Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Replaying EO3 is really reminding me how much I dislike Princess mainclass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

Replaying EO3 is really reminding me how much I dislike Princess mainclass

It's all worth it for hype princess.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's all worth it for hype princess.

*gazes at TP pool of ~70 with 10-12+ TP cost skills and a heal tick for 11*

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

Worth it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

gannyGrabber posted:

You need to level up, Chameleon King is one of those rear end in a top hat bosses that are too strong for when you unlock them, much like the Baboon King.

If you're dead set on fighting him now, make sure you leg bind him so you can land hits and prevent him from going invisible.

I paralyzed him. Same difference when it came to its HP vanishing to Squall Volley.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Hivac posted:

I dunno, my princess never had TP issues.

I didn't sub her with monk on my first playthrough though, so she was mostly buffing which would keep her TP from dropping too quickly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

gannyGrabber posted:

You need to level up, Chameleon King is one of those rear end in a top hat bosses that are too strong for when you unlock them, much like the Baboon King.

If you're dead set on fighting him now, make sure you leg bind him so you can land hits and prevent him from going invisible.

He's not. The Chameleon King is doable when you unlock him if you play smart. Baboon King is too strong though.

But that is a pretty low damage party. The way you can deal with the Chameleon King is to Poison him, since the Poison damage will break his invisibility. Paralyzing him, putting him to sleep, or binding his legs will kill his evasion, so you can hit him even when he goes invis. Or in the case of Paralysis, he can't go invis at all. Or use a Burst Skill, those will always hit.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I beat all three dragons while under level 60 with my Runemasters :stare:. First try on all of them except I had to respec for the Storm Emperor after losing once, Galvanic Rune just wasn't doing enough damage even after the lightning resist debuff. I don't have enough Theriaca As available to try the Fallen One right now, but it looks rough at this level, I might have to work on the Hall of Darkness a bit first. Does he have a stronger arm bind resist than head and legs? Because Dead Claw is destroying me and he never seems to arm bind himself with Darkness Curse.

When the Fallen One uses Darkness Curse, he will never bind the body part that he's about to attack with. No idea on what his resistances are, sorry.

Hivac posted:

Mainclass Prince isn't good, but they don't have TP problems. In fact that's part of the reason they're not good. Their class skill tries to solve a problem they don't even have, and does it in a terrible way. Monk/Prince is better since they have a much better class skill, and a higher TEC stat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I'm under no illusions re: my party being poorly optimized. Etrian Odyssey IV is the first game in the series I've made any real progress in (dropped III), so I'm still getting a feel for things. That said, I kinda wanna finish with this group since I've gotten this far with them.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Alright, Claret Hollows is bullshit, I give up! It's just not any fun!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Monk/Prince is better since they have a much better class skill, and a higher TEC stat.

I'm gonna stop you right there. Because Ninja Princess is the best class set in the world.
I'm sure Monk protect order is pretty awesome, but I don't really need to use up a slot for that because I'm line healing every single turn.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You don't need line heal every turn if you're getting 400 hp heals for the full party effortlessly.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

This sounds like your first postgame experience? :unsmigghh:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Crosspeice posted:

This sounds like your first postgame experience? :unsmigghh:

I went through EO4's twice without hating my life. This one's not just hard, it's malicious and unfair. It's an RNG where every result is "gently caress you"!

E: Hnnnngh why is it still 3 months to untold 2? I'm angsting for more story mode nonsense.

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 3, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

You don't need line heal every turn if you're getting 400 hp heals for the full party effortlessly.

Pretty much. Protect Order gives them a lot more free turns to work with, which can be spent on buffs or other stuff. The only times a Monk should be using Line Heal or Party heal is in emergencies, you're using up all three of your buff slots for something else, or if you're facing a boss that gets mad if you have too many buffs, which only applies to Dragon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

gannyGrabber posted:

I'd recommend Grimoire hunting to get through EOU's version. What floor are you on?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd recommend Grimoire hunting to get through EOU's version.
fuuuuuuuuuck yooooouuuuu :mad:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

theshim posted:

fuuuuuuuuuck yooooouuuuu :mad:

It's what I had to do. :(

theshim
May 1, 2012

oh hey a grimoire i wonder what's on this one

> multishot 1

aljsdhbfklasdbflkajdbfkl

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Perhaps you should get a King Grimoire to help out your team. :unsmigghh:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd recommend Grimoire hunting to get through EOU's version. What floor are you on?

