Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivethree
Jul 28, 2014
you're on your own when you adopt a random pit bull that could have been abused and may have behavioral issues. gently caress you and gently caress the horse you rode in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

RadioactiveKid posted:

I have two pit bulls and they are the best dogs

have some kids, thread needs more content and laughs

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i told my dog about gbs opinions on stuff and now he needs prozac

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

The one time you want your kid to be autistic

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
do people actually look at dogs faces and project some emotion onto it? they're fucknig dogs, they have dog faces and dog eyes. i cant look at a picture of some random dog and give a poo poo about it because i tricked myself into giving it an emotion

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

one of the biggest parts of not being a retard and training your dog is being able to read their emotions

like i can tell that dog is upset because my friend made him wear an eeyore costume. if you cant tell that youre probably pretty dumb actually.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

like canines have been living with us since we lived in caves and poo poo and have developed the ability to read and project emotions to get what they want pretty well. its science and poo poo.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Necros posted:

like canines have been living with us since we lived in caves and poo poo and have developed the ability to read and project emotions to get what they want pretty well. its science and poo poo.

autists can't read emotion in other people, asking them to read it from a dog is a bit much

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
Like of course you guys hate dogs. To properly train and raise a dog you need to naturally project confidence and strength

but just like the dogs themselves, most of you are straight up bitch made

naem
May 29, 2011

I love dogs and even pits are neato it's just that they are literally murdery, and you need to take that into very real account and most people are idiots

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

fivethree posted:

you're on your own when you adopt a random pit bull that could have been abused and may have behavioral issues. gently caress you and gently caress the horse you rode in on.

Apparently not, because they have a gofundme. Anyone who gives to this should be attacked by a pitbull.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

i used to think that but i learned in the last thread that even people who raise them as responsibly as possible still have to have rules like "never leave two pitbulls with each other unattended", "never leave a pit bull around other animals unattended" and "have a leash on the pit bull if they're around your golden retriever in the back yard"

That's the main thing. They're only threats to kids because of bad training, but most of them are threats to other dogs all the time.

If you're middle class and an anti social piece of trash you open carry an ar-15 and a revolver. If you're poor you get a pit bull.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Chihuahuas would probably be worse than pit bulls if the things didnt have the bite force of a soggy book. I swear the people who own those things think it's cute when they try to bite your finger off with their lovely little teeth

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

A Stupid Baby posted:

Chihuahuas would probably be worse than pit bulls if the things didnt have the bite force of a soggy book. I swear the people who own those things think it's cute when they try to bite your finger off with their lovely little teeth

Theyre the worst trained dogs of all, because people let them walk all over them and sleep in their beds. Your 2 pound dog thinks you're below it in your pack's hierarchy.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

A Stupid Baby posted:

They're legitimately one of the most aggressive breeds.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

A Stupid Baby posted:

Dachshunds are the shittiest loving dogs actually.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think the kid is pretty lucky, he gets to have his meth mouth right up front instead of having to wait until his 20s for it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Khanstant posted:

do people actually look at dogs faces and project some emotion onto it? they're fucknig dogs, they have dog faces and dog eyes. i cant look at a picture of some random dog and give a poo poo about it because i tricked myself into giving it an emotion

as a species, they've been forcibly evolved for thousands and thousands of years to coexist with and display affection towards humans so yes, it is kind of remotely possible that they actually do have some form of emotions we can relate to :shrug:

naem
May 29, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

as a species, they've been forcibly evolved for thousands and thousands of years to coexist with and display affection towards humans so yes, it is kind of remotely possible that they actually do have some form of emotions we can relate to :shrug:

They do but its all so that we hand them meat

Sweet sweet meat, nectar of the dogs

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The pitbull apologists always show up late. And drunk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I apologize for pitbulls everywhere for this dog's failure to actually kill his target, he will be sterilized and reprimanded

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Pit bulls are fine dogs and the only people who fear them are racist yuppies.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you got a pitbull as a puppy and the parents aren't aggressive then fine. But please gently caress off if you're adopting one. I've adopted two dogs in my life, both were completely nuts, and the signs didn't show until after I got them. I can only imagine what it'd be like if their outlet was to get aggressive and had the power to do damage like a pit. Luckily they just have some nervous quirks and get scared and pee easily.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Pitbulls are terriers, a terrier's natural drive is to chase something and bite the gently caress down on it.

a Pitbull is just a jack russel on actual steroids.

