Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I found myself scrolling past Barret's yelling just to read the drug war story :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elentor posted:

If they're not gonna do it right, why bother doing it at all?

If you have to ask yourself this question, you will never work in Hollywood.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Dr. Dos posted:

I found myself scrolling past Barret's yelling just to read the drug war story :smith:

Me too. I have seen City of God, but it's one thing to see a movie and quite another to hear someones personal experiences. I'm glad everything turned out well for you... Lord, living in rural Maine, I can't even imagine something like that.

Yeesh, with that story, the collapsing pillar, and Elmyra's flashback, this update was just full of :smith:. Hopefrully, things look up soon.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Elentor posted:

Never seen it, but a friend of mine told me there's a guy who speaks Portugal's Portuguese, and this infuriates us to no end. It's like someone making a movie showing US but you get only British actors and people speaking with a British accent, or a movie in England with American actors and American accent. If they're not gonna do it right, why bother doing it at all?

Or a British comedy show where 4 out of the 5 people on screen are American or Canadian. Oh wait...

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Here, Have an FMV! I used Polsy so as to avoid spoilers in the comments and related videos. I'd recommend watching it.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

The youtube video doesn't capture this, but in the actual game you see Cloud and co. swinging away from the pillar in that shot at the beginning. The transition from game engine to FMV was completely seamless. That kind of thing was breathtaking back in 1997.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I've played the poo poo out of this game in my day and I have never once been in the honey bee hotel. I feel very differently about my fond childhood memories of this game now.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I literally played this game until the final dungeon and stopped. it was ridiculous don't think i disliked it because I had the patience to obtain KOTR(knights of the round for people who don't care about the spoiler but don't know what that is) and defeated ruby weapon.
I still to this day haven't seen the last bass or dungeon.

Love the rainbows by the way, hey it is pride month somewhere.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 22, 2011

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
The disc 1 overworld theme has to be the best game music ever composed.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
If Aeris is Daeneryth then does that mean that Cloud is actually Joffreud? His hair is blond! The seed is strong! :tinfoil:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hey Elentor, you planning on showing off much of Enemy Skill?

I don't know when I should prepare to :spergin: about it, if at all.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hey Elentor, you planning on showing off much of Enemy Skill?

I don't know when I should prepare to :spergin: about it, if at all.

The only Enemy skill I remember being useful(Mighty Guard too, probably, although I'm not sure I used that all that much) was Beta, and getting it at a point where it was still really good was a bitch and a half.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
There's a couple of other elemental equivalents of Beta that do big damage before the normal materia can match it. Also Big Guard is amazing to the point of being pretty overpowered, but I'm sure we'll probably see all this later on

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Matra Magic loses steam fast, but it's easy to get and will let you completely steamroll enemies for the next 3 or 4 areas. Useful as hell.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saradiart posted:

If Aeris is Daeneryth then does that mean that Cloud is actually Joffreud? His hair is blond! The seed is strong! :tinfoil:

Cloud is Ser Jorrah obviously. Baretheon is President Shinra and Joffrey is Rufus and the Turks are the Kingsguard.

And Zack was Khal Drogo, the guy who was actually banging Daeneryth and is now dead.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Gotta agree that Aeris's mom's flashback is amazing. They do interesting shot transitions and pans that travel through time. It was more direction than had ever been possible before in a simple dialogue scene, and it fit the music beautifully.

And every single time I play this game, the first thing I do when I get out of Midgar and have a ton of poo poo to buy is sell all of my ethers. They're an amazing source of cash, and you'll probably never need any of them.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Matra Magic loses steam fast, but it's easy to get and will let you completely steamroll enemies for the next 3 or 4 areas. Useful as hell.

It's also a great tool early on for getting limits.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 15 - A Golden Shiny Wire

Before we start this, let's do a recap, shall we?

The Story so Far

Although we're still early in the game (it's been 15 updates, but it's possible to get to the point we're at in 1 hour), a lot of poo poo have happened already. In fact, this beginning is actually where most poo poo happens. The game is not by any means sparse when it comes to plot but Midgar is just dense.

We know that Midgar is owned by this evil corporation called Shinra. They drain the "life force" of the planet to convert it into energy, according to Barret, and if that continues the planet will eventually wither and die. Cloud, like us, has no idea if that is true or not.

