Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

!amicable posted:

So there is no way to get the newer PS3s to play PS2 or PS games? Why the gently caress did someone think this was a good idea?
All of them can play PS1 games. The newer ones cannot play PS2 games. They did that because it's cheaper to manufacture the system.

They may or may not release a software PS2 emulator, but I'm leaning toward never.

I have a launch PS3, so I don't really care. :smug:

dis astranagant posted:

A quick round of googling says don't patch if you want to gently caress with homebrew, it's confirmed to not work.
I'm honestly surprised that homebrew isn't bannable yet, because it's just a thinly-veiled discussion of how to pirate games.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

All of them can play PS1 games. The newer ones cannot play PS2 games. They did that because it's cheaper to manufacture the system.

They may or may not release a software PS2 emulator, but I'm leaning toward never.

I have a launch PS3, so I don't really care. :smug:

I have a launch PS3 too. But I am living with a friend who has a new slim one. I can't play any of my video games now :(

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

!amicable posted:

I have a launch PS3 too. But I am living with a friend who has a new slim one. I can't play any of my video games now :(
You could always buy some PS3 games, there are a lot of good ones. :shobon:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

You could always buy some PS3 games, there are a lot of good ones. :shobon:

But GODHAND :gonk:

It's a good excuse to get a new game or two.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Crows Turn Off posted:

Thing is, the MGS4 editon PS3s had BC, and the extra cost in hardware was minimal... they don't have the whole Emotion chip or whatever the CPU of the PS2 was called, all they have is a GPU chip for the PS2, as I understand it. Rest of the emulation is all software.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm honestly surprised that homebrew isn't bannable yet, because it's just a thinly-veiled discussion of how to pirate games.

There are a few devices with legit homebrew discussion; Xbox, PSP, Wii, and Nintendo DS. Yeah piracy is possible on all of those, but that doesn't mean it should be banned. In the case of the PS3, I kinda agree we probably shouldn't be talking about it right now, as there is no homebrew or even any proof of concept of homebrew being possible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm honestly surprised this tired argument isn't bannable yet. My psp makes a nice portable ps1, snes, genesis, nes, dos box, ebook reader and runs several roguelikes it wouldn't otherwise. My ps3 will probably make a decent htpc when people stop yelling piracy long enough to do something useful with their time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is it possible to swap hard drives with different system versions on them?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Is it possible to swap hard drives with different system versions on them?

Apparently there's been a tool for reverting the firmware floating around for quite some time. It may be a physical device, haven't found out anything solid yet.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 7, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I'm honestly surprised this tired argument isn't bannable yet. My psp makes a nice portable ps1, snes, genesis, nes, dos box, ebook reader and runs several roguelikes it wouldn't otherwise. My ps3 will probably make a decent htpc when people stop yelling piracy long enough to do something useful with their time.

The first time I played Snatcher was using the SegaCD emulator on my PSP. It was loving awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

I'm honestly surprised this tired argument isn't bannable yet. My psp makes a nice portable ps1, snes, genesis, nes, dos box, ebook reader and runs several roguelikes it wouldn't otherwise.

You just listed like at least 3 ways you're using it to pirate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

You just listed like at least 3 ways you're using it to pirate.

I normally like your posts, but what the gently caress, seriously? You have your SNES still hooked up and an old PC you keep setup with MS DOS, just so you can play all those old games you bought as a kid? Get your head out of your rear end.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So no difference between slim and fat then? Don't want to go buy a slim then learn it has a higher chance of YLOD, or can't run things as easily as a larger model can.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rookersh posted:

So no difference between slim and fat then? Don't want to go buy a slim then learn it has a higher chance of YLOD, or can't run things as easily as a larger model can.

Launchish model fats can run ps2 games, that's the only practical difference that can't be better solved by sending newegg $50

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

With the PSP, piracy was a cinch in the most part with homebrew as long as you had a UMD game in the drive. My mind was completely blown though by people who bitching about not being able to get the "no-UMD mode" working, because they did not own a single retail game.

(Mitigates the ripping-UMDs-to-your-memorystick-for-convenience.)

I guess I reached that hump though where I just don't care anymore. I hacked the poo poo out of my old Xbox and PSP-1000 and used tonnes of homebrew. Both had awesome source-code projects ported to them for classic games I used to love, as a bunch of nifty open-source games. Xbox of course had XBMC.

I ran the flashcard exploit on the Wii, installed an NES emulator with one game, as well as OpenTyrian, but I've barely touched that thing. Hell, I don't even play Wii games much.

I mostly use my PSPgo now and PS3 (and PC). I don't think I'm going to bother leaving the door open on PS3. I just have too much to do already.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I normally like your posts, but what the gently caress, seriously? You have your SNES still hooked up and an old PC you keep setup with MS DOS, just so you can play all those old games you bought as a kid? Get your head out of your rear end.

