Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Going on a TE run at this stage isn't a bad idea, although I'm surprised we're not seeing more RBs taken. The last four teams drafting each only have one RB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Going on a TE run at this stage isn't a bad idea, although I'm surprised we're not seeing more RBs taken. The last four teams drafting each only have one RB.

I have two, regardless of what you may think of Hyde or Langford :colbert:

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
It's pretty clear that no one appears to trust the RBs this year, at least not this early. I'm sure things will change once we start getting reports from training camp and see them in preseason action.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

I have two, regardless of what you may think of Hyde or Langford :colbert:

I meant the folks drafting in slots 8-12.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm surprised Olsen lasted as late as he did, but with him gone, I see a dozen basically interchangeable TEs and I think it's too early to draft one of them. So,

5.10 DeMarco Murray
This guy was a clear first-rounder until last year's low-effort crybaby feud/tantrum about being disrespected or whatever the gently caress. Murray is being touted as a veteran timesharer in Ten but I think there's a decent chance he returns to form... and in the fifth round he's got plenty of value even if he doesn't. I wanted Latavious or J-Stew here but those guys got grabbed so here we are.

I agree the RB class is deep this year, except not RBs who also catch! It's half-ppr and there are just a handful of guys left who have a clear record of being both big runners, and passing-down options/checkdown guys. While I see a deep stable of WR2s.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Welp, Im starting to see that I'm way on board with the Colt's offense this year, to the point where I'm drafting ancient RBs who performed poorly last year. Still, we've been saying that Frank Gore is out of gas for about 4 seasons now, and he keeps chugging along. I have a lot of faith in a healthy Luck, a complete lack of competition in the backfield, and a stronger o-line to boost Gore to somewhere in the ballpark of 1100/8, which would make him a valuable RB2 at this stage in the draft.

Lamar Miller
Frank Gore
Demaryius Thomas
TY Hilton
Rob Gronkowski

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 15, 2016

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
5.12- Matt Jones- Assuming he can get over the fumbles and learns the pass protection, I think he's got some serious upside in what should be a really solid offense. Also, as much as I hate myself for it, I like taking players on the team I am cursed to support.

6.01- Russell Wilson- I think he's pretty great value at 61 overall. Normally I'd keep waiting at QB, but I can't pass him up here.

War Riggins
Russell Wilson
C.J. Anderson
Matt Jones
Dez Bryant
Amari Cooper
Jeremy Maclin

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Veritek83 posted:

5.12- Matt Jones- Assuming he can get over the fumbles and learns the pass protection, I think he's got some serious upside in what should be a really solid offense. Also, as much as I hate myself for it, I like taking players on the team I am cursed to support.

6.01- Russell Wilson- I think he's pretty great value at 61 overall. Normally I'd keep waiting at QB, but I can't pass him up here.

War Riggins
Russell Wilson
C.J. Anderson
Matt Jones
Dez Bryant
Amari Cooper
Jeremy Maclin

Both of these are solid picks with great value IMO. I'd say your team is shaping up to be a real threat, although having Anderson as my RB1 would terrify me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was definitely going to take Wilson as my second QB if he fell to me, so that was absolutely the right pick there.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

With pick 6.02 I select Larry Fitzgerald.

That's two picks in a row of guys who are 30+ years old, but Fitz performed well enough last year, Palmer is healthy, and this offense is sick. I feel like I'm leaning pretty conservative in this draft, but I chalk it up to being very early in the season. Drafting without having been bombarded with tickets to a million different hype trains is interesting and I can't wait to see how ridiculous there's picks look come December.

Demaryius Thomas
TY Hilton
Larry Fitzgerald
Lamar Miller
Frank Gore
Rob Gronkowski

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

6.03 Emmanuel Sanders
I needed a WR. We're down to a very short list of WR1s on highly questionable teams, including a couple of rookies, and a lot of very good WR2s on good teams. Sanders is an excellent receiver, who would be WR1 on a lot of other NFL teams. Presumably he's fallen to the sixth round only because of Denver's, uh, questionable QB situation. But, Sanders produced gobs of points in a season where Old Man Manning's arm turned into a wet noodle, so I'm confident he'll earn me some points this year.

