Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Tunga posted:

and should the skills list be more a more succinct list of keywords or is it fine as I have it?

Random thoughts:

I'd group the Android experience a bit more, which should also reduce the number of bullet points and repetitive prose.

Generally, it's pretty hard to figure what you actually did, e.g.:

"Optimised views and business logic to improve performance across the app."
"Rewrote location tracking to improve user journeys and optimise battery use."
"Worked closely with QA team to improve testing automation and other processes."

Which just makes me wonder...how?

Compare those to the other points in the same job which are more concrete.

"Advised clients on mobile best practices and Android design principles."
"Mentored new team members to explain existing code and encouraged best practices."
"Pushed for increased use of agile development methodologies across various projects."

Feels like it's saying the same 3 times.

WTF is a Duke of Edinburgh award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
EDIT: ^^^^ What Skuto said

A lot of the "Skills And Experience" stuff feels like things that could be put in the history section with specific examples. For example:

quote:

Experience building for multiple devices and dealing with fragmentation issues on Android.

Makes sense, considering it's Android Development. But how? What did you do? When and for who? Was it on the job, or just a side project?

There are also quite a few bullet points where I kept wondering "Okay... and?". For example:

quote:

Optimized views and business logic to improve performance across the app.
Replaced multiple incompatible in-app networking implementations with Retrofit.

Awesome, and? Was there an improvement? What did doing this actually help you with? Did it improve some workflow at the company?

Also I would shorten this to a page. A lot of the Skills & Experience feel like filler.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Maleh-Vor posted:

How seriously should I consider trying to make a move into CS in something like web/app development at 31? I'm definitely "late to the game" at this point.

Employers generally don't care how old you are or how much experience you have, they care if you can Get Things Done and can demonstrate a track record of Getting Things Done. I know two people who made the switch from other, totally unrelated careers, into development, in their early 30s. The thing they had in common is that they both programmed for fun in their spare time and had a big portfolio of projects to show off to get over the hump of "why should I hire you to program if you've never done it professionally before?".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sarehu posted:

These sentences all have the same grammar mistake. The first has another.
It's legit to refer to companies in the plural form in UK English. I assume that's what you are talking about.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Maleh-Vor posted:

I have maybe the rest of the year where I can get 2-3 hours a day outside my work schedule to learn some usable skills. How seriously should I consider trying to make a move into CS in something like web/app development at 31? I'm definitely "late to the game" at this point.

Pure CS is probably a stretch, but there is tons of work for a good UI developer. Doing modern web applications involves a lot of design, and having someone that can do not just the design but can implement a few layers deeper can be very valuable. Especially since you have some UI design experience already, I think you should start looking at things like HTML5, CSS, AngularJS, React, etc.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies.

Skuto posted:

I'd group the Android experience a bit more, which should also reduce the number of bullet points and repetitive prose.
[...]
Generally, it's pretty hard to figure what you actually did
Good points, thanks. I just wrote this part today, I'll definitely go over them again and try to make some of these more concrete.

Skuto posted:

Feels like it's saying the same 3 times.
Agreed, will squish these together.

Skuto posted:

WTF is a Duke of Edinburgh award.
It's a well known thing in the UK. I could remove this now but people seem to like asking me about it in interviews and I'm not really struggling for space.

Drastic Actions posted:

Makes sense, considering it's Android Development. But how? What did you do? When and for who? Was it on the job, or just a side project?
Yeah, this is a little difficult because the answer is "all of the time" but I can try to turn it into a specific example instead.

Drastic Actions posted:

Also I would shorten this to a page. A lot of the Skills & Experience feel like filler.
I'll squish some stuff and see how it ends up but it's worth noting that two-page CVs are more standard in the UK than they are in the US.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 10, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Tunga posted:

It's legit to refer to companies in the plural form in UK English. I assume that's what you are talking about.

Let's burn down the entire country.

First sentence still is messed up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sarehu posted:

Let's burn down the entire country.