I'm on the 26/27 duo. I keep falling down onto 27 because I'm dumb and bad. I've trained myself to use L/R to sidestep so I can go fast through dungeons and it's really biting me in the rear end now. I swapped over to picnic so I could map it without hating my life, I am ashamed.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Perhaps you should get a King Grimoire to help out your team. :unsmigghh:

What's that?

E: Also, are there any must-have conditional drops up in this beotch for the story mode team? There seem to be a lot of them and they're all hard to get...

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 4, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

What's that?

Shh, shh don't worry, he's kidding. There's no such thing as a King Grimoire. They don't exist. Just forget about it, yeah?

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

gannyGrabber posted:

What's that?

Nononono don't go this way, only madness lies here.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
What are suggested builds for survivalists in EOU?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

steakmancer posted:

lie on the floor and weep

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

I'm on the 26/27 duo. I keep falling down onto 27 because I'm dumb and bad. I've trained myself to use L/R to sidestep so I can go fast through dungeons and it's really biting me in the rear end now. I swapped over to picnic so I could map it without hating my life, I am ashamed.

Just a heads up: you're going to HATE Floor 29. And probably Floor 30, too.

As far as King Grimoires go, they're Grimoire Stones that require you to line up the last digit number of all of your stats on your guild card (Like en earned, Grimoire Chances, steps taken, etc.) aside from play time.

With all of those lined up, you have a chance of Fenrir, Cernunnos, Ant Queen, Corotrangul, Iwaoropenelep, Alraune, and Manticore dropping a rare Level 10 skill.

You might get lucky and get it on your first try.

Or you might end up being unlucky and having to fight it 30+ times. :shepicide:

theshim
May 1, 2012

steakmancer posted:

kill you're famil

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

What's that?

E: Also, are there any must-have conditional drops up in this beotch for the story mode team? There seem to be a lot of them and they're all hard to get...

King Grimoires are special skills you can grab off the story bosses (And Manticore and Alraune) in the game. The way you increase the chances of getting them are ridiculous, though. Something along the lines of matching the same singles digit number on your guild card. It's pretty much RNG bullshit, though (which is how I got Fenrir's and Iwaoren... The bird boss. Complete drat luck, too, because I think those are some of the best ones...)

As for must-have conditionals, I suggest just cutting the middleman and just dup some Formaldehydes, if they're so hard to get. I'd recommend killing the Wyvern for drops, because IIRC it drops the best spear for the Highlander. No idea on any specific ones you'd want, though.

And, yeah, it is pretty bull to go through the Claret Hollows just from the encounters alone. I managed it on Classic, but that's mainly because I could get better skills without swapping character classes all around for them. If you go through Classic and try the 6th stratum again (Or willing to grind up skills from another class), I'd suggest the Survivalist's skills, the one to increase preemptive strikes and negate ambushes, on a Grimoire Stone for general exploration. Maaaaaaybe get Iwaoropenelep's King Grimoire if you're a masochist and/or extremely lucky.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Just a heads up: you're going to HATE Floor 29. And probably Floor 30, too.

I don't actually understand the hate for Floor 29. Sure, it took me a while to learn the FOE movements*, but the teleport maze wasn't THAT bad, especially with a map.

i mean ok my map looks completely rear end because of all the icons and symbols i had to improvise but it was actually fun! more than the 30th one at least.

*(I actually remembered Dr. Fetus's EO2 LP and the Shelltors in the fourth stratum, and I was so freaking happy when I realized they had the same pattern. Thanks Fetus!)

BlackPersona fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 4, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
So basically the 6th stratum exists for the sole purpose of masochistic nerd wank..? God drat.

I'm beginning to remember why i never played through it back when EO1 first came out. I vaguely remember taking about 7 steps in and just quitting right then, and trading the game in!

theshim posted:

kill you're famil

Survivalists have good hats, though. Are they really that bad? Sticking one in the back row and doing a full dodge/taunt build would work, right?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

King Grimoires can also be obtained via sorcery, but only if your name is Dr. Fetus

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

gannyGrabber posted:

Survivalists have good hats, though. Are they really that bad? Sticking one in the back row and doing a full dodge/taunt build would work, right?

Don't mind him. He's lost his mind after Dr. Fetus pushed him to do a 5 Survivalist run of EOU.