He was a bit of a tossup vs. Larry Fitz, so Mikey Purp there sort of solved that issue for me kinda, although honestly I had Fitz just behind Sanders in my autodraft queue. If they'd both gone, I might have gone for a rookie. Maybe even a rookie Brown, ulp.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

6.05 - DeVante Parker

I needed another WR and I got swept up in reading the hype about this kid, so hopefully he comes back healthy and works well in Gase's system. I almost took Crabtree here though and might have taken Sanders if he fell to me

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
6.11 - Markus Wheaton

Looks to be able to handle the WR2 role after the year of competition with Bryant upping his game. Will probably have ups and downs in scoring depending on how defenses deal with AB84, but had 42 targets in the last 5 games (Bryant had 47) as a WR2. Hoping that he builds on last year and can score a line in the realm of 60/850/6 if not better.

(a little while after I made the pick I saw John Brown was available and kicked myself)

7.02 - DeSean Jackson

If he can stay healthy he can rack up some points. Nothing special expected with this pick. Probably another boom/bust but can get 1k+ yds if he plays 16.

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 17, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

6.10 - Danny Woodhead
Grit. Determination. Passes out of the backfield.

The always underrated Danny Woodhead finished as the PPR RB 3 last season, and is poised tor a big role again this year with Melvin Gordon's microfracture surgery raising questions about his health.

7.03. Corey Coleman, WR

The uber talented Baylor WR slots into a huge target volume in Cleveland, where he stands to play a huge role early on. Dude is a playmaker, and he may have the highest upside of the rookie WRs.

Also, loving Sammy Watkins foot surgery, jesus christ.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
7.06 Jay Ajayi

Heavy risk/reward here since we have little body of work to judge him on and they might sign another back by camp. (Arian Foster?) But in the end I though he was more interesting than Bernard or Yeldon, both of whom are firmly stuck in timeshares and whose goal-line chances are limited.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
6.12 - John Brown

Who knows how Arizona will pan out, but my money is on Brown taking over as Fitzgerald continues to show signs of age. Last year's WR21 in standard and WR26 in PPR, that's a pretty reasonable floor for my WR3.

7.1 - Travis Kelce
I figured the 7th was a reasonable spot to snag a TE. Although not stellar last year, Kelce did well enough that I feel I have good value here.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

6.09 Donte Moncrief

With a healthy Luck leading the offense again, Moncrief can easily best last year's line of 64/733/6. Andre Johnson and Coby Fleener are gone and the Colts as a whole threw for over a 1000 yards less than in 2014. Luck's #2 option ought to have some big games in 2016.

7.04 Duke Johnson

One of the best receiving RBs of his draft class, he turned in a solid rookie year, catching 61 receptions. Now he gets Hue Jackson calling plays for him and a WR corps devoid of standout talents so he's likely to see a lot of looks in the passing game. Potential breakout PPR back.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

yo I hate you Azhais whyy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Varg posted:

yo I hate you Azhais whyy

Well, Jim Caldwell says that he expects big things from Abdullah this year. Big things. No coach would be using coachspeak in May, so this is obviously the steal RB1 of the draft.

As an aside, I decided to click on the "fantasy sharks draft coach" link to see what they thought I should take with this pick, and the #1 far and away choice was Josh Gordon. So get him while he's hot boxing guys.

e: Also, every time I see Ameer's name I think of Abdulla Doo from Quest for Glory and it makes me smile :colbert:

Azhais fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 18, 2016

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

well fine then, I took Isaiah Crowell because I guess he's still technically the 1st down back for the Browns and will get touches

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
7.09 WR Michael Crabtree

Feel like i'm getting really good value here, He ended last season in the top 20 in PPR even though the Raiders regressed in the 2nd half. Another year in the system and i feel like he can end at least a WR3 if not push for WR2 status as my Flex.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sniped again, god dammit. I was going to draft Crabs.

So:
7.10 Gary Barnidge
Yeah, I took a TE here. Looked at the WR and RB corps, and didn't see anyone I absolutely had to grab.

