Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My people cry for freedom and the possibility of choosing who'll screw them over govern them! Voting!

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Please note in my rules post I've just been alerted that I hosed up a rule: State Religion allows you to build a temple once per turn while negating the food cost. Luckily, Gabriel Pope has been reading off the advance board, which is correct.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tactics for me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Prior to getting techs:

Current Leaderboard

Blue: 4 (Cities) + 6 (Techs) = 10
Yellow: 4 (Cities) + 4 (Techs) = 8
Green: 3 (Cities) + 4 (Techs) = 7
Red: 2 (Cities) + 4 (Techs) = 6

Just waiting on Golden Battler's choice.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

You know what this means.

Everyone should pile on blue.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Jerk. Just watch and see if I send you any more migrants :argh:

Anyhow, I've just been frontloading my development. Theocracy is attractive for early development but it doesn't have the legs that the other government types do since it doesn't let you juice the action economy. I've reached the limits of my growth and have to spend several turns slowly grinding out a new city, unlike certain yellow players who shall remain nameless who are poised to go on a building spree.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Theocracy is interesting, because it's both an early game and an endgame government but isn't that hot in the midgame. Early game, the expansion is very welcome - lategame, once you're comfortable with your civilization, there's a lot of mileage to be had culturally influencing everyone on the map.

Democracy, and its surplus of mood tokens and free collection per turn, is arguably the best of the government types - but rushing for it can cause some issues if you don't have good enough cities. Restricting yourself to one collect a turn when all you get are 2 resources can really suck.

Autocracy isn't quite as powerful as a free collect each turn, but oh man is it self-sustaining as hell. Draft lets you spend a mood token to buy a unit for free each build, Absolute Power lets you spend 2 to get an extra action - and as long as you keep buying units or ships, you will be swimming in them.

As an extra interlude, look at this amazing map building up in a game elsewhere:

It's a real shame that there aren't nearly enough water tiles to turn that into a single enormous lake.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

Democracy, and its surplus of mood tokens and free collection per turn, is arguably the best of the government types - but rushing for it can cause some issues if you don't have good enough cities. Restricting yourself to one collect a turn when all you get are 2 resources can really suck.

Autocracy isn't quite as powerful as a free collect each turn, but oh man is it self-sustaining as hell. Draft lets you spend a mood token to buy a unit for free each build, Absolute Power lets you spend 2 to get an extra action - and as long as you keep buying units or ships, you will be swimming in them.

I think you're selling Democracy short--Civil Liberties is a hell of a patch for the limitations on their collect actions, so it's arguably better sustaining than Autocracy. Collecting twice with Democracy saves you one action (since the first one is free) and costs 2 mood. Activating Civil Liberties costs one action and gives you 3 mood. Every turn you collect twice with Democracy gives you a net +1 mood, and if you don't need to collect twice you get a free action. Ditto if you just have a bunch of mood tokens stockpiled to splurge with.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

True, but Mood Tokens don't have that much of a lategame effect so you don't generally need to worry that much about stockpiling them - and late-game needing to collect twice is pretty rare. Also, because I want some players to do other things than go One True Government (tm). I've had a game where everyone went for it asap.

(I wonder if an appropriate patch would be restricting you to one build a turn - no Mood payment for more. That's probably too vicious, though.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

I've reached the limits of my growth and have to spend several turns slowly grinding out a new city, unlike certain yellow players who shall remain nameless who are poised to go on a building spree.

Red? You can't be talking about me, my southern city is going to get razed as soon as I get another advancement.

Honestly, as soon as I saw "free action" I charged towards Voting as soon as I saw I had a half decent economy going. On the other hand, as I said, I'm afraid to stop to protect myself from events.

EDIT: Does Economic Liberty means I can collect as many times as I want as long as I have tokens? Mood restrictions apply, I assume.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Red? You can't be talking about me, my southern city is going to get razed as soon as I get another advancement.

Honestly, as soon as I saw "free action" I charged towards Voting as soon as I saw I had a half decent economy going. On the other hand, as I said, I'm afraid to stop to protect myself from events.

EDIT: Does Economic Liberty means I can collect as many times as I want as long as I have tokens? Mood restrictions apply, I assume.

You already have 3 of the 4 building advancements, you can just crank out buildings with impunity (and if you're worried about barbarians building up that city will let you soak up some hits.)

Anyhow, this is probably premature since there's at least 2 events about to fire.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Nope - only the first collect has no action cost.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

Nope - only the first collect has no action cost.

Than what does the second part mean? That it doesn't change mood the second time if I spend tokens?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah. You get one free Collect each turn. Making any other Collect actions will cost you 2 Mood tokens, and will count as one of your actions for the turn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

Yeah. You get one free Collect each turn. Making any other Collect actions will cost you 2 Mood tokens, and will count as one of your actions for the turn.

You mean that I collect from city 1 for free, then to collect from city 2 I have to pay both the action and the mood tokens?

Sorry, I'm probably being very obtuse here. It's not on purpose :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No worries, better to get it sorted now. Yes, that's exactly right.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I think I'm short an Idea on my sheet (I should have gotten one from my free collect, since that city has an Academy).

I'll advance Engineering.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Stelas posted:

It's a real shame that there aren't nearly enough water tiles to turn that into a single enormous lake.

:argh:

I think I would take the mega lake over all of these barbarians, sob.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Update will come later today!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Golden Battler posted:

I think I'm short an Idea on my sheet (I should have gotten one from my free collect, since that city has an Academy).

Fair 'nuff, fixed.

Turn 2 - Status Phase part 1

No-one reveals any Objectives.