They're just as bad a family dog as a Shar-pei

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

naem posted:

I love dogs and even pits are neato it's just that they are literally murdery, and you need to take that into very real account and most people are idiots

the way i understand it is on average they have sound temperments and were culled like hell since back in the 1800s to eliminate any with aggression towards people. like animal baiting was made illegal and people started fighting them against each other and when you have two dogs that are determined to rip each other to shreds until their last breath the last thing you want is one turning on you and ripping your arm off when you try to break them up. thing is there are so many of them now and a shitload have been bred with different breeds which can affect their temperament. not saying a purebred wont eat your kid either. some dogs are just assholes and pit bulls have the tools to kill the poo poo out of you if they want. that and most of the owners are retards who shouldnt have dogs at all let alone murderdogs.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i have seen pit bills who seemed like really nice dogs with really nice owners

i have also seen a literal tiger who seemed like a really nice cat with a really nice owner

point being an animal that can kill you any time it wants can act nice for many years without any incident, but eventually tigers get hungry, and eventually pit bulls forget that the thing moving quickly is not prey, and that their 'playful bite strength' is enough to take off a hand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Whole Internet posted:

i have seen pit bills who seemed like really nice dogs with really nice owners

i have also seen a literal tiger who seemed like a really nice cat with a really nice owner

point being an animal that can kill you any time it wants can act nice for many years without any incident, but eventually tigers get hungry, and eventually pit bulls forget that the thing moving quickly is not prey, and that their 'playful bite strength' is enough to take off a hand.

never get a pet that you and a few of your friends couldn't easily kill.

This rule would have saved no face lady much heartache.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

The emotional centers of the brain evolved to their present configuration over 250 million years ago.
Anything with a brain larger than your pinky nail has the same emotional range you or I do.

For example, they wouldn't test antidepressents on rats if rats didn't get depressed.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Bring back bull baiting as a sport, that would probably fix the breed imo

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

platedlizard posted:

Bring back bull baiting as a sport, that would probably fix the breed imo

there are people who use them to hunt wild pigs. if i had a toddler id rather leave it around one of their dogs than some person who bought a pit bull to be cool and now leaves it chained up in their backyard everyday. i know pig guys dogs are at least a bit trained and have an outlet for their boredom/prey drive that isnt mauling neighborhood kids who wander into the yard.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
1) adopted from a friend, not from a shelter who's done all the necessary behavioural analysis and temperament training
2) left a young kid alone to play with a large, and by nature, aggressive dog.

why yes, that makes perfect sense. i truly did not see this happening. boy is my face red

the breed isn't the problem, the upbringing of it and the poor supervision of the parents generally cause these problems

I don't own a pitbull.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If you don't socialize a dog it may end up being violent. A pit bull is an exceptionally strong dog that is capable of doing some damage. However that doesn't mean they're more inclined towards that negative behavior more than any other breed.

The biggest issue is people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing and thinking they can adopt a pit bull that was abused and by giving it lots of love and kisses alone it will learn to be the perfect dog. Most abused rescue dogs will never be normal, and people have to realize this.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Khanstant posted:

tru post dogs are expressionless making GBS threads golems

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Pitbulls are funny to me because they're the only dangerous animal that catalyzes this kind of argument. If you left a small kid alone with any other similarly-sized animal and he got attacked nobody would be surprised any everyone would be calling for the parents' blood. Left kid alone with a bobcat or a python or a wolverine or something? "Stupid irresponsible parents!" Leave it alone with a pitbull and it's somehow just a sad, but unpredictable, accident.

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

after weighing all the evidence in this thread I have determined that Pit Bulls are dangerous

ok bye

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Pit bull gets euthanised and a presumably poor family is made even more miserable

im not seeing the problem here op? :911:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i spend my meager checks from the warehouse on tattoos, affliction shirts and food for my pit bull

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
my boss has a pitbull. she scares the hell out of everyone else, but I think she's scared of me

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
pitbulls are different though. i had a pitbull in my family that grew up around other dogs and people for a few years then came with me and a relative out to our own place. the only people it interacted with then was other adults occasionally and seemed fine. after a few years we decided to bring her back to our family and it automatically tried to kill the other dogs it grew up with and saw the little kids there as food. that wouldnt happen with any other breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

my boss has a pitbull. she scares the hell out of everyone else, but I think she's scared of me

Its your powerful odor.

The dog can tell you're really large and own the territory.

• Locked thread