne Engine has always been crazy optimised though. I remember when Half Life 2 came out and everyone raving about how amazing it looked, and thinking 'Max Payne 2 looked better than this a year ago.' Maybe not more technically competent, but sharper textures, same physics and much smoother frame rate.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Advanced_Game_Engine

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

THE loving MOON posted:

edit: Honestly I think heist set-up missions should have a small payout for the hired help at least

They do.

Most of the heists have 5 setup missions and the heist finale. Playing on hard, the setup missions pay out ~$26k so the crew members make about $130k before the final cut. Depending on the heist, a 40/20/20/20 split generally gets everyone in the same ballpark for total payout.

E:

The final GTAO heist costs the host $100k in setup fees. The max payout is $1.25 mil, but you'll almost certainly lose some money so figure on about 1 million. At 40/20/20/20 it looks like:

Crew:
Setup payout: $26k*5
Cut: $200k
Total: $330k

Leader:
Cut: $400k
Startup costs: -100k
Total: $300k

titties fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 28, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Considering that the pre-order has been in the top 5 steam best-sellers since it was made available, I doubt that there will be any shortage of players for any aspect of online for a while after this game comes out.

Just wait til we get the hackers... :allears:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Songbearer posted:

It's been in since the beginning. But you have to get there through the "Play GTA Online" options in single player.. Same with invite only friends only and crew options. This may have changed but you can only get to a new open session from the Online menu not choose the type.

This is probably why I'm downvoted when I suggest this to the ponies and rainbowers over at reddit who complain about aggressive players and me blowing up their personal vehicles.

But if I'm not getting downvoted there, I'm doing something wrong.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

titties posted:

They do.

Most of the heists have 5 setup missions and the heist finale. Playing on hard, the setup missions pay out ~$26k so the crew members make about $130k before the final cut. Depending on the heist, a 40/20/20/20 split generally gets everyone in the same ballpark for total payout.

E:

The final GTAO heist costs the host $100k in setup fees. The max payout is $1.25 mil, but you'll almost certainly lose some money so figure on about 1 million. At 40/20/20/20 it looks like:

Crew:
Setup payout: $26k*5
Cut: $200k
Total: $330k

Leader:
Cut: $400k
Startup costs: -100k
Total: $300k

They do? poo poo. I don't know how I missed that. Well it will still be easier for me to get together a heist team on the PC.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

GTA IV and V, Max Payne 3, and LA Noire all operate on the exact same RAGE engine. The first two Max Payne games used MAX-FX 1.0, but Rockstar has begun using a single in-house engine for everything starting with that table tennis game and GTA IV.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

GTA IV and V, Max Payne 3, and LA Noire all operate on the exact same RAGE engine. The first two Max Payne games used MAX-FX 1.0, but Rockstar has begun using a single in-house engine for everything starting with that table tennis game and GTA IV.

Where's your source on LA Noire running on RAGE? It uses Havok physics instead of Bullet+Euphoria, for example. It wasn't even developed by any of the Rockstar studios (though they did pitch in down the track).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I retract my statement about LA Noire in bafflement, given how much of the GTA map / facial animation was recycled from it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SwissCM posted:

Where's your source on LA Noire running on RAGE? It uses Havok physics instead of Bullet+Euphoria, for example. It wasn't even developed by any of the Rockstar studios (though they did pitch in down the track).

Actually you were right. LA Noire ran on a completely custom engine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That might explain why it basically runs like total garbage! :v:

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Ran pretty well for me. (PS3)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Snowcow posted:

Ran pretty well for me. (PS3)

and on my PC as well as my PS3 before I gave my brother the console copy.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
PS3 version of LA noire I feel was probably the best one. I don't doubt the PC is better now, or is just by graphical fidelity, but the ps3 was a smooth 30fps, not terrible load times and was only 1 disc for a physical copy.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
In the single player I need to raise 10k as Trevor to buy the airfield (I screwed up trying to double dip after the first assassination by putting money into Bilkington, but forgot to wait for the price to hit rock bottom first), what's a quick way for him to get the cash?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A couple of armored trucks will get you that amount.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I just started a playthrough of San Andreas on the PC again and man, I'm amazed at how well it holds up. It was never the prettiest game in the world and that's still true today, but man is it a fun game. The vehicle handling is still really nice and I forgot just how phenomenal the soundtrack is.

Also:

:downs:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

drat, Songbearer, you a busta.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Gonna be getting this for PC. Is online play just a bunch of missions or do goons still do fun poo poo like OJ and driving the goonbus up Mt. Chilliad?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

Gonna be getting this for PC. Is online play just a bunch of missions or do goons still do fun poo poo like OJ and driving the goonbus up Mt. Chilliad?

Join us in the online thread and find out!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Two months late but Reset Button did a video on GTA that I thought was really spot-on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMbW24ggTmE

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Songbearer posted:

I just started a playthrough of San Andreas on the PC again and man, I'm amazed at how well it holds up. It was never the prettiest game in the world and that's still true today, but man is it a fun game. The vehicle handling is still really nice and I forgot just how phenomenal the soundtrack is.

Also:

:downs:

Just broke out my copy of SA for PC, too. But me being a sucker for mods, I'm trying to install DeeZire's "Things To Do In San Andreas" mod and the damned thing keeps crashing at the loading screen. :mad:

circ dick soleil posted:

Two months late but Reset Button did a video on GTA that I thought was really spot-on.

I get what this guy's saying: players want to feel smart, accomplished and rewarded for thinking outside of the box and finishing missions in the most expedient and creative manner possible. On the other hand, the devs have this whole scripted cinematic mission laid out that requires you to do a specific set of actions to achieve the dev's vision of how the mission should play out. Too bad the players feel this is boring, frustrating and draw-out as poo poo.

You know which GTA game gave you the most freedom to solve the mission however you saw fit? The original GTA and GTA2. Coincidentally, those games had the fewest cinematics.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 31, 2015

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Just broke out my copy of SA for PC, too. But me being a sucker for mods, I'm trying to install DeeZire's "Things To Do In San Andreas" mod and the damned thing keeps crashing at the loading screen. :mad:

I think TTD might require a DEP exception.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

K8.0 posted:

I think TTD might require a DEP exception.

I have DEP turned on for "essential Windows programs and services only," so I didn't think I'd had to make an exception for this one program.

E: Created a clean GTASA install, used the downgrader patch, made that DEP exception, changed the GTASA folder from "read only" and finally installed the mod pack. It works now.

TTDSA adds a lot of missing dialog that helps fill in some blanks.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 31, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally pre-ordered on Steam a few minutes ago. I'm pretty sure it's not getting delayed this time, and also I'm a sucker and I wanted that in-game money pre-order bonus even though I checked Social Club and I have more than enough in the bank already :haw:

2 more weeks!

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

circ dick soleil posted:

"A stuntman who isn't allowed to read the script" is a pretty dead on description for the GTA IV missions. I still feel like the game was worth playing, and got better with the DLC.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

It was 2 weeks before release the last time they delayed it too.

But no you're right, it would be suicide for them to delay it again at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It was 2 weeks before release the last time they delayed it too.

But no you're right, it would be suicide for them to delay it again at this point.
True :smithicide:

But they just released those new screenshots and they said they're releasing a PC trailer this week and the pre-order bonus expires tomorrow and and and

• Locked thread