Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynda
Nov 6, 2014

DumbRodent posted:

Voting's done. Ripper wins! Thanks for voting, everyone!

Good to hear, looking forward to the next part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Life things have gotten a little hectic, so the next video will take just a bit longer than I'd hoped. Here's hoping for sometime this upcoming week! Sorry for the delay!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

I might be a bit rusty with this one. :v:

The LP is in kind of a limbo state for a couple reasons. We'll see what happens!

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 10, 2015

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Just so you know Rodent, I am looking forward to whenever you have time and/or energy to continue this LP. It's great.

Tleilaxu
Oct 7, 2010

Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood. For They are strong and angry, jealous Ones.
I just found this LP. DS1 is one of my favorite games and you're doing a great job showing it off. I look forward to when you can update.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yeah, thirding the above! I like chill lps and your occasional touristy stop and stare at interesting things.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Break over! Most likely. I'm really sorry for being so absent lately. Hopefully I can start putting videos out at least as consistently as I did with Outlast.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I swear that the noise of you putting in the power nodes in the upgrade screen is the same one Final Fantasy 10 used for its sphere grid.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Dead Space can have great set pieces, but that skull at 2 minutes is so cheesy. But the windows into space definitely makes up for that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love one of the tiny details in the audio logs this chapter. When the bridge is under siege, they yell something about bullets just passing through the enemies instead of killing them. I was wondering why Isaac only used construction tools throughout the whole game when there had to be super good weapons in the armory on all of those corpses, but that's a nice reason besides "these look so loving cool"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I did not think you could actually get past that flailing' sparking conduit, even with statsis on. Perspective tricks!

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'm glad this is back! I love the DumbRodent special brand of horror LP.

That scream in the elevator was... really misplaced. I dunno, it felt really cheap. :shrug:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Maybe if there was at least some kind of payoff, no matter how minor or subtle. A scrawl on the wall interrupted mid-word, a fresh splat of blood next to a corpse.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

placid saviour posted:

I'm glad this is back! I love the DumbRodent special brand of horror LP.

Seconded. I very, very seldom watch video LPs, but I make time for these.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Last week's video on the left, brand new one on the right!

Quick correction for the last video- I referred to the ADS as the 'Automated Defense System.' It actually stands for 'Asteroid Defense System.' So, uh, yeah.

:siren:Time for another vote!:siren: Quite a few weapon schematics gathering dust in the store, now. Voting ends in 72 hours.

The C99 Supercollider Contact Beam is a very heavy-duty mining tool used to decimate large rocks to get at the minerals inside. It's surprising any minerals are left after this thing is used on it. Not much in the way of slicing capacity, and it does require a brief charge to use its primary fire. Alternate fire uses the Contact Beam in a method not approved or condoned by Concordance Extraction- slamming the projection tip against the floor to create a shockwave. Please remember that this risks damaging the projection tip, disrupting nearby gravity devices, or liquefying inexperienced users.
The Contact Beam costs 9,000 Credits to purchase.

The SWS Motorized Pulse Rifle is a standard-issue automatic weapon for all Ishimura security personnel. Bullets are affordable and in abundance around the ship, but do not have much punch on their own. The secondary fire sprays a small peppering of bullets in a full 360-degree radius from the user when the gun is held vertically.
The Pulse Rifle costs 7,000 Credits to purchase.

The Handheld Graviton Accelerator, affectionately known as the Force Gun, is a handheld short-range terraforming device. It uses a conical burst of kinetic energy to shatter rocks, blast away debris from a work area, or, when used together carefully with CEC-distributed Kinesis Modules, to quickly move large objects across zero-gravity environments. Very powerful, very short-range, and with a pretty stiff gap between shots and a clunky method of battery replacement. Alternate fire launches a timed kinetic grenade useful for clearing out hazardous areas of dangerous or toxic debris.
The Force Gun costs 11,000 Credits to purchase.

The PFM-100 Hydrazine Torch Flamethrower shoots fire and also fireballs sometimes. It is very useful when applied to groups of small, fragile enemies, and with smart optimization of its fuel usage can become extraordinarily deadly. Not that the CEC condones the use of the Hydrazine Torch Flamethrower as any form of self-defense. That would be inhuman. Please keep the comfort of your fellow workers in mind.
The Flamethrower costs 11,000 Credits to purchase.

Or, we can

Put off the vote until the next chapter, focus on the weapons we already have. Only so many Credits to go around, and who knows what we might need them for?

Wedemeyer posted:

Dead Space can have great set pieces, but that skull at 2 minutes is so cheesy. But the windows into space definitely makes up for that.