He's on Stratum 3 now I think. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Personally, I built mine as a support class.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

What's the best way to deal with the spooky depths or whatever the gently caress the level 1 dungeon after the mystery woods is? It starts out well enough, but even murdering every enemy you come across and going through every inch of every floor still doesn't seem to be enough. Every attempt so far has been good out of the gate, but no amount of grinding can save me from the level curve of the later floors where your equipment can't keep up with the strength of the monsters, and the only way to get new gear is the wandering boxes but that's not a sure thing and I don't think the gear even scales with floor because I was getting loads of knives and lovely hats regardless of depth. Is there a preferred class? Is it just a "pray to the RNG and hope it doesn't gently caress you in the rear end" type situation?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:hellyeah:

I take back what I said. Phantom Depths is the best dungeon. I think it's one of the few times I actually had fun with this game. Oh and I was wrong about the boss HP. He does have 1900, but he spams the heal move so much that he effectively has an extra 1600 HP on top of that. After 8 casts, he stops using it. I have no idea how to get his other drops, and you have to get his common drop 4 TIMES in order to unlock ONE piece of gear.

You so funny game.

Cernunnos posted:

Don't mind him. He's lost his mind after Dr. Fetus pushed him to do a 5 Survivalist run of EOU.

He's on Stratum 3 now I think. :v:

I only made the one post. :v:

Cicadas! posted:

What's the best way to deal with the spooky depths or whatever the gently caress the level 1 dungeon after the mystery woods is? It starts out well enough, but even murdering every enemy you come across and going through every inch of every floor still doesn't seem to be enough. Every attempt so far has been good out of the gate, but no amount of grinding can save me from the level curve of the later floors where your equipment can't keep up with the strength of the monsters, and the only way to get new gear is the wandering boxes but that's not a sure thing and I don't think the gear even scales with floor because I was getting loads of knives and lovely hats regardless of depth. Is there a preferred class? Is it just a "pray to the RNG and hope it doesn't gently caress you in the rear end" type situation?

Are you doing a solo or a party? Because I did a solo Wanderer run. What you need to do is start a snowball. You need a good start, and to kill everything you come across. Do not hoard. Every item you come across has to be used to good effect, otherwise they will eat up valuable inventory space when you could be getting better items. Remember that you have both everything and nothing to lose. If you die you'll lose everything, so you might as well use up every item you come across. Now something important to keep in mind, you're not actually doing a 61 floor dungeon. You are actually doing a 161 floor dungeon. You need to be thorough in your explorations, but not too thorough, otherwise you'll go hungry. There's a power spike when the Amber surges. You want to make your that your character can handle the weaker monsters easily by that point. Take down the stronger monsters so you don't get overwhelmed. Also, another handy tip. When you reach the stairs leading to the boss, starve yourself. The Demented King has a few attacks that can cause paralysis, but the damage you take from starvation will immediately cancel that out. In the first half of the fight at least. Eventually that stops working, but it's a huge help for the first half.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 4, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cernunnos posted:

Please, I made him do 5 medics in EO4, 5 Survivalists is easy mode in comparison...

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Please, I made him do 5 medics in EO4, 5 Survivalists is easy mode in comparison...
surprisingly, it really isn't

for three reasons

1 is that eo4 actually has good class balance, while eou's is poo poo

2 is that medics at least had being loving invincible going for them while survivalists have gently caress all

3 is gently caress grimoires with a rake

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
RIP theshim 2012-2015, died to survivalists

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

steakmancer posted:

Healer. Get that skill that doubles items efficiency and spam healing items.

Or support. Their debuffs are surprisingly helpful.

SC Bracer posted:

RIP theshim 2012-2015, died to survivalists

My five landsharks fight on for him.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hivac posted:

King Grimoires can also be obtained via sorcery, but only if your name is Dr. Fetus

Oh please, if I can do it, you can too.

I will never reveal my secrets.

Also, Survivalists have been a terrible class since EO2. At least in EOU they're the best Medics in the game, but that's all they have going for them. Please don't let EO2U Survivalists be terrible. :negative:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

theshim posted:

eo4 actually has good class balance, while eou's is poo poo

Honestly this is the main reason I haven't picked up any EO game besides 4, though I'll probably break and get EOU eventually.

Just really hoping EO5 has good class balance too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Please don't let EO2U Survivalists be terrible. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsWw3rouyc

This is way longer than it should be because of the person menu navigating to the music for the whole fight but it does nasty things with Survivalist

• Locked thread