Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XII: The Ambitious Project and Plan

*Sigh*

What's the matter, Logy? R&D is going to do something incredible!

Huh? Oh, it's just... No, never mind. It's just, everyone was so happy to accept the job of going to the Unexplored Ruins, without realizing just how hard that's going to be. Even the best airships in Central City would have a hard time doing that, and we only have a worn-down blimp.

I know, but that's why everyone wants to try. If we can find the right materials, make the right items, and work with the other departments, I'm sure we can do it!

This is a lot different than anything we've ever tried...

So do you not want to try? That's why Colseit is even here!

Of course I'm fascinated by the Ruins, but the scale of this task is incredible. But okay, I'll do my best to help you as long as you think you can do it, Escha.

Of course! As long as you try, you can do anything!

(I wish I could still believe that...)

Um, okay... What is it?

According to official documents, the goal of Development is to recreate technology from the past?

That sounds about right.

However, you actual duties seem to encompass a much wider variety of activities. Investigating ruins, assisting with supplies... Aren't these tasks the purview of other departments?

Well, yes, but we're all short-handed here, so we need to do a lot of different jobs.

Even the Maintenance Division does repair work on buildings. I know we could be segmenting our work but...

I see... I understand the situation, but it is quite troublesome. It's impossible for me to verify irregularities if they are simply stated as necessities for a task.

Oh... So you're saying it would be easy to lie in our reports, then?

It wouldn't be reason enough to change the organization structure, either. It's quite a situation.

Indeed... Well, how about this?

...What!? How does that help with anything?

I shall use you as an example of how departments perform work outside of their stated duties. Then I shall compare your work with the paperwork submitted, and use it as a basis for future audits.

Is it really okay for you to use our department for such an important decision...?

I see no issues, as long as you wish to cooperate. Or are you trying to hide something from me?

N-No, it's nothing like that, but...

...I understand. But you should know that we do leave the town on investigations, too. We end up in combat with monsters quite often. Will you be all right?

There's absolutely nothing to worry about. Despite my appearance, I have extensive combat training.

Is it the same rose, or does he have a lot of different roses under that cape?

...The words of my teacher, also a master martial artist. I shall devote my strength to your cause.

I-Is that so...? Well, thanks...

He might be helpful, but he's going to be watching us. We have to make sure we don't make him mad at us...

Logy, I'm kind of scared I'll make a mistake on an investigation and make Micie mad...

I know how you feel, but it might not be as bad as we think. He has a lot of work to do in town, and hopefully won't follow us everywhere. But, the most important part is just doing our work well. That way he can't get mad at us.

Yeah, you're right. Anyway, Logy, can we head back to the desert? I heard there were Golden Rats living there, and maybe they're holding one of the best alchemy materials: the Golden Apple. We need to start getting ready.

I guess we can stop by, since we have to head back to the Abandoned River to complete the investigation, anyway...

You beat deadline. I give you bonus. More than usual.

It's so weird to hear Solle talking like that...

Yeah...this is a side of Solle I haven't seen very much.

Thank you, Solle. Everyone, happy.

It's not that bad. In the beginning, it was an uphill battle trying to understand each other. RIght now, I'm able to communicate with them using simple words and grammar.

Um... It looks to me like their way of talking rubbed off on you...?

That may be true... But I confess, their way of speaking actually makes a lot of sense to me. Apparently, I have the tendency to hurt other people when I express myself with too many words. By remaining terse ands speaking as a homunculus does, I feel that it helps me get along with others.

In other words, you knew that you were being harsh? Why not just go easier on other people?

It's just in my nature, I suppose. But I wouldn't have to resort to that if people didn't make errors.

...Sorry, I take that back.

In any case, the bottom line is that once you learn how to speak with them, it's not that difficult. Some people say they're not great around the homunculi, but I think they have many lovable qualities.

Still, isn't it a lot of work to bring candy for them every day?

Well, that's one area where my hobbies have a practical use... So it really isn't much trouble. Not to mention that I get to eat whatever's left over myself... So the arrangement has its benefits.

I see... That does sound like a pretty sweet deal.

Ugh, Logy... Anyway, I'm so jealous. Maybe I should try your work someday, Mr. Solle.

Oh, would you like to? It would actually be a great help. Why don't we start in a few days?

Before thinking about food, I suggest you review the budget schedule for each division.

O-Okay...?

And then, go through the branch's budget, and determine how much must be allocated to each division. We'll have to go through all the requests from the townspeople as well, and allocate the workload.

Huuuuh!? I can't possibly do all of that...!

Actually, I'm amazed you have time to make snacks after all that work...

Once you get used to it, it's not that bad. And, I am exaggerating just a little bit... When you're able to do all of that perfectly, then you can interact with the homunculi. Now, Miss Escha... Should we get you ready to take on some of my work...?

Waaaah! I'm so sorry. I was joking... I was joking! So, please, don't get anything ready!

Miss Marion has quite a bit of work, but Solle is on a different playing field altogether...

Solle is always kind of mean, but it's incredible how much he does for the town.

Yeah, he does. Considering how much work he does for the branch, and for Central's management of this area, he could be the most important part of the staff here. So, we should learn to work with him better.

Synthesizing again?

Yeah, this is a Divine Jar. It looks small, but it has an incredible amount of water in it. So much water that it can hurt anything really hard, just from the amount of water. It's a really magical item...I'm not even really sure how it works.

Honestly, this is kind of why I like the more practical alchemy Central uses. I just like knowing how and why things work.

I just finished making a new sword for Linca. This was a little tricky, but...

Whoa... This is huge...!

Yeah, I thought Linca was joking at first, but she said she likes her swords really big. It was so huge, it was nearly impossible to make adjustments to...and the weight...

You mean Linca always swings something like this around? She's so skinny! How can she even lift a huge weapon like this?

I want to say it's because she works out, but... Then again, this goes way beyond simple workouts...

But with something like this, I can see how she fights those huge monsters!

The weapon's sheer mass makes it a thing to fear... Of course it's powerful. Still, I think finesse counts for something. I'd make it a little smaller, and sharpen the edge...

D-Don't do that, Logy! This is one of those cases where size matters! It's so much cooler this way.

It seems to me Linca uses a weapon like this because it fits her simple nature. If she could take advantage of some of the latest sword fighting technology, she'd be a lot more effective with a big sword like this, and she'd probably be a lot faster.

Ummm... Let me put it this way, Logy! Would you rather eat a big cake, or a small cake?

What does cake have to do with this!?

It's obvious, duh! You want the larger cake!

I'd rather eat the one that tastes better, regardless of which cake is bigger.

Oh, uh... You have a point. The better-tasting one is more enjoyable.

Again, what does any of htis have to do with Linca's sword...?

I just think it looks cooler!

Oh boy...anyway, it doesn't look quite right yet...I think I can improve the design a bit before I give it to Linca.

Empty Cores are great for alchemy. We should collect as many of them as possible in the future.

Much better. Take a look at this, Escha.

Wow! I feel like that could cut you just by looking at it.

I still say Linca should use a smaller weapon, but I think she'll be happy with something. I made a copy of it with the Wind elements that were in the synthesis. I can give one to Linca, and keep the other one here for improvements later on.

Still making swords, Logy?

Yeah. I'm just finishing up.

This is Micie's sword, isn't it? Why doesn't it snap snce it's so skinny?

This sword is designed for thrusting, not for slicing.

Oooooooh, I see. So different swords have different techniques, huh? That explains why the tip's pointy. Doesn't this make it really hard to fight monsters with a tough outer shell, though?

A good swordsman using a sword like this would targer the weaker soft spots, like a joint. Evidently, it's more effective in certain situations, but it takes a real master to use it that well.

Wow, that sounds really difficult. Do you mean that you can't use this kind of sword, Logy?

Micie must really be something else if he can use this sword, huh?

Yeah, only a real professional could use a weapon like this effectively. It's not popular, because it requires so much training to use, but it has its advantages. He may look like a child, but he's definitely quite skilled.

That's for the Lava Cube recipe, right?

Yeah, it's an incredibly powerful bomb that can generate an intense amount of heat. It's like the Divine Jar, except even more powerful. So, we need a really powerful Bomb.

Hey Escha, can I borrow your staff for a while?

What for?

I wanted to improve it a little. Don't worry, it won't take a long time.

Okay, Logy. Just be careful.

Of course. Why don't you get something to eat at Duke's? This shouldn't take very long.

Yeah. Try holding it for me.

Oh! Did you do something to it?

What do you think? Does it feel easier to use now?

Yes, it's perfect! I'm impressed, Logy!

Heh, I was worried you were going to tear my head off about it not being the way it used to be.

Aww, do I look that selfish to you?

Is that all you want out of it, though? I could make it even easier to use in combat for you...

It's fine. It'll be difficult to wield if it's too bulky. Besides, it looks cuter this way!

Cuter...? What about efficiency?

Well, as long as I can use it, I suppose it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Ah, okay. I guess I didn't have to make it look so nice, then...

Y-Your Logy Staff...? What does that even mean?

Ahhhh! I mean, I mean, it's the staff I thought you thought I'd like!

I see... It sounded like you were going to use that staff just to smack me around with.

Now, you know I'd never do that...! (Where would he get an idea like that? I can't guess what Logy is thinking sometimes.)

Alright, this is the last thing we have to make for the assignment.

Oh!

Oh, I think it's much more than just an average lump of metal on a stick.

...He's always just called it a hammer. I remember when he came over to our house with that big thing on his shoulder and fixed our leaky roof.

I'm surprised he didn't smash the ceiling in...

And Brother's really good at making furniture and stuff. He built my bookshelf, and my desk, and everything. He did it really fast, too!

He built a bookshelf with this thing!? That definitely sounds like fiction.