First sentence still is messed up.
Not seeing anything. Is it "customer reward solutions"? I might rephrase that, it reads a bit awkwardly in that sentence, though it is technically the correct term for what the business does.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Tunga posted:

Not seeing anything. Is it "customer reward solutions"? I might rephrase that, it reads a bit awkwardly in that sentence, though it is technically the correct term for what the business does.

There's a gerund where there shouldn't be later on in the sentence.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

sarehu posted:

"Monitise (Content) provide ticketing and customer reward solutions to large financial and corporate clients, as well as operating consumer-facing services in these same areas."

"Apptivation are a mobile development agency operating primarily in the financial services sector."

"Satori provide address quality and mail management software solutions for the US and UK markets."

These sentences all have the same grammar mistake. The first has another.

Not in the UK, where collective nouns take the plural.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ullerrm posted:

questions that sound technical on the surface but basically come down to "tell me about something neat on your resume in as much detail as you can manage.

This is basically my whole interviewing process, and sometime's it's like pulling loving teeth getting people to talk about what they did and stuff they worked on.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bit of a grammar tangent but:

Blotto Skorzany posted:

There's a gerund where there shouldn't be later on in the sentence.
I dispute that this is incorrect. "As well as", in this context, is synonymous with "in addition to", so it is correct to use the -ing form of the verb. Also the clauses should be reversible and still make sense, but with your suggestion this would lead to the sentence starting "As well as operate".

e.g.
I play football, as well as eating food.
As well as eating food, I play football.

http://site.uit.no/english/grammar/aswellas/ (last example)
http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/usage/as-well-as.ht
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2010/3/25/resources-and-energy/google-and-rios-tough-china-call (first sentence)

There seems to be some debate about this, especially on grammar forums (apparently this is a thing) but to me it reads as perfectly good English. I also asked a couple of friends and they agreed.

quote:

Burchfield spends quite a bit of time addressing this issue (believe it or not). He notes that "In most circumstances as well as may be idiomatically accompanied by a gerund, as in "The protagonists are mercilessly guyed by the author, as well as being clobbered by the 'system.'" Then Burchfield notes that in 1926, Fowler had argued that in certain circumstances the gerund is better replaced by another part of the verb in order to match the part of the verb used in the introductory clause. One example he gives, then, is "His death leaves a gap as well as creating a by-election in Ross and Cromarty," in which "creates" would be substituted for "creating" as a parallel to "leaves." Burchfield concludes by saying that "there is room for disagreement in sentences containing as well as followed by a gerund. Each case must be judged on its merits." Personally, I don't find that particularly helpful, but I would leave you with the counsel that you are not alone in your dilemma and with the advice that there's nothing wrong with the little conjunction and.
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/grammarlogs3/grammarlogs455.htm

I might rephrase it to avoid any confusion but it's not objectively incorrect.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 11, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
so you're equally good at playing football and eating food or what

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I used to have my eating food skills broken out on my resume. Only got called out on it once, it was a panel style interview where this energetic junior guy tried asking me all these questions about it, even asked me out to dinner. The woman was a lot smarter, had an apple in her purse ready to test me on the spot. But we agreed that just by virtue of being this far in the process it wouldn't make any sense for me to be unable to eat.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

I used to have my eating food skills broken out on my resume. Only got called out on it once, it was a panel style interview where this energetic junior guy tried asking me all these questions about it, even asked me out to dinner. The woman was a lot smarter, had an apple in her purse ready to test me on the spot. But we agreed that just by virtue of being this far in the process it wouldn't make any sense for me to be unable to eat.
You're lucky they didn't ask you to consume large amounts of sugary carbonated liquid to see how it affects your activity levels.

You know, the old FizzBuzz test.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Yes, but can you eat well? Can you eat the things the company needs you to eat? Frankly, I think they really dropped the ball in that interview.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
If a place says "we'll let you know (yay or nay)" and then just doesn't get back to you, how late into the game can they go "oh btw still want the job?"

Because I'm now 2-0 for flaking out and this is getting a bit irritating. I'm glad I got my interviewing groove back on and all that but my god I'd like to at least know if it's a "no" so I can stop hoping and start applying that much harder?

