Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well he loves Coyote very much. And he's all about restraining your emotions. Well until he snaps and tries to murder a teenager, but it's not surprising he would not raise a fuss in front of the Court.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Podima posted:

I'm kind of impressed/surprised at how fast Ysengrin decided he was okay with being forcibly retired!
Ysengrin isn't exactly the diplomatic sort. He probably saw this as a waste of time, so he's totally willing to let someone he trusts take over for him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Sure you got no emotions, Jones.

If she truly had no emotions, wouldn't she just stay wherever she was, not doing anything at all? Emotion it what makes one move (that's why there's "motion" in it). In the absence of other forms of impetus such as biological needs (eating, drinking, finding shelter, reproducing, etc.), she has no reason to do anything at all. She could just stand in place without moving until the Sun swallows the Earth.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I see Jones as being motivated purely by intellectual curiosity. She involves herself with the Court because they are similarly interested, and they give her plenty of experience with the human condition, good and bad. Therefore it's in her interests to counsel Mr. Rudemaster here. I don't know what specifically makes her vested in Annie's future.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

I reckon she is vested in Annie's future for the very same reason that she keeps a scrapbook of all of her previous companions in life (she has emotions and cares about people whether or not she recognizes it as such). If she did not care about them in her own way there would be absolutely no reason to carry their memories on through pictures and by taking their names.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Roger Explosion posted:

That was a level 9 eyebrow raise there, Smit. Control yourself, you might hurt someone.

That's what happens when you give the quiet ones some power. Let that be a lesson to you, Headmaster.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wonder whether this really was planned out on the Headmaster's part or not. He's not exactly telling her she can't do it, or at least saying she needs parental/guardian permission being under 16 and all. Then again, he looks like he can't wait for this meeting to be over and done with, and couldn't care less what the outcome is.

Love the faces and confusion in the last panel-almost as good as the Reynard grin.

I don't remember if it was mentioned or not-can Coyote forcibly take back the powers/gifts he gives away, or does the receiver have to willingly give them back? Thinking mostly of Ysengrin here.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cat Mattress posted:

If she truly had no emotions, wouldn't she just stay wherever she was, not doing anything at all? Emotion it what makes one move (that's why there's "motion" in it). In the absence of other forms of impetus such as biological needs (eating, drinking, finding shelter, reproducing, etc.), she has no reason to do anything at all. She could just stand in place without moving until the Sun swallows the Earth.

Don't want to get too nerdy here, but she is kind of like Data from Star Trek, in that she says she has no emotions, and acts like it to the casual observer, but if you actually step back and take a look at her actions over the course of the comic, it's pretty obvious she does have some feelings, even if she doesn't realise it herself. (Ignore the whole emotion chip thing in Generations and onwards, that was awful and kinda missed the point).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Yep, but on the other hand, it's obvious what kind of issues it would create if one side was allowed undue relationship and leverage with the other's diplomat. "Tell this lie, give that faked report to your master, or else your protection might vanish". He is warning her beforehand of what might happens before she does, too, instead of just saying afterwards. So I don't see how so far he fails in his duty of care: He just point out that making a certain choice will make a part of that duty impossible.

That's not her choice to make. Until her father withdraws her from the custody of the court they must do their best to protect her, even if it results in limiting her choices. She's a thirteen year old child; their responsibility to their care of her outweighs adult concerns she might have. Again, let me emphasise that. Thirteen year old child. They have an obvious both legal and moral obligation to protect her as her temporary entrusted guardian.

I know, I know, it's part of the suspension of belief we take on for the comic to exist at all. I'm just saying: not thinking much of you and your 'cannot protect or assist you' right now, headmaster. :reject:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 22, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Podima posted:

I'm kind of impressed/surprised at how fast Ysengrin decided he was okay with being forcibly retired!