Cloud is a mercenary hired to AVALANCHE thanks to his childhood friend Tifa, who's also part of AVALANCHE. AVALANCHE is/was an organization owned by Barret dedicated to destroy the Reactors and Shinra to save the world.

Cloud, however, is much more of a mystery. We know that he's an ex-SOLDIER First Class, an elite military force owned by Shinra. We don't know why he left, but we do know that he has psychotic breakdowns from time to time and hears voices in his head, one of which he thinks it was Sephiroth, another SOLDIER First Class. Since everyone (including the president) refers to him in the past, we assume Sephiroth is either dead or missing.

After destroying one reactor, Shinra managed to follow them to the next reactor and make a trap, which resulted in Cloud falling down a shitload and crashing into a Church in the Sector 5 slums. The church is maintained by Aeris, a flower seller. Since nothing good ever happens to Cloud, turns out Aeris, too, is being pursued by Shinra for being an Ancient, the sole survivor of a different race who can "hear the planet" and apparently talk to the dead.

Shinra proceeds to strike down the Sector 7 pillar in order to make the entire Sector fall down and crush the slums, thus eliminating AVALANCHE. They succeed, somewhat - Biggs, Wedge and Jessie are gone, and in the process they also managed to kidnap Aeris. Cornered, Cloud & others have no choice but to take the fight straight to the Shinra headquarters.

With that in mind, we go to the Wall Market, look for clues.

We go to the obvious place - the gym. Where else should we look for clues?

Oh cmon, don't try and push me that crap, old man.

We're not that gullible.

Oh ok :3

Anyway, Cloud complains more about it but we just buy the drat things. They cost 100 gil, it's expensive and I feel bad about it.

Some kids guide us the way, but we're gonna pay Don a visit first. Cloud has... unfinished business with him, if you know what I mean.

We can visit the place we missed. You're sent here if Don picks up Aeris or Tifa and needs to fight Don's lackeys instead.

Unfortunately, Don is not home, but we can go down to the torture room...

And find one of his dudes there.

Seems like Shinra is making sure no one knows what truly happens. Shady stuff.

We go to the place to the right to see the wire.

That's the spirit!

Cmon Cloud, don't be a naysayer.

And I was like :drat:

That's one of the best quotes of the game.

Hahahahaha.

"Let's go!"

I needed to do this wall's justice.

This whole place's artwork is amazing. The background is in parallax and is actually the Sector 7 in ruins.

This session is actually quite linear. You just move around and jump to keep going up. We're immediately prompted with putting a battery here to make the airpla... you know, what the hell is an airplane doing here?

The propeller moves and we can jump on it to go up. Yeah.

We have three batteries. We use the second here... I love how everything is so conveniently placed.

This part is pure hell. You have to jump when the bar is close to you, but not too close. There's no way to know when the timing is right until you somehow manage to do it.

We go up, though...

...to use up our last battery and get an ether. Completionists like to save that last battery though, because it's a one-of-a-kind item, and you're not forced to use it.

We move to the last screen and go up one last time.

The Shinra Headquarters. The most phallic building ever made.

This is a very climatic moment - this place could be a final dungeon, for what is worth.

Place is drat out-of-scale. I mean, this thing is HUGE in proportion to the rest of the city.

There ain't no rest for the wicked.

Look at dat friggin' statue.

Seriously look at that statue.

Here's the trick for old-school modelling - the more primitives you could use, the better.

This place is just a bunch of cylinders. The stairs are just multiple layers of extruded cylinders, etc.

We have two choices- going through the front door, or going through the stairs on the left.

We obviously choose the front, but I'd like to point that if you pick up the stairs you actually have to go all the 60 floors up.

gently caress YEAH

Insert Howie Scream here.

The random people will just run away if we come too close. It's fun to play with but there are random encounters in this room, and the enemies here are annoying.

We find the second newsletter from the Turtle's Paradise here.

YES BUT WHERE IS IT

gently caress it, let's go to the store.

Hahahahaha

Of course when they realize we're here they just run away and free the television for us.

Yes you can actually watch the ad.

We can't steal from the store though.

Because we're nice guys etc.

Haha

Anyways, we take the elevator because that obviously can't go wrong.

Cloud back to being an rear end in a top hat.