Green takes Engineering. A Wonder is revealed.
Blue takes Tactics. Culture increases.

Event: A Good Year posted:

Gain 2 Food. Then select another player who also gains 2 Food, or two players who gain 1 Food each. Exhaust a space.
Yellow takes Voting. Writing activates, providing another Objective and Action card.
Red takes Writing. Culture increases.

Event: A Fine Year posted:

Gain 1 Food. Then select another player who also gains 1 Food. Place Barbarians.

Green Status (Golden Battler) | Blue Status (Gabriel Pope) | Yellow Status (Fat Samurai) | Red Status (Spincut) | Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

Gabriel Pope, choose a spot adjacent to one of your cities to exhaust. Also, choose who to give 2 Food to.
Spincut, choose a spot within 2 spaces of one of your cities in which to place a barbarian camp, then choose a camp in which to place a barbarian army. (It can be the same one.)

(Yellow's extra cards will be done with the rest of the Status Phase cards.)

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Do I have to place the barbs in an explored tile?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Exhaust the forest at E7. Golden Battler can have the +2 food.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Spincut posted:

Do I have to place the barbs in an explored tile?

Yep. You can't reach through unexplored tiles, either.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Boooooooooo.

Fine, I'll place them two space NE of my northern city, and put an army in the city next to yellow.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Spincut posted:

Boooooooooo.

Fine, I'll place them two space NE of my northern city, and put an army in the city next to yellow.

To check: you're placing the city on E9, and the army on F8?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Stelas posted:

To check: you're placing the city on E9, and the army on F8?

Yessir.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 2 - Status Phase part 2

Everyone gets a new Objective and Action card. Yellow gets 2 of each!

Green has 5 Mood + Culture.
Blue has 7 Mood + Culture.
Yellow has 5 Mood + Culture.
Red has 7 Mood + Culture.

Blue is the first player!

Turn 3.1.1 - Gabriel Pope is the current player.

Green Status (Golden Battler) | Blue Status (Gabriel Pope) | Yellow Status (Fat Samurai) | Red Status (Spincut) | Player Aid (Costs, etc.) | Rules | Available Wonders | Objectives

Gabriel Pope, you have three actions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Action 1: Advance Draft (-2 food)
Action 2: Activate Bluerusalem, collect 2 food and 1 ore
Action 3: Activate Nazureth, pay 1 food/1 ore + 1 mood to build 2 armies there

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3.1.1 - Gabriel Pope is the current player.

Action 1: Draft is researched with 2 Food. Culture increases.
Action 2: 2 Food and 1 Ore are collected from C3.
Action 3: 1 Food and 1 Ore are used to buy an Army at D6, and Draft is activated to buy another with a Mood token.

Turn 3.1.2 - Fat Samurai is the current player.

Fat Samurai, you have three actions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, I missed this:

Learn Chemistry via Priesthood. That should trigger and event and give me another idea.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So did I!

Action 1: Chemistry is researched for free, because Yellow is sufficiently pious. Culture increases.

Event: Population Boom! posted:

Place a free settler in one of your cities, then select an opponent to also receive a settler.

Barbarians Attack
The barbarians at F8 activate, and attack H6! 2 dice: 5 - 1 hit! The Barbarians have sacked the city entirely!

Fat Samurai, you have two actions. The city at H6 is gone unless you put the free settler there, in which case it will die first and save the city getting attacked.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, phone posting, crappy Internet all weekend.

Event Reaction - Put the Settler on H6, let him take one for the team. Pass a settler to Blue, he seems to have lots of space to put him to good use.

2) Use my two ideas (1 from last turn, 1 from the previous move) to research Economic Liberty.
Free)Collect from Carcosa: 1 Wood, 1 Food, 1 Ore
3) Grow G3, place an academy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

A settler appears at H6 and immediately gets killed from a barbarian attack. Since the city did not lose a piece, it does not go angry. Blue gets a settler in a city of their choice.

Action 2: Economic Liberty is researched with 2 Ideas.
Free Action: One wood, food and ore are harvested from I3...
Action 3: ... and immediately used to build an Academy at G3. 2 Ideas gained.

Turn 3.1.3 - Spincut is the current player.

Spincut, you have three actions. Gabriel Pope, choose a city to receive a settler.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've just found out you can't buy Economic Liberty in a turn and then use it the same turn - whoops, that's new to me! Since it's already been used more than once this game, let's just call that a houserule instead.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh, sure, it's not like it's the best advancement in the game already. (Not serious, I certainly don't mind.)

Put the free settler in Nazureth.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Giving this thread a bit of a kick! Still waiting on Spincut's turn.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oops, sorry! Don't know how I missed that.

I will:

Activate my lower city and build an Academy.
Use the 2 ideas from my Academy to research Philosophy.
Improve the mood of my northern city.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn 3.1.3 - Spincut is the current player.

Blue puts their settler in what I hope I remember correctly as their lower city.

Action 1: Red builds an Academy in the south city. 2 Ideas gained.
Action 2: Philosophy is researched with 2 Ideas, gaining 1 in return. Mood increases.

Event: Great Discoverer posted:

The first player to pay 1 Culture token on his turn may, as an action, gain a free Maritime advance and reveal a region adjacent to one he has a city in. He may then pay 2 food to immediately build a city on this region.

Exhaust a hex.

Spincut, please choose a non-desert land hex adjacent to one of your cities to exhaust. Additionally, please confirm your third action again in light of the Great Dude.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Am I correct in thinking that "region" means a group of 4 hexes? Because if so, hell yeah I wanna do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't think you have the food to get the city, although you can still get a free tech + reveal a region (and deny other players the chance to get a city on the cheap.)

• Locked thread