Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Simon Magus Says posted:

Is there any word on who was arrested in New Bedford and what the connection was?

Reuters via Twitter didn't go into detail but stated they were questioned and released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
Updated that post with the relevant info.

Perimeter Lobstahs: This is was it sounds like when you say "Perimeter Officers" with a thick Boston accent. Really the Boston accent last night led to it being possible to sit and listen to it for 15+ hours solid.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes, but your cops also shot some innocent people so you are kind of the loving platonic ideal of everything we were trying to avoid. A third a billion dollars is worth it to save even a single life. I find someone giving tips to us when you have Jean Charles de Menezes hanging over you to not so much be laughable as infinitely sad. Or Forest Gate. Terrorism threats make people stupid and violent, and that's the exact image we wanted to [And did successfully] avoid.

The reason the city was locked down for one day, that day, was because locking it down immediately allows them the greatest control in the most critical time. If they didn't find him in 24 hours, that probably would have been it. City open, try to hunt him down, give people some guidelines on how to act to keep things safer. But that one day made their job easier, and everyone else safer.

Ha if you think I am going to make an argument about the inept Met you are sadly mistaken, where did I say we were the platonic ideal? Having been around London during the 2005 bombings it was nice to see that most people just carried on as normal after.

If someone having the opinion that shutting down a city to capture a wounded 19 year old was an overreaction makes you infinitely sad, please dont have a gun close when you look up what's happening in Africa or North Korea. I dont suppose it can get any worse than infinite sadness though. Oh and stay away from the national and international press for the next few weeks, I dont think you're going to like it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Petey had a lot more connections than the one family, did he not? A friend of his friend owned the boat, and I know there was something else. It was getting really ridiculous how Petey had some connection to each event that unfolded.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
Yes, he posted that the boat belonged to a friend of a friend, and he lived about 1000ft (maybe yards) away.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

demonachizer posted:

And some conversions just require a little piece of metal that can be inserted into the gun. Which is probably why it was suggested that it can be easy to modify a weapon into full auto.

Lightning links and drop-in autosears exist, but only for some guns. My objection was to the blanket assertion that converting firearms in general to full auto is so easy anyone can do it at home full stop.

But frankly this is a pretty stupid derail. Let's just agree that all guns can be made full auto by a sheer act of will and move on. I'm not convincing anyone anyway.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Something that just occurred to me. It seems like the stay in place request and the close of business likely had more to do with the fact that so many Boston Police Assets were NOT in Boston for the day yesterday (and in other nearby communities) so they wanted to limit the likelihood of the normal day to day crime that would have otherwise occurred.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Marux posted:

Yes, he posted that the boat belonged to a friend of a friend, and he lived about 1000ft (maybe yards) away.

It's really eerie how close he was captured to the home of one of his victims, given the size of Boston.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Can someone transcribe what people said in the 'Kevin in n out' thing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

demonachizer posted:

Something that just occurred to me. It seems like the stay in place request and the close of business likely had more to do with the fact that so many Boston Police Assets were NOT in Boston for the day yesterday (and in other nearby communities) so they wanted to limit the likelihood of the normal day to day crime that would have otherwise occurred.

If the bombers were part of a terrorist cell, they could've agreed to do this suicide-escape thing to keep the entire city on high alert and then plan some more bombings afterwards when everyone's out and about again.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogge Wild posted:

1: Gonna be in and out real quick.
2: That's what they call me. Kevin "In and Out Real Quick" Brennan.
1: Oh, "Mr. In and Out", huh?

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Hogge Wild posted:

"Gonna be in and out real quick."
"That's what they call me, Kevin 'In And Out Real Quick' Brennan."
"Ah, Mr In And Out, huh?"

e;fb

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Marux posted:

Updated that post with the relevant info.

Perimeter Lobstahs: This is was it sounds like when you say "Perimeter Officers" with a thick Boston accent. Really the Boston accent last night led to it being possible to sit and listen to it for 15+ hours solid.

Can we get "High fives for everyone" "Let's keep it professional" (or however it was exactly) in there too?

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Marux posted:

Officer Nyeeeeeeh: No idea who this guy is, but he responded to someone over the police radio with "Well then Nyeeh" which prompted whoever he was speaking to to respond in kind but with a much longer "Nyeeeeeeh" like a morning cartoon show villain. It was really odd hearing it in the midst of people searching for a possible suicide bomber.
Here's a clip of it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Crotch posted:

1: Gonna be in and out real quick.
2: That's what they call me. Kevin "In and Out Real Quick" Brennan.
1: Oh, "Mr. In and Out", huh?

Snoop Radley posted:

"Gonna be in and out real quick."
"That's what they call me, Kevin 'In And Out Real Quick' Brennan."
"Ah, Mr In And Out, huh?"

e;fb

Thanks! :)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Could he be charged with vehicular manslaughter for running over his brother? If anyone else had done it they'd be a hero, but he can't easily claim he was trying to stop him.

I think they have plenty to charge with him already.

Also critical/stable are both real terms used in hospitals.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Simon Magus Says posted:

Is there any word on who was arrested in New Bedford and what the connection was?

I saw on one of the news channels that it was some former roommates who were questioned and released.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Also critical/stable are both real terms used in hospitals.

Nah, I heard on the Internet that they were made-up words. What're you trying to pull?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Loucks posted:

Nah, I heard on the Internet that they were made-up words. What're you trying to pull?

I mean they aren't used to describe patients anywhere in notes/between MDs or RNs/whatever but when you are talking to a family or even among one another it's the best way to explain something more complicated than that in short hand. The media doesn't make it up, though.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Has anybody made a "TACTICAL BEAR: DOIN' THANGS" image yet?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I mean they aren't used to describe patients anywhere in notes/between MDs or RNs/whatever but when you are talking to a family or even among one another it's the best way to explain something more complicated than that in short hand. The media doesn't make it up, though.