Aww :3:

The elevator here stops randomly at some floors, which usually ends up in us fighting random enemies.

This little jerk likes to hide. He hid right before I confirmed to cast Bolt.

He also likes to put [Confusion] on your members. See when I say the random enemies are harder than bosses?

We exit on Floor 59, which is great and all...

These are Mighty Grunts. They have good defense. I think the enemies here put up a decent challenge, it's really surprising.

Here's the gimmick about the building - We need keycards to access the higher floors. For example, having the Keycard 63 grants us access all the way to the 63th floor.

I really, really think this place would make a great last dungeon.

There are two elevators, the internal and the external ones. We can use both right now. With that said, we go to the 60th floor...

I'm pumped for this.

The most dangerous criminals of Midgar broke into the headquarters and the guard is sleeping. IMMERSION RUINED.

Next Time:

Mini-games! Floors with bizarre stuff that doesn't make sense! Gyms! Megaphones! poo poo GETS REAL AGAIN IT'S GETTING REAL ALL THE TIME.

Chapter 15 - Bugs & Bytes

The other way

So what happens if you go through the stairs? Yes, it's mind-bogglingly boring, and because we're all awful human beings, let's take a look at it shall we?

Oh yes, here we go for this journey, this magical adventure of hope and wonder.

Hahaha.

And we're gonna see... everything.

I like how Cloud is just there thinking "why did I bring these two again?"

Yes Cloud of course.

I'm pretty sure there's no way that's possible.

Cloud and Aerith sitting under a tree.

K I T H T H I N G

Hahahaha

People who complain the FF7 characters don't chat with each other have obviously never taken the stairs.

I can't blame him.

Our prize for enduring the staircase hell is an Elixir. Elixirs heal the entire HP and MP of one character.

Already got my Elixir, bye.

Let's be honest here, Tifa was the one really behind AVALANCHE all along. I can't imagine Barret really coming up with plans.

Barret suffers of SOLDIER-envy.

Can't you just like, jump all the way up? I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere.

Translation-squad, find out what the hell she's scared about. I bet she did a Kyaaa here.

I have a friend with claustrophobia, she never takes the elevator. And she asks this all the time.

Then again I'm pretty sure that the Shinra HQ is the size of the Everest.

Hahahahahahahah

So, what can we talk about?

If you ever ask if Barret has stairs in his house the dude is gonna have some serious post-traumatic breakdown.

Cloud is taking it like a champ.

Well at least the worst is over. This time we got no commotion. It was all well worth it. On to save Ae...

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

And now that we're done with today's Bugs & Bytes, I'll leave you guys with this. Have fun.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 3, 2011

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yes YES you showed the stair dialogue. I was afraid you'd skip it after choosing the first option. Obviously, charging in really is the less painful and more badass choice, but Tifa and Barrett are amusing together. That one line in particular is, as you have appropriately put it, gold.

It's also really amusing how poor the security at Shinra HQ is. On the outside they say floors above 59 are "not easy to get to, even for employees" but that's such a goddamn lie. At least they went through the effort to show the security camera monitor sleeping.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I never knew there was a store...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I always take the stairs.

Always.

One of the best parts of the game right there. The front door doesn't come close.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Remember that most people can't survive multiple gunshot wounds to the face.

Also, a large portion of Shinra's private security at the HQ was recently killed off in an attempted coup recently. According to Crisis Core.

And Tifa is screaming because she's just figuring out that Barret can see up her skirt. Although that's her own goddamn fault for being a martial artist in a miniskirt, really.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Taking the stairs is the way to go. Sure it's kind of boring, but the dialogue is a good time. At the time I thought I was doing it for the elixer, but looking back, it's well worth it for the lines.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Can I just say that climbing up that wall is awesome? Seriously, the first time I climbed that wall I was impressed. You know how to make a 30 second long journey of climbing up a wire not boring? Make it in front of a wall with amazing art direction, atmosphere, and graffiti. Seriously, that wall is awe inspiring in how it captures the feel of the slums so perfectly.

I love that wall.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Cuchulain posted:

And Tifa is screaming because she's just figuring out that Barret can see up her skirt. Although that's her own goddamn fault for being a martial artist in a miniskirt, really.