Hahaha, I guess he was just a really dexterous guy.

You know... I don't think it's a matter of dexterity. He should be using the proper equipment. You know the saying about there being a proper tool for every job? This certainly isn't for building.

B-But, you know he's on the Maintenance crew, right? Maybe everyone over there is like this. And they have to build huge blimps and everything. Doesn't it make sense to have a huge hammer?

Alright, I'm ready to go. Make sure you have everything. This might be a long journey.

S-Sorry we're late, Mr. Micie...

I don't mind. There's never any harm in being thorough when making your preparations.

I'm glad you say that...

However, it cannot be an excuse for tardiness. Had you properly prepared beforehand, you would have been here on time. Learn from this.

Ugh... There's not much I can say to argue with that.

You're way more reliable than us, Micie. That's amazing.

...Your compliment delights me, but are you really content with that? I lack experience in outdoor activities such as this. I only know what I was taught. I was hoping you would be able to help me, but...is that acceptable to you?

O-Of course! Leave the investigations to us!

We might not always be punctual, but we'll work hard. If there's anything you aren't sure of, just ask. Though, I think you already know more than us.

I'm relieved to hear you say that. I shall be most studious.

So why are we going to the desert, again?

Golden Rats! They've been seen in the Plains Brook. They're very rare, and supposed to carry a Golden Apple in their belly. If we can get that, I'm sure it'll be of great use in synthesis alchemy.

Escha, we've been searching for a long time, and we haven't found anything. I've never even heard of a Golden Rat, anyway.

Shhh! Don't say that, Logy! I can see some on the other side of the river. Let's sneak up on them...

The golden hamsters

Whoa, they're real.

I can just smell those Apples! Let's get them!

Heh heh, we found some Golden Apples! These are incredibly useful in alchemy, Logy. I can't wait to show you.

I'm looking forward to it. Anyway, let's head back to the Abandoned River.

Oh! I found some Pale Clay. It's a synthesis item that can be used in a lot of recipes, but it's kind of low quality, usually...

We really need to finish the investigation around here. We were only here for a little while, and took out that slag.

I can't remember what we were supposed to do here, though...

Did you say something, Escha?

Oh, no, it's nothing.

Alright, we've completed the survey, but I just can't help feeling we forgot something...

Another big stipend. We should go see if there's any good R&D experiments we should invest in.

This looks great! And it's pretty cheap, too. Anything to make my alchemy more efficient is a good idea. I still feel like I'm still being kind of inefficient when I do alchemy.

I don't know if I would say that, but it is a good thing to keep researching. I'm still learning new things when I Imbue, too.

This is okay, too, right? We're starting to make really powerful items, so I need to study even harder.

I have no problem with that.

OH! Brother is back to work on the Docks. I don't know what he was doing for a long time, but I saw him earlier today in town. We should go tell him about what we talked about with the airship.

Oh brother... Okay, okay.

Machines that can reach the sky

Escha started it... Marion just ran with the idea.

Brother, we want an airship that can take us to the Unexplored Ruins...

It's impossible. The turbulence is too unpredictable. The airship will be smashed to bits in midair.

Aww... I had a bad feeling about that. What if we modified it?

No, it's not a matter of modifications. I'm afraid that a blimp simply can't make it there.

Just making sure... No one can even get close to that thing, right? There are just too many obstacles, and the craft won't survive. That's what I've been told.

Yeah... It's a strange story, and I have no idea where it even came from.

Did you think of something, Logy?

A blimp...isn't stable or rigid enough. Is there any way to overcome those problems?

No, there isn't. The only airships we have available are... ...Oh, you're right! There are dreadnaughts now! One of those can probably make it.

Dreadnaughts? It's possibly the epitome of modern technology and alchemy, with a hardened hull. It's dense enough to survive the wind and the rubble. One of them's our best bet of reaching the Ruins.

Th-That's amazing! If we can get one of these here, we'd be able to make it there right away!

Well... I don't know if that's an option. Only a few have been built, and Central's researching them. Not to mention the dangers in manufacturing one... You can't simply pick one up and go.

Aw... It was a great idea, I thought...

Really!? So if we try really really hard, we might be able to build one ourselves!?

...Wait a second. Are you serious? That's impossible. It's too dangerous!

Don't you want to try it? Let's take on the challenge of building a dreadnaught!

Nothing will come of taking on an impossible task. We should think of another way to get there.

Don't worry, you'll have my full support. It's not every day you get to do something this interesting. I'll run it by Heizman; I'm sure he'll be happy to contribute. And I'll gather some Maintenance guys.

Really? Brother, you're the best!

Ugh... I guess there's no convincing these two. This is gonna be one hell of a ride.

Hahaha... Sorry, Logy, but I truly believe we can make this happen!

Now that that's settled, we need to start gathering materials for the ship's frame...a lot of 'em.

...And then gas to fill the ship. WIthout that, we won't get off the ground. That'll require alchemy. I don't know how to make that, and even if I knew the steps, I don't know if I could create it.

S-Still, we have to try our best! We've grown a bit too, you know?

Fine... But first, let's start by doing what we can! (Building an airship... This is going to be so exciting!)

How much Wood do you think Maintenance will need to start, Logy?

10 [Wood] items should be enough to start building the frame. That's a lot of lumber to get Maintenance started on working on the airship. Though, I don't know how big Central is making them, but that's okay. We just need something strong enough to make it through the rubble and debris surrounding the Unexplored Ruins.

Hmm...it'll take a few days then to gather all the materials.

But even if we do build the ship, we still need a way to make it get off the ground. I don't know how we're going to do that.

Yeah...I don't know about anything that would help move something really heavy off the ground.

Well, there is something from Katla I'd like to ask her about. It caught my eye last time we were here, and I do have to ask her about it while we're here.

Shrewd merchant

Hm? What is it? Please, ask me anything...

That old book... You haven't sold it yet? I'm actually a little curious about it.

What, this? My, you've got fine taste, don't you, Logy? My father found this book in some ruins...but I left it here because I don't know what to make of it. Why are you curious about it now? It's been here for a while.

We're trying to build a new airship right now... Maybe there's some relevant information in that book.

If that's the case, I suppose I could let you have a little peek. Here you go!

Well, Logy? Is there anything we can use in there?

I knew it! It's a book on alchemy. It shows how to create the gas that will lift even the dreadnaught.

Really!? So, with that book, we'll be able to make the materials we need?

It should. I need to take a closer look at it, though... (drat...I shouldn't have said that out loud with Katla nearby...)

...Huh? Is this something that we can use?

Katla, can we buy this right away!? We'll pay for it.

Well, well, well... If it's that important, then surely it should fetch a pretty penny...

Wh-What's that supposed to mean?

Well then... How about THIS much!?

!!!

Whaaaaaa? That's too expensive!

Well, it's pretty valuable, isn't it? I need to charge at least this much.

Is your bottom line the only thing you care about!?

Hmm... What should we do...? It's so expensive.

What was I thinking? How could we come up with this much money!?

Hehehehe, is that so? Well, I'm afraid we'll have to pretend this conversation never happened...

Aww... What should we do, Logy?

I shouldn't have let Katla know how valuable that book was to what we're trying to do.

Awww...is there anything we can do?

100,000 Cole is outrageous. There's no way she'll be able to sell it at that price. If we wait, she'll probably drop the price so she can at least get some money out of it. We just have to be patient for now.

Oh, that's what I forgot! Man...

Wh-What is it!?

We had to defeat a Mist Element at the Abandoned River's waterfall to complete this task. I totally forgot...we have to head back there to finish this up.

We'd better get ready, then...

Well, at least we finished it. I think there's a path at the far end. Want to go check it out?

Wha--? This is...

A homunculus village!

Look how tiny the houses are! Ahhhh, this is too cute!

This is a really interesting find. I bet even Solle doesn't know this is here. Oh, and I bet the homuculi were the ones leaving those barrels and boats around the river.

Yeah. We need to come back here all the time!

Heh...I don't know about that, but let's head back to town. I'm sure we have a lot to do after we report our success here.

Hmm, just like I thought. Let's see, we have...

1. Make a Tarot of Fate
  2. One Traveler's Ration or five Five Grain Flour bags to the official at the town entrance.
  3. Deliver [Antiques], Abrasives, or Dowsing Rods to the homunculi.
  4. Equip a Dowsing Rod and return to town.
  5. Disassemble a Lava Cube.
  6. Make a Lava Cube with the Falling Stars effect.
  7. Defeat the Carrier slag in the Southern Ruins.

You still have those Traveler's Rations, right?

Yeah, but...shouldn't we keep it for our adventures?

Well, you can always ask the homunculi to reproduce it, and then give the one you have to the official. As long as the homunculi know what to reproduce, you can get it back later. Looks like these rations are bound for the desert village, so...

Oh...yeah, they need it more than we do right now.

There we go.

We have enough Abrasives, too. That's two down!

We definitely need to buy this book. There's a lot of interesting recipes in there. At least she's not selling it for 100,000 Cole...

It should be a lot easier to find amazing relics with this. Who knows what incredible things we'll discover? I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

You should get started on the Lava Cube next. I'm really interested to see more magical alchemy.

Okay! I need to make some better Neutralizers first. The Black Neutralizer uses the heavy elements, and the White Neutralizer uses the light elements. Maybe there's a way to combine them.

Oh, you made a new catalyst for me? Thanks, Escha.

Yeah! This one's great. It slows down the monsters, and draws out their strength and adds it to your own. This should be much better!

A Tarot of Fate, huh? I've never even heard of something like this.

Tarot cards are for telling the future. I think this card can make lucky things happen more often. I don't really know.

Hmmm...

Wow...the Lava Cube is even more amazing than I thought. It's a condensed ball of pure fire that can set fire to anything. It's incredibly powerful.

