Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Dude there are so many of those posts. I can't stop laughing.

You weren't kidding... :haw:

SWTOR forum goer posted:

Bioware you just made every single legacy class related achievement completely worthless in a matter of days. Remember these?

/smugger
/trooper
/consular
/knight
/warrior
/inquisitor
/agent
/bountyhunter

now everyone will have these.... This is a complete slap in the face of those of us who actually slaved away for months to achieve these legacy perks. Now you have made it that anyone can get these in a matter of hours. I suggest removing these perks for those players who used the 12x boost to gain their levels. It is not fair to the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thank you for reminding me why I don't play games with pubbies.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hey, sometimes you just don't feel like joining a guild, you know? :shobon:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
All right, I've hit the point where I stopped having fun in the game as a Sith Sorcerer. I've been looking around online for solutions, but everything is mostly geared towards endgame min/maxing so I'm hoping for some help.

Here's my character, I was going for damage all the way. From what I can find, I should re-spec for Madness/Lightning based on this guide The dulfy.net dulfy guide looks better but since it's geared to max level max DPS strategies I don't know how helpful it'll be.

My problem is I will die really quickly if surrounded by 2 or more enemies and I can't kill strong enemies at my level quick enough. Currently I'm stuck at the Rist mission on Alderran where you cross through a quest door and have to survive an ambush by 4 level 30 assassins attacking you at once. My companion dies almost instantly, I die shortly after without even killing one of them. I've tried it a million ways, trying to kite them one at a time but as soon as one is attack it seems to trigger all of them. I hit a point earlier in the quest where 2 Trueshot soldiers guarding a door would kill me in seconds, but I managed to immoblize one of them and kill the other before Whirlwind wore off.

I've made 200k credits for an hour or two of playtime while running crew missions, so in a few days I'll have millions of credits to hit up GTN for gear, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting money when I do. I'm guessing I should buy augment kits to add mod slots to every piece of gear I have, focus on willpower+endurance, and fill out my inventory (relics all seem to be armor+endurance so get the best I can I assume).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pentyne posted:

All right, I've hit the point where I stopped having fun in the game as a Sith Sorcerer. I've been looking around online for solutions, but everything is mostly geared towards endgame min/maxing so I'm hoping for some help.

Here's my character, I was going for damage all the way. From what I can find, I should re-spec for Madness/Lightning based on this guide The dulfy.net dulfy guide looks better but since it's geared to max level max DPS strategies I don't know how helpful it'll be.

My problem is I will die really quickly if surrounded by 2 or more enemies and I can't kill strong enemies at my level quick enough. Currently I'm stuck at the Rist mission on Alderran where you cross through a quest door and have to survive an ambush by 4 level 30 assassins attacking you at once. My companion dies almost instantly, I die shortly after without even killing one of them. I've tried it a million ways, trying to kite them one at a time but as soon as one is attack it seems to trigger all of them. I hit a point earlier in the quest where 2 Trueshot soldiers guarding a door would kill me in seconds, but I managed to immoblize one of them and kill the other before Whirlwind wore off.

I've made 200k credits for an hour or two of playtime while running crew missions, so in a few days I'll have millions of credits to hit up GTN for gear, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting money when I do. I'm guessing I should buy augment kits to add mod slots to every piece of gear I have, focus on willpower+endurance, and fill out my inventory (relics all seem to be armor+endurance so get the best I can I assume).

That hybrid is dumb. Go lightning, your rotation should be to apply your dots (affliction, crushing darkness), then a lightning strike, then a procc'd chain lightning, proc'd force lightning (i think you have this at level 30?) and then lightning strike until your dots wear off or chain lightning procs again. For groups once you get force storm you can literally just cast force storm until chain lightning procs, hit chain lightning then go back to force storm. Throw out some afflictions if you like.

You need to get Khem Vel geared similarly to you. Throw bubbles on him and send him in first for mobs (ctrl-1). Only use tank companions, which means Khem until like level 48 unless you bought treek, you don't have enough survivability otherwise.

Oh and don't forget to use your heroic moment and threat drops (assuming khem is actually alive).

edit: don't put points in the double force shock thing and don't use force shock ever in lightning spec unless you're kiting or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You can also run a few KDY flashpoints for XP to gain a few levels to overlevel the stuff you're fighting.

Don't even think about augmenting until 55 - not necessary, and expensive. Relics aren't a huge deal either, if you find one you can use, cool, but don't seek them out.

If you're leveling off the Class XP boost, you're probably severely undergeared. Are you in the guild with us? Ask for help in guild chat and if people aren't up to much some of the nicer ones will run you through a level sufficient flashpoint (not KDY) where you can pick up some gear drops and XP.

Also, get Treek. Treek is an annoying gently caress but is god mode for companions.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've got my first companion. Is there any value in upping their affection? Any bonus side quests or something? IDK I'm level 12 and just like mashing stuff with 2 light sabers. Though I need to grow another arm to chain everything (Sith Marauder).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

darth cookie posted:

I've got my first companion. Is there any value in upping their affection? Any bonus side quests or something? IDK I'm level 12 and just like mashing stuff with 2 light sabers. Though I need to grow another arm to chain everything (Sith Marauder).

