Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Pirate of Penzance posted:

Hmm.... interesting thought. The question would then become how prevalent would WP farming for votes become. In the end any system that uses in games metrics will try to gamed to a certain extent.

I can't think of many actions that generate WP outside of Drop Uplinks in the MCC that don't qualify as playing the game. And it's not like you get more votes on an account for having more WP. Someone creating multiple PSNs and playing them all enough to garner enough points to get multiple votes isn't much different from someone plexing multiple accounts for a couple months to get multiple EVE votes. Either way they're generating content/revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CCP released this new DUST 514 trailer. I was so excited when I thought it was Mike Rowe doing the V/O but it sounds like a different guy but with a similar tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_LlH2c5dyA

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Due to our overlords doing important PEST control...

:frogsiren: PC BATTLE TONIGHT :frogsiren:

The brave forces of "Northwind Alliance" wish to take possession of one of our districts.

:frogsiren: 23:10 EVE time :frogsiren:

Be there. Or don't. Up to you, but it'd be helpful if you were. Even if we have no room, you still might be needed for a sub!

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
This is a post I put up in the Bugs/Feedback section has anyone else had similar problems?
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=86184

This is my typical starting game scenario. I spawn hit L1 to sight on a squad mate to put a defend order on them, instead of aiming down the sight it throws a grenade at my feet, once i throw all the grenades I'm able to aim down the sight. Also the correct grenade button always works so in essence I can throw grenades with either L1 or L2 but can only aim down the sight L1 when I've gotten rid of all my grenades. If it was a matter of the controller being fubar I would expect that the L1 would never function correctly and always throw grenades or attempt to not work as intended as soon as I have none. Also if I do not equip grenades at all the L1 button always works as intended and aims down the sight. Currently that is my work around, removing grenades from my loadouts but obviously not prefered especially since I have grenades skilled to 5 and like using proto AV grenades.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

This is a post I put up in the Bugs/Feedback section has anyone else had similar problems?
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=86184

This is my typical starting game scenario. I spawn hit L1 to sight on a squad mate to put a defend order on them, instead of aiming down the sight it throws a grenade at my feet, once i throw all the grenades I'm able to aim down the sight. Also the correct grenade button always works so in essence I can throw grenades with either L1 or L2 but can only aim down the sight L1 when I've gotten rid of all my grenades. If it was a matter of the controller being fubar I would expect that the L1 would never function correctly and always throw grenades or attempt to not work as intended as soon as I have none. Also if I do not equip grenades at all the L1 button always works as intended and aims down the sight. Currently that is my work around, removing grenades from my loadouts but obviously not prefered especially since I have grenades skilled to 5 and like using proto AV grenades.

Have you tried this with a different controller? If not, it's possible your L1 button is triggering both L1 and L2 at the same time. Might be as simple as a piece of material stuck inside. If it's only happening with that controller, I would open it up and see if there is anything in there or any wear damage.

If you have tried with a second controller and your having the same issue, it could still be a physical problem with controller input on the PS3.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 11, 2013

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Someone noticed that the new dust trailer has the stats for the upcoming ferroscale and reactive plates.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=86548&find=unread

If you can't watch the video, the summary is that both new types are terrible in every way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Account_Username posted:

Someone noticed that the new dust trailer has the stats for the upcoming ferroscale and reactive plates.

If you can't watch the video, the summary is that both new types are terrible in every way.

What about the self-repairing plates?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

What about the self-repairing plates?

Also terrible. They only repair as much as a basic repair mod, give as much hp as a militia plate, and have a 4% movement penalty.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Account_Username posted:

Also terrible. They only repair as much as a basic repair mod, give as much hp as a militia plate, and have a 4% movement penalty.

I wonder, though, if these plates carry the same bonus for skilling into Armor Repair.

If so, color me intrigued.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hobo on Fire posted:

Have you tried this with a different controller? If not, it's possible your L1 button is triggering both L1 and L2 at the same time. [...]

If you have tried with a second controller and your having the same issue, it could still be a physical problem with controller input on the PS3.

This can be figured out by playing another game with both L1 and L2 inputs and seeing if it's still buggy :science:

However there was a bug with L1 button behavior in Chromosome, so I wouldn't rule it out. It happened sometimes when I hit L1 to get in the Neocom while looking at some overlay while spawned, and then closed the overlay. At this point, trying to aim down my sights would open the Neocom :haw:

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Account_Username posted:

That's a pretty epic meltdown, even by official forums standards

An Insane Person posted:

Never.
EVER.
Post again when it comes to balancing.
:stare:

:siren: Also, we need more bodies for the corp battle in 25 min :siren:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

PC match battle report: The other guys killed half their team with their own orbital.

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?
this was almost akin to taking the football team in to pound on the grade schoolers.

Even though we had a full squad of enthusiastic newbies led by Sammus.

Goons seem to be doing ok without ringers.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Account_Username posted:

What tier? If that's basic, they still might be usable. And if repair rate increases with the repair skill...

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?

What tier? If that's basic, they still might be usable. And if repair rate increases with the repair skill...

they are absolute poo poo.

Stats:
Complex ferroscale plate:
60 HP

Complex reactive:
45 hp, 2hp/s, 4% movement penalty

You get less than half the benefit of complex reactive than you do running a single complex plate + complex rep

Complex ferroscale provides less benefit than a complex shield extender. they're poo poo. absolute poo poo.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Proto self-repair plates (Reflective?) have the armor values and repair values of basic T1 modules. Right now they serve no purpose as you get more HP and a higher repair rate by just having one regular plate and one regular repairer compared to two do-it-all modules.

e: As a side note, the Minmatar Heavy in that video has an equipment slot. :toot:

Aurra fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 12, 2013

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Thats for the complex. They are indeed poo poo.