Sounds like it, but...did you remember to get the Falling Stars effect?

Sure I did! Um...uh...I must've forgot...

Well, you can always make one for me, right?

Sure... Just don't let me forget. I'm sorry...

Well the homunculi are gathering more Phlogiston for us. Why don't we head to the Southern Ruins and take out that slag?

I've never seen that red slag before, but they don't seem very strong.

Wow, that is incredible. And it throws up so much magma that the effect repeats. This should be incredibly useful.

I'm using the Dowsing Rod. We should find much better relics now!

Oh, just a bomb? That's a little disappointing...

Hmm...something seems different about this one. Let's make sure to put it into the Dismantler when we get back.

I've never seen this material before...I guess we did find something really good.

Hey Logy, want to try asking Katla about the book again? Maybe the price has dropped.

That's a good idea.

Getting closer

What's that?

About that book that tells you how to fly... Since you both seemed so interested in it, I decided to give you a discount...

(That didn't take long.)

Hey, maybe we'll be able to afford it now! How much is it?

What would you say to THIS much!? You can't turn it down, can ya?

I saw this coming, but...you did drop it by quite a bit.

It's still very expensive, though... What should we do?

What choice do we have? Sorry, I can't afford it, even at this price.

I see... Still too expensive, huh...?

I don't think anyone would buy it unless you lower the price some more.

Hmm... You can't fool me, you know! I know this book's worth a ton!

...You'll probably lower the price again. I think we'll have to watch and wait for you to do that.

Katla shouldn't be so stubborn.

Well, when it comes to Katla, it sounds about right, but yeah...we have enough things to buy without paying so much for a single book. We'll just have to keep an eye on her inventory.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
As you might expect, it actually is possible to buy Katla's book if you somehow have 100,000 Cole by this point in the game, a near impossibility unless you're on a New Game+. She basically just goes "Holy cow, really?", and gives you two free (pretty good) accessories to go along with it as a bonus. However, you have to get this book to complete the game, so you'll eventually get it for free if you're a real cheapskate after the second discount (it goes from 100,000 to 50,000 to 2,000).

But, that's why I have my Logy playthrough going. I'll post the "Buying for 100,000 scene" in the Bonus Update after Part XV. The reason I'm not recording much actual gameplay as Logy is because New Game+ features are kind of making the game a lot easier than it normally would be. Towards the end of the game, though, I'll probably have Logy in the saddle more.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Sylphid posted:

As you might expect, it actually is possible to buy Katla's book if you somehow have 100,000 Cole by this point in the game, a near impossibility unless you're on a New Game+. She basically just goes "Holy cow, really?", and gives you two free (pretty good) accessories to go along with it as a bonus.

:eng101: She also gives you a (badly translated) Dunkelheit! The name is pretty mangled, something like Dunkle Hide, so you probably didn't notice. You can have the homunculi duplicate it and have the best alchemy material in quantity a few assignments before you're supposed to be able to get them. Even when you can legitimately find them, it's kind of a pain in the rear end since they're really rare, so the 100k book is actually kind of worth it if you're lazy and have more money than sense (as you will on NG+).

Are you going to show off how to break the economy with Purple Crystals? Even if you don't exploit it, the synthesis involved is pretty neat and when this system really clicked with me.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Fetucine posted:

:eng101: She also gives you a (badly translated) Dunkelheit! The name is pretty mangled, something like Dunkle Hide, so you probably didn't notice. You can have the homunculi duplicate it and have the best alchemy material in quantity a few assignments before you're supposed to be able to get them. Even when you can legitimately find them, it's kind of a pain in the rear end since they're really rare, so the 100k book is actually kind of worth it if you're lazy and have more money than sense (as you will on NG+).

Are you going to show off how to break the economy with Purple Crystals? Even if you don't exploit it, the synthesis involved is pretty neat and when this system really clicked with me.

It might be hard to integrate something like that into the story, but I could always put the obligatory Atelier economy break in the next bonus update. How does it work?

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Sylphid posted:

It might be hard to integrate something like that into the story, but I could always put the obligatory Atelier economy break in the next bonus update. How does it work?

Purple Crystals have a pretty high base price for whatever reason, I guess because they're a fairly advanced synthesis, so you can make it skyrocket with the price increase properties. The best ones are Premium Price, Rare Goods, and High Price++; you have to make the first two by combining properties.

Here's one way to do it, spoilered for anybody playing along who wants to figure it out themselves:

1. Make two sets of Leather, one using Soft Fur and the other Quality Fur. The set with Soft Fur should keep the High Price property, the Quality Fur set should keep High Price+.
2. Make Distilled Water with the High Price+ Leather and a Silver Hive (which has the High Price++ property. If you don't have one, they're rare gathers in Twilight Forest). While synthesizing, I think you need to use Division on the Silver Hive due to how property combining works. Take the Rare Goods and High Price++ properties.
3. Make a Mixed Lubricant using both the High Price and High Price+ Leather. Keep High Class Item.
4. Make a Crystal Ball with the Mixed Lubricant; inherit High Class Item and PP+3 (level 2 property from making a Crystal Ball). PP+3 isn't strictly necessary, depending on your alchemy level and how much research you've done, but it's better to be safe.
5. Make a Purple Crystal with the Crystal Ball you just made and the Distilled Water from step 2. Use Division to re-add the Distilled Water's properties (you may need CP Recovery), and try to max its effect bar. You may need the Purple Crystals level 2 property, PP+5, to take all three properties, but it's pretty trivial to get.

With a maxed effect bar and those three properties, Purple Crystals sell for about 4500 each, and homunculi duplicate them in 15ish days while using one of the more common candies. Now you, too, can flood the market with overpriced knickknacks.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey, Threia's analyze is Vayne's first ability from Mana Khemia. I always liked that skill. Analyze the enemy HP values and whack them a few times! It was a solid attack skill for the first dungeon or so.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Oh hey, Threia's analyze is Vayne's first ability from Mana Khemia. I always liked that skill. Analyze the enemy HP values and whack them a few times! It was a solid attack skill for the first dungeon or so.

I was about to say that Analyze was kind of A Thing in Atelier in general but turns out on a cursory search that it only shows up in the MK games and here. Welp. Guess I'm just misremembering things.

And Sylphid, I've been lurking the Atelier threads since the beginning, and I just wanted to tell you good luck, we're all counting on you. that you're pretty drat good.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This line:

quote:

Dreadnaughts? It's possibly the epitome of modern technology and alchemy, with a hardened hull. It's dense enough to survive the wind and the rubble. One of them's our best bet of reaching the Ruins.
Is probably not really Escha, is it?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

OddObserver posted:

This line:

Is probably not really Escha, is it?

So it isn't. I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often. Thanks.

Also, thank you very much Grinnblade. I try my best.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 3, 2014

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
For some reason, I keep thinking Solle is a lady, and get thrown off when he's referred to as a man.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like it when a game responds to you paying its "ridiculous price" for something.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I didnt think there would be Atelier news in today's Nintendo Direct, but here we are.

Atelier Rorona coming for Nintendo 3DS.

It seems like it might be a spinoff title? I havent watched the japanese direct yet.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIII: The Abyssal Depths and Graveyard

Finding a Lava Cube to disassemble...the assignment said to go to the Abandoned River, but I don't know where it could be.

Yeah, I don't know where to start.

Escha, stop. There's something at your feet. It looks...

Like a Lava Cube! Wow, that was lucky.

Yeah. At least we found it in time. Wanna head back now?

17 days left, and we finished the last task. That was pretty close, but at least we're done.

This should be the last book. I need to do more research to make better items.

Logy, while we're in town, do you want to give the wood to the Maintenance Division? It's been a little while since we asked Brother about it.

Yeah...let's take care of it. Awin should have had plenty of time by now to run it by Heizman (hopefully he was against it).

The construction begins

Hm... This should be plenty for what we're doing. Let's try and build that.

I've been meaning to ask you... Can you even design a dreadnaught? I don't want to rain on your parade, but... It's better to know now, rather than learn it later.

Heh, I'm glad you asked. Y'know, I've admired airship design since I was a kid... I've mocked some up.

Wow! You studied the engineering all on your own?

Yeah, I thought that if I understood hwo to build an airship with my own hands, I could go a lot farther. With that in mind, I'm happy these designs got to see the light of day again.

I...I see. That's impressive, but do we have the manpower? Maintenance is spread pretty thin as it is.

Y'see... Heizman's all for it. He said, "How can I turn down this chance of a lifetime?" So, he worked with Marion to talk to Colland. We don't have to worry about labor or budgets.

You've already done that much...? This has really gotten out of hand.

I see... Thank you, Brother, for coming on board such a reckless project.

Cut that out. We haven't done anything yet, and there's no guarantee that it'll work.

He's right. We haven't worked out all the kinks. I think we need to work with some more caution...

I agree. We'll be careful with the process. We don't want anyone getting injured on this quest. Nevertheless, I'm pretty impressed about your knowledge of airships. Have you studied them?

Y-Yeah... I was interested in them. A while ago.

Whoa, that's so cool, Logy! You learned all that just because it interested you?

We're building a prototype right now. We'll bring it over when it's done. Start looking forward to it!

Good luck with your work, Brother! We'll keep gathering more materials for you, too!

So did you study airships in Central City, Logy?

Uh, yeah...it was a hobby more than anything. Whenever I had some free time, I researched airship design on my own. I didn't get the chance to leave my atelier very often, so it was the only-

Hello, Mr. Harry. What are you doing?

I'm making some purchases to prepare for an adventure. I prefer to oversee these things myself.

So why did you decide to become an adventurer, Harry? I know you've said that you search for strange things...

A very good question! I owe thanks to certain twists of fate, and to my own curiosity. Let's just say that I'm currently writing a sequel to my book, recounting my various adventures.

