Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the most endemic problem to romcom series is how slow everything is at the beginning and how long it takes for the series to find its stride. Once it gets over the initial character introduction hurdles and the author finds their groove, the story generally gets an uptick in quality. Or at least more interesting things happen beyond the standard hijinks. This may be partially influenced with my recent reading of Kawaisou since the portion the anime adapted is interesting, but it gets better beyond that section due to the secondary cast bouncing off of the main characters better than the mains bounce off of each other.

Heck, even the definitive classics of that genre like Urusei Yatsura improve by leaps and bounds after that beginning stretch so it's far from being without precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Ushio and Tora was always super obscure, the only reason I knew about it was because back in the day there was a UK SNES mag that reviewed all kinds of weird Japanese import games and would run little pieces about the anime they were based on.
I think if people are finding it interesting it's mostly because you don't really get that kind of anime much anymore.

That sounds like a cool magazine.

I'm hoping that between this and Parasyte they just go full on hog wild in adapting 90s stuff that never had an anime.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Srice posted:

Heck, even the definitive classics of that genre like Urusei Yatsura improve by leaps and bounds after that beginning stretch so it's far from being without precedent.

The second movie was really good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

The second movie was really good

:agreed:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It amazes me how many of the classics I've never seen.

No Trigun, no Cowboy Bebop, no NGE, no Tenchi Muyo, no Urusei Yatsura, no Gundam, etc.

I haven't seen Samurai Champloo either, though I wonder if that counts as a classic. It's over 10 years old, but it's still in the 200s.

I did see a few episodes of Gaogaigar though so I consider myself an expert on all old-school anime,

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

I'm hoping that between this and Parasyte they just go full on hog wild in adapting 90s stuff that never had an anime.

It was called Super Play and there's scans online (or there were) if you're interested. It's very British though. :v:

That'd be cool, my personal preference would be for someone to adapt some of The Guyver that hasn't already been animated twice (three times for the first couple of chapters) but the last series was like 2006 so they'd probably just start again.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 21, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

It's not exclusive to romance either, one piece prior to arlong park, when it's recruiting the base crew, is often considered the weakest part of the entire series.

Srice posted:

Or just anything that never got an anime.

Dorohedoro please :unsmigghh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dogsicle posted:

Ushio isn't bad but it's weird that a super 90's shounen is getting so much praise

Because it's not moe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seriously though, Ushio to Tora's animation is really neat and it's just surprising to see a show that looks so unbelievably 90s come out with 0 fanfare and nail the aesthetic and mood really well. It's funny and the faces are cool, not surprising that people are enjoying it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tora is moe to me

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The romcom has the weakness that no relationship will ever mature beyond an awkward date because if someone's waifu gets into a relationship, several geeks will commit suicide.

It's weird that a trope of a romantic genre is that no one can actually date.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats not true

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

thats not true

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

for example, the manga/show that sparked this whole conversation to begin with

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe if your experience with 'romance' is lovely harem comedies.
Even then they usually end up with someone eventually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In ore Monogatari they start dating in the first episode.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In Training posted:

In ore Monogatari they start dating in the first episode.

Third, actually.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe if your experience with 'romance' is lovely harem comedies.
Even then they usually end up with someone eventually.

Yeah and even with those it's not because of waifus or whatever, it's because it's easier to write hijinx and ~misunderstandings~ if the leads aren't officially together.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

But aren't misunderstandings the lifeblood of all romcoms, anime or otherwise?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Just tell me what needs to be sacrificed to whom to get either a full Battle Angel Alita or Blame! series and I'll see that it's done! :worship:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

In Training posted:

Seriously though, Ushio to Tora's animation is really neat and it's just surprising to see a show that looks so unbelievably 90s come out with 0 fanfare and nail the aesthetic and mood really well. It's funny and the faces are cool, not surprising that people are enjoying it.

i like the aesthetics and comedy, it's just the really unremarkable serious action bits that put me off. also it sucks that UtT got away with keeping its 90s style while Parasyte was updated.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just tell me what needs to be sacrificed to whom to get either a full Battle Angel Alita or Blame! series and I'll see that it's done! :worship:

As this point I'm more worried that a Blame! series would be in Sidonia's awful cg rather than not existing at all. Gunnm is definitely my first choice for a 90s revival though. Preferably not Mars Chronicles.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

dogsicle posted:

As this point I'm more worried that a Blame! series would be in Sidonia's awful cg rather than not existing at all. Gunnm is definitely my first choice for a 90s revival though. Preferably not Mars Chronicles.

Sidonia looked just fine. You're being too picky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hungryjack posted:

The action is good, but the character stuff... has a certain degree of room for improvement.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like Nihei's art, not extremely bland cg

e: robot stuff is fine but that's it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i like Nihei's art, not extremely bland cg

e: robot stuff is fine but that's it

Everything but the characters looks good, and then it and other shows with the same tech just have janky, unnatural looking people. It sucks!

I can see that stuff being good several years down the line but for the time being I really dislike it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hungryjack posted:

Compared to most anime/manga artwork yes, but Tsutomu Nihei's stuff is very stylized and that's where the complaints come from. Any of his works would look far better with 2D animation.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Compared to most anime/manga artwork yes, but Tsutomu Nihei's stuff is very stylized and that's where the complaints come from. Any of his works would look far better with 2D animation.

I agree with you about Battle Angel, though. That show is a long time coming.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Hungryjack posted:

But aren't misunderstandings the lifeblood of all romcoms, anime or otherwise?
Quite a few villain backstories as well.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Srice posted:

Everything but the characters looks good, and then it and other shows with the same tech just have janky, unnatural looking people. It sucks!

I can see that stuff being good several years down the line but for the time being I really dislike it.

It might actually look a lot better if those studios could just let go of trying to make animated CG characters look like hand-animated ones. 12fps CG is weird.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

.jpg posted:

It might actually look a lot better if those studios could just let go of trying to make animated CG characters look like hand-animated ones. 12fps CG is weird.

Yeah definitely. They should use the strengths of the medium instead of trying to make it into something it's not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, apparently Ushio and Tora is slated for 39 episodes to cover the whole of the manga (33 volumes), someone must have some faith in the property.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not like Blame! really has many characters to worry about and they already made a CG Killy. I'd be down for it even if it looked just like Sidonia.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, apparently Ushio and Tora is slated for 39 episodes to cover the whole of the manga (33 volumes), someone must have some faith in the property.

Bankrolled by a tech billionaire otaku whose only wish in life is to see his favourite manga get a good treatment.

(at least that is how I plan to waste my billions)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CuLT posted:

Bankrolled by a tech billionaire otaku whose only wish in life is to see his favourite manga get a good treatment.

(at least that is how I plan to waste my billions)

I would make Haruhi season 3 in this scenario

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

yuyushiki is the only correct choice

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are too many good things (jojo, yuasa, shirobako, gin no saji) to fund just one

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

there are too many good things (jojo, yuasa, shirobako, gin no saji) to fund just one

Yeah, you'd really have to spend all the billions.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

"I would like to turn manga into anime."

"Sir, which one?"

"All of them."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would make the Daigo manga into a really epic anime film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i even forgot LATBH in my list, there truly are too many dream projects

• Locked thread