He is actually correct. You don't get to pick and choose which copyright laws you want to follow. These games are still protected, and it is piracy to play them on your psp. Especially since a lot of these games are available still for digital purchase on other platforms. If you are playing Super Mario RPG on your PSP, thats a pretty clear cut case of piracy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Oh, it's hard to do? Well that makes piracy legal then!

What exactly is your argument? That it's not piracy? Because it is. Or are you arguing that it's justified and/or victimless piracy? That may be so, and I'm definitely not getting in to that, but it's a really dumb list of things to use when trying to counter a piracy argument.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Rookersh posted:

As far as I know, the YLOD is less common on slims, but at this point that might be circumstantial, since they've only been available for a fraction of the time that the fat model has.

scorp31
Nov 27, 2007
Welp, I updated just now and got the notice about the System Software not being able to run correctly and to connect storage media that contains version 3.42 or later.

Only problem is Sony's site only has 3.41, looks like I'll have to wait for tomorrow.

When I try to shut the system off it just beeps and won't shut down. I'm probably going to be calling it a night soon, should I just leave the system on or will unplugging it screw it up even more? It's a slim model.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Aphrodite posted:

What exactly is your argument? That it's not piracy? Because it is. Or are you arguing that it's justified and/or victimless piracy? That may be so, and I'm definitely not getting in to that, but it's a really dumb list of things to use when trying to counter a piracy argument.

Some of the stuff he mentioned is piracy sure, but so what? The wii homebrew thread is piracy free and has gone on for ages without any drama, there's legitimate uses for it and I've definitely seen mods posting in there so why are you stirring poo poo about homebrew threads at all?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I bought my PSP and my PS3 to use as a PSP and PS3, respectively. I never understood the concept of "Homebrew" and getting really nice products with the intention of loving them up and potentially ruining the ability to use them for their original purpose.

It's really easy to continue on and simply devolve my point of view into accusations of piracy because of my ignorance, so I'll try not to do so. I just would rather spend the money for separate products (or choose the best product to suit my needs) than to manipulate a product beyond its original intentions and not only risk the consequences that come with it, but bring consequences down on the rest of the userbase for the product as well.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mug posted:

New firmware update out today, anyone know what it does?

SCE Asia says it's just a patch to remove security vulnerabilities.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I just want to play mkv files, but even then, a lot of them exceed the fail file size limit associated with fat32. I could gently caress around with tsmuxer but i just want to store mkv's and be lazy

delljit fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 7, 2010

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.

Yechezkel posted:

SCE Asia says it's just a patch to remove security vulnerabilities.

Apparently it 'breaks' all forms of PSJailbreak. Welp.

http://exophase.com/ps3/ps3-firmware-3-42-hits-network-update-18063.htm

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Doc Cylon posted:

Apparently it 'breaks' all forms of PSJailbreak. Welp.

http://exophase.com/ps3/ps3-firmware-3-42-hits-network-update-18063.htm
Of course it does, they plugged the hole, as expected. :)

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
if only they'd devote this much effort into fixing their broken-rear end flash they "upgraded" to in 3.40 so i can watch fuckin tvcatchup again.

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

Stanko-Prussian posted:

if only they'd devote this much effort into fixing their broken-rear end flash they "upgraded" to in 3.40 so i can watch fuckin tvcatchup again.

Broken flash isn't going to cost them potential millions in lost sales :smug:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The jailbreak got ported to most Android phones, as well. Having iView on Australian PS3s is nice, but if we could add custom channels/ps2 emulation it would own. Hopefully the homebrew community kicks off, but it's somewhat hilarious that they've already done more to system functionality in two weeks than Sony have in 3 years (moreso, because Sony have gone backwards).

My PS2 laser died and it'd be nice to play all my games again on PS3 :(

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Murodese posted:

but it's somewhat hilarious that they've already done more to system functionality in two weeks than Sony have in 3 years

Actually other than the jailbreak and the ability to play backups nothing has been done so far - just lots of talk.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Murodese posted:

...it's somewhat hilarious that they've already done more to system functionality in two weeks than Sony have in 3 years (moreso, because Sony have gone backwards)...

What the gently caress? I think adding the ability to play pirated games is gently caress all in comparison to the loving massive improvements the PS3's operating system has seen over the past 3 years.

edit: The jailbreak doesn't add iView to Australian PS3s, either. You can get to it using a regular USA PSN account, though. There isn't actually any homebrew content other than the backup loader, at this point, right?

Mug fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 7, 2010

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Mug posted:

What the gently caress? I think adding the ability to play pirated games is gently caress all in comparison to the loving massive improvements the PS3's operating system has seen over the past 3 years.

edit: The jailbreak doesn't add iView to Australian PS3s, either. You can get to it using a regular USA PSN account, though. There isn't actually any homebrew content other than the backup loader, at this point, right?