There aren't too many blatant, Outlast-brand 'jump scares' in Dead Space, so it does come off as a little out of place.

placid saviour posted:

That scream in the elevator was... really misplaced. I dunno, it felt really cheap. :shrug:

Vicissitude posted:

Maybe if there was at least some kind of payoff, no matter how minor or subtle. A scrawl on the wall interrupted mid-word, a fresh splat of blood next to a corpse.

Payoff would have been nice yeah, but there's an eerie emptiness in never finding the source of the scream, I think.

And thanks for the humbling input, excellent goons! You're all great. I'm glad folks stuck around through the break. :cheers:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

You're not alone - I also had huge problems with the asteroids minigame.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

DumbRodent posted:

:siren:Time for another vote!:siren: Quite a few weapon schematics gathering dust in the store, now. Voting ends in 72 hours.

The C99 Supercollider Contact Beam is a very heavy-duty mining tool used to decimate large rocks to get at the minerals inside. It's surprising any minerals are left after this thing is used on it. Not much in the way of slicing capacity, and it does require a brief charge to use its primary fire. Alternate fire uses the Contact Beam in a method not approved or condoned by Concordance Extraction- slamming the projection tip against the floor to create a shockwave. Please remember that this risks damaging the projection tip, disrupting nearby gravity devices, or liquefying inexperienced users.
The Contact Beam costs 9,000 Credits to purchase.

I wanted to vote for the flamethrower, but my cheapness translates to video games all too easily. Plus the Contact Beam look really cool.

I like how Isaac [well you, really] pauses after he's told to look out or he'll be torn to pieces by asteroids. Gee thanks buddy. If you stay behind a barrier for too long does it [and you] get destroyed by asteroids? And

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Contact beam is king.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Contact beam. We need our rocket launcher equivalent.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Contact Beam. It's slow, unwieldy, difficult to handle, but nothing tops the sheer catharsis of ripping a brute's arm off at the shoulder with one shot. Comparing it to a Rocket launcher or Sniper rifle is pretty apt, but to me, it will always look like a Radiator with Teeth.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Vote's up! Contact Beam it is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DumbRodent posted:

Vote's up! Contact Beam it is.

Just make sure you scream CONTAAAAAAACT BEEEEEEEEAM!!! every time you fire it. (Warning: Dead Space 2 spoilers in linked video)

Tleilaxu
Oct 7, 2010

Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood. For They are strong and angry, jealous Ones.
You did a great job with the mass driver ADS minigame. Even though I play with a controller on the computer, I switch to the mouse during that section because it's so much harder than it looks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love the Contact Beam because Visceral realized that waiting until the last chapter to give you the BFG was lame, so they were like "Screw it, we'll just dump it on em right in the middle, why not". It was a good move imo because nothing is more awesome than shooting a necromorph square in the torso and watching it explode into a T-pose starfish of limbs.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

nine-gear crow posted:

Just make sure you scream CONTAAAAAAACT BEEEEEEEEAM!!! every time you fire it. (Warning: Dead Space 2 spoilers in linked video)

Sadly I do not have a Kinect hooked up so the Contact Beam Exclusive Voice Recognition DLC Personality Pack has to go undemonstrated.
I'll be screaming in spirit though.

Tleilaxu posted:

You did a great job with the mass driver ADS minigame. Even though I play with a controller on the computer, I switch to the mouse during that section because it's so much harder than it looks.

It gave me no end of trouble the first few times I went through the game. :sigh: This run was pretty much luck manifest. Almost disappointed I didn't end up in the single-digits by the end. Much more tense.

CJacobs posted:

I love the Contact Beam because Visceral realized that waiting until the last chapter to give you the BFG was lame, so they were like "Screw it, we'll just dump it on em right in the middle, why not". It was a good move imo because nothing is more awesome than shooting a necromorph square in the torso and watching it explode into a T-pose starfish of limbs.

Yeah the Contact Beam is pretty fun. I actually don't usually make much use of it in the first Dead Space- same with... most of the weapons, since The Plasma Cutter Is The Best Gun- so it'll be a learning experience for me!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

DumbRodent posted:

Hopefully I can start putting videos out at least as consistently as I did with Outlast.

:v: yeah, um sorry

I've been having a lot of very frustrating technical issues and felt a bit weird about posting in the thread without actually having something to show for it. I know it's becoming a bit clownshoes but hey

I have been consistently working on the next video and though it's a bit rushed due to impatience the tech problems are pretty much fixed and it is nearly done, just has to be cut together knock on wood

I've started another, very casual playthrough of a simpler, goofier game that I don't have to worry much with the editing of, in order to deal with the audio and microphone problems I've been having without having to worry about nitpicky details. So it's there if you want to watch somebody try to convince you to buy Tales from the Borderlands!