...So it's to write a book?

You wrote a book, Mr. Harry? I wonder what kind of book it is...

Oh, I've actually written a number of books, but this will be my greatest compilation yet. My goal is to write a grand travelogue of the various unexplored regions of the world. It will be the only book of its kind in the world! I call it "From the Wilderness"!

That sounds wonderful! It would be totally unique!

(Escha is impressed pretty easily...) Well, he's still writing it, so of course it would be unique.

I really want to read it! Can I read what you have so far, Harry? Just a little?

If I were to stop writing, it would likely take me another...oh, three years or so to complete.

No way... Okay, I'll wait for now.

My apologies, but a book shines brightest when it is complete. It's rare to find a devoted fan. It's very valuable, but...I'm doing this for you. I swear you will be the first to read my book!

Really!? I'm so looking forward to it!

...This isn't good. I need to come up with more ideas, and quickly.

Hm? Harry, did you say something?

N-No, nothing. Don't you worry about anything at all.

Now, I suppose I should get to finishing my book. Things will get quite busy now!

What are you doing, making things like that, Escha?

Oh, the Crystal Balls...they're really magical items. I've heard some people use them to see the future, but I've never seen anything. Anyway, it's a really powerful item, and some people pay a lot of money for these kinds of things. I should keep them somewhere safe.

I see... Anyway, Escha, I've been keeping track of your progress, and it looks like you're about ready to attempt all the major alchemy skills that were written in your mother's book.

Really!? Wow...

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to learn how the homunculi think so you can make them work on more items at once, but try not to get too carried away with reading that book in your free time.

Heh heh, we'll see!

These Crystal Rings will give anyone who wears them an incredible amount of power. It should really help!

Ugh...what a pain.

Wilbell asked me to tinker with it a little and see if I can make some adjustments.

Huh? When did you talk to her?

A few weeks ago, I guess. You asked me to get some alchemy materials from Katla and I saw her in town. Anyway... It's actually harder than it looks to make a broom according to specs.

Wow, that's unexpected. I thought it would be pretty easy to make a broom.

I think it's weird that you can use one as a weapon in the first place... Plus, she asked me to make it "easier to ride". How the hell would I know what that means?

Hahaha, that's not just something you can look up, I guess.

...That's a good point. I don't know how changing a broom affects its magical properties.

Maybe it helps with the magician's concentration, or something, like my staff!

I get the feeling that it's not quite the same, but then again I don't really understand mages.

Hmm... I've read a lot of stories that had witches in them, and they always used brooms, too. Maybe Wilbell wants to be like the great witches of old!

Hmm...that's not a bad idea. Wilbell just likes showing off she's a witch, so that's likely. Well, it's basically worthless to me, since I don't understand anything about magic. I'll give it to her when I see her next.

Well, we only have a week left. Why don't we gather some more basic materials in Twilight Forest before the assignment ends?

Good idea! I don't have anything I need to make right now, either.

Slag attack

I wish we didn't have to worry about powerful slags attacking everywhere we go, though...

That's incredible!

What is?

Do you see that shiny stone with all the colors of the rainbow? That's an Aurora Stone! If you use it in a weapon, it'll get so much more powerful!

Uhh...okay. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Alright, that's the end of another assignment. I really wish we could have done something for the village, but...

Yeah, me too, but maybe Central can send some more people to help...

R&D's staffed up, and we have a lot of consultants working with us... It's getting pretty lively here.

That's true. I guess our division can finally operate at its full potential. I'm quite glad of that. Things were really difficult until you came, you know? I had to go out on investigations on my own.

You did all that yourself? Wow, that sounds pretty dangerous.

Why, I'm insulted. I do believe I could best the both of you in a match, if we had one...

R-Really...? I thought you were more into paperwork, and less into, y'know...moving.

At times, the paperwork is tougher than your average monster. No matter how I fight, it never stops.

You do have a lot of work, boss... I know that feeling.

I suppose I've been a desk jockey for too long. Maybe I need to get out there and back into the groove.

Yes... And if you don't exercise, you'll start gaining weight, too. Hahaha...

I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

Anyway, let's talk about your performance over the last period... Good work. You determined the cause of the drought, and our manager's increased our staff to investigate.

I'm sorry, I think we could have done a better job, but...

No, you were very thorough. On top of that, you completed a few side tasks as well. You did your best. The villagers to the north have decided to leave, but with all your hard work, they're coming around...

Really...? If that's the case, then I guess that's okay.

But I confess I'm surprised that you two would be able to defeat such a large monster.

It was a pretty difficult fight. I'm glad we came out on top.

That critter's been tearing up crops in the region. It wasn't your mission, but you did good.

I see... Well, I wasn't expecting to be helpful in such a strange way.

Very well, I'll now give you this period's assignment.

("Slag Graveyard?" Never heard of it.) Ruins...? What kind of place are we going to next?

A place so full of slags, apparently, that the excavation isn't making any progress at all. This is why they've requested assistance from our division, which also has some combat prowess.

Hmm... So we have to go fight the slags, too? That sounds kind of difficult.

Yes, according to the information, there are eyewitness accounts of a humongous slags.

That's a little troubling... We should probably defeat, too, I suppose?

If it's possible, then I recommend it. But, please, the priority is on your safety above all. Just focus on your main task. You can worry about the giant slag once you've completed it.

Got it! So for now, we just need to help the investigation!

Wow, we've already done a lot...

Yeah. We could complete this assignment really quick. Anyway, we should probably head out to town and check up on everyone.

But we still cannot capture this man? What a fearsome opponent.

What's the matter, Micie? Why the long face?

I was looking at the most recent list of wanted criminals from Central City.

Wanted criminals...? That sounds scary...

Don't worry. This town is quite safe and orderly. There is no need to fear. That said, criminals do tend to have hideouts far away from Central City. I suggest exercising caution.

A hideout, huh? I suppose it's possible in this remote region... Who's the most dangerous, Micie?

(I never thought I'd have to hear that name again...)

I see... Silver hair and a mustache. And he smokes cigarettes? I haven't seen anyone like that.

Well, that's good. It would be a disaster if we happened to find this man here.

Wow, is he that dangerous?

Destruction of property, graverobbing, and major damage to our institution of government. Despite having been on the Most Wanted list for quite some time, he never leaves a trail...never.

When you list out his crimes like that, it sounds pretty bad... But is he really as dangerous as that?

I'm not too sure about the details, but apparently he was involved in some important alchemical research. Though he hasn't harmed any people yet, this is an extremely dangerous individual.

I see... An alchemist criminal. That could be pretty troublesome.

This is a good learning experience... Maybe I should check the wanted list, too...

Please do. If you happen to find anything, please inform us. Do not take any actions on your own.

Oh, um, yes... Just around the corner. I was going to go gather some herbs.

Huh!? I-Isn't going by yourself pretty dangerous, Nio!?

I know there aren't many monsters this area, but it's still dangerous to wander around alone! Especially now that it's possible that criminals are hiding out in the area.

R-Really...? That's quite scary. Thank you for the warning. I'll be sure to be careful.

(Nio's sister...)

Yes, please exercise as much caution as you can.

Yes! Well then, I'll be back!

It's important for we inspectors to do our jobs thoroughly, for the safety of people like her.

You mean you have to go after criminals, too? That must be really tough for you, Micie...

Hm... If Keithgriff is doing alchemy, he might have lived in Central City at one time. Have you ever heard his name, Logy?

Yeah, I did. I've only heard about him from other people, though. He was a great researcher, but one day turned against his own research and destroyed a lot of alchemy equipment. He disappeared about 7 years ago, and he was heading east last time he was seen, but...no one's seen him since.

Nio's older sister is wanted by Central, too... I don't want to think she's a bad person, but I just hope no criminals come here to Colseit.

Another step forward

Wh-What's the matter? You look upset.

That book from the other day... Please, buy it. I set the price too high, and no one's willing to pay.

O-Oh, right... Well...

You should've given us a fair price from the beginning. How much is it this time?

Um... I'm going as low as I can here. It'll cost you this much.

That's a LOT cheaper... I think we can afford ths.

You sure you can't go any lower than that?

I really can't! Please, I've got to make a living here, too! Also, I do have another buyer lined up who's willing to pay a little more...

Really? Why don't you sell it to that person instead?

Uh... You said that you really need it, so I really want you to buy it. If you still don't want to buy it, I'm going to have to sell it to the other interested party...

What do you think, Escha?

Let's buy it! Katla needs to eat, too, and we need the book. 2000 is a much better price.

Yeah. And if that other person buys it, we may never see it again. Okay, it's a deal.

Okay, we'll buy it for that price. Thanks for saving it for us.

No, it's okay... It was my fault to begin with. Thank you very much for your purchase.

If you put a fair price on your goods, we'll buy them from you. I hope you've learned your lesson.

Ahaha... Yes, I'll be careful.

Now, let's get to reading this book!

Oh, I totally forgot!

What?

Today's the day I promised to help Clone with the apple orchard! I was going to work with Nio to pick the year's apples.

Oh. Do you need my help?

Hm...I don't think so. You should probably bring that book back before I ruin by working. Oh, and I'll be gone all day, so feel free to grab something to eat, too.

Sounds like it's going to be a long day then. Okay, I'll speak to you tonight.

Yes, I'll do my best!

Oh, are you about to begin the harvest?

Yes. It's best to harvest the ripe ones while we still have time.

Do you want to help, Escha? I've never picked apples before, so it would be nice to have some advice.

Oh, of course... Actually, it's been a long time since I helped with a harvest, too.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

Got it! So the red ones are ripe enough to eat?

Yes. It's fine if you only pick the ones you can reach. Don't push yourself.

Umm, so like this one? Yay, I got one!