No, iView is on all Australian PS3's by default. I'm saying being able to add new ones would be great (using it as a media center with general family doesn't lend well to using a web browser to watch poo poo).

Also yes, I'm making assumptions in that homebrew will get developed. Then again, it's a fairly valid assumption (after seeing what the sperglords on xda do with android phones), and the existence of backup-manager suggests that homebrew is definitely possible (iirc, using the sony ps3 sdk - which is publically, but illegally, available). Whether it can gently caress with XMB or not is a different question, but that'll get answered soon, I guess.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think it's a real shame that with the online stores on consoles (PlayStation Store, Xbox Marketplace and Wii Shopping Channel) that we're only able to buy games. I'd love it if consoles were opened up to independantly developed applications like what we see on the iPhone etc, since it seems such a waste to hold things such as that back.

I'm hoping that when the PS4 comes around, Sony open up development a little bit more and let people bring their own applications/themes/whatever to the PS3. It seems like the natural evolution from where we currently are.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Having such a restricted operating system is what allowed the PS3 to go for so long without being tampered with, and was a good way to do it. It'd be great even if they went the same route as before, but opened up slightly on the customisation of the OS purely through firewalled plugins. They'd be able to ensure there's no nefarious usage, but we get additional functionality.

Sadly, it won't happen :sigh:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Perhaps someone can make cross game voice chat for them :argh: Sony. All of that wasted time and money into Home.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Some of the stuff he mentioned is piracy sure, but so what? The wii homebrew thread is piracy free and has gone on for ages without any drama, there's legitimate uses for it and I've definitely seen mods posting in there so why are you stirring poo poo about homebrew threads at all?

I'm not, that's some other guy. I just responded to the really dumb counter argument.

Murodese posted:

Also yes, I'm making assumptions in that homebrew will get developed. Then again, it's a fairly valid assumption (after seeing what the sperglords on xda do with android phones), and the existence of backup-manager suggests that homebrew is definitely possible (iirc, using the sony ps3 sdk - which is publically, but illegally, available). Whether it can gently caress with XMB or not is a different question, but that'll get answered soon, I guess.

The backup manager isn't even homebrew, it's just a (modified?) copy of the one Sony uses.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
How much interest is there, usually, for PS3s "for parts"?

As I said on the last page, I hosed up preventative maintenance in using way too little thermal paste, and now can't get it back open because I hosed up a screw on the plate that holds the fan in place. It "works", but it runs really loudly and very hot within a few minutes of playing a game.

Also, how long does data transfer usually take? I know it depends on the amount of stuff I have, but does it also depend on hard-drive speed?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

He is actually correct. You don't get to pick and choose which copyright laws you want to follow. These games are still protected, and it is piracy to play them on your psp. Especially since a lot of these games are available still for digital purchase on other platforms. If you are playing Super Mario RPG on your PSP, thats a pretty clear cut case of piracy.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm saying that if I go out and buy a copy of Snatcher on Sega CD (which I did) and then I choose to rip a ROM of that game and then play it on my PSP, that's perfectly within my right to do because I own a copy of that game. Same for the SNES games I play, or any other system.

Just because I'm playing the ROM, doesn't mean I don't already actually own the game. I have loving shitload of SNES games that I picked up during a clearance sale way back in like 1996. My computer monitor (which is my only TV, I'm a medical student and live in a small studio) has no composite video input, nor does it have a VGA input meaning the vast majority of VGA boxes won't even work with it (I already bought one and tried to no avail :smith: ) so hooking up an SNES isn't really an option.

Yeah, I'm probably the minority by far, but the fact remains, if I have the ability to play these games that I already own on another system, is that ethically wrong?

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Also, how long does data transfer usually take? I know it depends on the amount of stuff I have, but does it also depend on hard-drive speed?

Well, when I did my 80GB, it did roughly 63GB of data in 6 hours to an external hard drive. However I would say this was an extreme case, I've seen someone do 30-40GB in about an hour and a half. It may just be that my external drive sucks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Doc Cylon posted:

Well, when I did my 80GB, it did roughly 63GB of data in 6 hours to an external hard drive. However I would say this was an extreme case, I've seen someone do 30-40GB in about an hour and a half. It may just be that my external drive sucks.

I know external backups take awhile (I've done one before, and will have to do it again if teekun is to be believed) mostly due to the speed limitations of USB. I figured system-to-system transfer might not take as long since it uses the LAn ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fuzz posted:

I'm saying that if I go out and buy a copy of Snatcher on Sega CD (which I did) and then I choose to rip a ROM of that game and then play it on my PSP, that's perfectly within my right to do because I own a copy of that game. Same for the SNES games I play, or any other system.

I thought any reverse-engineering, rom-dumping and the like are not allowed according to a game's EULA (or its equivalent). :v:

• Locked thread