Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hasselblad posted:

Pretty much nails my limited experience in game.

yikes.

how have they strayed so far from shadowbane 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Mjolnerd posted:

yikes.

how have they strayed so far from shadowbane 2.0

When I gave it a go, Like the guy in the video, had absolutely no idea what to do, the interface was giant, horrid and all at once. There was absolutely nothing that grabbed hold of me and created enough interest to continue. One of the least intuitive games I have tried.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

according to some of the comments it looks like the guy who made this video actually downloaded the wrong client and is playing on the wrong server because of it lol

not that I believe that would make any difference, just something to note is all.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

according to some of the comments it looks like the guy who made this video actually downloaded the wrong client and is playing on the wrong server because of it lol

not that I believe that would make any difference, just something to note is all.

How is a game still deep in development splitting their testers over multiple clients and servers?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Freakazoid_ posted:

How is a game still deep in development splitting their testers over multiple clients and servers?

Beat me to it. Was going to exclaim about how bad a sign that is for the overall project. Really projects a disjointed mess.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
https://community.crowfall.com/topic/27094-5110-test-patch-notes-for-41720/

Guild vs Guild stronghold control and sieges added....

still tightly gripping my $50....

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Freakazoid_ posted:

They aren't really. No one plays the Live servers at all. Everyone is testing on the test servers as that is where the new features are.

Here are a few short clips to show what the game looks like right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONt9MW4Y_60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDMGOs6U4co

They seem to be making the cardinal sin with stealthers being OP though.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

insider posted:

They aren't really. No one plays the Live servers at all. Everyone is testing on the test servers as that is where the new features are.

hmmm, from both of those videos, I don't really get that impression.

Looks like 2 tanks(?) ganked some guy, then 2 dps classes killed them while weakened from the first fight. i was expecting some OP stealth gank, but that seemed pretty fair?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

insider posted:

... Everyone is testing on the test servers as that is where the new features are.

Are you playing? hows the population? Does an actual gameplay loop exist, and is it fun?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

insider posted:

What is the point of the live servers if this is still in deep beta?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hasselblad posted:

What is the point of the live servers if this is still in deep beta?

the only reasoning i can think of is to lower expectations of the tester base

"of course it's less stable, this is the TEST TEST Server not the LIVE TEST Server"

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Mjolnerd posted:

hmmm, from both of those videos, I don't really get that impression.

Looks like 2 tanks(?) ganked some guy, then 2 dps classes killed them while weakened from the first fight. i was expecting some OP stealth gank, but that seemed pretty fair?

Sorry my stealth comment was separate from the videos.

I am not playing but have 5-10 guild members who are (those in the videos). From what they've said the game is finally starting to come together. Most complaints I see are about stealthers, and performance still isn't good with large groups. I can definitely say the game isn't a scam game and while progress has been slow they are finally putting the final pieces together before its a feature complete beta.

The live vs test thing I have never understood but live is generally supposed to be the more stable version of the game. I think it will make more sense once further along where most will play on live instead of test.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

insider posted:

and performance still isn't good with large groups.

Well they ARE going for Shadowbane playerbase, right?
It's not authentic unless all I see is torsos during a siege.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hasselblad posted:

Well they ARE going for Shadowbane playerbase, right?
It's not authentic unless all I see is torsos during a siege.

STACK!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Here is a campaign end screen for 'Dregs' which is a Guild vs Guilds campaign. Dregs is characterized as guild-v-guild, and they are working on the alliance system and how it will interact with points.

The other campaign that seems fleshed out is called "Infected" which is the traditional three way Realm vs Realm vs Realm.

Going back to the Lazy Peon video I asked guild mates how long it takes to get to lvl 30 to actually participate in the PvP stuff and they say it only takes an hour so I have no idea what that guy was doing besides playing on the wrong server.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

insider posted:

Here is a campaign end screen for 'Dregs' which is a Guild vs Guilds campaign. Dregs is characterized as guild-v-guild, and they are working on the alliance system and how it will interact with points.

The other campaign that seems fleshed out is called "Infected" which is the traditional three way Realm vs Realm vs Realm.

Going back to the Lazy Peon video I asked guild mates how long it takes to get to lvl 30 to actually participate in the PvP stuff and they say it only takes an hour so I have no idea what that guy was doing besides playing on the wrong server.

this video makes it seems promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdDDyZP6G8

It also mentions 60-90 minutes to level to 30.... so, why have levels at all? especially if you level up in a separate PvE island?

Mjolnerd fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 23, 2020

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It only makes sense if it doubles as a tutorial.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Thirsty Dog posted:

It only makes sense if it doubles as a tutorial.

Nothing I have seen is very intuitive when starting out, so if it is intended as a tutorial it fails utterly.

Wow, that flying dirt thing on a continual basis would get old quite fast.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 24, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Nothing I have seen is very intuitive when starting out, so if it is intended as a tutorial it fails utterly.

Wow, that flying dirt thing on a continual basis would get old quite fast.

I think it will be a tutorial eventually but there is no point in fleshing out a tutorial when the game isn't even feature complete yet IMO.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

insider posted:

I think it will be a tutorial eventually but there is no point in fleshing out a tutorial when the game isn't even feature complete yet IMO.