I was initially leaning towards Eric Ebron. He claims he's Detroit's safety net, and will get lots more targets now with Megatron retired. Maybe. But there's just as good a chance that he sticks right where he's at, a 500 yard season, which is acceptable for a TE2.
But in that case, why not just take Zack Ertz? He's probably a better TE, and he pulled in 300 more yards (although fewer TDs) last year. Well, the answer is because the Eagles. Who is their QB? What will the new coach do? I don't loving know.

So why not grab the superior TE, even though he's a Brown? They have new coaching too, and a new QB situation. And Barnidge put up a thousand yard season, plus nine TDs, in a year where the QBs were generally awful. And he's a 7-year veteran. The Browns have a stable of rookies who will have to learn the ropes... I think it makes sense to run Barnidge out on a lot of sets as a safe checkdown option while the new kids fumble around being rookies.

This pick could bite me in the rear end, of course, but gently caress it. End of the 7th round is where you grab your question mark players who have a ton of potential upside, and I think Barnidge fits that description.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 18, 2016

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Sniped again, god dammit. I was going to draft Crabs.

Hah, yea i knew people would start looking towards him as a great Flex option. I was actually worried he was gonna go before i picked again.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I was hoping to grab Barnidge. If that offense is actually going to do anything I think he's going to be a big part of it.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
I can say only one thing about this league. Slowest draft = confusingest draft. I have been lost since about the fifth round with no idea where I want to go with each pick and end up tossing darts. If I win I should change professions to professional dart thrower and move to the UK.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The best part is when two of your guys die during the preseason and two more wind up on some practice squad or out of the league entirely, and you spend your entire season getting between zero and three points a game in one of your slots. But meanwhile you have four really great guys in another slot so you get like 25 points in it every week.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

As I mentioned I was eyeing Barnidge here- I think he could be super productive as RG3's security blanket in what could be surprisingly effective offense. That said, I can't complain about who I was able to get.

7.12- Yeldon is potentially a true feature back and this could be a breakout year. Can't pass up that sort of upside at the end of the 7th.

8.01- Bernard was RB19 in .5 PPR last year and that's with Dalton going down. I think he's got a really high floor in .5PPR and again, at the top of the 8th, tough to argue with.

War Riggins
Russell Wilson
C.J. Anderson
Matt Jones
T.J. Yeldon
Giovani Bernard
Dez Bryant
Amari Cooper
Jeremy Maclin

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
drat, was looking at Marvin Jones with my next pick, but now i may have to actually take a look at TE's. Or probably just look at adding a 3rd RB.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 18, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So as probably nobody has noticed by now, I decided everyone was talking about goign heavy WRs and so I would try to go light WRs as a contrarian approach. Hence I've now drafted my second QB while a number of you don't even have your first.

8.03 Carson Palmer
I'll just quote my comment here:
For my QB2, I'd take Tom Brady except he's missing 4 weeks. Close second is Carson Palmer. Why not Drew Brees? Because Brees is getting old and has a lot of miles. I expect him to start declining as a passer some day soon (he is going down in yards per year the last three years). Palmer is almost as old, but has played fewer seasons, and last year was his best ever. And the Cards are just a better team, with Fitz, Floyd, Brown, and a promising JJ Nelson as targets, plus a dynamite RB corps, they're poised for a superbowl run.

Palmer is certainly an injury risk, but that's why I've got Rodgers as my QB1. I figure between the two of them I should have very good odds of big 25 point games every week. I had three strong contenders for my QB pick here, between Brees, Palmer, and Tom Brady. Brady was tempting even with a 4-week suspension, because it's very unlikely Rodgers gets injured in the first four weeks and it mostly guarantees Brady is fresh through the midseason. But in the end I figured well, I think the Pats are in a bit of a decline while I think the Cards are on a potential championship upswing, so I'll go with the cards. And that's why Brees loses out, of the three, on top of his older age; the Saints kind of suck these days.

