Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Minidust posted:

Ahh okay. Not too far off from his '96 WWF run then.

I think his stupid trapdoor in the ring managed to injure more people than Ahmed Johnson and Mr Kennedy combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think his stupid trapdoor in the ring managed to injure more people than Ahmed Johnson and Mr Kennedy combined.

The British Bulldog suffered some severe vertebrae damage because of that trap door. He took a back body drop from Alex Wright at Fall Brawl '98, I think

ColeM fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 31, 2011

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Screw up sorry.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ColeM posted:

The British Bulldog suffered some severe vertebrae damage because of that trap door. He took a back body drop from Alex Wright at Fall Brawl '98, I think

Yeah, then he was fired via Fex Ex while still in his hospital bed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ColeM posted:

Worse -- it was a massive spinal infection that left him basically unable to move out of bed for months.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

No IWC April Fools gag?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

George Kaplan posted:

No IWC April Fools gag?

TNA is a year long april fools gag.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

We could all pretend Zack Ryder was fired, if that would make you happy.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Endorph posted:

We could all pretend Zack Ryder was fired, if that would make you happy.

/wooo/ beat you to that.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Only three. One War Games, a tag match with Sting against Hogan/Hart (which was actually kinda good because Sting was in there most of the time), and the Hogan match.

Were there any other outside talents brought in for relatively few matches with unsuccessful results?

Well I assume so, so what I'm really asking is who were they?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 1, 2011

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Sue Denim posted:

Were there any other outside talents brought in for relatively few matches with unsuccessful results?

Well I assume so, so what I'm really asking is who were they?
There were dozens. From Gary Spivy to Swole (who earned 200,000 for less than two matches), to the misuse of the greatest wrestler of the 90's (Bret Hart), WCW overpaying people not to wrestle was the rule, not the exception.

Hell, they flew out people every week for Nitro despite them not being on the show!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The story of Dennis Rodmans second run is one of my personal faves. WCW had done good business with Rodman as a special attraction, and when the opportunity came up for him to become a somewhat regular member of the roster they lept at the opportunity. His first feud was with Savage, and involved him being such a horrible baby face that the crowds cheered for Savage in every encounter. When it finally came time for the match to happen at Road Wild 99, Rodman showed up in such an awful state that Randy Savage wasn't willing to wrestle him. When Randy Savage thinks you are too hosed up to compete you have problems. In the end Savage was talked into having the match which was even worse than you would expect and ended with Rodman being thrown into a portable toilet. This was his last sighting on WCW tv.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Skinty McEdger posted:

The story of Dennis Rodmans second run is one of my personal faves. WCW had done good business with Rodman as a special attraction, and when the opportunity came up for him to become a somewhat regular member of the roster they lept at the opportunity. His first feud was with Savage, and involved him being such a horrible baby face that the crowds cheered for Savage in every encounter. When it finally came time for the match to happen at Road Wild 99, Rodman showed up in such an awful state that Randy Savage wasn't willing to wrestle him. When Randy Savage thinks you are too hosed up to compete you have problems. In the end Savage was talked into having the match which was even worse than you would expect and ended with Rodman being thrown into a portable toilet. This was his last sighting on WCW tv.

he's still in that toilet somewhere in South Dakota

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Am I the only person who cannot loving stand Sara Del Ray?

Maybe it's having seen her Chikara stuff before Shimmer but her moves, her look and her fans just annoy me.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Lamuella posted:

he's still in that toilet somewhere in South Dakota

Unfortunately he lives around the Aventura, Florida area. You can see him frequent http://www.heavyburger.com/ if you're in the area. That, and the Aventura mall.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
What does Droz do for WWE these days?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

evale posted:

What does Droz do for WWE these days?

He currently earns a paycheck for life.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Doesn't Droz work for .com?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Giedroyc posted:

Am I the only person who cannot loving stand Sara Del Ray?

