Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I recall reading some critiques of the methods they used to get people interested in the kids and some of it felt kind of off to me. Some of the logs had the the kids being very explicit and even coaxing, like the guys would say 'it would be wrong" or 'you're too young" and then the decoy would try to convince them by saying they were already having sex or whatever.

Like don't get me wrong you shouldn't even be able to be convinced in the first place but at the same time I doubt there are actually 13 year olds out there who would do this, I guess I just feel like sometimes they're catching 'predators' that are unlikely to have ever acted on their inclinations had it not been for a fabricated child with the mind of an actual adult with a vested interest in convincing them.

From personal experience (I was 15 and trying to get laid via old rear end IRC chat rooms back in the 90s) most people would hear 15 and go NOPE *close chat*, but the ones who were open the the idea were VERY into the idea. I was rarely able to talk someone into things. This was back before law enforcement was really on top of things and people weren't even as paranoid as they would be now. I'm really inclined to say anyone who's all "but that would be wrong" are more trying to suss out if they can get away with it than actually thinking so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Groovelord Neato posted:

A normal person doesn't message them to begin with though.

sure, true. i think though we can distinguish between a "predator" and someone who might fantasize about children but never act on it. one is actually going after children, and these sting operations are a good way to deter or remove them. the other is not necessarily a threat to anyone. if you have to cajole and convince them to meet with you, it is maybe not the best use of your resources. there was at least one example of a perverted justice/to catch a predator sting against a guy who did message the "kid", but never talked about sex (and actually steered the conversation away from sex when the PJ person kept bringing it up). eventually she invited him to his house, and he went there after work and was confronted by chris hansen and humiliated on tv. now, is it abnormal behavior to meet up with a teenager? sure. but is he a predator? maybe not, but they might as well be guilty.

i think the best quote i've read on it is "when your program somehow manages to make you feel sorry for pedophiles you're doing something wrong"

edit: internet predators are actually pretty rare as well.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 19, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Sammus posted:

Am I the only one who has read the perverted justice chat logs? poo poo is all kinds of hosed up.

http://www.perverted-justice.com/?archive=fleet_captain_jaime_wolfe

Perverts love to prey on depressed people. I remember wandering DC, clearly depressed, and in the middle of a completely different conversation a guy suddenly asks about my romantic life and asks if I'd like to play with him in an alley.

This reminds me of that.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

To Catch A Terrorist CIA Kickstarter

any goons wanna defend these loving terrorists or the violent minded people they arrest?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Commie NedFlanders posted:

To Catch A Terrorist CIA Kickstarter

Something tells me terrorists aren't as stupid as kid-hungry pedophiles

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

Taliban are kidfuckers man.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

Concerned Citizen posted:

edit: internet predators are actually pretty rare as well.

who volunteers to go into a teen chatroom posed as an underaged kid to find out if this is true?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Noyemi K posted:

lol like 99% of all the FBI's stings on "American Terrorists" have been going into chatrooms/forums, saying "drat isn't ISIS cool guys???", and arresting whoever says yes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I just don't get how they think a 13 year old is actually there inviting some fat 40 year old with a babydilz over for some sweet lovin. You seen some of them decoys man?

lol some of these dudes drive like three loving hours. Some of em have even seen the goddamn show.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
the FBI is having such a field day launching all out raids on literal teens/grandmas who say "I think ISIS isn't bad" on facebook that they completely ignore people like the boston bombers

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Taliban are kidfuckers man.

only goats, geez :rolleyes:

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Vin BioEthanol posted:

gently caress a voicemail greeting, who lets it ring long enough to get to that anymore? How much to have chris hansen sit at my desk at work for a couple days telling anyone who comes by to "take a seat, yeah right over there"?

I'll donate if there are 900% more cops in ghillie suits pretending to be shrubbery

Purposely let him think he's got away from them, he's driving away in his car when suddenly these guys pop up

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I just don't get how they think a 13 year old is actually there inviting some fat 40 year old with a babydilz over for some sweet lovin. You seen some of them decoys man?

lol some of these dudes drive like three loving hours. Some of em have even seen the goddamn show.