He realizes it's a great opportunity to mess with the Court now.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Filthy Haiku posted:

Ysengrin isn't exactly the diplomatic sort. He probably saw this as a waste of time, so he's totally willing to let someone he trusts take over for him.

Assuming Coyote's recent theft of his memories was limited to just the immediate incident prior to it, he's quite fond of Annie, and I could buy that his concern for her outweighed his outrage at being dismissed.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

MikeJF posted:

That's not her choice to make. Until her father withdraws her from the custody of the court they must do their best to protect her, even if it results in limiting her choices. She's a thirteen year old child; their responsibility to their care of her outweighs adult concerns she might have. Again, let me emphasise that. Thirteen year old child. They have an obvious both legal and moral obligation to protect her as her temporary entrusted guardian.

I know, I know, it's part of the suspension of belief we take on for the comic to exist at all. I'm just saying: not thinking much of you and your 'cannot protect or assist you' right now, headmaster. :reject:

Man, I haven't really been keeping track of ages, but it never occurred to me that Annie is supposed to still be that young. Tom is really running into a problem here with his comic maturing at a way faster rate than his characters. Now that he's past the "two years before hearing from her father" timescale, he's not really bound to anything (as far as I remember). Might be about time to kick the pace into high gear or have a timeskip or do something else to allow for their ages to line up a little more reasonably with their personalities.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well hey, the headmaster's finally showing a bit more emotion than boredom. This is proving to be very, very interesting.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
I have no real problem seeing Annie as 13 or 14 (do we know when her birthday is?) myself.

She's very immature in a lot of ways, for all that she's surprisingly mature in others.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Leovinus posted:

I guess it's pretty possible that this is all part of the headmaster's scheme, since the Court now basically has three mediums. Media. But Coyote knows a ruse when he sees one, and he hasn't said anything about it.
I have to wonder whether Coyote cares about Antimony as his medium, or if this is all a play to draw Renard out of the Court again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Someone's probably beat me to this joke but

'Is that a face, Headmaster?'

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Cestrian posted:

I have no real problem seeing Annie as 13 or 14 (do we know when her birthday is?) myself.

She's very immature in a lot of ways, for all that she's surprisingly mature in others.

Growing up in a hospital talking to ghosts and grim reapers does not a well-adjusted person make.

She's shown some real growth since coming to the school though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Anyone who recovers from a massive football-shaped tumor is bound to have gone through some development.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I don't know if Jones was trying to burn the Headmaster in that third panel, but I totally love how she did it.

Also Smit/Parl.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 22, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Parley's looking mighty proud of her man there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
IMO she looks kind of... creepy. Almost looks a little bit crazed to me.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

VictorGrunn posted:

I wonder what the odds are that someone - maybe Johnathan himself - will tell Ysengrin, "You attacked Annie during her last visit. How can we trust you?" Was that whole event just swept under the rug?

I think this is going to happen on Monday. It will cause a huge shitstorm and it will be glorious.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

VictorGrunn posted:

I wonder what the odds are that someone - maybe Johnathan himself - will tell Ysengrin, "You attacked Annie during her last visit. How can we trust you?" Was that whole event just swept under the rug?

How many people know? Annie told Jones, but did either of them or Eglamore tell anyone else what happened?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Jones is probably autonomous enough to keep it to herself, but Eglamore's too solidly in the court's camp not to report it. If nothing else, it wouldn't be very responsible from the perspective of keeping Annie safe.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
What's the most efficient way to get merch and support the comic? Like, does Tom get a good cut from Topotaco, or is there some other store? I have some hazy memory of there being some debate about this.

Also just realized that Kat's dad's name is Donald 'Donny' Donlan.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

immortal flow posted:

What's the most efficient way to get merch and support the comic? Like, does Tom get a good cut from Topotaco, or is there some other store? I have some hazy memory of there being some debate about this.

Also just realized that Kat's dad's name is Donald 'Donny' Donlan.