Uh... That's not good, Nio.

What? But I did just like you said!

Yes, but you pulled out from the stem. It's going to slowly go bad from that spot now. When picking apples, be careful not to remove the stem, or bruise the fruits.

So that's what you need to do. THis is more difficult than it looks.

Don't worry. Just be careful to leave the stem, and do as I taught you.

This apple looks a little damaged, so what should I do with it?

You can pick those, too. They can still be processed, or used for cooking.

I see. Then I'll pick this, too. Oh, this one is big and red... Careful, careful... Yay, I got it!

I'll take the damaged ones first. Please continue your work.

...Clone, how did you manage to pick so many?

Clone is actually really good at picking apples...

Hmm... Well, I'm going to pick more than Clone!

What is it, Harry? Is something troubling you?

Yes. I'm actually having a hard time coming up with ideas for my book. I want more digression. Would you mind telling me a few things about this place? You don't seem to be from this area.

Yes. I was born and raised in a city far from here. This area is quite new to me. I think you would hear more from asking other people.

No, I'd prefer some additional viewpoints. Are there any customs or such that you find strange?

Let me think... Well, there aren't any schools around here. That was very surprising to learn.

"Schools"? Is that some sort of facility?

Well, the buildings are called schools. But i mean, there's no formal education system. Where I'm from, children enter schools, where they do things like study.

What? You're forced to enter studies at such an early age?

Yes. Once you've learned enough, you enter an occupation that makes use of what you studied.

"School..." Interesting. I could have used that!

What happened, Harry? Did I say something strange?

No, I just hadn't heard of any such thing. I was actually researching how to spread knowledge. I was wondering why my scholarly discoveries weren't acknowledge more widely in the world... If I could use these...schools...to spread the wonders of my book, so many more people would know me!

It may be worth introducing the concept to regions that don't have schools yet.

It's certainly something I would love to tell my homeland about. However, it's so far away... Could you give me a clearer explanation of them? I'd like to write a new book now.

Oh, oh dear, how could I forget! That should be my priority right now... To think an idea for a new chapter would become the nucleus for an entirely new book... This is a troubling decision. I wonder which I should focus on. Hm...

Don't you think you should finish the one you started on already? Concentrate on the other one later.

You're absolutely right, Logy. I'll do as you suggest and complete my current work. To think I would discover such a revolutionary idea in this quiet part of the world... How amazing!

I didn't think he'd get so excited over the concept of schools. Guess it's unheard of in some places. Alright, time to get back and start reading that book. Guess Escha isn't done yet.

Very good work. Thank you very much for your help today, Nio. I'll give you some fresh apples later, as thanks for today's work.

Really? Thanks!

Um, Clone. What about mine...?

Oh, dear. Perhaps I'll make an apple tart for a change.

Wow, I haven't had one of your apple tarts in a long time! I'm glad I came to help, then.

Conspiracy?

Huh? Someone's knocking.

Mr. Ficsario, I presume? Do you have a moment?

Sure... What's the problem?

Has there been anything strange around you in the past few days?

Strange...? Not that I would say.

Something trivial, anything at all... Anything that you've noticed being unusual...

Well, if you really want to know... Escha made us some snacks the other day that were tastier than usual.

...That's not exactly what I was looking for.

Stop beating about the bush and tell me what you want.

...Lately, I've been hearing about a number of power struggles between the alchemists in Central Cty.

I've heard the rumors, too. What of them?

Mr. Ficsario, could your being stationed in this remote area be a result of one such grab for power?

Me? Hah... You're overthinking this.

So you say... You did receive your education in Central City, did you not? And yet, here you are, working far from civilization out on the frontier... It doesn't add up. I have an inclination to ascribe this to a great conspiracy...

You're being paranoid. The branch here was short-staffed. I went where I was needed. That simple.

I see... Perhaps it all takes place somewhere you cannot see.

Are you listening to a word I'm saying? Keep it up, and you will really get me angry.

Ah...! Excuse me. I think I've gotten ahead of myself. Let's both calm down a bit, shall we?

Listen, Micie... I volunteered to be stationed here. It wasn't an order from someone else. ...Besides, I'm getting used to life here, and it's not that bad. I don't plan to go back anytime soon.

I see... Well then, please forgive me. It would seem that I had been overthinking things a bit.

As long as you understand that.

As a token of apology, I would like to give you whatever aid I can in building your airship. I have some research material I was planning to use in my inspection at the R&D Division. It may be useful.

H-Hey, that's...!

Now, if you'll excuse me. I hope that you can complete your airship.

Hey, wait--! Ugh... drat... This could get really ugly. Well, I'll just have to see how things work out... Anyway, Escha still isn't back yet. Guess I should do a little cleaning.

Hey, Logy, are you still awake?

Yeah, I'm just finishing up. I put the book we got from Katla on the desk. I looked in it, and the recipe tells us how to make a Flight Gas Jar.

Yay! We're making progress!

There's a little problem, though...

We don't have the right ingredients... It's no big loss, anyway. We have an assignment we need to take care of. If we find the right ingredients, we'll make it.

Yeah. We should get ready to go.

Marion's map said the Slag Graveyard was about a three day flight in the balloon from the mountain atelier. So, that's a travel time of about a week. Flying a night is going to be a little strange, though.

D-D-D-Don't you think that there...might be something here, you guys?

Huuuuh? Wh-What do you mean!? Do you think something's here...!?

L-Like a ghost or something...

Eeeek! No, don't say that, Lucille! That's so scary, I don't wanna hear it!

...Sorry to interrupt you when you're busy scaring each other, but we need to keep moving.

Um, Logy... Aren't you s-s-scared, too?

But since they don't exist, why should I be afraid of them?

W-Well, that's easy for you to say...

B-But you're right. There's nothing scary about ghosts... Nothing scary... Nothing... Okay, let's keep going!

Waaah! Escha! Don't leave me behind!

The faster we move, the faster we can get out of here. I don't like it much here, either.

Music: Corpse

Escha, the light here is very bad, and it's crawling with slags. Make sure you stay very close to me and the rest of us. There's no telling what we'll find here.

It's incredible how powerful Linca can use her sword. The ground shakes every time she hits an enemy.

How does she do that!?

Yeah! We need to look even harder for better relics!

Wow...the path is so narrow. We really need to be careful.

All these slag husks are strange... What happened here?

Music: Rut of Time

There are Slag husks like this all over the place around here.

There are far too many Slags for them to have just been living here normally.

Is this a mass Slag grave?

Maybe. Either that, or there could have been a huge battle here at some point. Whatever it was, we still have no idea exactly what happened.

I see. So there are some things you can't know even when you investigate.

If we look around and find documents from the past, we might learn some new information.

Also, there's still a lot of value in finding relics. We should take a break before getting back to work.

I was just talking to this Slag over here.

Talking...to a dead Slag?

Well, they don't know how the world is now. I thought I'd let them know.

That's, uh, thoughtful. What were you talking about?

The town, and interesting things that have happened lately, and the bargains to be found in my store.

Why would you tell a Slag about what's in your store?

I guess you're right. But it does make me realize that lots of people are still struggling to get by. I also told them that we still haven't forgotten them.

...You sure are different, Katla. I've never heard of someone who thinks about Slags like that.

I think it's good to be sentimental, Logy.

Heh...I just felt sorry for them, so I guess I did something strange.

Haha. Well, let's get going.

Okay... Hmm? Is that...

This looks very useful. Was this yours? ...Okay, I'll borrow it. I'll make sure to put it to good use. Thank you very much.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 6, 2014

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
What's the name of the theme that plays when you win a battle? I really like it.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Either my memory's playing tricks on me, or I notice you didn't point out some judicious editing. ;) I think that assignment is the one where the script refers to the slags as "slugs," and nobody noticed since it wasn't voiced. Needless to say my brother and I were having fun with that one. "Watch out, it's a humongous slug!" "Good thing we just got the recipe for Purifying Salt!"

Speaking of, my brother was doing the Logy route and playing ahead of me, and when he got to where Katla wanted 100000 for the book, he took advantage of the fact it's plot-mandated and just refused every deal. Sure enough, you do get it for free (the "other buyer" is Harry, and he gives it to Escha), but with absolutely no bennies like the aforementioned Dunkelheit or Gunade Ring.

Gotta love Aurora Stones. Comet Attack is the first of several properties that add all elements to your attacks, and that was the moment where we realized that, no, Gust hadn't learned anything about game balance since Atelier Iris 2. ...well, not entirely true: at least in Eschatology, added elements only apply on your attacks and skills, not to supports and [I'm pretty sure anyway] finishers.

And seriously, the local engineering team building the Hindenburg in their garage in a year will never stop cracking me up.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Wayne posted:

Either my memory's playing tricks on me, or I notice you didn't point out some judicious editing. ;) I think that assignment is the one where the script refers to the slags as "slugs," and nobody noticed since it wasn't voiced. Needless to say my brother and I were having fun with that one. "Watch out, it's a humongous slug!" "Good thing we j

My policy is to fix any translation errors during scriptwriting, but you are correct. Marion and Escha call slags slugs in that scene. But I kept the formatting for the last scene, where slag is capitalized. The only reason for that is because that is a DLC scene, and was probably translated at a different time than the rest of the game.

Also, Escha's victory theme is called Updraft on the OST.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love that every one of Mincie's flashy attacks missed in that fight. That's what you get for grandstanding.

Still loving Linca's animations.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Sylphid posted:

Also, Escha's victory theme is called Updraft on the OST.

Youtube seems to think it's her battle theme.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Youtube seems to think it's her battle theme.

