Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I was so psyched to see this back. And glad of the rule changes so the fights don't just end with flips or nothing happening.

That said, I really really wish Buddy Lee was coming back, that stupid thing never failed to make me laugh my rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Enos Shenk posted:

I was so psyched to see this back. And glad of the rule changes so the fights don't just end with flips or nothing happening.

That said, I really really wish Buddy Lee was coming back, that stupid thing never failed to make me laugh my rear end off.

One of the main people behind Buddy Lee was part of the team that made Sweet Revenge- http://battlebots.com/robots/sweet-revenge/

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Looks like there are plenty of flipper bots we haven't seen yet. Hopefully they launch bots good.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MikeNCR posted:

One of the main people behind Buddy Lee was part of the team that made Sweet Revenge- http://battlebots.com/robots/sweet-revenge/

Oh sweet. The new Complete Control looks badass.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I used to love this show when I was about 10 or 11. Or rather, the idea of the show. It was almost never on. loving robot fights. There is, and has never been a cooler idea. I can't believe it somehow still exists.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Just caught the fights on youtube. Man, allowing liquid fuel and flamethrowers in the rules is one of the better decisions they made. Death to all wedge/pushbots!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Downloaded the first episode and man was it a flashback to watch!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Competitor here (so I can't talk about stuff much).... Wrecks is a clever design and a build with that principle by the same team does really well in the lightweight category; it did not scale up well because their control system was all manual, rather than using a microcontroller to time the steps.

-some utube comment

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched this mostly out of nostalgia and goofiness (I was like 8 when it was on Comedy Central and had to convince my parents to let me stay up past my bedtime to watch robots fight and Carmen Electra do Carmen Electra things), but this was actually really entertaining. It's just dumb how little of the show was actual fights.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah watching the small version of Wrecks is way different. The arena they use is way smaller relative to the bots so they don't have nearly as much room to maneuver.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Just caught the fights on youtube. Man, allowing liquid fuel and flamethrowers in the rules is one of the better decisions they made. Death to all wedge/pushbots!

How effective are flamethrowers though? They make for great spectacle, but how much damage though they really do compared to a spinner or just ramming into another bot?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Xelkelvos posted:

How effective are flamethrowers though? They make for great spectacle, but how much damage though they really do compared to a spinner or just ramming into another bot?

Not very effective at all. I've never seen a robot lose because their opponent set them on fire. Turns out big metal boxes are great heat sinks. Part of the reason is that you're allowed to shoot flame, but not flaming liquid.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Xelkelvos posted:

Electronics hate heat.
Bearings hate heat.
Servo's hate heat.
Rubber wheels hate heat.
Anything Soldered rather then welded.

Pretty much very effective if the right parts get hot (Which is rare). Not to mention that due to weight restrictions most bots don't have very thick armor.

GuavaMoment posted:

Not very effective at all. I've never seen a robot lose because their opponent set them on fire. Turns out big metal boxes are great heat sinks. Part of the reason is that you're allowed to shoot flame, but not flaming liquid.

Sums it up pretty well. But If I read the rules right I think a torch style weapon is fine. Plasma torch to the face, pin them down and cut them open while they squeal like a pig.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Xelkelvos posted:

I think like drills and buzzsaws, you need to pin the other guy down to deal sustained damage. The problem is the tendency for robots to bounce off each other and rotate around.

So far it seems like inertia weapons are the way to go- a spinning disc that unloads all its energy in a single blow which can shear off chunks of the other robot.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Alright, I'm ready for some robot fighting.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
this lockjaw intro is tight im hype

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everything spoken on this show sounds scripted

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

CONTROVERSY!

Lock Jaw gonna get red carded!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Henchman of Santa posted:

Everything spoken on this show sounds scripted

ya i thought that last week

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Haha Witch Doctor looks dope!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Rofl that bot go hosed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That flame looked like it could have been bad.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Flame bot wasn't enough for Master Flipbot.

gently caress flipbots forever.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I can't imagine flame is that good. I feel like you'd need to hold the flame on the tires/internals for a while before they started heating up to destructive levels.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

Flame bot wasn't enough for Master Flipbot.

gently caress flipbots forever.
Never thought I'd see someone say this about an inertia labs flipper bot lol. those things are always fan favorites.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

This ain't your Johnny Cash era Folsom Prison Guard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh boy, two spinner bots. :getin:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tombstone. :stare:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
This bot owns.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That escalated quickly.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Heel bots.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That was robot rape.

Holy Hell!

Goonbot is up.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

lets go complete control though you are probably going to get hosed up. I have faith

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wait. This bot has a camera tracking system? What benefit does that have if it's manually controlled?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If you're wondering which one the goonbot is, it's the one piloted by an unfunny autist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did the original show have this many pro wrestling elements? I was 10 when it went off the air.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Derek Young owns

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

loving goons.

WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOOOOOOOOX?????!!!!?!?eleven

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
LAFFO