Tom has stated that he gets a really good cut from Topatco. His book sales elsewhere are apparently very unprofitable for him.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

MikeJF posted:

Eh, to a point, I agree with you. However, the Court seems to have a fairly relaxed attitude regarding age, considering how Smitty, Parsons and Annie were trained as medium, and in the former, actually appointed medium and dragon slayer apprentice. Similarly, Kat has access to a pretty nice and dangerous lab for someone her age and Paz seems to hold part time job with responsabilities, so maybe the rules are different there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
All the serious poo poo you see at the court makes you grow up so fast. And I think that Parley is due to graduate and just got the job? Jimmy Jims was in like second year or something it seems when he started his training.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
:sbahj: the headmaster really got it back in his face here.
I can't help but feel that this is what Coyote wanted all along. Thing is, that's kinda how it always feels. He's just chill with everything.

Is it stated somewhere how often the mediums do their mediuming? Cause as someone said, there was apparently a really long while after Surma died.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Line Feed posted:

I think this is going to happen on Monday. It will cause a huge shitstorm and it will be glorious.

It's almost like Coyote would intentionally use it to drive a wedge between the Court and the Forest. "Look at how they falsely accuse us!" he would tell Ysengrin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Eh, to a point, I agree with you. However, the Court seems to have a fairly relaxed attitude regarding age, considering how Smitty, Parsons and Annie were trained as medium, and in the former, actually appointed medium and dragon slayer apprentice. Similarly, Kat has access to a pretty nice and dangerous lab for someone her age and Paz seems to hold part time job with responsabilities, so maybe the rules are different there.

Training or letting a kid do a part-time job under the supervision of adults is fine and par for the course in real life, really, and Kat's lab was entrusted to her by her parents, who have the right to do that. A school letting their boarder tromp off into danger without parental permission and refusing to provide protection is something else entirely.

Axiem posted:

It's almost like Coyote would intentionally use it to drive a wedge between the Court and the Forest. "Look at how they falsely accuse us!" he would tell Ysengrin.

I doubt Annie would continue in her agreement to work for him if he's being so blatantly false and messed-up, though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SHISHKABOB posted:

You don't really remember teenage "love" do you? Smitface just earned major points

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Axiem posted:

Coyote never lies, except by omission. He'll probably just laugh it off if it comes up.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
Parley and Smitty are both probably over 16. (Smitty will turn 16 sometimes during the current school year, and Parley turned 16 last year).

In the UK they're legally allowed to leave education and have full time jobs (and have sex, for that matter). They're in a very different position to Annie.

I did kind of wish, earlier this week, that someone would take her aside and say 'not getting a job at 13-14 doesn't mean that your life's over. It's a little too early to have your career mapped out.'

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Cestrian posted:

Parley and Smitty are both probably over 16. (Smitty will turn 16 sometimes during the current school year, and Parley turned 16 last year).

In the UK they're legally allowed to leave education and have full time jobs (and have sex, for that matter). They're in a very different position to Annie.

I did kind of wish, earlier this week, that someone would take her aside and say 'not getting a job at 13-14 doesn't mean that your life's over. It's a little too early to have your career mapped out.'

Thing is, nobody thought she wouldn't get the job!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DekeThornton posted:

Just saw this pretty cool thing.

From here
Crossposting.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Crossposting.

Well, that's a crossover I'd never expected to see. It's hilarious.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

FriggenJ posted:

Coyote never lies, except by omission. He'll probably just laugh it off if it comes up.
"Ysengrin, is this true?"

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Interesting thought -- it's not what I got from the panel at all. To me Parley looks amused and trying hard not to laugh. This reminds me of one of those apperception tests with the ambiguous pictures that're supposed to give insight into what you're thinking based on how you describe them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Interesting thought -- it's not what I got from the panel at all. To me Parley looks amused and trying hard not to laugh.

She's wondering how much trouble she'd get in if she grabbed Smitty and started making out with him right in the middle of the meeting.