IDK, having a tutorial that explains how to use the features that are complete seems to make sense to me since there's videos of people who have no drat clue what they are doing and then they just quit.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

TheFace posted:

IDK, having a tutorial that explains how to use the features that are complete seems to make sense to me since there's videos of people who have no drat clue what they are doing and then they just quit.

Yeah, I mean features may not be completely polished, but the basic gameplay mechanics should already be cemented this far in. When you first log in there is no intuitive or instructed pointer for what you should be doing, working toward, nothing whatsoever.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah, I mean features may not be completely polished, but the basic gameplay mechanics should already be cemented this far in. When you first log in there is no intuitive or instructed pointer for what you should be doing, working toward, nothing whatsoever.

Looks like the next patch (sometime this week or next) addresses this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/2825263

quote:

Phase 3 of War of the Gods on TEST is Coming Next

Phase 3 of the War of the Gods update will introduce our New Player Experience. We are not ready to reveal the details about this new gameplay experience yet, but it will offer all of our players a chance to get off to a fast start while being introduced to the Crowfall universe and its lore.

otherwise, I think it's actually pretty fun. definitely lacks the polish of a complete game, but I think there's enough there that we'll have a pretty solid beta by the end of the year.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Crowfall posted:

We are not ready to reveal the details about this new gameplay experience yet,

I want to translate this as “it is exciting and will really impress”, but at this point I suspect it is more along the lines of “we noted that players do not know what it is they should be doing upon character start, but we are still trying to figure that out ourselves”

Themoor
May 15, 2020
I still don't understand how the crowfall world works is it just like one giant battleground people fight in or is there a open world also you can run around in like shadowbane?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Themoor posted:

I still don't understand how the crowfall world works is it just like one giant battleground people fight in or is there a open world also you can run around in like shadowbane?

Like Shadowbane. There is actually a large emphasis on gathering and crafting as well.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
It's Shadowbane, and has guinea pigs with guns. gently caress, I'm going to have to buy this now.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I tried to play this game, ended up playing on a shadowbane emulator for 2 months instead and enjoying every minute of it

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

So I am one of the really early purchasers, and for the life of me I cannot recall if it is a one purchase deal, or a sub, and wonder if it will fall prey to microtransactions.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hasselblad posted:

So I am one of the really early purchasers, and for the life of me I cannot recall if it is a one purchase deal, or a sub, and wonder if it will fall prey to microtransactions.

So far it's one time purchase only. However, there's also a VIP membership status if you pay monthly with some benefit that hasn't been revealed yet. But wait there's more! you can also purchase crowbux and buy cosmetic upgrades to your mount n poo poo...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Lorem ipsum posted:

I tried to play this game, ended up playing on a shadowbane emulator for 2 months instead and enjoying every minute of it

i tooled around a bit on sbemu as well but i didn't like how it's basically a solved game. like, there's no experimenting around anymore, no matter what you want to do there's already a well-known optimal way to do it and it's been known for decades. if you want to smash poo poo with the big axe you make the minotaur, and if you don't make the minotaur you'll probably lose to someone who did unless you can outskill them.
that, and the interface is just ungodly terrible. click to move, and all your skills are buttons that all look the same :wtc:

e: i don't quite remember clearly but i think you also have to click the buttons. like, with your mouse. bwaaah.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 19, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i tooled around a bit on sbemu as well but i didn't like how it's basically a solved game. like, there's no experimenting around anymore, no matter what you want to do there's already a well-known optimal way to do it and it's been known for decades. if you want to smash poo poo with the big axe you make the minotaur, and if you don't make the minotaur you'll probably lose to someone who did unless you can outskill them.
that, and the interface is just ungodly terrible. click to move, and all your skills are buttons that all look the same :wtc:

e: i don't quite remember clearly but i think you also have to click the buttons. like, with your mouse. bwaaah.

I just remember torso armies during sieges as their "fix" to god awful framerates.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Some Crowfall news... Crowfall is officially in Alpha!!! Yep you read that right. It has moved from pre-Alpha to Alpha. Now only 5 more years for Beta!

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

insider posted:

...Now only 5 more years for Beta!

too optimistic

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mjolnerd posted:

too optimistic

Saturn years, is the thing.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

insider posted:

Some Crowfall news... Crowfall is officially in Alpha!!! Yep you read that right. It has moved from pre-Alpha to Alpha. Now only 5 more years for Beta!

Blink and you'll miss it - Crowfall is now in Beta!

https://massivelyop.com/2020/06/24/crowfalls-current-build-is-technically-the-games-beta-version-according-to-j-todd-coleman/

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yea I mean everything about the game is a horrible user experience. There were, however, shortcuts and bindable macros - you just had to right click the skills.

As far as the solved game thing goes - most people playing are dumb as hell and honestly good teamwork usually wins over whatever optimal thing people think they are doing. Game is terrible though, don't play it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jkdazPFjbk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OscCT9e8pMo

and

https://crowfall.com/en-US/faq

have combined to rob me of money so I can play right the gently caress now

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
not surprised to see a caster with stealth winning multiple fights

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's bad, please don't waste your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's bad, please don't waste your money

It might be bad but it is definitely making progress now and is turning into an actual game.