Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Here's why Jordi Chin is better than Aiden Pearce: Aiden Pearce is cool but rude, but Jordi Chin is a party dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So is the Grenade launcher on the first mission something you can always get or is it random and you got the jackpot. Because Grenade launchers are the best

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
You can buy every weapon immediately. As to whether or not the grenade launcher is always on sale during the first mission, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it is always on sale. The game gives you a lot of weapons so you really don't need to visit the gun store at all.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
HACKING HACK HACK HACK-A-HACK

The way they mystify digitization is so bad. "EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED MONEY ALL MINE YES BITCOIN I AM WIZARD"

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 5, 2014

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The Heavenator posted:

You can buy every weapon immediately. As to whether or not the grenade launcher is always on sale during the first mission, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it is always on sale. The game gives you a lot of weapons so you really don't need to visit the gun store at all.

But... grenade launcher!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Heavenator posted:

There are a few weapons you have to unlock, but only a couple of them are worth having. You can be armed to the teeth within minutes as he shows though so it's not really a problem. This isn't like GTA where you covet a good weapon highly and pray you never get busted because you can only buy a lovely pistol or Uzi.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The fact that you can take out an enemy base entirely through hacking is such a good idea. The fact that you can take out an enemy base entirely through the use of a grenade launcher is such a bad idea. Two videos in, and I can already say this game would be more interesting if it limited firearms. Aiden, since he's trying to be a new kind of superhero, relying solely on hacking would give the game more dynamic. The game would be less of a clone of another game.

This was touched on in the video, but Aiden's design is bad. Not because any specific part of it doesn't make sense, or because he blends into the background. No, it is bad because it looks too good, and he stands out too much. He's not going to be inconspicuous at anytime. His mask isn't going to fool anyone. The developers obviously tried making Aiden into a more modern superhero, and his wardrobe reflects that. His mask has his symbol. His baseball cap has his symbol. His leather jacket has his symbol. One look at him and he is instantly recognizable as the protagonist of the game, even for the people on the street. Players could see that triangular symbol and associate it with Aiden. This itself isn't bad, but it doesn't fit with the world of the game. Aiden had to have bought all of his clothes, which means that they would be accessible to everyone else in the game world, which means that the player should see NPCs following a fashion trend. I only saw/noticed one NPC that wore a jacket similar to Aiden's, and that was plain white with a standard front, unlike Aiden's that seems to button at the collar and falls at an angle instead of straight down. If more NPCs wear jackets like Aiden's or if the symbol becomes a brand logo a lot of these problems will be fixed. Until then, Aiden is constantly dressed in costume, sometime revealing his true identity to everyone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fairly sure Ubisoft does this so they can sell affiliated merchandise (worked with AssCreed). The fact that it kills any immersion that remained after the terrible artifacting and the protagonist's perpetual cold is obviously secondary.
I'll second that the part where you remotely detonate grenades and drop boxes at people by camera looks fairly fun. Makes me wish they'd expand the whole Rube Goldberg machine of death concept instead of throwing in mechanics simply for the sake of them being there.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure Ubisoft does this so they can sell affiliated merchandise (worked with AssCreed).

Yep. For just $1 200 you too can own Aiden's jacket.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Now I too can be like my favorite superhero, just as soon as I finish these 300 cigarettes.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I don't really feel Aiden as being anything but a total monster so far. I mean you just straight-up went in and murdered like a dozen guys. Yeah, the news broadcast was trying real hard to sell them as 'evil mercenaries', but the counter-argument the government rep made about 'Yeah, they were soldiers, and now they're working in private security, how does that make them evil?' was pretty solid. And yeah, they were spying on everybody in the city, but I can sort of understand why they felt they needed that level of surveillance to deal with people like Aiden running around doing whatever the gently caress they want. While that doesn't make it right, there probably are better ways to deal with that kind of government overreach than by proving them entirely right by going in and murdering everybody who works at these sites with a grenade launcher.

And yeah, I'm sure they'll turn out to be the big bad in the end and doing a big evil thing that 'only you can stop', but that doesn't justify your actions at this stage. Yeah, if you go around killing every person you see, I'm sure some of them will turn out to have deserved it, but that's entirely incidental to the killing spree you just went on.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

The Heavenator posted:

Yep. For just $1 200 you too can own Aiden's jacket.