Yes, with higher affection, companions have a higher success rate for missions and a better chance of critting missions/crafting. Also there are conversations unlocked at various benchmarks, and a few of those lead to quests.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

You can also run a few KDY flashpoints for XP to gain a few levels to overlevel the stuff you're fighting.

Don't even think about augmenting until 55 - not necessary, and expensive. Relics aren't a huge deal either, if you find one you can use, cool, but don't seek them out.

If you're leveling off the Class XP boost, you're probably severely undergeared. Are you in the guild with us? Ask for help in guild chat and if people aren't up to much some of the nicer ones will run you through a level sufficient flashpoint (not KDY) where you can pick up some gear drops and XP.

Also, get Treek. Treek is an annoying gently caress but is god mode for companions.

I'm not in the guild yet. I've asked but nothing yet.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Welp, may as well fix that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

pentyne posted:

I'm not in the guild yet. I've asked but nothing yet.

Join the guild, silly. Even if we're unhelpful dicks, just being in the guild is an extra 10% xp boost.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

Join the guild, silly. Even if we're unhelpful dicks, just being in the guild is an extra 10% xp boost.

How does one join the guild? Do I make an application or do I have to accept an invite? If so; please send one to Pallapax.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Doing a /who for That's No Goon and sending someone a tell is generally your best bet. I refresh this thread every once in a while when I'm playing, but not constantly.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Blhue posted:

Doing a /who for That's No Goon and sending someone a tell is generally your best bet. I refresh this thread every once in a while when I'm playing, but not constantly.

Will do. I'm in an upside down timezone so we'll see if I can find someone next time I'm logged in.

Alasuojus
Jul 27, 2012

pentyne posted:

My problem is I will die really quickly if surrounded by 2 or more enemies and I can't kill strong enemies at my level quick enough.

I'm leveling a juggernaut with the xp boost and I started having trouble at the end of tatooine. I went and bought some cheap gear to replace stuff like white lvl < 10 wrists. Still, even after buying gear I still had about half the stats that my other same level juggernaut from launch on another server had. Stims, medpacks and cheesing mechanics (leaving the area to heal after killing the first guy) did the trick for me when fighting the two jedi.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

darth cookie posted:

Will do. I'm in an upside down timezone so we'll see if I can find someone next time I'm logged in.

Yay, more upside down timezone goons!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alasuojus posted:

I'm leveling a juggernaut with the xp boost and I started having trouble at the end of tatooine. I went and bought some cheap gear to replace stuff like white lvl < 10 wrists. Still, even after buying gear I still had about half the stats that my other same level juggernaut from launch on another server had. Stims, medpacks and cheesing mechanics (leaving the area to heal after killing the first guy) did the trick for me when fighting the two jedi.

I was level 31 finding it impossible, so I went to GTN and bought the absolute best stuff I could find close to my level for my sorcerer and Khal Vem, leveled up to 34, and managed to beat it. It's still getting pretty hard to fight normal enemies a few levels below me, and fighting more then 4 at a time usually means I die.

Up to this point, I've really enjoyed the game, but now it looks like I'll have to grind 3-4 levels above the mission level to beat it without it being frustratingly hard.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

pentyne posted:

I was level 31 finding it impossible, so I went to GTN and bought the absolute best stuff I could find close to my level for my sorcerer and Khal Vem, leveled up to 34, and managed to beat it. It's still getting pretty hard to fight normal enemies a few levels below me, and fighting more then 4 at a time usually means I die.

Up to this point, I've really enjoyed the game, but now it looks like I'll have to grind 3-4 levels above the mission level to beat it without it being frustratingly hard.

Make sure you're using your defensive cooldowns, your offheals and what not as required. Make sure Khem Val is in his tanking stance. Make him go first, and give him a few seconds to build up some threat. Then, go to town with the lightnings. So much lightnings. Shoot the little guys first.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Shoot the little guys first.

WHICH ONE'S THE LITTLE ONE?

Hey so tonight, Scum & Villainy, lets shoot for 8:30pm EST? I know the following said they were in -

Me
Storril
Sebreene
Turkish
Alter Ego
Glassya

Who else? Will have room for 8. I have a feeling someone else said they'd join...I know Hennimore said he may be available.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

WHICH ONE'S THE LITTLE ONE?

Hey so tonight, Scum & Villainy, lets shoot for 8:30pm EST? I know the following said they were in -

Me
Storril
Sebreene
Turkish
Alter Ego
Glassya

Who else? Will have room for 8. I have a feeling someone else said they'd join...I know Hennimore said he may be available.

I'll be around! That said, if we get more than 8, I will happily step out so I can keep leveling my alts, but I'm definitely available if you need me.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll be around! That said, if we get more than 8, I will happily step out so I can keep leveling my alts, but I'm definitely available if you need me.

Bring Fat Hennimore :colbert:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Thanks to 12x XP, finally finished the Sith Warrior story and hit level 51. I really enjoyed it, the character definitely felt like my own.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Welp...