That said, keep applying and interviewing until you get a written offer.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Space Whale posted:

If a place says "we'll let you know (yay or nay)" and then just doesn't get back to you, how late into the game can they go "oh btw still want the job?"

That's really up to you, however, the longer it is, the lower down on their list you were of people they actually wanted. Or they are shitheads who can't manage to get back to people in time.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

PongAtari posted:

By "real-world experience" I mean, "programming experience gained at a programming job" rather than "hobbyist" programming. I've heard a lot of conflicting information and I'm basically trying to figure out whether I should keep trying to learn on my own or bite the bullet, take on a few more tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and find a way to get a CS degree while working a full-time job.

I have no degree and the only university experience I have is a drop out. I've been self teaching and hobbyist programming for a few years, but really buckled down and studied for a year while contributing to open source projects.

Not only have I found two jobs so far, I've beat out those with degrees.

You'll probably have to sell yourself heavily and demonstrate that you know what your doing more than those with a cs degree but you're far from unemployable.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Space Whale posted:

When they say this you should reply, "when do you expect to make your decision?" Not being able to answer you is a red flag, as is not being able to decide by the deadline they give themselves.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Yeah, generally someone will get back to you within a few days, if for no other reason than to say "we're working on an offer letter, hang tight"

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I would say it also depends on the company... big, like really big companies, are bad about this. It can be very bureaucratic and slow.

Old companies and... for example, companies that don't primarily deal in software but where software is still a chunk of their business, might behave similarly.

Might not hurt to followup and ask about it... I've heard about some people who do hiring wait for a followup call to gauge interest.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tunga posted:

You're lucky they didn't ask you to consume large amounts of sugary carbonated liquid to see how it affects your activity levels.

You know, the old FizzBuzz test.

Got that ol' Sloe Gin Fizz buzz.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mniot posted:

When they say this you should reply, "when do you expect to make your decision?" Not being able to answer you is a red flag, as is not being able to decide by the deadline they give themselves.

I'd also ask about any large milestones upcoming. I've been in games for too long but it's expected here that leading up to GDC/E3/PAX/Gamescon that some decision makers are going to be radio silent until the work is done.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

I would say it also depends on the company... big, like really big companies, are bad about this. It can be very bureaucratic and slow.

Old companies and... for example, companies that don't primarily deal in software but where software is still a chunk of their business, might behave similarly.

Might not hurt to followup and ask about it... I've heard about some people who do hiring wait for a followup call to gauge interest.

After I follow up and get nothing is when I just start going "ok, gently caress it."

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

JawnV6 posted:

He is almost too human to be credible.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
How long is too long to stay at your first SE job out of college? I've been here at a very small company (about 5 guys) for a year and a half so far. It has a lot of upsides: I like it a lot, the work is fairly interesting, I'm compensated well, I'm pretty sure I have more autonomy here than I would anywhere else at this point in my career, and overall I'm very comfortable. I don't really want to leave yet, but I don't want to stay too long if it's going to hurt my career later on. Even if the compensation remains competitive, at what point do I need to leave just to avoid having only one job on my resume?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Colour posted:

a year and a half

Not that long. Let's say 15 years is too long. Try to notice when the work stops being interesting or you stop learning.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

sarehu posted:

you stop learning.
Pretty much. I was at my first job for 8 years and I've been asked, but "I wore a lot of hats, worked on a lot of teams" kinda narrative is more than enough explanation. I've gotten accustomed to joking about how short the average stint is, in my last round of interviews it totally sailed by someone who was at his first job for 12 years.