Now I just have to hope that going late on WRs doesn't bite me too hard in the rear end.

e. I'm pretty happy with this roster so far:
pre:
Palmer, Carson ARI QB 		317.0 	9
Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB 		294.0 	4
Murray, DeMarco TEN RB 		143.0 	13
Peterson, Adrian MIN RB 	225.5 	6
Landry, Jarvis MIA WR 		193.5 	8
Nelson, Jordy GBP WR (P) 	- 	4
Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR 	170.5 	11
Barnidge, Gary CLE TE 		178.5 	13

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

8.05 - Travis Benjamin

I was looking at Marvin Jones too, but I'm still pleased to get Benjamin. He was good last year without a good QB so maybe he'll be a lot better this year?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ooh, an autopick at 8.08!
And a hopeful Arian Foster pick!

Post about your picks, you lazy bastards!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I believe all my picks speak for themselves

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

My last two or three picks could be summed up as "I've completely lost track of what I'm doing and what my strategy was."

7.11 Kevin White: I think I might have reached pretty hard here, but MFL's interface makes it really difficult to see what players are available and I didn't have access to a computer at the time. Excuses aside, Kevin White was a first round draft pick last year before his season was lost to injury. This year he's finally healthy and won't be competing with anyone for the #2 job behind Alshon Jeffrey. I like his chances.

8.2 Marvin Jones: He had flashes in Cincinnatti and should finally get consistent playing time and targets while attempting to fill the shoes of one Don Mega. Jones is a beast in the red zone and could end up a quality WR2 or better if the Lions improve in any way this year.

Looking back, if I could have taken that Kevin White pick back in exchange for Gio Bernard, I would do it. I just think that my team needs some more RB depth and White may have even been there come round 9, who knows.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Ooh, an autopick at 8.08!
And a hopeful Arian Foster pick!

Post about your picks, you lazy bastards!

I do!

8.11 - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

Originally wanted Barnidge as a sentimental pick before I got sniped in the last go-around, but ASJ was a nice value pick with good upside for this season. Injured most of last season, but in the couple of games he was healthy he showed strong. Wanted to wait even longer but too many TEs off the board to roll the dice on another run through the board.

9.02 - Arian Foster

He should sign somewhere once he is recovered, and definitely high risk high reward. Could be the RB1 on half of NFL rosters, and although he is a heavy injury risk, those same injuries have also reduced the wear-and-tear he would have taken the past two seasons. Upside is a miracle RB1 starter, downside is a third down back that tears his hammy two games into his season to end it. Willing to take the gamble on more upside than down.

And I just noticed my Bye week situation is perfect so far!

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 19, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

8.10 - Zach Ertz has been trending upwards over the past few years, and just signed a big extension with the Eagles. I'm hoping these are signs that he should be more involved in the offense this year.

9.03 - Tyler Lockett had a nice breakout season with the Seahawks last year, and feels like a pretty good value here in the 9th round. I think there are still a few nice WRs on the board, but they may not make it back around to me on my next turn. I like stacking WRs early in this format.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
8.12 - Drew Brees
The man is old, not dead. This is awesome value at the end of the 8th.

9.01 - Charles Sims
ADP says that it's extremely unlikely he'll be back to me again, and having the extra depth for a player who can also have upside. Last year he played in all 15 games and put up RB2 numbers in 6 of them. Not bad for a backup in a BB league.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Sit 'n' spin bitches, I'm on vacation t:cool:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, I just made my round 9 pick, Justin Forsett. Write up:

"Kinda just looking for names I recognize at this point, that being said, based on a short amount of research, it looks like he's currently the lead back in BAL, and he had a great season 2 years ago. Who knows what will happen in September, but I'm happy to roll the dice with a 9th round pick."

You gotta admit, a 10 PM to 10 AM pick window when you're on vacation is pretty brutal. I'll try to check more often until I get back home on Sunday though.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
9.06 Karlos Williams because if/when Shady gets hurt or attacks another bouncer, he becomes an RB1. Even when Shady's around he's an alright vulture and RB4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

8.09 Tom Brady
Brady feels like a bargain at this spot. Still an elite QB1, all he has to do is take his fight to the Supreme Court.

9.04 Dorial Green-Beckham
I think the Titans have found a real franchise QB in Mariota, so Green-Beckham will probably be a popular upside pick in drafts this year. I'm a fan of his game and think he will be a preferred option in the red zone.

• Locked thread