I had dudes offer to fly me across the drat country cause they wanted some teenage rear end that bad. Even at the time that weirded me out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Noyemi K posted:

only goats, geez :rolleyes:

:stonk:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

LethalGeek posted:

From personal experience (I was 15 and trying to get laid via old rear end IRC chat rooms back in the 90s) most people would hear 15 and go NOPE *close chat*, but the ones who were open the the idea were VERY into the idea. I was rarely able to talk someone into things. This was back before law enforcement was really on top of things and people weren't even as paranoid as they would be now. I'm really inclined to say anyone who's all "but that would be wrong" are more trying to suss out if they can get away with it than actually thinking so.

And to think, you're still trying (unsuccessfully) to get laid to this very day.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LethalGeek posted:

How could u not get laid at 15? By an age equal that is. gently caress. Whoa dude all I can say

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kitchner posted:

And to think, you're still trying (unsuccessfully) to get laid to this very day.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

To catch a predator is so funny yet so hosed up at the same time. On one hand I love seeing some balding, middle aged, child fucker getting his rear end thrown to the ground and yet at the same time I realize that these creeps have family's and careers that are totally ruined by the show

In this economy, getting some kidfucker fired means that someone else just got a new job.

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014

diabeetz posted:

who volunteers to go into a teen chatroom posed as an underaged kid to find out if this is true?

They are called perverted justice.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
It was discovered some of the chat logs were faked and they gave a legal age.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Yaos posted:

It was discovered some of the chat logs were faked and they gave a legal age.

Source?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I was one of the guys that faked it. I now live in a South American country living on grapes and honey. Allahu akbar.

Just joking, it was your mom, she told me after we had sex with each other last night.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Yaos posted:

I was one of the guys that faked it. I now live in a South American country living on grapes and honey. Allahu akbar.

Just joking, it was your mom, she told me after we had sex with each other last night.

Well my mom is 13 so would you please take a seat.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Germstore posted:

Well my mom is 13 so would you please take a seat.

Your mom is going to jail. I'm an egg.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kitchner posted:

:golfclap:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
a picture of helen lovejoy from the simpsons with the words "wont someone think of the pedophiles"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kitchner posted:

:boom:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think turning all aspects of society into entertainment is good and great and it makes great tv. Man, vietnam don't have anything on this. gently caress burning kids on telly, I wanna see prisoners raped live! It'll be like Big Brother, except with a more likeable cast.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think I've watched all of the To Catch A Predator clips before, I loving love this show. Now that I'm a father, I feel even stronger about it all.

To hell with these perverts, goddamn. Especially that guy who brought his son :barf:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wonder if internet pedophiles look down on pedophiles who diddle their own kids as lazy. I mean they have to put in a lot of effort. Like learn a shitload of trivia about One Direction and Frozen and spend weeks or even months playing the part of a child. But some dudes out there just can't be bothered to even go outside to molest children.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Especially that guy who brought his son :barf:

Lol seriously?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah he literally walks in holding his four or five year old son's hand.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah he literally walks in holding his four or five year old son's hand.

Now it's a party

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Is there a clip of this? What did the cops do? Arrest him and billy bat him in the head in front of his son?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

EngineerSean posted:

Is there a clip of this? What did the cops do? Arrest him and billy bat him in the head in front of his son?

they arrested his son.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJssdlKaeqo

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
so like, what's stopping all these guys from having their faces blurred?

I'm getting mixed answers on plea bargin, Dateline was "news" not entertainment, and because the homes are private property they reserve the right to film whoever? tia

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I watched the "To Catch A Conman" or something like that Hansen did about 10 years ago and that's a show that made me legit fear someone killing him when confronted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

they arrested his son.

yea tazed them both kid had a seizure. Powerful television

• Locked thread