I was kidding. I know you're not full of poo poo.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Loucks posted:

I was kidding. I know you're not full of poo poo.

Sometimes I am :shobon:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there any precedent for waiting until someone is stabilized then reading miranda rights? I could see a lawyer arguing that when the defendant was read his rights, he was in no mental state to comprehend the rights, something like that.

I keep hearing that "they" are "refusing" to read his rights, but are they just waiting until such time as he is stable and coherent before technically "arresting" him?

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Elendil004 posted:

Is there any precedent for waiting until someone is stabilized then reading miranda rights? I could see a lawyer arguing that when the defendant was read his rights, he was in no mental state to comprehend the rights, something like that.

I keep hearing that "they" are "refusing" to read his rights, but are they just waiting until such time as he is stable and coherent before technically "arresting" him?

Yes, public safety exemption. Was covered earlier, long and short is that if the Feds or someone feels a subject has actionable intelligence about further plots, they can interrogate before Miranda is read. Impression I got was it's a day or two buffer before Miranda.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Has anyone in this thread even seen a Chechnyan?

I have cared for a few in Boston. Unknown if they are related as apparently there is a small community here. I have not cared for either brother, I can say.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Whattabout Troopah Trout? He was on the "who has a shift at midnight who is currently here roll-call." I think he needs recognition.

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
There's probably something, too, about "do you understand these rights as they are read to you"? I suspect he might have had an 'understanding' issue. Plus, the national security stuff. E004, did they cover this newer procedure in your time as a CG security apparatchik?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cucka posted:

Yes, public safety exemption. Was covered earlier, long and short is that if the Feds or someone feels a subject has actionable intelligence about further plots, they can interrogate before Miranda is read. Impression I got was it's a day or two buffer before Miranda.

They don't actually have to Mirandize them, if they do not plan on using any of their testimony in court.

Failure to read Miranda rights does not automatically cause the case to be thrown out, it just prevents anything they say after arrest from being used in court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Elendil004 posted:

A common misunderstanding is that the police must read you your rights the minute they place you under arrest. This is not true.

Miranda Rights must be read to a suspect if the following two criteria are met: 1) the suspect is officially in custody ("under arrest") and 2) The suspect is being questioned regarding the crime they are under arrest for.

So an officer can place you under arrest and then ask for you personal information (name, address, DOB) without Mirandizing you.

So as long as no one is questioning him about the crime, there is no technical reason to Mirandize him.

Then you also have fun stuff like Excited Utterences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excited_utterance

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Does anyone know what sort of sentencing will this guy receive if he makes it to court alive and is found guilty of terrorism and the murders? Is death penalty a possibility?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

El Hefe posted:

Does anyone know what sort of sentencing will this guy receive if he makes it to court alive and is found guilty of terrorism and the murders? Is death penalty a possibility?

Life without the possibility of parole. Must write "No more hurting people" on a chalkboard 1000 times per day.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

El Hefe posted:

Considering he was arrested under federal jurisdiction, the death penalty is a possibility for sure.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Seph posted:

Considering he was arrested under federal jurisdiction, the death penalty is a possibility for sure.

He could still be tried on a state level, though it isn't likely.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

El Hefe posted:

If he's tried in federal court, yes. Otherwise he will more than likely be put in prison for the rest of forever. The list of things he can be charged with are almost too many to count.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
It seems like he is almost better off if they weren't just spontaneous guys instead of part of a larger conspiracy. Like more opportunity to strike a deal to avoid death.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

El Hefe posted:

Of course.

The only way this guy doesn't get the DP is if he cooperates extremely well with the authorities and had some seriously good poo poo to tell them. Then he gets life in jail.

I think it's unlikely he knows enough and because his brother is dead there's no need for testimony to help convict him, so my guess is he's hosed.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Elendil004 posted:

If this was a sure fire way to get out of prosecution, every criminal in a standoff situation would wound themselves so they could claim that in their delirium they did not understand or were not read their rights. Miranda rights are great for "gotcha!" drama on TV but my (admittedly limited) understanding of the law is that they're not as big of a deal as law and order has made them sound. Cop and court dramas have done a lot to mystify the legal system, and while it makes for great TV it leads people to believe things like crime scene investigators making arrests and blood spatter analysts being secret murderers.

I could honestly see this guy making a plea deal to get out of the death penalty and this never going to trial in the first place, so even if mirandizing was an issue it's probably not going to be an issue in this case unless the prosecution is hell bent on giving this guy a lethal injection.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Mirthless posted:

unless the prosecution is hell bent on giving this guy a lethal injection.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were. That said I think it could be hard to get the death penalty for a 19 y/o if the defense does a good job as painting him as the victim of his older, deader brother's influence etc...

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Man, I'm still chuckling at this from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahwSmcZxBAU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It apparently became necessary for the Ambassador of the Czech Republic to inform morons that they aren't Chechnya

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/czech_u_s_relations/news/statement_of_the_ambassador_of_the_czech.html

quote:

As many I was deeply shocked by the tragedy that occurred in Boston earlier this month. It was a stark reminder of the fact that any of us could be a victim of senseless violence anywhere at any moment.

As more information on the origin of the alleged perpetrators is coming to light, I am concerned to note in the social media a most unfortunate misunderstanding in this respect. The Czech Republic and Chechnya are two very different entities - the Czech Republic is a Central European country; Chechnya is a part of the Russian Federation.

As the President of the Czech Republic Miloš Zeman noted in his message to President Obama, the Czech Republic is an active and reliable partner of the United States in the fight against terrorism. We are determined to stand side by side with our allies in this respect, there is no doubt about that.

• Locked thread