I'm pretty sure that's it, yeah. Her animation during that scene seems to support this theory.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Also, a large portion of Shinra's private security at the HQ was recently killed off in an attempted coup recently. According to Crisis Core.

Also, they're all probably out looking for AVALANCHE. Even if the President thinks he got them all, since his cover story is that AVALANCHE brought down the plate, obviously he has to assume publicly that they escaped.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For some reason I thought she had to pee and she was telling you to go ahead so she could take care of that. Yeah, I don't know either.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Can I just say that climbing up that wall is awesome? Seriously, the first time I climbed that wall I was impressed. You know how to make a 30 second long journey of climbing up a wire not boring? Make it in front of a wall with amazing art direction, atmosphere, and graffiti. Seriously, that wall is awe inspiring in how it captures the feel of the slums so perfectly.

I love that wall.

That or you take off your shirt while Snake Eater plays.

The staircase is my favorite part of the game. I don't even need a plot or combat or any of that stuff, just give me an endless staircase while the characters trade quips and get increasingly frustrated that they're not getting anywhere.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DocFrance posted:

For some reason I thought she had to pee and she was telling you to go ahead so she could take care of that. Yeah, I don't know either.

That's an odd thing to assume, even if the game is Japanese.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 16 - Obligatory Puzzle Dungeon

As eatingapples pointed, this music plays during the majority of this update. Standard spoilers caution in the related videos.

Seriously, what kind of model is that? It reminds me of Lilith from Darkstalkers.

Our mission here is to run between the statues while the guards are not looking.

If you run while they're switching between statues they don't see you. Shinra security would be improved by infinity% if they just sat down in front of the statues.

All in all a pretty boring, easy and worthless mini-game. Floor 60, you've brought us great shame.

It makes sense that floor 60 is just a guarded hall though, since the upper floors are supposed to be all important and stuff.

Floor 61th is the lobby.

Where everyone is completely oblivious to our existence, you'd think they'd be showing Cloud and co. faces on the news.

Man I wish people flirted with me like that. Oh wait, they do :smug:

This really makes no sense though.

Thanks... I guess?

You have no idea.

It's like the entire world of FF7 is populated by idiots except for Cloud and Aeris.

Hey I'm here to fix the elevator, thanks for handing me this super-specious top-security card that only a few very select people are supposed to have.

I'm pretty sure this entire place is some sort of social commentary.

Anyway we go to the 61th Floor.

The 61th floor is the library and the mayor's office.

Yes, there are 9 floors above the mayor's office. He doesn't mean poo poo.

'It's no big deal really, I just... yeah it's no big deal :smith:'

So here's the mini-game, you have to guess the mayor's password. The deputy can give you tips if you pay him.

The puzzle is like this - you need to go out to the library and take a look at the books.

Every book has a number before. You need to take note of the equivalent letter in the book name, counting from left. So in this case, G, which is the fourth character in the name.

The password has four letters and there are four sectors in this library, so we need to find the only possibilities that match the password.

Creepy things.

Most book names are plot-related somehow, it's the kind of thing that makes more sense the second time you're playing, though some are obvious like this one.

The password is random, there are some different possibilities.

Anyway, the password for us is BEST.

Whatever you say, Mr. President.

We get the Keycard 65. That means we now have 3 floors available to us. HOORAY!

And because we got the answer right on the first try, we also get a bonus - the [Elemental] Materia. This is a very interesting item. It's a support (blue) materia that has two different uses - if you equip it on weapon, the physical damage you deal now uses the element attached to it (so Elemental-Bolt makes your physical attack super-effective against robots, etc).

On the armor, however, it protects you against the linked element. At the first level the materia halves the damage, at second it nulls the damage and at third level it absorbs the damage. Neat uh?

Anyway, a very good addition to our repertoire.

Proud to serve, sir.

Just showing off our neat new materia. I equip it as Elemental-Lightning on Cloud's weapon.

Floor 63 is a bizarre optional puzzle in which there are three coupons spread around and a lot of doors between us as them.

We can open up to three doors before having to go back to redeem the coupons. Our goal is of course picking up as many coupons as we can.

Once we exchange them, we can no longer open the doors, so we need to get the three coupons in one go.

Taking the upper route we can get to the leftmost room in two doors, get the coupon, and go up the air duct.

The air duct is a shortcut to the exchange room and another coupon room.