Tleilaxu
Oct 7, 2010

Sorry to hear about the technical issues, but I'm glad to hear you're still working on updates.. I was worried no one would ever make us whole.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
[img]http://lpix.org/2135672/lurkbonuscap.PNG][/img]

Really glad this one's finally over and done with. Sorry again for the wait!

I'm not very good at scripts!

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 13, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yesss. I love your videos.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Tiny baby hands, patting at your face.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Always glad to see another episode of this up!

I have zero experience with anything Dead Space, so it's awesome to see just how freaky it is. They really got the atmosphere right in this one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This LP is really fantastic. Your delivery in particular is really well-affected.

A couple questions:

1. In chapter 4, what was the message at the end of the trail of blood arrows?

2. Do upgrades to weapons sick if you sell the weapon, then buy it again? Are they transferred across suit upgrades?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 18, 2015

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

2. Do upgrades to weapons sick if you sell the weapon, then buy it again? Are they transferred across suit upgrades?

Weapon upgrades are Not transferred, but you get half the cost of the weapon and any attached nodes; frankly, it's cheaper just to buy all 7 weapons and leave whichever 3 you're not using in storage.

RIG, Stasis, and Kinesis upgrades all carry over on suit upgrades, as the suit upgrades only affect inventory space, armour, and appearance.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Discendo Vox posted:

This LP is really fantastic. Your delivery in particular is really well-affected.

A couple questions:

1. In chapter 4, what was the message at the end of the trail of blood arrows?

Thanks a ton!
Sel Nar answered the question about upgrades perfectly.
Sorry if I'm just being slow, but where in the chapter did you mean? Lots of bloody graffiti around the Ishimura, I get it kind of mixed up sometimes.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
The next set of main Dead Space videos (and the bonus, hopefully) will be done in the next few days! Bit held off due to illness messing my voice up.

Still got commentary done for another chill Tales from the Borderlands video done though, if anyone's interested.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Nice short chapter. Still a little sick so my commentary sounds a bit gross. :sigh: Also I misremembered/heard a character's name; it's Challus, not Charles. Careless!

The SWS Motorized Pulse Rifle is a standard-issue automatic weapon for all Ishimura security personnel. Bullets are affordable and in abundance around the ship, but do not have much punch on their own. The secondary fire sprays a small peppering of bullets in a full 360-degree radius from the user when the gun is held vertically.
The Pulse Rifle costs 7,000 Credits to purchase.

The Handheld Graviton Accelerator, affectionately known as the Force Gun, is a handheld short-range terraforming device. It uses a conical burst of kinetic energy to shatter rocks, blast away debris from a work area, or, when used together carefully with CEC-distributed Kinesis Modules, to quickly move large objects across zero-gravity environments. Very powerful, very short-range, and with a pretty stiff gap between shots and a clunky method of battery replacement. Alternate fire launches a timed kinetic grenade useful for clearing out hazardous areas of dangerous or toxic debris.
The Force Gun costs 11,000 Credits to purchase.

The PFM-100 Hydrazine Torch Flamethrower shoots fire and also fireballs sometimes. It is very useful when applied to groups of small, fragile enemies, and with smart optimization of its fuel usage can become extraordinarily deadly. Not that the CEC condones the use of the Hydrazine Torch Flamethrower as any form of self-defense. That would be inhuman. Please keep the comfort of your fellow workers in mind.
The Flamethrower costs 11,000 Credits to purchase.

Voting ends in 72 hours!

No votes, haha. I'll choose randomly.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 28, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I loved the tiny visual fake-out at the beginning of the return to Medical, the light's shining behind a human body model so it looks like there's a guy there. And then you hear that whispering.

He must have put it there on purpose just to mess with you. His room isn't just a house of horrors, he's got, like, DRAPES hanging from the ceiling. In space!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

DumbRodent posted:

Sorry if I'm just being slow, but where in the chapter did you mean? Lots of bloody graffiti around the Ishimura, I get it kind of mixed up sometimes.

At the end of the bloody arrows and "this way"s, it first becomes visible at this point.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Discendo Vox posted:

At the end of the bloody arrows and "this way"s, it first becomes visible at this point.

Oh!

I see "take us, we are ready."

edit:

Speedball posted:

I loved the tiny visual fake-out at the beginning of the return to Medical, the light's shining behind a human body model so it looks like there's a guy there. And then you hear that whispering.

Forgot to mention but yeah I really like that set piece. Mercer is pretty fun to have around in general, I'm a big fan of his redecorating.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
No update but to apologize for my update schedule (or lack thereof) on this darn game I'll provide a helpful link to Kamoc and Friends' shiny new group commentary thread. If you want a less melodramatic, sillier take on this ridiculous game then it's for you! Geop included.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 14, 2015

• Locked thread