Finally beat the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Welp...

Finally beat the game.

That's a cute start.

But you haven't beaten it until you've got 16 characters - one of each advanced class.

And even then, you haven't beaten it until you're at 32 - each advanced class, each sex.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

That's a cute start.

But you haven't beaten it until you've got 16 characters - one of each advanced class.

And even then, you haven't beaten it until you're at 32 - each advanced class, each sex.

Look at this casual, doesn't have one AC of each race :smug:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

That's a cute start.

Oh, that bolded part was done a long time ago (at level 50).

I'm not touching the last line though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Hulk Smash! posted:

Welp...

Finally beat the game.

As a SWTOR forum poster, I resent the 12x XP for giving you these easy mode achievements. Boo Bioware.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

As a SWTOR forum poster, I resent the 12x XP for giving you these easy mode achievements. Boo Bioware.

I swear I will never use any titles related to getting this achievement lest it demeans the actual Achievement of those who did it the right way :patriot:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've got a 55 of each advanced class on imperial side, and four 55s on the Republic side. Out of all those, I've only actually finished the story on my marauder, mercenary, assassin and operative. So I'm actually quite sad.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I've got a 55 of each advanced class on imperial side, and four 55s on the Republic side. Out of all those, I've only actually finished the story on my marauder, mercenary, assassin and operative. So I'm actually quite sad.

Well, the stories are kinda bland on the Republic side compared to Empire so it's not surprising. I'd personally rank them: Anything empire side->Smuggler->Consular->Knight->Trooper.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think the consular is the best republic side story if you actually cared about the politics in the empire side stuff.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Probably for me too but Crotch Kick->Story

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

I swear I will never use any titles related to getting this achievement lest it demeans the actual Achievement of those who did it the right way :patriot:

What titles do you get from it, out of curiosity?

I don't see myself getting to actually 55 on everything, because going past 50 requires you to do repetitive stuff; at least the class missions are unique for each...class.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

What titles do you get from it, out of curiosity?

I don't see myself getting to actually 55 on everything, because going past 50 requires you to do repetitive stuff; at least the class missions are unique for each...class.

Imperial Diehard for the 4 Empire classes at 55
Republic Diehard for the 4 Republic ones

No title for all 8 but 100 achievement points.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Ahoy Matey!

New gear from the expansion

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
If you need a dps who doesn't know what he's doing, i can get Taco on for the op.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

pentyne posted:

I really don't wanna sound like a dick and blame it all on you, but this shouldn't be true at all, and all the trouble you're having is pretty abnormal. The vast majority of the solo content in this game can be steamrolled as long as the quest is green or yellow in your log, and you've been updating you and your companion's gear with some new greens every 4-5 levels, and stuff should be especially easy for you now that you're 34+ and have Force Storm (hilariously easy if you go pure Lightning spec and can alternate between Force Storms and insta-casted Chain Lightnings). Most fights should boil down to: Static Barrier Khem, manually have send him in to attack, wait 3 seconds, Force Storm the poo poo out of everything until anything that isn't Silver or higher is dead, then use single-target stuff to finish off what's left standing.

I almost wish you'd post a video or something so we could see what's happening from your perspective, I feel like there's gotta be some little thing you're missing that's making all the difference. It sucks that the game feels so punishing. :\

Hulk Smash! posted:

Ahoy Matey!

New gear from the expansion

Can't believe it took them this long to give us that hat, we already have robot heads, ninja masks, and cowboy hats.

EDIT: And you can make your companions look like zombies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

raffie posted:

If you need a dps who doesn't know what he's doing, i can get Taco on for the op.

It's a pretty easy one, show up!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Crindee posted:

I really don't wanna sound like a dick and blame it all on you, but this shouldn't be true at all, and all the trouble you're having is pretty abnormal. The vast majority of the solo content in this game can be steamrolled as long as the quest is green or yellow in your log, and you've been updating you and your companion's gear with some new greens every 4-5 levels, and stuff should be especially easy for you now that you're 34+ and have Force Storm (hilariously easy if you go pure Lightning spec and can alternate between Force Storms and insta-casted Chain Lightnings). Most fights should boil down to: Static Barrier Khem, manually have send him in to attack, wait 3 seconds, Force Storm the poo poo out of everything until anything that isn't Silver or higher is dead, then use single-target stuff to finish off what's left standing.

Isn't that the point though, that the 12x XP means your gear doesn't stay up to date (since you're not getting all those comms from bear rear end quests)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

Isn't that the point though, that the 12x XP means your gear doesn't stay up to date (since you're not getting all those comms from bear rear end quests)?

Yeah, it's trickier because you can't rely on comms anymore (not without grinding them out, which defeats the purpose of speed-leveling through 12xp).

There's other stuff you can do though; you can try wearing vendor gear, the gear you pick up from quest rewards, or wearing orange stuff and buying the green armorings/barrels/hilts from planetside vendors. Not sure what you can do about mods or enhancements (other than GTN, which isn't reliable), but hopefully the leveling content isn't so hard that you actually need that stuff...

• Locked thread