Whoops, they're right. Her victory theme is Increase the Altitude.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I kind of liked Katla's interaction with the slags.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Also, good news for those who wanted to see Logy's DLC costume, after much soul-searching (read: not much), I have decided to invest in both his alternate costume and Escha's second alternate costume, though I still stand by liking the witch outfit more. Variety is the spice of life and all that. 99% sure Logy will have a new victory pose, since both of Escha's alternate costumes give her a different win pose.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like the witch costume more too. Her default costume is kinda plain.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Hey, Sylphid, this may sound like a strange request, but do you think you could start mixing up your battle strategy? I've noticed that you tend to spam damage items as Logy and Escha, and while it's the practical thing to do, it gets sort of boring after a while. I'm not saying don't use those items, but I also want to see more of things like Logy's "Blitz" abilities, or just straight up damage skills.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Hey, Sylphid, this may sound like a strange request, but do you think you could start mixing up your battle strategy? I've noticed that you tend to spam damage items as Logy and Escha, and while it's the practical thing to do, it gets sort of boring after a while. I'm not saying don't use those items, but I also want to see more of things like Logy's "Blitz" abilities, or just straight up damage skills.

That's fair. I'll try to use those more often in the future, especially now that I actually start making halfway decent weapons (ultimate equipment, is, of course, very far off), but just keep in mind that for the game's super bosses, you basically have no choice BUT to use attack / healing items when using Escha and Logy, since those enemies have such mountains of HP that even a strike from ultimate equipment doesn't faze them that much. But, I'll certainly keep your request in mind for future battle videos. I'll also try to use different party members more often.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Sylphid posted:

That's fair. I'll try to use those more often in the future, especially now that I actually start making halfway decent weapons (ultimate equipment, is, of course, very far off), but just keep in mind that for the game's super bosses, you basically have no choice BUT to use attack / healing items when using Escha and Logy, since those enemies have such mountains of HP that even a strike from ultimate equipment doesn't faze them that much. But, I'll certainly keep your request in mind for future battle videos. I'll also try to use different party members more often.

Cool, good to hear. Also, this LP and your Ayesha one have finally convinced me to play the series, so I picked up a copy of Ayesha yesterday. Thanks!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Cool, good to hear. Also, this LP and your Ayesha one have finally convinced me to play the series, so I picked up a copy of Ayesha yesterday. Thanks!

It's very satisfying to know people are playing these games because of me.

In other Atelier news, following up on that surprise Rorona announcement for the 3DS, Shallie's localized release date has been confirmed via the official site. March 13th, 2015 is the day. About the same time in 2015 as Escha was released this year.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

Sylphid posted:

Are Escha and Logy the only two (as alchemists) who can use the attack items you craft? Or do the other characters just hit hard enough that it's less worth it to have them not using skills?

Another combat question, and sorry if I missed an answer earlier: how does the support attack/defend system run? Does support defending kick the covered character into the back row and temporarily out of the fight (unless covered by one of the active three)? It seems like there's little downside to ensuring you've got a defending action on any attack of substantial size, otherwise

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Only the alchemists can use items, yeah. That's traditionally been their "thing," and makes them ultimately and inevitably the best characters in their Atelier game. It used to be more of a tradeoff when using an item literally used the item up and you had to make more, though each game usually gave you easy ways to do so.

Genaro posted:

Another combat question, and sorry if I missed an answer earlier: how does the support attack/defend system run?

Taking actions usually increases the support gauge (there are a handful of things, mostly auto-use items and such, that lower it). A guard support uses half a stock, while a support attack uses a whole one-- but that attack itself generates support gauge like normal. It depends on your setup, but I've found that you should probably have 3 stocks before trying to use a finisher (3 attacks will usually generate enough support gauge for one more assist).

And yes, a big part of Eschatology's combat system is getting your combos off while ensuring you can still defend. Not only does that let you pick who gets hit, it reduces the damage pretty substantially, to the point that some bosses will one-hit kill you if you can't defend. As for switching, that only happens if you use the character "backing up" the person being attacked; if you choose someone else in the front row, they'll just take the hit and then go back to where they were.

Sylphid posted:

It's very satisfying to know people are playing these games because of me.

Yeah, count me in for that too, actually. :) My brother owned the first two Atelier Iris games back in the day, but it wasn't until we saw your LP of... Totori? I think? that we got Rorona through GameFly.

Edit: v :respek:

Wayne fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 8, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Genaro posted:

Are Escha and Logy the only two (as alchemists) who can use the attack items you craft? Or do the other characters just hit hard enough that it's less worth it to have them not using skills?

Another combat question, and sorry if I missed an answer earlier: how does the support attack/defend system run? Does support defending kick the covered character into the back row and temporarily out of the fight (unless covered by one of the active three)? It seems like there's little downside to ensuring you've got a defending action on any attack of substantial size, otherwise

For your first question, nope. In regular PS3 Atelier fashion (and maybe the other games. Wouldn't know), only the characters explicitly referred to as alchemists can use items. And by the end of the game, the power of attack items will do much, much, much more damage than anything the regular characters can muster. However, that is certainly not to say the other characters are useless in the end-game. Threia's Special Support Skill in particular is very good, since it auto-debuffs the enemy in every way. This will come into play more when a new attack item mechanic is introduced later in the game.

For support attack / defend, when a regular / skill attack begins (Super Attacks don't count), you can have all the other characters who are in the active formation (so, six characters total, with a total of 10 playable characters) join into the attack with the corresponding button input as long as you have a sufficient amount of the support gauge on the right filled up.

If you choose to defend with a back row character, the character in the back row you chose gets thrown to the front to defend, and the character who was getting defended will be shuffled back into reserve. When the defending character gets a turn, you can then switch them back, assuming they're not KO'd. Well, the mechanics if a character getting KO'd are a little different. If I defended Escha with Reyfer who was in reserve, for example, and Reyfer got KO'd before he could get another turn, then when Reyfer's turn comes up next, Escha will automatically take Reyfer's old place, but in exchange, Reyfer is out of the fight until you use a healing item to bring him back from KO by using a healing item to target the back row. This goes on until you run out of reserve characters, whereupon you'll lose the battle if all six characters you brought in get KO'd.

But, this is why having a lot of the Support Gauge filled up is a very good idea. It's worth noting that support attacks take 1 whole Support Gauge number (but since the support attack, obviously, counts as an attack, it's more like .75 of the gauge all told), and defending takes .50. Also, healing items and skills raise the gauge more than attack items / attacking, so it's also a wise idea to balance attacking with healing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So basically the Mana Khemia battle system?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIV: The Hotblooded Manager and Bartender

I didn't expect Katla to talk like that about slags.

Yeah, I didn't see that coming. Guess you can never predict how some people will act.

Oh, that's a great find, Escha. Do you mind if I take them?

Oh, no, go ahead!

We've come down quite a way... Is it getting harder to breathe for you too, Logy?

Yeah, it's definitely getting harder to breathe this far down. We should complete this investigation as soon as possible, but I'm still worried about that giant slag Marion talked about. We haven't seen anything like that so far, so it has to be close, if it exists...

I can barely see anything...just stay close.

Much better!

Something feels strange...let's investigate that bright light ahead.

We're pretty far in now...

Do you think we went a little too far?

There's no harm in gathering more information. Having said that, it looks like there's nothing here.

Th-Then, let's go back already! I-I-It's really creepy here!

Eeeeeeeeek! Here it comes!

J-Just calm down, it's not a ghost! This is NOT a ghost!

I-It's like I can hear it directly in my head...

Who goes there!?

drat, what the hell is this?

S-Something's coming our way... Eeek!

Titanic slag

Music: Agame yo, Ware no Shinki

Well...I guess we found that gigantic slag.

How is it creating that much power!?

Things are going pretty well. It's not as strong as I thought it would be. Escha, just stay focused! It's badly weakened!

It's getting way more aggressive!

This thing is a lot faster than you'd think for a gigantic slag.

Logy, are you okay!?

Yeah... The bullets sting, but they're not going through my body. I'll be fine.

Linca is so calm...I think she's about to do something incredible!

Music: FJ: The Pen and the Sword Part 3

She just...completely tore that slag apart...

I think I'm kind of scared of Linca now...

Yeah... Wow, that was close. I'm not hearing that voice any more, though... I wonder what it was.

I have no idea, but it's really dangerous here... Let's proceed with caution. (Could it have been the slag? That's impossible, but...)

Haven't we seen this somewhere before...?

Yeah, it looks a lot like that thing you picked up, Escha.

I thought so... Okay, let's take this with us, too!

You sure like these things... I guess it won't be much to take it with us, but... Still.

Logy, what is all this?

No idea. Looks like a power core for the facility. I imagine this might have been a slag production facility a long time ago, though it's definitely been abandoned for a while. I'm just guessing, though, based on the number of slags and slag remains around. Hm, and about that giant slag...

Maybe the people of the past fought each other a lot...we've fought a lot of really powerful slags lately, and slags can multiply by themselves. They shouldn't need really powerful slags like that if they were just helpers.

I agree, but there's no use dwelling on it here. Let's finish the survey of the Graveyard and leave. I haven't seen the sun in a long time now.

Oooh! This is a great material. It's pretty dangerous to handle, though...

Linca is sure thinking about food a lot.

Of course! She has so much energy, she needs to eat a lot.

What does that...?

'm just surprised she's so pretty even though she eats so much.

This is the Disposal Area. Looks like we've investigated all of the Graveyard.

Hey Logy, doesn't that look like the Tank we fought at the Old Highway?

Yeah, it does. It doesn't look quite right, though. Maybe they used this area to get rid of slag models that didn't work. That's my guess. Is there anything valuable around here?

Some SP Medicine, and... Escha, did you find anything over there?

Yeah! Looks like a really ancient recipe book. Do you want to head back now?

Yeah. Unless you have anything else you need to do here, I'm ready to leave.