So we pick up the coupon in this room and the room next door, and get back to exchange.

The [All] Materia is obvious, the other two are interesting items.

[Star Pendant] is an accessory, not an armor. It protects the user from Poison effects.

[Four Slots] is an armor with, as the name implies, four separate slots. Four Slots, however, has extremely low defense compared to other armors we have access to.

This is great because it allow us to reach our limit bar faster, while not sacrificing Materia slots.

We exchange our items and put our Star Pendant on Cloud. It's our first accessory!

Four Slots obviously goes on Tifa.

Anyway let's move to the next floor.

Floor 64 is the gym. We can always use a gym.

That's right, you can actually... take a nap.

gently caress you I want to pee.

We can take all sorts of items from the locker room.

Even a megaphone, although Cloud sees no reason to take it and just leaves it there.

I like how it says "only" 250 gil.

gently caress yooou.

The guy is right, this place IS falling apart.

Anyway there's nothing else to do here so let's go to the floor 65.

Floor 65 is another weird puzzle room. There are lots of these locked chests and a model of Midgar in the middle.

The puzzle is pretty stupid, you just have to open the chests in the correct order...

...to get parts to put into the model. This floor makes no sense.

The "challenge" comes from the fact that, unlike the previous floors, this floor features random encounters.

Whenever you put a part of the model, a chest opens up somewhere else in the room.

Here's an item that we can farm in this room. Remember those robots that put confusion in you? They drop [Loco weeds], an item that casts Confusion in your opponents. Confusion makes them hit each other.

Anyway, we finish the puzzle and get another Keycard, this time we have floor 66 and 67 open.

Welp. They're having a meeting. We need to find a way to listen to it.

I'm not sure Cloud is the best person to ask this. He hears whispers everywhere.

You keep doing a great job of controlling the world while missing the fact the most wanted criminals are talking to you.

The guy talking about the bathroom is a hint that there's a duct linking the bathroom and the meeting room.

Hell yeah we're gonna listen to that stuff.

Couldn't they have, I don't know, did something less suicidal?

Oh snap.

What a very creative, original, brilliant name!

I dunno, if you guys invested in the space program maybe you could get satellites up and running to you could actually find the promised land instead of counting on a random girl to do it.

The guy is pretty much a caricature of the greedy evil businessman stereotype.

"After all, we're the ones who saved Sector 7 from AVALANCHE!"

Remember, Heidegger is the fat guy in green. He's the one we've seen in the previous flashback. He's a mega rear end in a top hat.

Hojo: "As a specimen, she is inferior to her mother. I'm still in the process of comparing her to her mother, Ifalna, but for now the difference is 18%."

President Shinra: "How long will the research take?"

Hojo: "Probably 120 years. It's probably impossible to finish in our lifetime. Or in the lifetime of the specimen for that matter."

What the heeeeeeeell :cry:

Also god drat you're an incompetent scientist, Hojo. 120 years to do a research?

Well, thank God.

I don't think any of the characters have showered yet.

As a bunch of ugly misplaced gray polygons.

The 67th floor, we're nearing the top... and we have yet to find Aeris.

We stop to walk around this floor, as there are once again random encounters here. This time we're putting our [Steal] Materia to good use against Moth Slashers.

They give us Carbon Bangles which are WAAAY out of our league. And you thought stealing was only useful in FF9!

We steal one for each character.

Sometimes you fight these... stop boards. Seriously, what the hell?

More importantly, you can fight these motherfuckers.

These are SOLDIER enemies, SOLDIER 3rd Class to be exact. They're not particularly hard being 3rd Class and all, but they do some peculiar things - they cast Bolt 2 and also cast Sleep on your characters.

These can be tough if you're underleveled, which we're not.

They also drop Loco Weeds.

Enduring the horrible beating however and we can steal [Hardedge] which is the best weapon Cloud can use, again, for a long while.

The Hardedge is similar to the Striking Staff of Aeris. It has almost twice as much Attack as ours do and more Materia slots too. Thanks to Steal, Cloud is wearing the best equipment possible at this point.

We go to the left follow Hojo and hide behind a box. He seems to be talking to a Red wolf tiger thing.

Hojo: "My precious specimen..."

Yea yea wait

Uh, wait

Cloud pretty much ignores Tifa to take a peak at the tank here.