Colour posted:

I'm pretty sure I have more autonomy here than I would anywhere else at this point in my career,
Ok, so you're in an environment without a structured process. You're learning habits on your own instead of from a seasoned professional who can guide you around bad pitfalls and explain tradeoffs you might be unaware of. Does your office have a structured mentoring program?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My situation is almost the opposite. I am using dead end god awful .net garbage. The code base is a Frankenstein's monster of legacy code, with each portion being a stiched on cadaver limb from the dozen or so companies aquired over the last 20 years. I have received almost no guidance or training. The communication is nonexistant.
Just a bad situation that does not make me feel comfortable at all because I do not feel like this is giving me any development whatsoever other than lessons in what to avoid and future questions to ask during interviews. I use my huge stretches of idle time during work learning and practicing mainly with JavaScript and then go home tired and stressed out because I need to hit the ejection button on this place asap after just 7 months here.
Never work in Florida pretty much which seems to be this threads running theme. But I was pretty desperate for work being a mostly self taught guy looking for his first job.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Colour posted:

How long is too long to stay at your first SE job out of college?
Don't stay longer than you have to at a job you don't like. Conversely, don't leave a job you do like "just because".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sarehu posted:

Not that long. Let's say 15 years is too long. Try to notice when the work stops being interesting or you stop learning.

Is it still considered "learning" if a lot of what I'm learning relates to either crazy complicated details about the doman knowledge of one of our specific apps, how Rails monoliths are hell to not just refactor but understand, and how little I'm excited by my job?

Yes, I know what you're going to say.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Is it still considered "learning" if a lot of what I'm learning relates to either crazy complicated details about the doman knowledge of one of our specific apps, how Rails monoliths are hell to not just refactor but understand, and how little I'm excited by my job?

Not all knowledge is valuable. Some has negative value. You don't want to be learning a bunch of detailed domain knowledge if it is completely nontransferable to other jobs.

As Bill Fillmaff would say, you want +EV.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

opportunity cost

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably end up staying until I feel that the negatives start to out weigh the positives.

JawnV6 posted:

Ok, so you're in an environment without a structured process. You're learning habits on your own instead of from a seasoned professional who can guide you around bad pitfalls and explain tradeoffs you might be unaware of. Does your office have a structured mentoring program?

The biggest downside of my job is a lack of learning opportunities. I still learn stuff day-to-day, but it's definitely slowing down a bit since there are only two other devs I work with. Both of them have more experience than me, but we're all roughly around the same skill level (one comes from a sysadmin background, the other from academia/government work) . Working on a team this small has its benefits I plan on highlighting when I update my resume, but when I do ultimately leave, this is most likely going to be the reason why.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Colour posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably end up staying until I feel that the negatives start to out weigh the positives.

The biggest downside of my job is a lack of learning opportunities. I still learn stuff day-to-day, but it's definitely slowing down a bit since there are only two other devs I work with. Both of them have more experience than me, but we're all roughly around the same skill level (one comes from a sysadmin background, the other from academia/government work) . Working on a team this small has its benefits I plan on highlighting when I update my resume, but when I do ultimately leave, this is most likely going to be the reason why.

That's a perfectly valid reason for leaving a company, especially when on great terms.

I wouldn't sweat it TOO much, but if you feel like the job is starting to do more negative then positive, maybe start thinking of a change.

Dont jump the shark tho

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Colour posted:

This is a good place to be. Focus on learning and doing good work, and keep your eyes open for something better. You can take your time evaluating opportunities, and when the right one comes up, go for it.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Skandranon posted:

This is a good place to be. Focus on learning and doing good work, and keep your eyes open for something better. You can take your time evaluating opportunities, and when the right one comes up, go for it.

Really, this. You sound like you're in a fun and somewhat rewarding environment, don't get jaded too fast. You even make what you call fairly good compensation...

Enjoy the environment and look when you feel 100% ready to move on.

E: not that I really see it happening, but if future employers get weary of you have a long term position... Well just sell it. You enjoyed the work, loved the environment, and are only moving now because you want to move on to bigger/better or whatever.

Really tho, I don't see many employers fussing about it. If you've maintained a position for that long, you've clearly got something going for you.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 13, 2015

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Are quant firms in London inherently high-stress or does it entirely depend on the role/company? I've heard bad things about the financial culture but I have no idea how substantiated it is. Either way still got an interview next week :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I got a cold email from Amazon saying they're coming to town and want to know if I'd like to interview. It hasn't even been 6 months at my current company yet but I feel like this would be good practice and a good opportunity.

What do you think I should do? I probably won't get it but it probably wouldn't hurt, right?