What's the matter, Escha? Are those the lithograph pieces you found?

Yes, I was organizing the things we found and was wondering if it's the same thing.

We found them in different locations. How could they possibly be part of a single stone?

Hey, Logy! Please take a look at this! These two fit together, right!?

That's very strange... They really are part of the same stone.

Umm... What is this? Does this look like...a human...to you?

Y-Yeah, and they seem to be in the same location, too. ...What are they doing?

Uh, it'll be hard to piece it all together with just this.

If we could only find the rest, maybe we'll be able to understand a little more...

All right... Now that we know they go together, let's try to find all the pieces!

Do you really think we can...? Well, as long as we're already out investigating, it doesn't matter...

A Roten Blitz? Is that the same thing that goes into your gauntlet, Logy?

Yeah, looks a lot like it... I guess my gauntlet design is based on some really old designs. Come on, let's get some food.

Do you think she's in a meeting again? She'll probably turn up eventually.

Excuse me. Is Ms. Quinn here?

Oh, hi, Micie. It looks like Marion is out right now.

I see... Well, I shall try my luck again later.

If it's something really simple, we could probably answer your question.

I just wanted to confirm... Has Ms. Quinn been taking breaks regularly?

Huh!? That seems like a sudden thing to ask...

The reason I ask is because her requests for overtime and all-nighters have increased of late. If I am to believe all these requests, then Ms. Quinn has not returned home for quite some time.

I wonder... But you're right. I haven't seen Ms. Marion leave the branch for some time now.

Don't tell me she's been living in the office! ...That sounds like something she might actually do.

O-Oh, welcome back, Ms. Marion!

It's good to be back! Wait, what are you guys all doing in here?

Miss Quinn, I have a simple question for you.

What's up, Micie? Is this part of your inspection duties?

Yes, well... I just wanted to confirm if you have been returning home at some point lately?

What are you talking about? Of course I have! Why are you even asking me that!?

According to the paperwork, it would appear that you've been working for entire days straight.

It appears that there has been a mistake in your documentation. I suggest you correct this error.

Sorry, I was spending nights in the office. I must have turned in the application by accident.

Whew, you scared me, Ms. Marion! I thought you might've actually been staying in the office this long...

You must be joking... Do I really look like I'd do that?

Yes, I wouldn't dismiss the probability.

This may be strange coming from me, but I believe you work too hard, Miss Quinn. I respect your dedication to your career, but there is no need to bury yourself in it. You ought to cherish your own time a little more, in the future.

E-E-Even a little child is worried about me!? You all think I work that much!?

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen you not working, Ms. Marion...

That is what my mentor taught me. I feel this adage may suit you well.

Gwah! Why do I feel like I was just stabbed through the heart...? Maybe I do need a change of pace.

That might not be a bad idea... In fact, if you want us to help you, we'd be happy to.

Welco--Oh, hey, long time no see.

I thought it would be a nice change of pace to enjoy a spirit or two.

Now that's something you don't see every day. You know the sun's still out, right? Hang on a sec.

It's good she's so dedicated, but--

Hello, Mr. Duke! ...Huh!? M-Mr. Grumman!?

Um... Are you drinking, by any chance?

Is there a problem with me drinking?

No, that's not what I meant, but...

We've just never seen you drinking before, so it was just a little unexpected.

I see. Well, I've cut back quite a bit, but I can see your point.

You used to get plastered back in the day. Remember that one time you danced naked? Right? Yeah? Hahaha!

Wha---!? H-Hey, stop that... What the hell are you talking about?

What, you don't remember? Back when we were in the service, we used to party all night long!

H-Huuuh!? Y-You mean you were naked...all night?

I didn't expect you to have such a dark history... (Guess he wasn't always to straight-laced...)

Wait! You're misunderstanding this. It's not like I wanted to... This guy wouldn't stop pouring drinks.

And, with all that liquid courage, you got up to... Oh, yeah, you ended up going home with a girl--

That's enough out of you, Duke!

Hey, I'm still active. I won't be badmouthed by someone who quit the branch a long time ago.

Yeah, I'm sure all that sitting behind your desk has kept you fit. I'm still in my prime, friend.

Your mouth's getting a lot of exercise, but time treats us all equally. Even a jock like you.

Heh, now you've said it... We're the same age, you old fart.

Hey, uh, maybe we should all stop fighting...

If he'd just shut up, I'd be happy to let this rest.

Heh heh, it must be tough bein- the big boss man. You can't even brag about your old exploits.

What "exploits"? Those are shameful episodes of my past. Why don't you finally start acting your age?

Yeah, right. If you ask me, you still haven't changed from back then. Hah. You'd call me a womanizer, while you cheated on your wife with that girl from the office...

Eeek! Th-That's horrible! How could you, Mr. Grumman!

I was just teaching the new kid how to do her work! Do you have any idea how angry my wife was because of your foolish need to act childishly!?

Oh? Is that so...? It must suck getting old. Hahaha!

Heh, you really must have a death wish today.

Wh-Wh-Whoa! ...This is getting out of control! P-Please, stop, both of you! Logy, do something!

Those guys would tear me apart if I tried to get in-between them! I'm more scared of these two than I was fighting that giant slag.

Is that all you got!? C'mon, old man... Don't push yourself too hard, now!

And what about you? Don't even try to use those old scars as an excuse for when I kick your rear end.

Wha...!?

Grrrrrrrrrrr...!

P-Please stop this! Both of you...! Somebody...!

Let's just get out of here and come back in a few hours...

Oh, you seem happy. Did something happen?

Yes! I received some freshly harvested apples, so I tried making jam out of them. I just finished, so I wanted to try it right away.

That sounds nice. Can I try some later?

Of course. But I don't have enough bread...

So this is the jam... Let me have a taste...

Logy!

Wait! Did you eat it, Logy!?

Huh? It's pretty good. There's plenty of fruitiness, and the texture is good...

That was my last piece of bread...!

What, really!?

Oh... You should have told me!

No! Now the jam's going to get cold!

Logy! Don't eat other people's food without asking! Once jam cools, that freshly made flavor never comes back!

I-I'm sorry. That really was thoughtless of me...

No, it's fine... I'll just eat some later...

Logy, don't you think you should take responsibility for this?

I do feel bad about it, but what do you mean about "taking responsibility"?

No, really, it's okay. Escha, I'll just have some later.

What? Um... Then I would be happy if you went to buy some bread...

That's it? Bread? I'll go get some now, so just wait here!

He just took off... ...I was just kidding, but he really went. What should we do?

Ahaha... Well, there's no hard feelings about it.

Hmm...he really ran to Duke's. Hopefully I can catch up with him.

Hi, Wilbell. It's strange to see you here.

The place seems a little livelier than usual.

Well, I really whipped up the crowd. If you got here sooner, you'd have seen my Magic Show.

A magic show? That sounds fun! What did you do?

I wanted to ask her how she did it, too. What's your secret? Creating fire from thin air, hovering on a broom, spinning plates around in the air...

That sounds amazing. I would have liked to see that.

Sorry, it's a trade secret, so I can't really talk about it. Anyway, I'd like to do magic shows here once in a while until people start catching on. Is that okay?

Oh, of course! I'd always welcome things that entertain my customers. I'll start paying you next time. Tell you what, tonight I'll give you a free meal.

All right! Thanks, old man! You sure are generous!

Hahaha! I'm looking forward to it! You two should come watch next time. It was a really amazing show.

If we get the chance, we'll definitely come see it!

It's good you were such a big hit. So you know how to do more than just use magic for tricks?

Heh, well, I actually did use magic.

What...? So you...

Of course! There's no way I could do crazy stuff like that without magic. People are always surprised when they see that stuff, and I make a little money that way, too.

Isn't using real magic harder than doing tricks...? Also, it isn't good to lie to people and say that your real magic is just fake.

Don't say that. I'm not lying, anyway! It's a MAGIC show, right? Just because nobody really believes it doesn't mean I'm lying to them.

Oh... So you're doing a magic show with real magic... I guess that's more honest than doing tricks...

She's smart, but also a little too calculating. Well, do you want to get something, Escha?

Hmm, no...I'm not that hungry. Oh! Did you get some bread for Nio, Logy?

Oh, yeah, I did. Sorry about all that. Can we go and give it to her? I wanted to apologize, too.

She's not mad about it, but she does really want that jam.

Hey there, old fart. You come to settle what we started last time?

I'll pass... I don't need any more sore muscles for a while.

Hah hah hah! I was actually pretty roughed up after that, too. Why don't you just enjoy yourself?

Mm...

How's everything over at the branch? Same as back then, I suppose?

Business as usual...save for the young guns overexerting themselves.

Hah, it's their right to be reckless. That's what youth is all about. How could you forget that?

I suppose that's true... Hahahahaha! How's the bar? I remember when you just started learning how to cook. It was a disaster.

I've learned a thing or two, no thanks to you.

Heh, I see. You know, you're welcome back anytime, right?

Please, let me rest. Leave it up to the youngins.

Really? It would actually take a lot of pressure off of me if I could leave some of them to you.

Hey, this isn't like you... I'm not giving you any free drinks, you know.

...I guess you're not that easy, eh?

Heh, like I'd be fooled by your cheap tricks. If you're seriously in need, though...let me know.

Yeah... If I really need you.

Y-You're not going to start fighting again, are you?

Hey, kids... It's not like all we do is fight all year long, y'know? I'm actually in a good mood today. You kids order whatever you want. It's on your boss's tab! Ha!

H-Hey...! Well, why not. Order what you want, kids.

A-Are you sure...? Because we will...

This is flattering, but.. Are you sure it's all right?

Of course it is... Hm, how about in exchange, you listen to one of my old stories?

Oh! I'd actually like to hear one! Tell me, how long have the two of you known each other?