This is worse than the $100 Delsin jacket in so many ways.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

This is worse than the $100 Delsin jacket in so many ways.
About 1,100 ways, I'd say.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Valentin posted:

If, like the makers of this game, you come from an alternate universe in which the Mag Mile and the Loop are the only notable things on the Chicago islands, you'll love this.

Most media seems to think that Chicago is only downtown and some trendy neighborhoods on the northside while the southside and westside goes unnoticed unless it's some news report on the gangwars and shootings. Only current TV show I can think of right now that even does the southside is Shameless on Showtime which is a fun watch since am a southsider.

bman in 2288 posted:

Also, everything looks way too clean for Chicago. It's super off-putting. And there are some places I don't even recognize, though I can chalk it up to design choices and me not having been in Chicago for a while.

Yeah downtown is clean for the most part but not this clean, also one thing they are missing is the homeless people around downtown.

Oh yeah I also notice they also seem to combine Solider Field (Where the Bears play on the lakefront) with this Wrigley Field since I think I noticed some Roman columns on the stadium as you guys were passing by.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Watch_Dogs's Chicago: it's not horrible enough!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm pretty sure I was able to turn off the online part of the game. There was a notice that it would reset my notoriety but I'm reasonably certain I turned it off before I quit playing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Not to mention the guy making the crank calls (who was basically just a patsy, and actually just making crank calls) was just straight up murdered in broad daylight. Not roughed up or questioned or something, straight out murdered. That escalated to murder pretty quick!

I suspect that'll be a running theme.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well you can straight up murder him like was in the video or you can knock him out with your TACTICAL BATON. But nothing changes since that dude disappears from the story regardless.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As is the way of all lethal/nonlethal systems these days, I suppose.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Night10194 posted:

As is the way of all lethal/nonlethal systems these days, I suppose.

Is the baton actually nonlethal? Because I haven't seen anything about it that makes it seem any less dangerous than, say, a metal pipe, and Adien certainly isn't using it in a 'nonlethal' way. His favorite trick seems to be cracking the side of someone's knee to drop them down, and then hitting them on the back of the neck, right at the base of the skull.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

Is the baton actually nonlethal? Because I haven't seen anything about it that makes it seem any less dangerous than, say, a metal pipe, and Adien certainly isn't using it in a 'nonlethal' way. His favorite trick seems to be cracking the side of someone's knee to drop them down, and then hitting them on the back of the neck, right at the base of the skull.

It counts as nonlethal, yes. You can also shoot them in the legs which gets you "neutralized" exp instead of "killed" exp.

And to be fair, that comment can be directed toward any game with lethal/nonlethal mechanics.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

It counts as nonlethal, yes. You can also shoot them in the legs which geys you "neutralized" exp instead of "killed" exp.

And to be fair, that comment can be directed toward any game with lethal/nonlethal mechanics.

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of Assassin's Creed, where one of the unarmed takedown animations has you grab the guy by the head and very clearly break his neck, and then he falls to the ground and wiggles around during the 'I'm hurt' animation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SSNeoman posted:

It counts as nonlethal, yes. You can also shoot them in the legs which gets you "neutralized" exp instead of "killed" exp.

Yeah, the real secret is that if you do enough damage to knock someone unconscious for more than a few seconds, then you've probably caused massive brain damage at the very least.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

The thing is that the game itself can't decide if your Baton of Bludgeoning +1 is a lethal or nonlethal weapon. In some missions there is some guy it is specified you have to knock out for some reason, but more on that in a later video, so you have to use you baton. In other missions it tells you to kill people, and you can use the baton on them and it counts as a kill. It uses the same animation in either case.

In short, gently caress off Ubisoft.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I consider as the gold standard of non-lethal gameplay a game called "Robin Hood: The Legend Of Sherwood", which supplies you, or, to be precise, your minions, with an infinite supply of rope. (That's as far as the games I've played. Your mileage may vary.)

And in this game Aiden could simply activate a short-range WiFi connection to an enemy's trousers to make them stick together and prevent movement. :v:

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 5, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

supermikhail posted:

I consider as the gold standard of non-lethal gameplay a game called "Robin Hood: The Legend Of Sherwood", which supplies you, or, to be precise, your minions, with an infinite supply of rope. (That's as far as the games I've played. Your mileage may vary.)