What is going o...

:cry::cry::nws::nms:AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:nms::nws::cry::cry:

BURN IT BURN IT WITH FIRE AHHH

Next Time:

OH GOD WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT WE JUST SAW

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 5, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Sounds like something opened up.

I did NOT know that shop existed. Guess I've always just taken the stairs. I thought I knew this game inside out but I'm learning stuff every update.

I think the music in this area needs to be shown off. The Shinra Building is, as we've seen, big, and the same seven notes play over and over and over. I hate it. :argh:

(standard disclaimer, spoilers in comments and related videos)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

Also god drat you're an incompetent scientist, Hojo. 120 years to do a research?
He probably could have done it in a week, he just wanted an excuse to act out some horrible fantasies.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Those loving stairs. Most games I play reward the stealthy option with more challenging gameplay and better stuff for avoiding attention. What do I get here? gently caress YOU WORK THOSE LEGS. The dialogue isn't helping either. They're mostly pointing out that we're just climbing a long-rear end staircase. I KNOW. Acknowledgement of problem does not make it go away.

Jesus, did I miss stuff already. Fortunately, I've stopped playing altogether. I'm sorry, but the game just...isn't much fun to me. At least I got out of Midgar and most people say that's a good point to stop anyway. Not that I found Midgar particularily impressive. This whole building, for example, is tedious as all hell. Guard minigame, Midgar Parts...sheesh.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
The Shinra Building used to be one of my favorite sections of the game, but it was more because I liked how it looked, as well as the plot stuff that went on. It definitely wasn't because of the stupid puzzles or minigames. Back in the day I never figured out how that Mayor puzzle worked, so I'd always just guess and pray I got it right.

The guard "stealth" minigame is the worst. Get seen by a guard? Start the stupid tedious thing all over. It makes no sense because you're not exactly making an effort to hide from anyone else (unless you took the stairs, but that's rendered moot as soon as you get up them), and by now you've proven you can kick the poo poo out of the guards. Why are they trying so hard to avoid these?

I can't really blame people for being annoyed trying to play through the game for the first time nowadays. It does a lot of things that were removed from RPGs for a reason.

On the plus side, this is probably the first game I played that let you flush a toilet. I'd always do it after coming out from spying on the meeting, because I thought that made being in there so long seem less conspicuous. Never mind that a burly black man, a guy with a huge sword and a girl with a huge chest are all leaving one stall at the same time.

I also feel like I should point out that a guy working out in that weight room claims to be the head of security, so there's another reason why you're getting around so easily.

Adus fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 22, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

My favorite person in this building so far is Mayor Domino. Everyone else gives you keycards because they're idiots("You there, the one in the SOLDIER uniform and the guy with a gun welded on to his arm. You're here to fix the elevator, right?"), he does it just to gently caress with his bosses.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Adus posted:

The guard "stealth" minigame is the worst. Get seen by a guard? Start the stupid tedious thing all over. It makes no sense because you're not exactly making an effort to hide from anyone else (unless you took the stairs, but that's rendered moot as soon as you get up them), and by now you've proven you can kick the poo poo out of the guards. Why are they trying so hard to avoid these?

If you gently caress up enough times, it just lets you murder them and go, which is nice but begs the question "Why bother even trying?".

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Jenova has a nice rack for an eldritch abomination. If you ignore the eye-nipple.

I don't think this is a terribly good dungeon, to be honest. The choice between stairs and the elevator is nice, but the 60-and-up floors don't really make any sense, and the puzzles are pretty lame. Especially that stupid statue-stealth minigame. I hate stuff like that.
On the other hand, once you reach the lab it gets good. I love that creepy shot of Jenova, and the fact that you have no clue what the hell it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God, I love Hojo. He's just a spectacularly evil bastard. Of course, I'm personally biased towards mad scientists, so maybe that's just me.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Elentor posted:

That's gotta be some moth. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

God, I love Hojo. He's just a spectacularly evil bastard. Of course, I'm personally biased towards mad scientists, so maybe that's just me.

Well, anything specific would be spoilers, but yeah, Hojo is the most ridiculously, pointlessly evil person in the entire plot of this game and also the spin-offs. He's already shown at least some of that with his whole "breeding" thing, though. And he does it all for SCIENCE! :science:

• Locked thread