Looks like they have higher CPU and PG cost than standard plates and reppers as well.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 12, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whelp. CCP confirmed for having no godly idea how to balance things. Armor tanking still "bad" compared to shield tanking. Complex healing plate should have been as good as enhanced of both.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I dunno, I see these plates being useful for people skilling into scout suits. Gives them some extra survivability without costing them much in the way of movement speed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IronSaber posted:

I dunno, I see these plates being useful for people skilling into scout suits. Gives them some extra survivability without costing them much in the way of movement speed.

I feel like they'd detract froom other, more useful modules. A scout's life is his speed, from what I can tell. 60hp means he can survive one more ar shot than usual, at the cost of a low. Normal ARs, anyway.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I feel like they'd detract froom other, more useful modules. A scout's life is his speed, from what I can tell. 60hp means he can survive one more ar shot than usual, at the cost of a low. Normal ARs, anyway.

Sometimes one shot makes all the difference. I've been in a handful of situations where I've been at exactly 0 health and shields desperately waiting for one to recharge over the other.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
They should give the reactive plates the same armor repair rate as the current armor reps and buff the current armor reps. That would make armor tanking a lot more manageable given how fast shields recharge.

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?
both modules are worthless.

half (or less) the benefit of standard equipment plus a higher fitting cost.

Well done CCP, well done.

you can get more bang for your buck with 2 reps + 2 complex plates at about the same utility. CCP is balancing to maintain the status quo. this is where they are going wrong.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

They should take the current plates and make them light/medium/heavy variants at the standard level. The higher tier versions would offer similar protection with less movement cost. Advanced/Complex armor should be better materials, not just a thicker (and therefore heavier) version of the basic plates.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I must be in the minority then, because the shield/armor balance feels fine to me, and the new modules look like they would fit in just fine.

The most interesting part of the PC match today for me personally was having a minute long shootout with a Gallente proto outside of D. I just did not understand how he replenished his armor HP so quickly until I noticed the 5 triage hives he had around him. I did manage to get him in the end with some help, so thank god for that. :downs:

Also, can we please not all run away from the point that is closest to their redline after we cap it? I see pubbies do it all the time and it drives me nuts. If the map is:

Red spawn - D - (AB) - C - Blue spawn, and we just capped D, we really need to maintain a presence there because it's going to get flipped one minute after we're gone. At least with three people. 3 out of 16 to hold a point that produces 1/4 of the MCC damage really gets us ahead.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Well in any case, these haven't officially hit the market yet, so CCP still has time to make some tweaks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LostInTheSauce posted:

Goons seem to be doing ok without ringers.

Eh, we're learning, at least. I still feel pretty useless with even spray 'n pray weapons, though. Aim assist :arghfist::saddowns:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
When is the subdreddit PC match?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Speaking as a Scout, I would probably use one of those Ferroscales as-is, though of course I wouldn't mind them pushing the numbers up to match Shield Extenders.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Applied as Valus Tenton, I was in Immobile Infantry

Peacec
Feb 25, 2006
Applied as Jalfure Talzin

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Am I doing something horribly wrong?

This game looks blurry and terrible on my monitor. I have an HDMI cable running from my ps3 and my monitor, and when I get ingame, I can barely tell whats going on. There's just so much blurry, messy graphics and jagged edges everywhere.

Is it my setup that's causing this? Or some setting i can change?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Sounds like a problem with your monitor. Or the settings on it. Are you using a TV or a computer monitor?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Computer monitor.

I have 2d fighting games that look great on the monitor, but anything 3D that runs on 720p on my monitor looks like smashed rear end.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I love how in that photo showing off the new plates, CCP managed to gently caress up their own character so much that he has negative SP.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats on winning the PC Matches the other day. It was Subdreddit and some other random group right?

Umbreon posted:

Am I doing something horribly wrong?

This game looks blurry and terrible on my monitor. I have an HDMI cable running from my ps3 and my monitor, and when I get ingame, I can barely tell whats going on. There's just so much blurry, messy graphics and jagged edges everywhere.

Is it my setup that's causing this? Or some setting i can change?

Silly question, but what's your output resolution at? We've had people using the app from the company I work for having the same issue and it turns out its just that app doesn't support anything under 720p, it could be the same thing for you.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 12, 2013

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Umbreon posted:

Computer monitor.

I have 2d fighting games that look great on the monitor, but anything 3D that runs on 720p on my monitor looks like smashed rear end.

Sounds like your monitor might not be set for the right display resolution. Check to see if you can change any of the settings on the screen itself.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

Congrats on winning the PC Matches the other day. It was Subdreddit and some other random group right?

Silly question, but what's your output resolution at? We've had people using the app from the company I work for having the same issue and it turns out its just that app doesn't support anything under 720p, it could be the same thing for you.

I dont think LCD monitors choose what resolution they display at. It's whatever the device connected to them is telling it to display at.

Gearhead posted:

Sounds like your monitor might not be set for the right display resolution. Check to see if you can change any of the settings on the screen itself.

See above. When I'm using my monitor for my computer, it's at 1920x1080. But, when I have my input switched to my PS3, if I'm running a 720p game like Dust, it drops down to 1280×720. That's the default resolution for 720p anything.

Blazblue for example, uses 1080p resolution and looks waaaaaay better on my monitor.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 12, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
LCD screens look like rear end when they're displaying anything but their native resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

LCD screens look like rear end when they're displaying anything but their native resolution.

Ah, that explains it. Am I just totally hosed unless I want to haul my ps3 to another room then?

• Locked thread