I always thought the best non-lethal takedowns were in the Batman: Arkham Noun series. Where in most cases you could tell that A: the takedowns were nonlethal, and B: the target was still going to stay down for a while.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes, they're alive. No, they're probably not going to be walking for a few years.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I am sad that for a game this magical about hacking set in Chigago, they probably won't let you break into the field museum, hack Sue, and stomp her around the streets.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Heavenator posted:

Remember Me is interesting to compare to Watch_Dogs in that it has serval similar elements but it does them much better. Also I totally will being LPing Remember Me sometime in the future.

Well that's something I can't wait for. I love that game.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Another annoyance I had with the game was the goddamn vibrating sound your phone makes whenever receiving a call from someone. Might be just me, but god, is that just one of the most annoying sounds to hear when playing the game. You can't even change it, either.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I am sad that for a game this magical about hacking set in Chigago, they probably won't let you break into the field museum, hack Sue, and stomp her around the streets.

Read the "Dresden Files" novel Dead Beat.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Who the hell goes to a kid's birthday party dressed as a hobo?

And with no present, I might add.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Okay guys, okay, I'd just like to settle one thing, get one thing straight here, alright? Now, I checked the Saints Row wiki and in Saints Row 2 there's two weapons you have to unlock via missions, and those are the Mini-Gun and the Pimp Cane which doubles as a kickass shotgun. Every other gun can either be bought with ingame money, or is unlocked by beating side activities. Well, except one, the assault rifle with a grenade launcher requires you to get every single combat trick, which includes shooting someone in their crotch.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, but I bet it costs more money for the good ones then what you can get early game, and the other good ones are probably locked behind said side activities. Its not a matter of the grenade launcher being buyable so early, but that it was so cheap he could buy it right away, literally the first thing he bought.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Heavenator posted:

The thing is that the game itself can't decide if your Baton of Bludgeoning +1 is a lethal or nonlethal weapon. In some missions there is some guy it is specified you have to knock out for some reason, but more on that in a later video, so you have to use you baton. In other missions it tells you to kill people, and you can use the baton on them and it counts as a kill. It uses the same animation in either case.
More that they've redefined "kill" to include knockouts. If WD specifies you have to knock down a guy, you may not kill him, but if WD specifies killing you may use the baton takedown. Sometimes it's just easier since you can hold the takedown button while at a full run at someone and it'll automatically jack them up when you get in range.

If anything they hosed up by not explaining the baton better and that you can use it to satisfy both objectives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sleeping Dogs has spoiled me on these sorts of games because it used guns relatively rarely. With focusing on hand-to-hand combat things felt very visceral, particularly with the environment takedowns. Is there anyone who didn't cry out in sympathy the first (or tenth) time Wei Shen stomped on a guy's knee? You don't get that feeling with a grenade launcher.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
And of course, when you DID get a grenade launcher in the late game (you get it for two missions, I think the fourth and third to last) it was like being a wind of destruction and it was beautiful; all the enemies hid behind really explosive cars. I love that game so much :allears:

Basically if you have the choice between dogs, go for sleeping. They're even re-releasing it on ps4 and I think Xbone, you have no excuse.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

geri_khan posted:

Who the hell goes to a kid's birthday party dressed as a hobo?

And with no present, I might add.

No amount of hacking in the world could beat "The Healer" though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ManlyGrunting posted:

And of course, when you DID get a grenade launcher in the late game (you get it for two missions, I think the fourth and third to last) it was like being a wind of destruction and it was beautiful; all the enemies hid behind really explosive cars. I love that game so much :allears:

Basically if you have the choice between dogs, go for sleeping. They're even re-releasing it on ps4 and I think Xbone, you have no excuse.

Well, if you have a friend or two and want a fun hide and seek multiplayer game, Watch Dogs is superb. Since they've added the ability to specifically invade friends, I've lost quite a few hours to it. Go for Sleeping Dogs for a fantastic open world game, grab Watch Dogs for the funniest multiplayer shenanigans involving the taco truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bruceski posted:

Sleeping Dogs has spoiled me on these sorts of games because it used guns relatively rarely. With focusing on hand-to-hand combat things felt very visceral, particularly with the environment takedowns. Is there anyone who didn't cry out in sympathy the first (or tenth) time Wei Shen stomped on a guy's knee? You don't get that feeling with a grenade launcher.

I got confused for a minute because I thought you were talking about this game. I keep getting those two confused.

• Locked thread