Yeah, probably. Check out her interview on the Art of Wrestling podcast - you may come away from it liking her a little/a lot more.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Whatever came of Kid Kash? He was an entertaining little dude back in the day. He and Noble were a cool team.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I like to think that Kid Rock died years ago and Kid Kash has been taking his place ever since.

I think the last he's been seen on a national scale was the ECW TNA reunion show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When did slapping the mat repeatedly become the accepted gesture for submitting? I've been watching some older matches and often, someone in a hold will slap the mat a few times, but he's not tapping out, it's just him struggling. I can see why they decided to go with a clearer visual signal, but when did that come about?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tazz in ECW in the mid 90s.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Maxwell Lord posted:

When did slapping the mat repeatedly become the accepted gesture for submitting? I've been watching some older matches and often, someone in a hold will slap the mat a few times, but he's not tapping out, it's just him struggling. I can see why they decided to go with a clearer visual signal, but when did that come about?
In WWE I don't recall it being a thing until Shamrock showed up in '97.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I believe it was at some point in the late 90s, and I suspect it may have actually had something to do with the Montreal Screwjob, though I could just be conflating that in my head with something else.

I recall watching a few older Nitros/Raws from 95-96 where people submitted without tapping and it kind of knocked me for a loop, because it felt like I'd missed something important.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Does wweclassics.com still require you to use internet explorer/windows media player to watch their videos? I subscribed a while back and that was the case, and it was a pain in the rear end since I'm on a mac.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's more confusing is when people today slap the mat in struggle but it isn't giving up.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

It started when UFC started getting big and the tap out was used to submit. Like the others have said, late 90s era and Shamrock I think helped bring it over.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Does wweclassics.com still require you to use internet explorer/windows media player to watch their videos? I subscribed a while back and that was the case, and it was a pain in the rear end since I'm on a mac.

IE, no. WMP, yes.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It started when UFC started getting big and the tap out was used to submit. Like the others have said, late 90s era and Shamrock I think helped bring it over.

Taz always lied and said that he alone was the cause, because the Tazmission was so effective you couldn't even speak.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What's HHH's opinion on Hulk Hogan? Has he said anything on record, or are there any rumors?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do PPV's need to be ordered before the day of the PPV? Because I can't seem to reach Verizon Fios' offices at all to order WM and this happened with RR too.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Spikeguy posted:

What's HHH's opinion on Hulk Hogan? Has he said anything on record, or are there any rumors?

On Hogan as regards the hall of fame.

"As far as the Hall of Fame goes, it’s tough. We have a unique business, and we try to do a legitimate Hall of Fame. We try to honor the guys that deserve it. To the guys that go in, it’s something special. I heard Hogan sh*t on it, but I don’t think anything’s special to him except for money. Like, if you called Michael Jordan to put him into the Basketball Hall of Fame, and he said, “All right, but I’m only gonna show up if I get to play for the Bulls next year.” We get that all the time. We call a guy to honor him in the Hall of Fame, and he goes, “I want to do an angle. I want a one-off. I need a hundred grand.”

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Sue Denim posted:

I like to think that Kid Rock died

I like to do this too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Did they switch Swagger to black and gold tights from his all american american tights because he's heel?

Has there ever been a truly heel :patriot: character?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did they switch Swagger to black and gold tights from his all american american tights because he's heel?

Kurt Angle?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Kurt Angle? He was more of a deconstruction of the :patriot: character, though, if that's how one would phrase it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

You know with all the crazy poo poo he's been doing in TNA I completely forgot that Kurt Angle had a patriotic gimmick. I also didn't know Kurt Angle was a heel in TNA. :psyduck:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I also didn't know Kurt Angle was a heel in TNA. :psyduck:

Um...??????

edit: Do you mean was a heel or IS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

Um...??????

edit: Do you mean was a heel or IS?

Wait he's the heel in his feud with the guy that stole his wife?

I thought Jarrett was the heel? Thinking about TNA breaks my brain. Last I remember Angle was trying to axe murder people so did they switch roles?