Let's see... It'd be pretty long if I started at the beginning.

Get something in your stomachs first. What do you guys want?

Yes, let's see... Perhaps something a little lighter.

Oh, that's right! You put a new item on the menu, right? I think I want to try that...

What!? A course...? Sheesh, why don't you think about my poor wallet once in a while...

Ugh... That was too much eating, Logy. It's a good thing we go out on investigations so often. If we didn't, both of us would get a lot fatter...

Really? That didn't seem like that much to me... Anyway, there's still a lot left. Why don't you head back to the atelier and start working on that Roten Blitz? I want to see what kind of power it has.

*Burp* All right... See you later.

Hey, Lucille. Do you have business with Linca?

Not especially, but... Aren't you a little worried about her?

I suppose I am... Maybe we should talk to her. What's wrong, Linca? You're sighing pretty hard.

I had been given a mission from Marion that I'd give up on due to its difficulty. I thought the time limit for it had expired, but... She just told me the mission has no time limit. I've been assigned to me for a long time, but I'm so far from my quota... I may be forced to do it.

...You have a quota? Is this some kind of monster-slaying mission?

If it were something like that, I could do it easily, but this is something far more difficult.

Um, so what exactly is it that you need to do?

...Friends?

Even counting Marion, and the people I know from the previous town, I still don't have enough. There's no sign that I can increase that number by talking to people around Colseit. I've got some money that I've saved up... I wonder if I could use some of it to buy more friends...

No way! You can't do that!

Yeah! It's never a good thing to pay for friends!

Don't worry. Marion already told me that I shouldn't do that. How am I going to make more friends, though? There must be something I can do. I'm prepared to do absolutely anything to make more friends!

I don't think you need to be that determined. Well, would you like to be my friend?

I'll be your friend, too!

You'll both become my friends? That's very reassuring! But is it appropriate for a superior to be friends with a subordinate in the workplace?

It's fine. Let's get along even better as friends, Linca!

Thank you... I'm very happy I could make two friends in a single day... I finally have some hope for completing my quota. I'll do my best!

(We said we'd be her friends to help her out, but Linca looks really serious about it. I can't help but feel like this isn't really what Marion wants Linca to do, though... But I wonder why Linca looks so calm fighting monsters, and seems so nervous when talking to other people...)

Hey Escha, what are you reading?

Oh, Logy, you're back. I got a book from Nio on how to make that delicious jam in case we wanted to make more. I was just reading to make sure the ingredients are right for making jam in a cauldron...

You take this really seriously...

Of course! Anyway, I was just waiting to get started on making your Roten Blitz.

This should be good, and...

It's done!

Looks great. Hm, that's a lot of fire to concentrate in a single cataylst. Hopefully this will make investigations a bit easier.

Is that a slag?

Yeah, it was in that book. It's made entirely of slag parts, so I made it so that it can summon slags by using it. I can't wait to try it out!

Hey Escha, I've noticed a lot of recipes in that book use Magical Paint. We should have the homunculi duplicate those, because we'll probably need a lot of them. Oh, and on the way back from Duke's, I stopped by Katla's shop and bought a new recipe book. It had some interesting stuff in it.

The people of the past sure came up with some strange alchemy. I would never have thought of having magical musical sounds protect people.

Hmm...apparently people from the past used liquids like this in slag syntheses. It's not toxic to people, but...it can really hurt if you drink too much of it.

Why did you make it, then?

Well, it makes you really peppy! So energetic and fast that it should help in battles with really powerful monsters. The book is kinda hard to read, so it makes telling exactly what it will do really hard to find out.

Well, I guess we'll just have to see it for ourselves. You sure you made it right?

Of course!

More magical items. I wonder if Wilbell could tell us more about how these things work. I don't really understand magic at all.

Hey Logy, Linca told me she has a job to hunt down some really dangerous slags in the desert. We need to fight more monsters to complete the last request of the assignment, so...

Yeah. I'm ready to go. I don't like going back to that desert, though...

Wild one

Here they come!

This could be pretty tough...

I can see why Linca can handle requests like these herself...

All right, I'm ready to go!

Man, these things are a lot tougher than I thought.

Thanks, Lucille!

Whew, that was close. But I can keep fighting!

Whew...we finally got it. That was a lot harder than I thought. It's a good thing we had so many items, or we might have run into a lot of trouble there.

But, we did get some good experience for the future. That was a very dangerous opponent. Anyway, we should head back and turn in our report so Marion knows what we've been doing for the past two months.

Another assignment is done! R&D's reputation has improved a lot, and we got some new recipe books for weapons and a new kind of bomb!

Let's see... Slay a Scorching Drake in the mountain atelier, deliver lumber to the Maintenance Division, deliver slag parts to an official in town, deliver medicine to a sick woman in the Plaza, deliver 5 pieces of armor to some adventurers, create four resistance properties on armor, synthesize some Beast Earmuffs, use the Music Box in battle, and...

Re-take the Homunculus Village!? Logy, we have to do that now!

You just want to go back there. Anyway, I did want to ask: what does it mean to "Create resistance properties?"

Hm...oh that? Oh! I bet it's putting resistance properties on any kind of equipment, like Resist Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind...we should make sure to check the journal of the materials we've found so far so we know what materials have what properties.

Oh, that's it...yeah, that's a good idea. (Escha is pretty sharp when it comes to alchemy.) Anyway, we should take this document to Solle and have approve our stipend by tomorrow. Want to come with me?

Sure!

Perhaps I should go check on them... I can't imagine that they would miss out on their pay.

Hello, Lucille. Do you need something?

I was on my break... Say, do you want to talk about something? There's a lot on my mind...

Talk? Okay. What do you want to talk?

Umm, let's see... How about the investigation we went on not too long ago?

And then, Mr. Awin punched the monster in the face, like "Pow!"

POW!

Cool. Then what?

Hm? Is that...?

And in the end, Ms. Escha and Mr. Logy smashed it to bits, and we moved on...

What then, what then...?

...A-And, I think we should save the rest for next time, perhaps. I need to get back to work...

Noooooo!

We'll talk again soon, okay?

What are you guys doing, ditching work like this? I have your pay. Right here.

Pay... No, we want story!

Pay later. Story now!

(Mmph...) Yesh... What ish it?

Wh-Why are you stuffing your face with snacks...?

Well... I had a lot of them, you see.

U-Umm...the document...?

(Slurp) Pleash come back later.

Uh... Are you mad at us?

N-No... I'm not angry.

He's definitely upset... Wh-What should we do?

I have what happened... But we should probably wait a while until he calms down...

And they go chasing that little child... Absolutely unbelievable...

Hey Escha, I'm going to go take a nap. I'm kind of tired from that last investigation, and I want to be around for when Solle calms down and he can look over our request and approve. Plus, it can't hurt to check it again and make sure there are no mistakes.

Oh, okay! I was thinking of getting some alchemy supplies. I still have a lot I need to work on.

Enjoy life

Before I started working for the branch, on days like this I'd eat apples and roll in the grass... That's right! I should take a day off from work and go visit the apple orchard! I wonder if Clone is making something today.

Music: Ringo no Negoto ~Ring on one, go to...

Oh, it's Mr. Reyfer. I guess he's really tired, too.

Oh! Some delicious snacks! I'm so lucky!

It's delicious...

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 10, 2014

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You're missing an italics tag sometime after the second battle video.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's a weird boss music. What are those lyrics about anyway?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

You're missing an italics tag sometime after the second battle video.

It's been fixed, thanks.

Anyhow, that "Create resistance properties" request is really poorly worded, and I can't be the only one who had no idea how to do that my first playthrough. What it really wants you to do is just put Fire Resist, Water Resist, Earth Resist, and Wind Resist on any four items you want, even if it's like a synthesis material or something that otherwise is not equipment, though equipment certainly qualifies. For example, the way I completed it was putting a Wind Resist trait (which I could only find on Wind Cores) on a throwaway Dowsing Rod, even though a Dowsing Rod is an adventure item and its only use is to find better relics in the field.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So does your use of Eschalogy to refer to the game have anything to do with eschatology? I'm assuming that's why the main characters were given their names, and the setting of the story?

Also

quote:

(We said we'd be her friends to help her out, but Linca looks really about it. I can't help but feel like this isn't really what Marion wants Linca to do, though... But I wonder why Linca looks so calm fighting monsters, and seems so nervous when talking to other people...)
needs a word put in.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Roro posted:

So does your use of Eschalogy to refer to the game have anything to do with eschatology? I'm assuming that's why the main characters were given their names, and the setting of the story?

"Escha and Logy" in Japanese is "Escha to Logy," I believe. So it is a direct reference.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Roro posted:

No need to spoil it, he says it in the opening post.

Sylphid posted:

In this world, humanity finds itself on the edge of another civilization-ending catastrophe, another Dusk. Indeed, the names of the title characters are taken directly from a branch of theology called Eschatology, which concerns itself with the end of ages, eras, and / or histories.

P.S. you should read the opening post. :v:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Captain Bravo posted:

No need to spoil it, he says it in the opening post.

P.S. you should read the opening post. :v:

In my defence, my memory is terrible and I'm ashamed of it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
By the way, after I'm done with the next update (should be in about 24 hours. The script is all done and I'm moving on to taking the screenshots, but I have to go to bed soon and I have work in the morning), I'm going to work on a big OOC mechanics post, explaining just how the mechanics in alchemy, battle, and other stuff work, just so everyone knows how things are working behind the scenes. There's not *that* much to talk about, since this game's mechanics are fairly more self-evident than Ayesha's mechanics, especially when it comes to alchemy, but it should help if you keep what I talk about in mind when you're watching videos or reading the updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I noticed a spelling error. Just ctrl F "htem" and you'll find it.

• Locked thread